AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-11-23, 15:27   Link #361
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it is now the Day of the Doctor. I hope it is worth it.
Old 2013-11-23, 16:11   Link #362
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Holy crap.

Christmas is going to be insane.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 16:23   Link #363
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Spoiler for The moment that made me squeal:

Loved it.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 16:26   Link #364
Dextro
He Without a Title

If there's one thing that I'm sad about this episode is this: David Tennant had too small of a role in it
Old 2013-11-23, 17:19   Link #365
BPD Renegade

Spoiler for Awesomeness:
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 18:24   Link #366
Dop
Mmmm....

I think there's a great missed opportunity here. If they'd had John Hurt's Doctor playing off against Derek Jacobi's Master. Obviously there'd have been less running around action stuff, but with a good story it could have been fantastic.

Given that they've got the set, I do think it would be nice if Peter Capaldi's TARDIS had the 'round things' and the original console.

From the Historic Royal Palaces twitter feed:-
‏"We have no knowledge of the black archive at the Tower of London. Then again, we might have had our memories wiped #DoctorWho #SaveTheDay"
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 22:36   Link #367
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Its fun when the Queen (and or her family) plays along. (3 more years to pass Queen Victoria)
Old 2013-11-24, 02:52   Link #368
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it is now the Day of the Doctor. I hope it is worth it.
It is so fucking worth it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 02:59   Link #369
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watch Day of the Doctor. Amazing and all of those cameos.
Old 2013-11-24, 09:03   Link #370
Dop
Mmmm....

After watching Day of the Doctor I'd also recommend The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.
(If the BBC page is region locked, I'm sure there are copies floating around the interwebs by now)

Written and directed by Peter Davison, it's a self-depreciatory romp where Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy try to sneak on board the 50th anniversary special. Great fun.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 09:34   Link #371
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And Paul McGann too, don't forget.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 09:35   Link #372
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
After watching Day of the Doctor I'd also recommend The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.
(If the BBC page is region locked, I'm sure there are copies floating around the interwebs by now)

Written and directed by Peter Davison, it's a self-depreciatory romp where Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy try to sneak on board the 50th anniversary special. Great fun.
LOL, that was bloody fantastic
Old 2013-11-24, 11:10   Link #373
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

could someone please explain to me how the 13th doctor being there makes sense.

I can understand the 12 but i don't get how 13 should be there. it's great that he shows up but it was the 12th that conceived the idea.

good episode but, it would have been amazing if Christopher Eccleston had been there.

Trying to make sense of it now. With John Hurt that makes Peter Capaldi 13th right?

8: Paul McGann
9: John Hurt
10: Christopher Eccleston (My fav)
11: David Tennant
12: Matt Smith
13: Peter Capaldi
Old 2013-11-24, 12:07   Link #374
james0246

What an interesting episode. Besides some uninteresting stylistic twists (all the whooshing sounds during cuts, and the many unneeded close-up and other stylistic touches), this was a very fun episode and a nice set-up to the end of the 12th.

-I truly loved the interactions between the three Doctors. There was a profound quality to their similarities and vast differences that created a truly interesting dynamic on screen.

-Clara was quite good in this episode. She may or may not remember her role in the Doctors lives, but her character has definitely become a trusted influence that can actively watch over the Doctor and help him through his problems. And it is her interpretation of the Doctors that helps create a solution to the overarching problem faced by the new 9th.

-The overall monster-of-the-week aspect of the episode was ridiculous amounts of fun.

-Constant joyous nerdgasm overload of Doctor Who references and allusions.

While many questions remain, and I am unsure if this is the "Day of the Doctor" I wanted or not, the feelings of elation and excitement post-episode are quite great, and I am more than happy to find out just what happens next. 90/100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
could someone please explain to me how the 13th doctor being there makes sense.

I can understand the 12 but i don't get how 13 should be there. it's great that he shows up but it was the 12th that conceived the idea.
Much the same as the sonic screwdriver retains the same software even as the casing changes, giving it the ability to go through complex calculations over time even as it's casing changes, the 13th (yes, I'm calling him the 13th) will know that he has to be there in order for the plan to work (the 12th may have come up with the plan, but the 13th has already lived it). Presumably he will know this as he will be the one to find his lost home and learn that his actions are required in order to complete the time loop necessary to save his home.

(Personally, I'm surprised the show didn't go for broke and introduce a hundred or more Doctors. We could have all races, colors, genders, sexes and creeds emphasized in one gigantic moment of awesome.)

The real question is how all the previous Doctors knew to come to Galifrey in order to work their magic. Presumably the Moment made it happen, but it is unclear for now. It could have something to do with the appearance of Tom Baker as a potential Doctor outside of Time.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-11-24 at 12:44.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 12:23   Link #375
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Tom Baker is the first official declaration that there will be more Doctors past the 12/13th. We all know it is the case, but this is the first canon confirmation.
Old 2013-11-24, 12:59   Link #376
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

My guess is the Capaldi Doctor is going to set the final calculation so he can find Gallifrey.

Or he found it and now wants to send it even farther away and is making sure it remains lost after he finds it sometime in the 8th series (2014).
Old 2013-11-24, 13:04   Link #377
Bri

Quote:

Hilarious. Amazing that the tie ins like The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot and An Adventure in Space and Time are on the level of the 50th anniversary itself.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 13:07   Link #378
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is alsoa rumor going around that Capaldi is not the 13th incarnation, but the 14th/1st of a new cycle.

This is if one counts the 10th's regeneration in the 4th series finale as a regeneration...even if he didn't change his form due to having a way out. I don't mean the Meta-crisis Doctor....he's a side effect. I mean the Doctor regenerates, but manages to stop himself from changing his appearance. That would make Davif Tennant's Doctor the 11th and 12th Incarnations (from 9th Doctor to Stolen Earth would be the 11th and from Journey's End until the 11th Doctor would be th 12th).

It is a theory, and we are just waiting to see how Moffet's mind is working on that angle when Christmas comes. He did say check your DVDs again, as we missed something.
Old 2013-11-24, 14:04   Link #379
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:

The clip works here in Canada, at any rate.

(I read your line as "If the BBC page is time-locked"...)
Old 2013-11-25, 01:40   Link #380
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Nice set of specials and episodes. Aside from Eccleston, everyone seemed keen on getting involved in some way. Even then, him name is still in the credits, as he's still the Doctor.

Now onto Christmas...and beyond

to Gallifrey.

Tags
science fiction