Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-08-09, 19:01   Link #61
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

News :

Quote:
BioWare has announced in a French magazine that there will be no toolset or isometric camera angle for Dragon Age 2.

"The isometric camera view was the primary (and often only) viewing option for many older role playing games; and fans were pleased to see it as an option in the PC release of Dragon Age, echoing the role playing view and style of another popular BioWare title, Baldur's Gate. According to BioWare, the lack of an isometric camera in Dragon Age II can be put down to high quality models and textures, as they do not wish to remove players from the intended visual presentation and quality.

"As for the tool-set, a popular modding program used by fans to creatively enhance Dragon Age with their own items, characters, and quests, BioWare did not have much more to say other than it was simply no longer part of the package, citing that while the tool-set was powerful it was also 'very complicated'."

Mike Laidlaw is quoted with saying:

"'The tools we're using to make Dragon Age 2 are very, very close to the tools you guys have used to make your mods for DA:O. They're not identical, as we've made a few in-house improvements, but they're almost identical. As such, there isn't a new toolset to release, per se.

"While we won't be releasing a toolset update in tandem with Dragon Age 2, we ARE investigating what it would take to update the community toolset to match ours, along with providing DA2 content in the future."

He also said:

"On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there. I was actually playtesting some new camera code when Victor found me, in fact, so I can give you the latest news on that front.

"While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins."

With the response by the community, Mike replied with this message:

Hey folks, Victor managed to hunt me down, and I wanted to clear up a few things with regards to what I'm seeing as the two major concerns on this thread.

First off, let's talk about the toolset issue. Obviously in this community there's going to be some concern that we wouldn't release a toolset, so let me clear the air a little: The tools we're using to make Dragon Age 2 are very, very close to the tools you guys have used to make your mods for DA:O. They're not identical, as we've made a few in-house improvements, but they're almost identical. As such, there isn't a new toolset to release, per se. While we won't be releasing a toolset update in tandem with Dragon Age 2, we ARE investigating what it would take to update the community toolset to match ours, along with providing DA2 content in the future.

As to the subject of tactical view, I can confirm that we will not be doing a tactical view on consoles, though we are looking into some expanded party control that I think will make console players quite happy. On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there. I was actually playtesting some new camera code when Victor found me, in fact, so I can give you the latest news on that front.

While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.

As you can probably tell from my phrasing, all of this is a bit in-flux right now, so things may change between now and ship, but I wanted to update you guys on the current direction of things.

T_T camera view ...
Hope new tool for mod is ok ..
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 19:06   Link #62
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I have to admit, beyond the nostalgia and dropping the occasional template, there really wasn't much reason for the isometric camera.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 13:22   Link #63
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

No toolset?
And there the entire modding community goes down the drain..

The only reason they are dropping the toolset is because the modding community was creating more creative and fun content than the DLC Bioware was creating itself.
Thus taking away from their profits.
Old 2010-08-11, 00:17   Link #64
kujoe
from head to heel

With regard to the toolset issue, it seems that Bioware is still looking into it, so all hope isn't lost yet.

Bioware should be aware that Dragon Age isn't Mass Effect. By that, I mean that it's a PC game first then a console one, and not the other way around. This also goes for one major segment of its community, of which is comprised of modders and those who enjoy mods—good ones, and otherwise.

Bioware should treat each version according to their respective platforms.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 10:17   Link #65
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

New DA2 CG trailer is up at the main website, http://dragonage.bioware.com/

I hope qunari akin to the one in this trailer is extremely rare. Those over-sized horns are just overkill. Aside from that, the trailer is typical Bioware CG trailers at work. The trailer this time seems to have a greater hint towards the kind of events, adventures and things we'll actually experience in-game, but Bioware's trailers has been unreliable before.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 12:20   Link #66
kujoe
from head to heel

I just saw that trailer.

First things first: Yes, I hope this means we can use polearms now! It just doesn't make sense that these people never bothered using spears before, especially against charging darkspawn.

Second: Kate Mulgrew as Flemeth.

Third: I know the folks at Bioware have said that the hero isn't Morrigan's kid, especially with this game's timeline and all, but this trailer just made me more suspicious again.

