AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-28, 07:01   Link #10441
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
My biggest issue is that i am 24 and i still didn't find love, i mean not true love or something like it i mean everything.... i hate to say it out loud i'm 24 i never had a relationship in my entire life, not even for a few hours, i'm a virgin, did not have my first kiss and i'm feeling depressed on this matter because i sometimes if not always i feel like i'm too arrogant and act as if i'm someone superior; i'm not considering myself like this because i'm a bit clumsy i have no talent for anything the only good thing about me is that i can retain information very fast, and a lot of it; I liked to help people a lot in any thing that i could help, but because of many of my so called "friends" just used me to get better grades , i might have changed into something ugly, without my knowledge. i'm also afraid of becoming an outcast, and i'm a bit inept in social skills like communicating, i'm also looking for some advice about this matter, but the good thing that these "bad" changes were discovered by myself, and i'm fighting against them.
People read you like an employer reads a resume. Your introduction of yourself gives a strong 'oh this is what everyone says about themselves' presence. If there's nothing you have that can give people a more distinct impression of yourself, you need to make up something or add something to your lifestyle. From a sliding scale of online poker to camping to skydiving to drawing incomprehensible things.

Quote:
i do not consider myself a very bad guy, my colleagues at work say that i'm kind, and hard-working, and try my best to help someone ( actually they said this to my mom who in turn told me.. and that she is very proud of me)... okay okay i'm a good guy but in today's world the good guys end up friend zoned....and that is not getting me anywhere
It's better you restrain comments about your mother. Moms and girlfriends are natural enemies. There's nothing wrong with feeling respected or respecting your parents, but it's a negative quality to be talking about it to whoever your date is.

Quote:
i'm a clean person, i do chores at home(because i live alone for 2 years now), i cook, wash, literally everything that needs to be done at home,
This is personality-specific but quite often, women would rather you not be 100% covered on all parts of your daily living. Then they feel unneeded. My ex-gf complains but enjoys cleaning up after me because I leave things around whenever I go to her house. I am actually not that rudely messy at other people's houses but I do that on purpose.

Quote:
i "fell in love" cuple of times, i courted the respective girls, i treated them as ladies, but i only got in the "friend Zone" every time.
'Friend zoning' is either a witty way to reject you and make fun of how gullible you are, or that girl is actually just some unreasonable extreme idealist who thinks men can genuinely be 'those kinds' of friends. Always take it as a staight-forward rejection. Going back and forth for 1 person will make time in your life fly by in an instant.

Quote:
and another thing where should i search for potential partners??? considering i'm not rich, please do not suggest too fancy places. anyhting would be fine
Most commonly, through male friends. People network and meet friends of each other. Hang around with out-going guys and you'll generally expand your social circle by their influence.

Forcefully, you can go to some post-secondary institution for a 2-4 year program to get some random skill you think might be good for having while having the opportunity to meet women 18~20's.

Municipal clubs/events. For example, volunteering, sports groups, festivals.. Working is better than attending. but you have to be out there.

I don't personally recommend relationship rooting from the internet. It's a gamble of time and the large majority of internet dating are directionless people who are not willing to commit. And those that are eager to commit come off as scammers xDDD
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 12:09   Link #10442
csuree
The Most Hated™

huh thanks those were good advice.....

about the too general introduction that sounded plain, i did not present my whole self there and also i have my own quirks and hobbies as such, I love science, cars and motorsports involving drifting drag racing and tuning, astronomy, many conventional sports, anime, manga, light novels, sci-fi, adventure books and movies(i actually read a lot), i am also fascinated by nature, and natural phenomenas that happen all around us, i love to dance listen to music, hang out and party with my friends (usually the old ones from high school),
all these things define me as such and because they are rather unusual things that go together in my life many people think that i am a chaotic, unpredictable person who is also a geek.

i don't talk about my mom or my parents at any given place... i rather avoid that issue.. i had a not too conventional childhood "let's stick to this"

about the chores thing i don't quite do it too often so, the majority of the time when visitors come to me there isn't 100% clean environment but i tend to clean up the house myself once a week, girls here are a bit lazy these days.....maybe not all of them but i don't have the slightest idea how can i make a girl feel "needed" in my life, you can ask me any question about many things i answer you like a professor, but if you ask me about girls, i'm as dumb as a dead horse, even though i gave away good & successful advice to many of my friends in how to pick up girls, i myself did not have luck...

