AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-04-27, 15:06   Link #1
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Told through numerous perspectives or through multiple characters.

Hey there! Thanks for your awesome recommendations in the Feel-Great Romance thread. Does anyone here know any good anime similar to Baccano! and Durarara!! or Fate/zero? I really liked the narrative styles in both of them and appreciate how almost every character gets decent amounts of screentime. Now I'm not really asking for something that does exactly the same but I'd at least like to see an anime where it really knows how to use more characters to keep the show running. Simlar examples I've seen are Nichijou, Working!!, and Tamako Market. I plan on watching K and Idolm@master too in the future. I'd like to see a show with a big set of characters like Angel Beats as well.

Restrictions:
  • Even though Baccano and Durarara may include it to some extent along with Fate/zero, I'm not interesting in seeing anything that's about magic, demons, spirits, and the like(but if those things end up being revealed as a hoax then you can incude them). You can still include other supernatural titles as long as they don't have what I just mentioned. Other genres like Sci-fi and slice-of life are alright.
  • A lot of NSFW Pantsu shots and jiggling boobs won't suit me well. That includes smuts.
  • No problem with a main character in the slightest, but I want the rest of the cast to get their times to shine too.
  • Love triangles are okay. Harem is fine but I don't want the main character to be the only important male in the story.
  • Not a yoai fan or yuri fan so no thanks(though Tamako Market is an exception since it never really got anywhere).
  • One or two-cour shows are the limit, unless you have a recommendation that you think is an absolute must-watch.

Thanks guys!
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 15:33   Link #2
jedinat

Level E has a few arcs that feature the viewpoints of different characters who have to deal with the same antagonistic "main" character.

Tiger & Bunny juggles a few different hero characters; though there is a protagonist you get different perspectives iirc...

Between Integra, Alucard, and Seras there isn't really a clear-cut protagonist in Hellsing.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 19:09   Link #3
kitten320

Aria series - while show focuses more on main heroine, it still gives attention to other characters and their storie/relationships and gives a heart warming conclusion to all of them. It has 3 seasons and OVA. It is an episodic show with slight story, but mostly character centered. first season is Aria The Animation. gets better with each season.

Great Teacher Onizuka - big cast yet everyone gets their moment and story. Manag develops characters even more.

Kokoro Connect - cast driven though only 5 charas. One of the guys takes more of a spot but otherwise each one gets their part and role to play. Basically each arc tends to switch between focus characters.
Old 2013-04-27, 19:10   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you seen any Gundam series? If not, then I recommend you to watch Gundam 00 (2 seasons + a movie).
Old 2013-04-27, 20:30   Link #5
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Level E has a few arcs that feature the viewpoints of different characters who have to deal with the same antagonistic "main" character.

Tiger & Bunny juggles a few different hero characters; though there is a protagonist you get different perspectives iirc...

Between Integra, Alucard, and Seras there isn't really a clear-cut protagonist in Hellsing.
I'm soooo checking out Level E and Tiger & Bunny, but Hellsing doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Aria series - while show focuses more on main heroine, it still gives attention to other characters and their storie/relationships and gives a heart warming conclusion to all of them. It has 3 seasons and OVA. It is an episodic show with slight story, but mostly character centered. first season is Aria The Animation. gets better with each season.

Great Teacher Onizuka - big cast yet everyone gets their moment and story. Manag develops characters even more.

Kokoro Connect - cast driven though only 5 charas. One of the guys takes more of a spot but otherwise each one gets their part and role to play. Basically each arc tends to switch between focus characters.
Already seen Kokoro Connect. I like episodic series, so I'm definitely up for episodic series that changes which character it focuses on in each episode or goes on to someone else's story. Aria sounds nice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Have you seen any Gundam series? If not, then I recommend you to watch Gundam 00 (2 seasons + a movie).
I actually haven't. Now that you mention it I think I'll try it out.

Thanks guys!
Old 2013-04-27, 23:34   Link #6
mit7059

Best example of this IMO would be Honey and Clover. While Takemoto might be considered the main character especially in the first season you really get all of the characters' perspectives. It's probably my favorite show ever.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 01:19   Link #7
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Maybe Mawaru Penguindrum or Shigofumi both supernatural series with this sorta of narrative.

On romance side Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and it has more than just the one male lead getting any focus.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 07:47   Link #8
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Best example of this IMO would be Honey and Clover. While Takemoto might be considered the main character especially in the first season you really get all of the characters' perspectives. It's probably my favorite show ever.
I've read about that show somewhere. Hopefully I'll be able to give it a go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Maybe Mawaru Penguindrum or Shigofumi both supernatural series with this sorta of narrative.

On romance side Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and it has more than just the one male lead getting any focus.
Nice, been reading lots of talk over Penguindrum.

Thanks again!
Old 2013-05-01, 08:58   Link #9
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

ef - a tale of memories and ef - a tale of melodies is perfect for you, multiple storyline, multiple protagonist, told from many perspectives.
Old 2013-05-01, 22:48   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and its direct sequel Kai might be worth a look, as it is a horror/mystery series with story that is told from multiple perspectives, all of which contribute to unraveling the mystery as well as developing the characters. Due to the plot twist heavy nature of the series, you should probably avoid looking up information about it online if you want to avoid spoilers.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 09:17   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Twelve Kingdoms has a bit of what you seek, though in this instance it is three different parallel stories that later converge.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 09:47   Link #12
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and its direct sequel Kai might be worth a look, as it is a horror/mystery series with story that is told from multiple perspectives, all of which contribute to unraveling the mystery as well as developing the characters. Due to the plot twist heavy nature of the series, you should probably avoid looking up information about it online if you want to avoid spoilers.
2nd to higurashi.. especially the VN's
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 17:43   Link #13
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I just couldn't handle Hgurashi, but thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Twelve Kingdoms has a bit of what you seek, though in this instance it is three different parallel stories that later converge.
I like the sound of this. Thank you!
Old 2013-05-06, 14:09   Link #14
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

If you don't mind the corniness, camp and goofy pop music, you might like UtaPri.

K is probably the closest to Durarara and Baccano though. I mean, hell....one of the mcs in K is a deadringer for a Mc in Durarara.