Fourth: I agree about those horns. With such pale skin and all those horns, these qunari might as well have been another race altogether.
Old 2010-08-17, 13:43   Link #67
killer3000ad

IGN article up with some new info about DA2.
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1113408p1.html

This bit caught my eye:
Quote:
The dragon up above roared and flew down toward the family, drenching the Darkspawn in flames. Once I saw that the scaly beast was helping out, I realized it had to be Flemeth, the shape-shifting witch of the wilds encountered at the beginning of the last game. Sure enough, once all the enemies were down she transformed to her human form, decked out with horn-shaped hair and revealing armor.
Ahhh.. if Flemeth is anything like her old woman form in DA:O, I'll pass.
Old 2010-08-17, 14:40   Link #68
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Just watch the trailer .

As usual very nice trailer .

- New Qunari : Why they don't just make a new race ?

- Yeah Polearms !

- Seems that Hawke get some badass power .

Hope that the game won't be "easy" as DA:O , i mean , last difficulty "Nightmare" wasn't really hard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I just saw that trailer.

First things first: Yes, I hope this means we can use polearms now! It just doesn't make sense that these people never bothered using spears before, especially against charging darkspawn.

Second: Kate Mulgrew as Flemeth.

Third: I know the folks at Bioware have said that the hero isn't Morrigan's kid, especially with this game's timeline and all, but this trailer just made me more suspicious again.

Fourth: I agree about those horns. With such pale skin and all those horns, these qunari might as well have been another race altogether.
Well in ign article :

Quote:
"Varric begins the tale over again, narrowing in on Hawke and his family's defection from their former home, Lothering, shortly after King Cailan's demise at the battle of Ostagar. Now known as the Blightlands, their once vibrant village has been devastated after the Darkspawn have had their way with it. There's no more fancy armor or strong abilities in this tale – just Hawke along with his younger brother Carver, a warrior, his sister Bethany, an apostate mage and his mother discussing their escape plan."

Also :

Quote:
In Origins, group members needed to be manually programmed to take potions when they had low health or told to perform spells at certain times, but your squad is now smart enough to figure those things out on their own. You can still specifically program the, but gamers won't be forced to worry about what their AI allies are doing all the time. If anything, the AI might be too intelligent, as I often ran toward enemies only to have them burned to a crisp by my mage Bethany before I got there. Still, it's nice to have battle partners that are an asset instead of a burden.
- AI are more intelligent so they said that not very need to strat them . Dunno if it's a good thing cuz now Strat will become useless ...

Quote:
"In terms of the PC version, BioWare's leaving a lot of the user-interface the same, though they have added a quick command for stamina and health potions on the right side of the action bar. You can still pause the action with the space bar and issue commands to your team, but you should expect to see some changes to how you view fights. Although what we saw wasn't final, it looks like Bioware is developing a new camera for the PC version that's focused less on getting a bird's eye view and more on zooming in around the battlefield and enemy locations. It looks great so far, but expect to hear more about closer to the game's launch. "
- Sound good .
Old 2010-08-17, 14:54   Link #69
Who

The part that pleased me the most:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gamescom
In Dragon Age 2 the combat system has been stripped of the clunkiness of the original and injected with more awesome. It's much more fluid and feels faster, though people who liked the slower pace of the first game can still pause the and issue commands. Instead of a two- or three-second delay when you select an active ability, your character will instantly perform an attack or spell. Not only is it an immediate occurrence, but the actions themselves are brutal and incredibly satisfying.
Does this mean my tank will actually be a tank instead of just letting that Hurlock Alpha run by and cut one of my mage's bewbs off?
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 15:10   Link #70
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Well in ign article :

Quote:
"Varric begins the tale over again, narrowing in on Hawke and his family's defection from their former home, Lothering, shortly after King Cailan's demise at the battle of Ostagar. Now known as the Blightlands, their once vibrant village has been devastated after the Darkspawn have had their way with it. There's no more fancy armor or strong abilities in this tale – just Hawke along with his younger brother Carver, a warrior, his sister Bethany, an apostate mage and his mother discussing their escape plan."
Like I said, I already know that. The general gist of it, at least. It's just that the nature of the magic that Hawke displays in the trailer has raised my eyebrow a bit.

On another note, I wonder what does the article mean by "no more fancy armor or strong abilities in this tale"..?

Hmmm.