maybe i was too much of a nice guy that is why i go friend zoned but i don't know any other way to approach a stranger without getting rejected. so i go with the reject-free solution to become a friend with her and advance further.....i know it is a wrong tactic but i don't have confidence in myself i am too shy, and tend to blush (becoming red to the ears) when i talk to a girl to whom i am romantically attracted.

about getting to know new girls i am out but im too much of a coward to talk to them. i was thinking of maybe i should go to dance lessons(there i might meet new girls and because you have to dance with them the approach problem might be avoided), or another thng i would like to start up with kendo (we have a kendo school, but i don't know if there are any girls here), i somehow missed two anime meetings where i certainly could have found girls with similar interests as me (i will try to get to it next time), about meeting other girls in their 18-20's what suggestion do you have? cooking school? might be good? i don't have the slightest idea where i could go to meet girls where they are in numerical advantage but i don't feel bad being with them...(i htink dance school was a good suggestion but i'd like other ideas too,

in our town most of the festivals are in autumn so there is no problem i tend to go to them but i already said that i have problems talking to girls who i don't know, and what i should talk about?

volunteer work....same as with 5 -10 lines above but the problem is also that i kinda have to work my ass of just to live from one day to another and in the majority of my free time i relax, catch up with my hobbies, clean the house, cook food, wash dishes, wash, dry and iron clothes, so i have little time to do volunteer work even though i would like to do some.

the internet dating might be onvenient for someone with almost no free time as me and i tried it too and met up with some girls but somehow the fire died out and i became just a name in their list.

honestly i'd like to have a serious relationship but i think i should start up with something that doesn't last long to gain some XP.

I'd like to hear about your opinions as well on these matters too,

Anyway i learned a lot from your reply thanks again.
Old 2012-06-28, 16:20   Link #10443
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
My biggest issue is that i am 24 and i still didn't find love, i mean not true love or something like it i mean everything.... i hate to say it out loud i'm 24 i never had a relationship in my entire life, not even for a few hours, i'm a virgin, did not have my first kiss
I'll be 24 in two months. I had my first girlfriend and first kiss within the past six months, and I'm still a virgin (the last one by choice). In other words, at the start of the year I was in exactly the same boat as you. You know what? It doesn't matter one bit.

Not everyone moves at the same pace in life, and it's not a bad thing to start later. One major benefit of never having a girlfriend before for me is that I still have my "innocence," so to speak. I've never had my heart broken, and I don't have any baggage from past failed relationships. Everything is new and wonderful.

Honestly, when the right girl comes along, it'll take you completely by surprise. I met my girlfriend because I had broken my pelvis in a climbing accident and was immobile for a couple of weeks, so I decided to mess around on a dating website. There she was.

I was a little bit concerned before this about my lack of experience. My game plan was waiting for the right one, but I had occasionally thought, "Perhaps I'll just go out with someone who isn't right for me, just to gain experience." I never did, and I don't regret it. Once you're in a relationship, it's pretty easy. Just don't be stupid and it'll be a breeze.

As far as actually meeting people, I've got nothing for you. I didn't have any success until I stumbled upon online dating, so that's the best advice I can offer. Still, don't stress out about it. You've got plenty of time left to be young. The right girl will come along eventually.
Old 2012-06-28, 23:08   Link #10444
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
Does anyone have any advice for how to date four guys at once without any of them finding out about each other? There's been plenty of times where I've dated two guys at once no problem, and three's a fun challenge, but four might be too tough for me.
A little late in replying this, but I believe Shirou and Shiki addressed your problem (gender-swapped of course) in Carnival Phantasm ep.2

In other words, don't. The only time I had to be with two girls in secret (ages ago) I felt like the biggest jerk in the universe... so unless they know about the situation and you guys are into those group stuff, better avoid the whole mess, usually it turns pretty nasty in the end, and the worst thing is that you can not blame anyone in the end
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 04:24   Link #10445
BradleySmith
*IT Support

Me and you are so alike my friend.

Check me out!
BradleySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 06:24   Link #10446
harmonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Princess View Post
I'm not a troll. ._. And as for the guys... ah...

Guy 1: The main boyfriend. We've been dating for a few years.
Guy 2: A person I've been seeing for about six months. He's the lighthearted playboy type, but he's getting serious enough that I could imagine him getting jealous if he knows I'm seeing other people.
Guy 3: A man I've been dating since October. He's started using the 'L word' recently. >.> Eep.
Guy 4: A person I've dated a few times this past month. He's so charming that I just couldn't help but go for him.

Six guys, MUAHAHAHAHA? That's impressive! Sounds like I could learn a thing or two from her. ^^;

I just saw this. Are you freaking kidding me? Your selfishness could irrevocably damage one or more of them when they find out. You could literally ruin their life. Quit playing around with people's emotions.
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 06:49   Link #10447
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Guys, she's gone already, responding to her is useless now

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 07:35   Link #10448
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonious View Post
I just saw this. Are you freaking kidding me? Your selfishness could irrevocably damage one or more of them when they find out. You could literally ruin their life. Quit playing around with people's emotions.
Probably they already know..and are ok with this.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:22   Link #10449
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Ehh not really, she was asking what the best way was to keep it a secret from every guy. ANYWAYS, let's end the discussion about her and move on, she is not worth our time

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 08:48   Link #10450
Merilyn Mensola
I am a Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlike1889 View Post
Ehh not really, she was asking what the best way was to keep it a secret from every guy. ANYWAYS, let's end the discussion about her and move on, she is not worth our time

yes, she was asking it, but she also said: guy1-guy2-guy3-guy4...

However i agree bro,Let's move on.
Old 2012-06-29, 11:27   Link #10451
solomon

I say try online dating, but don't rely on it.

You're likely not going to speaking to your partner JUST through an electronic avatar, you have to get real human face time.

Do online dating but keep it as a back up.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 07:04   Link #10452
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Lucky for you guys. I never had a girlfriend since I was born. I had many crushes but I don't know..

I had a crush on my Elementary days but her big Bro threatened me!!!
I had mutual understanding with a girl in my high school days but a suitor of her threatened me!!!
..and in college... I can't decide among the many single females in my nursing batch!!!

Hey, I'm not gay!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 07:06   Link #10453
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I remember around the same time last year I posted something about going to a party and getting the number of a girl I used to know. Long story short that didn't work out but it's okay. Well here I am approximately a year later, in a similar situation.

Okay, the party I was talking about last year is a yearly party around here. So this year i attended it once again and here I am much in the same situation I was in last time. From what I've just said you've probably figured out that I ran into another girl at this certain party, let's hide her under the name 'Mio'. Unlike the girl from last year she isn't someone that I used to know, in fact I've never seen her before. I was walking around with my friends when I saw a girl cosplaying, ofcourse I freaked out. It was beyond me why she would do that but it was enough of a shock that I couldn't think about anything else for the rest of the party.

Before everyone went home I saw her standing alone near the exit, I knew it was my chance to get her number but I backed off at the last moment and decided to go home...knowing I'd probably never see her again. But I couldn't let it be like that, I ran back and saw her walking away but I caught up with her and asked for her number.

Just sharing, hopefully I play my cards right and this time turns out better.
You never did say whether she gave it to you...
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 07:35   Link #10454
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ She did.

We go to the same school and she's my underclassman by around a year or two.
Old 2012-06-30, 13:01   Link #10455
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
I remember around the same time last year I posted something about going to a party and getting the number of a girl I used to know. Long story short that didn't work out but it's okay. Well here I am approximately a year later, in a similar situation.

Okay, the party I was talking about last year is a yearly party around here. So this year i attended it once again and here I am much in the same situation I was in last time. From what I've just said you've probably figured out that I ran into another girl at this certain party, let's hide her under the name 'Mio'. Unlike the girl from last year she isn't someone that I used to know, in fact I've never seen her before. I was walking around with my friends when I saw a girl cosplaying, ofcourse I freaked out. It was beyond me why she would do that but it was enough of a shock that I couldn't think about anything else for the rest of the party.

Before everyone went home I saw her standing alone near the exit, I knew it was my chance to get her number but I backed off at the last moment and decided to go home...knowing I'd probably never see her again. But I couldn't let it be like that, I ran back and saw her walking away but I caught up with her and asked for her number.