Last edited by kujoe; 2010-08-17 at 21:20.
Old 2010-08-17, 16:39   Link #71
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Holy shit, i had my doubts but no longer do i.. This game is gonna be sick (atleast i hope)
Old 2010-08-17, 16:53   Link #72
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Like I said, I already know that. The general gist of it, at least. It's just that the nature of the magic that Hawke displays in the theatre has raised my eyebrow a bit.

On another note, I wonder what does the article mean by "no more fancy armor or strong abilities in this tale"..?

Hmmm.
I think that they removed badass armor + strong abilities like in Awakening -> 1shot mob !

I think that great ! Cuz otherwise it'll be so easy ..
Old 2010-08-17, 17:22   Link #73
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
The part that pleased me the most:

Does this mean my tank will actually be a tank instead of just letting that Hurlock Alpha run by and cut one of my mage's bewbs off?
No, it just means that when that Hurlock Alpha runs past you, you can now clonk it over the head before it cuts off the second one.

By making it more action oriented, there's a big change they're actually reducing the whole tanking thing.

Quote:
I think that they removed badass armor + strong abilities like in Awakening -> 1shot mob !

I think that great ! Cuz otherwise it'll be so easy ..
A rather ironic statement after showing Hawke ripping that horned qunari apart with demonbane style megahands.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-17, 17:51   Link #74
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
No, it just means that when that Hurlock Alpha runs past you, you can now clonk it over the head before it cuts off the second one.

By making it more action oriented, there's a big change they're actually reducing the whole tanking thing.

A rather ironic statement after showing Hawke ripping that horned qunari apart with demonbane style megahands.
True but maybe he can use it at specific moment . Dunno , we'll see it . But still hope that the game won't be so easy .
Old 2010-08-17, 18:01   Link #75
Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

That applies moreso for the consoles though, if I remember. I play on a PC, so I thought they'd leave the more strategic elements alone for it. Either way, hate the way characters just stare at your enemy for a good ten seconds or whatever before they act.

Last edited by Who; 2010-08-17 at 18:17.
Old 2010-08-17, 23:18   Link #76
Hellbore

Quote:
Like I said, I already know that. The general gist of it, at least. It's just that the nature of the magic that Hawke displays in the trailer has raised my eyebrow a bit.

Hmmm.
I think it means for that part of the story, Hawke and co. will be restricted to plain armour (or none at all) and basic abilities, showing Hawkes relative inexperience at this point.

On Compromise: Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
Hellbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-18, 02:38   Link #77
Irkalla
I asked for this

The trailer was sick, but I was disappointed by the lack of companions, grrr. It seems like bioware wants to milk what they can along the way.

On to Hawke, was that blood magic he used there o_O Or is he just some kinda arcane warrior, might be just for the looks tho. The first origins trailer also had the warden shooting lighting out of his eyes, ok not really, just the blue sparkling. That gypsy woman was mysteriously intriguing, but can we expect a male counterpart for the female Hawk? I'd hate to be deprived of a hot gypsy guy.
Old 2010-08-18, 07:13   Link #78
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
True but maybe he can use it at specific moment . Dunno , we'll see it . But still hope that the game won't be so easy .
I bet this will be the MC's special kill like the slowmo special kills in #1 like getting the last hit on a enemy before they die.
Old 2010-08-20, 05:14   Link #79
Tiberium Wolf

Trailer's out!!! Awesome trailer.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:19   Link #80
Who

Quote:

Hmmm.
Someone on Bioware's forums explained that prior to that point, Varric had been embellishing the story, making Hawke's escape from Lothering seem more like what we've seen in the trailers (glorious combat and whatnot), when in reality, it was just Hawke and a few others being level 1 and running for their lives. So when Varric retells the story to the Chantry woman, the fancy armor and abilities have disappeared.

There will still be abilities and armor.

In regards to DA:O (since I don't want to dig up the Origins thread), GoA was interesting (I came into this one just wanting to hack and slash) but I really hope they go back to this at some point in the future as a DLC, because the ending cutscene was really abrupt and leaves you with more questions. Reason I said as DLC is because I have a feeling it'll turn up at some point in some form in DA2, because one of the flashbacks in the trailer shows Hawke facing off against something that looks almost exactly like GoA's final boss (1:28 mark of the trailer on Bioware's site).
That being said, next DLC is rumored to center around Morrigan.

Tags
bioware, ps3, rpg, windows, xbox360