Just sharing, hopefully I play my cards right and this time turns out better.
But let's talk about the important stuff: was she cosplaying as "Mio"? xD

PS: oh and good luck. I should probably add that as well.
Old 2012-06-30, 19:32   Link #10456
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post

Interesting question... what is your experience with western cosplayers? My only experience is as Akiha@Tsukihime in order to get my Kohaku@Tsukihime act in character

My second attempt did not progress far enough to be worthy of even mentioning
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-30, 22:10   Link #10457
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post

Indeed she was, apparently cosplaying is a regular thing for her.

My friends keep joking about how I'm such a bad dude going for my underclassman.
Old 2012-07-01, 11:16   Link #10458
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
about the too general introduction that sounded plain, i did not present my whole self there and also i have my own quirks and hobbies as such, I love science, cars and motorsports involving drifting drag racing and tuning, astronomy, many conventional sports, anime, manga, light novels, sci-fi, adventure books and movies(i actually read a lot), i am also fascinated by nature, and natural phenomenas that happen all around us, i love to dance listen to music, hang out and party with my friends (usually the old ones from high school),
all these things define me as such and because they are rather unusual things that go together in my life many people think that i am a chaotic, unpredictable person who is also a geek.
That's fine. You are who you are - you may not be very similar to everyone else, but there's nothing to be ashamed or worried about. It only means that you may have a harder time finding someone with shared interests as you. However, you don't need to expect that, either: it's fine to be in a relationship with someone who has different hobbies and interests. As long as you both have enough overlap in activities that you can enjoy spending time together, and as long as you don't expect to find someone with all of the same interests, you'll be fine.

Keep in mind that a relationship changes both people who enter into it. You may give up some of your hobbies for her and take up some of hers; she may give up some of hers and take up some of yours. What matters the most is that the both of you have similar values and goals for the relationship.

Quote:
maybe i was too much of a nice guy that is why i go friend zoned but i don't know any other way to approach a stranger without getting rejected. so i go with the reject-free solution to become a friend with her and advance further.....i know it is a wrong tactic but i don't have confidence in myself i am too shy, and tend to blush (becoming red to the ears) when i talk to a girl to whom i am romantically attracted.
The downside to the "friendship approach" is that it's more difficult to enter into a romantic relationship. The upside is that when you do enter into one, it's probably going to be stronger and more serious.

The idea behind the "friend zone" isn't an exact science, but the psychology behind it makes sense. If you know a girl for a year and haven't made a move on her, and she doesn't seem attracted to you, then it makes sense that you're too late: she has grown comfortable with the relationship as it is, and may not be able to see herself with you. However, it's fine to get to know someone for a few weeks, and then make a move. Don't feel pressured to ask people out after meeting them one or two times.

As to being shy, this is something that you can work on. You need to change how you view yourself. Why are you blushing when you talk to someone that you're attracted to? Are you embarrassed? Is it wrong for a man to be attracted to a woman, and to express his interest in her? No, of course not. Feel no shame in it: you are doing what you need to do, and whether the woman accepts or rejects you, she will feel pleased that someone expressed interest in her. So when you do this, feel confident and proud.

Quote:
about getting to know new girls i am out but im too much of a coward to talk to them.
Why?

Is it because you're shy in general? I used to be very socially shy. I probably could have been diagnosed with a psychiatric condition: it was to the point where I couldn't eat with strangers, because I would feel so anxious that I'd feel terribly nauseous.

Is it because you're afraid of being rejected? I used to have that fear, too. Then - after days of agony - I finally asked a girl out. I was rejected. I discovered that it didn't kill me, and suddenly it was as if a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. Being rejected wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

In both cases (being shy and being afraid of rejection), what ultimately allowed me to turn things around was altering how I viewed myself. I used to think that I was a nice guy who was worth something, but my self-confidence was incredibly poor. I don't know if you feel the same way, but look at what you're writing: you're thinking that you're 24 and you've never dated. You're worried about it, because you're thinking that most people your age have already hooked up with many other people. Are you thinking that you're a loser, or that something is wrong with you?

Wipe that thought from your mind. Life is not a set pattern that everyone follows. So you haven't dated - so what? It doesn't say anything about you.

So alter your view of yourself. Recognize that if and when a girl rejects you, the only thing it means is that she wasn't interested. It does not mean that you're ugly, that you're stupid, that you're awkward, or that you have no chance with any woman. Not every girl will be interested; that's life. Get used to it, accept it, and let it roll off of you. Instead of focusing on yourself, be happy that you asked her out at all, knowing that it's a confidence booster for her. At the very least, focusing on it that way should help you to simply ask.

Are you still not feeling worthwhile, or like you're attractive? Go to the gym. I'm not even talking about body-building, this is psychological: by going to the gym, lifting some weights, or doing some form of workout, you will feel better about yourself. In the back of your mind you'll think "I work out" and you will feel more powerful. It's only a bonus if you work out for long enough to build up some sort of physique (assuming you don't already have it).

Quote:
i was thinking of maybe i should go to dance lessons(there i might meet new girls and because you have to dance with them the approach problem might be avoided), or another thng i would like to start up with kendo (we have a kendo school, but i don't know if there are any girls here), i somehow missed two anime meetings where i certainly could have found girls with similar interests as me (i will try to get to it next time), about meeting other girls in their 18-20's what suggestion do you have? cooking school? might be good? i don't have the slightest idea where i could go to meet girls where they are in numerical advantage but i don't feel bad being with them...(i htink dance school was a good suggestion but i'd like other ideas too,
Take a walk outside. See any women? You can talk to any one of them.

Now granted, talking to women on the street doesn't put you at an advantage for going out with them. People on the street are generally trying to get somewhere and they're not expecting to be interrupted. Trying to talk to them might put them in a bad mood. But the point is that you don't need to be one man among tens or hundreds of women. If you're waiting for a bus or are at a coffee shop and you see a woman who looks interesting, just talk to her. If you find that she's actually unattractive to you and you don't want to pursue it further, you can break it off right there. Otherwise, push farther: try to get her number, or request to meet her again. You may not be successful... but then again, you might be successful. You won't know unless you try.

A lot of men refer to dating as a game. It sounds condescending to women, but in a certain way, thinking of it as a game isn't a bad way to go when it comes to finding new people. You get to know new people, you try to be as charming as possible, and you keep seeing how far you can advance the relationship. You won't always be successful, either, but hey - you have unlimited tries! As long as you don't take anything personally in those early stages, you're good to go.

Quote:
in our town most of the festivals are in autumn so there is no problem i tend to go to them but i already said that i have problems talking to girls who i don't know, and what i should talk about?
Anything, but nothing too personal on your end. Small talk is a skill that comes with experience. Once you start talking about things that really matter to you, that you're really passionate about, you're in danger of monopolizing the conversation or polarizing your conversation partner. If those topics come up, keep it light and don't go too deep. Above all, try to keep the conversation either about her, or about something that she seems engaged in.

And again, remember not to take anything too personally, or to invest too much of yourself in these encounters. If you do, you'll find yourself very hurt by each rejection (or perceived rejection), and you'll feel too drained by each unsuccessful encounter to keep trying for more. At this point it's a matter of quantity over quality. If you find someone interesting who seems like they might be interested back, that's when you put more focus and energy into it.

Quote:
the internet dating might be onvenient for someone with almost no free time as me and i tried it too and met up with some girls but somehow the fire died out and i became just a name in their list.
How did the fire die out? Did you meet with these girls as friends, or were you actively trying to charm them? Were you actively asking them for another date, or were you waiting for them to get back to you?

Whether it's internet dating or not, you need to be persistent. The difficulty is finding a balance: you need to be persistent, but not so persistent that you frighten them off.

Quote:
honestly i'd like to have a serious relationship but i think i should start up with something that doesn't last long to gain some XP.
The only experience you need is in making those connections with women. As far as serious relationships go, no amount of experience can really make a serious relationship. What matters in a serious relationship is that both people involved want to be in it, they both have similar values, they both value each other, and they both have similar long-term goals for their lives together. The only way to achieve that is partially by chance (meeting the right person) and by talking it out once you're in the relationship.

Here's my challenge to you, to push you to where you need to be. When you go out today (or tomorrow, if you're reading this at night), I want you to make eye contact with the strangers that you encounter in your day-to-day routine. Don't stare them down, but glance at their eyes, and if they glance back, hold that for a second before looking away. If you lock eyes with an attractive woman, give her a small smile before looking away. Get into the habit of doing this: making eye contact makes random encounters to be more likely. This applies to both romance and business.

The challenge continues. I want you to go to a coffee shop (or a bar, if you're into that). Find a woman who is alone (or who is with one female friend, although that makes it slightly more challenging). Don't even give yourself time to think and over-analyze the situation: just talk to her. Ask her how the book she's reading is, or about the drink/food she has, or about how she feels the temperature in the establishment is - anything. (Although that last one is a little weak.) If you want to go for the gold, keep it going: tell her your first name (ideally she'll give you hers, at least to be polite), and try to come up with more things to say and talk about.

Most likely nothing will come from doing either of those two things. Don't expect it to: this is a process. At the end of the process you will not think of yourself as a shy person, and going through these encounters will not seem like a big deal. I promise you. And if you happen to get brushed off or told off with one of these challenges, don't take it personally: we'll laugh it off together. Your technique may need some work, and there's plenty of time to figure that out and try again.

You're unhappy with the way things are going. Push yourself and change it up.
Old 2012-07-01, 12:43   Link #10459
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Well then, for a change of pace from multi-dating exploits...

Update on my situation; I've been with my girl for more than two years at this point. My parents ask me questions when she doesn't come over for the weekend. I've met her parents a number of times, and I recently hosted them when they came over here for a vacation, so they like me well enough. All's well, right?

Well, depending on one's POV, a little too well. She's been poking me increasingly frequently about registering with her. Her parents have also weighed in on that score, telling her we should register soon since she's not getting any younger (she's like 24 for goodness sake, her biological clock isn't ticking away that fast). Even my parents have started talking to me about it, since like my mother said, we've been together more than two years and it doesn't seem like that's going to change anytime soon, so might as well, right?

I do intend to marry her, I've even told her as such, and the current plan is I'll do so next year. If you ask me whether I have any good reasons not to do so... well, I don't. Besides, registering with her will come with its share of benefits, as my fellow countrymen would be familiar with. But somehow, it still feels so... fast.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH.

*head-in-sand*

I think I need some psyching-up, guys.
I'm not familiar with what "registering" is. Is that similar to being in a domestic partnership? That's basically having the government recognize the union, but there's no marriage certificate or such things. There are some benefits (the domestic partner is considered to be the one in charge of medical decisions if the other partner can't make those decisions, for example), but I don't think that they receive the tax benefits that married couples do. (But that's all American stuff; not sure how other countries handle it.)

So, marriage. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling some jitters about it. If you take marriage seriously, it's a big deal. You are committing to live out your life with another person, no matter what happens. Sure, divorce exists, but if you're serious about your vows, it's not really an option. Who wouldn't feel a bit nervous or have second thoughts about making that commitment? I think it's perfectly normal.

The key is to do it on your own schedule. Don't do it because parents want you to or because your girlfriend is clamoring for it: do it because you want to do it.

It sounds like you already have it in mind that you're going to do it, though, so this isn't a big deal. Based on my experience, I'll say that you may still experience doubts leading up to the wedding. But once it's official, those doubts are completely dispersed from your mind. At that point, you and your wife are totally committed to each other (ideally). You know there's no going back: you can both only go forward, together. At that point, it is a wonderful feeling, and there will be no doubts.

Of course, that all assumes that you're a good match for each other and that you did all of the work that you needed to do in building up a strong relationship in the first place!

Take some time to think about it. If you're feeling nervous, ask yourself why it is. As I said, some degree of nervousness and doubt is normal. But if there are any major issues that are on your mind, now is the time to try and resolve them. If you can't resolve them, you may want to call things off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Before you guys get married, please please please please please do some FUCKING FINANCIAL PLANNING before ringing those damn bells. It is not a symbol of maturity when you find out that you don't have enough money to send your kids through tertiary education.

If you can't spare time for your wife and children, or spare money to buy time for your wife and children, don't get married to someone 3D. Find a 2D wife or husband instead.
Your advice is good, but getting married doesn't mean you automatically have a child. I was married about 2.5 years ago, and my wife and I aren't planning on having a child for at least another three years. You don't need to hold off on getting married just because you can't yet afford a child.
Old 2012-07-01, 13:52   Link #10460
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'm not familiar with what "registering" is. Is that similar to being in a domestic partnership? That's basically having the government recognize the union, but there's no marriage certificate or such things. There are some benefits (the domestic partner is considered to be the one in charge of medical decisions if the other partner can't make those decisions, for example), but I don't think that they receive the tax benefits that married couples do. (But that's all American stuff; not sure how other countries handle it.)
I knew I should have gone for the simple, clear-cut term instead of the woolly non-description.

Basically, when I said 'registering', I meant going to the Registry of Marriages here in Singapore, and register as an officially married couple. As far as I'm aware, there is no legal 'intermediate' stage between singlehood and marriage here, it's all or nothing.

So yeah, she basically wants the official certificate next year. She's actually fine with having any ceremonies, or whatever shebang that comes with it, later on when we're better able to afford it.

Quote:
So, marriage. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling some jitters about it. If you take marriage seriously, it's a big deal. You are committing to live out your life with another person, no matter what happens. Sure, divorce exists, but if you're serious about your vows, it's not really an option. Who wouldn't feel a bit nervous or have second thoughts about making that commitment? I think it's perfectly normal.

The key is to do it on your own schedule. Don't do it because parents want you to or because your girlfriend is clamoring for it: do it because you want to do it.

It sounds like you already have it in mind that you're going to do it, though, so this isn't a big deal. Based on my experience, I'll say that you may still experience doubts leading up to the wedding. But once it's official, those doubts are completely dispersed from your mind. At that point, you and your wife are totally committed to each other (ideally). You know there's no going back: you can both only go forward, together. At that point, it is a wonderful feeling, and there will be no doubts.

Of course, that all assumes that you're a good match for each other and that you did all of the work that you needed to do in building up a strong relationship in the first place!

Take some time to think about it. If you're feeling nervous, ask yourself why it is. As I said, some degree of nervousness and doubt is normal. But if there are any major issues that are on your mind, now is the time to try and resolve them. If you can't resolve them, you may want to call things off.
Well, the main reasons I'm feeling the jitters about marriage are these;

1) Lifestyle changes. These days, I go to work, knock off, and come back home to kill the rest of the night with my own hobbies. She goes to work, knocks off (or does OT), and goes back to her place at night and does her own thing. She comes over on the weekend, and depending on each other's schedules, we either go on an outing or otherwise just stay in my room, and she basically enjoys my bed.

It's a pretty comfortable way of life for the both of us currently. That sure as hell is going to change after marriage, and at this point, I'm not sure whether I'm ready to face such a great turning point in my life.

I mean, it's not like things are going to change immediately after getting the certificate, since we'll have to get our own place first (and in Singapore, young couples trying to get their own place is literally a fucking lottery). We'll probably go on like we are for a while yet; the thing is, once I put pen to paper, I know I'm going to set in motion a chain of events. We're eventually going to get that place, we're going to move in, we're going to actually start living together for real, start having to make mutual sacrifices, eventually even having that kid... we're actually going to have to fucking act like adults. I don't feel ready for that.

2) Speaking of kids, remember my concerns a few years back about my family history. Yeah, that's going to come back to haunt me again. Not anytime soon; she's seen my point about doing what she can with her youth before settling down and starting a family, but she's still going to want a child eventually. And when that time comes, I don't think I can refuse her.

So, yeah. Yet another one of those things I know I'm going to sign myself up for once I've signed the document in my own blood.

3) Finances. She's currently in a better-paying job than I am, and has more savings to go along with it. It'll probably still be the case by the time we get married for real, not that it should pose much of a problem; she's perfectly fine with being the main breadwinner, and (knowing her ) I'm probably going to have to pull most of the weight in terms of housekeeping anyway.

Even so, I don't feel comfortable signing our lives together until I at least have a comfortable amount of savings, and have progressed somewhat further than I currently have in my career. If I were to put it in a nicer-sounding way, I want to avoid having her sign her life to some complete deadbeat. If I were to put it in a completely ego-centric way? I want to prove to myself that I'm at least not a complete deadbeat by that time.

So, yeah. Pretty much the main reasons at this point.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom