AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-14, 16:59   Link #81
Theowne
耳をすませば

Episode 2 is hot off the presses (Central-Anime's, that is), go and get it. Thanks, Heibi.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 19:32   Link #82
Kirarakim

I feel really bad but I still can not bring myself to like Mihashi. I just find all his quirks really annoying.

I do love everyone else on the team though which makes up for Mihashi, especially Tajima. He cracks me up and really reminds me of teenage boys I used to know.
Old 2010-04-14, 19:58   Link #83
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tajima is definitely my favorite on this show as well - his "Oh no - I forgot to masturbate!" may have been the funniest line of 2007. I do also like Mihashi, though - in spite of all his quirks, which really bothered me at first. I grew to like him more as the series progressed, for whatever reason.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 20:42   Link #84
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Tajima is definitely my favorite on this show as well - his "Oh no - I forgot to masturbate!" may have been the funniest line of 2007. I do also like Mihashi, though - in spite of all his quirks, which really bothered me at first. I grew to like him more as the series progressed, for whatever reason.
Oh boy, I saw the first few episodes of Ookiku in my anime club and the girl who brought it in was giving us grief for making so many ball jokes. Cue that line and everyone else is going "Wait, did I seriously just read that?!?"

Back to this episode, I think I missed one or two things (knitting+reading subtitles=tricky) so two things. One, how is the next game for the team already the third round game? I thought they played in the first round and were about to go up for the second round, did I forget something?
Also, what is a "called game"? Last game the couch and Abe seemed to be making a ton of calls but I don't think that's what they meant.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-14, 21:05   Link #85
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Oh boy, I saw the first few episodes of Ookiku in my anime club and the girl who brought it in was giving us grief for making so many ball jokes. Cue that line and everyone else is going "Wait, did I seriously just read that?!?"

Back to this episode, I think I missed one or two things (knitting+reading subtitles=tricky) so two things. One, how is the next game for the team already the third round game? I thought they played in the first round and were about to go up for the second round, did I forget something?
Also, what is a "called game"? Last game the couch and Abe seemed to be making a ton of calls but I don't think that's what they meant.
A called game is when you have a certain number of runs more than your opponent at about the 5th or 7th inning of the game(can't remember). It's like 7-10 runs more. If you do the game is called and your team wins.

It's the third round because it's the third round of actual games. Has nothing to do with how many games you've played.
Old 2010-04-14, 21:49   Link #86
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
A called game is when you have a certain number of runs more than your opponent at about the 5th or 7th inning of the game(can't remember). It's like 7-10 runs more. If you do the game is called and your team wins.

It's the third round because it's the third round of actual games. Has nothing to do with how many games you've played.
Ah, so they're trying to put a huge number of runs on the board early on so that they can win easier/give Mihashi a rest? (especially since the other team likes to go into extra innings/gave up a lot of runs). And round number =/= game number, strange but I guess I can live with that. Thanks! (I swear, this show doubled what little knowledge of baseball I had )
Old 2010-04-14, 22:25   Link #87
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Ah, so they're trying to put a huge number of runs on the board early on so that they can win easier/give Mihashi a rest? (especially since the other team likes to go into extra innings/gave up a lot of runs). And round number =/= game number, strange but I guess I can live with that. Thanks! (I swear, this show doubled what little knowledge of baseball I had )
Yep. Lots of runs.

To further broaden your knowledge:
Also, one thing that might confuse you is when they announce a player to bat they call out his actual place in the batting order and not whether he's first to bat in the inning or not. An example is a cleanup batter( the 4th person in the batting line-up) actually batting first in an inning. You'll hear the announcer say "Batting 4th, center fielder, Hanai."

Also:
In Japanese high school baseball uniform numbers correspond with their positions for the first 9 players(regulars/starters). 1 is the pitcher, 2 the catcher, etc...
Old 2010-04-15, 04:44   Link #88
Blaat

Quote:
Some teams have to play an extra game (not Nishiura) which was the second round.
Old 2010-04-15, 08:01   Link #89
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Some teams have to play an extra game (not Nishiura) which was the second round.
After my explanation and some sleep this just occurred to me. Thanks for adding that tidbit.
Old 2010-04-15, 08:45   Link #90
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Also:
In Japanese high school baseball uniform numbers correspond with their positions for the first 9 players(regulars/starters). 1 is the pitcher, 2 the catcher, etc...
Ah, I think I remember a scene in the first season where someone said they had to take the numbers off after each game, so that would be because some positions might be changed after each game right?

It's funny, I actually want to see a real baseball game this summer after actually learning some stuff here, I blame all the inner monologues.
Old 2010-04-15, 08:57   Link #91
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

The round three despite being only their second game, is due to the bracket system. It's not uncommon for early rounds in the tournament for the top seeded brackets to get a "bye". A bye is when you don't have an opponent that round.

Since Toudai (sp?) was a top A seed their bracket had a bye in the second round. (This was actually shown on the board last season when they drew lots to determine their bracket. And the players discussed it, hoping to draw a C seed team so they would have a bye in a later round.)

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-17, 09:19   Link #92
Ziziphus
Whatever

This thread needs more love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I feel really bad but I still can not bring myself to like Mihashi. I just find all his quirks really annoying.
Personally, I find those quirks very cute and fun to watch. And I love how Abe snaps every single time he's with Mihashi. Like Abe said, they just don't communicate to each other on a same level, there's always something off between those two.

I hope their relationship will improve as the series progresses though.

Btw, I love how Abe tries to control his temper in this ep ("I'm not going to yell. I must be a rock" ). His face looks so cute while he does that. But I know it won't be effective for long anyway.
Old 2010-04-17, 10:02   Link #93
tsunade666

It's like I'm watching the manga move. Its almost all the same and the pace. But still I like it but some are remove though I wish in season 1 they didn't remove the remark about mihoshi and the club manager girl. With that remove.... its more likely the story has no bit of romance but just pure baseball. Its fine by me though I would like if mihoshi will start having a backbone.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 14:53   Link #94
Blaat

Episode 3 is out by Central-Anime, great episode although is it me or is the match really fast paced compared to the first series even the animation seems faster (I loved the first person viewpoint when Abe stole the 2nd base).

Also is the match is played during a weekday? I was looking forward to hearing the bands play, specifically hearing the band version of the Yamato opening again. But there are no spectators what so ever.
Old 2010-04-21, 20:20   Link #95
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Yup, this one is played during school hours by two teams with minimum number of players and no "official" cheering clubs so nobody comes except mothers and grandpas.

Plus none of them are ranked or considered good teams. (At this point most probably think Toudai (sp?) lost in a fluke).

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 00:31   Link #96
tsunade666

its tosei . the one they win on the first match. and the pace is still the same. Its the same as the manga its just that the enemy is just nobody.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 13:32   Link #97
Kirarakim

The cheering moms were definitely my favorite part of episode 3. They were hilarious.

Quote:
Personally, I find those quirks very cute and fun to watch. And I love how Abe snaps every single time he's with Mihashi. Like Abe said, they just don't communicate to each other on a same level, there's always something off between those two.
Abe I really like and I also find it amusing that he tries to control his naturally gruff sounding tone.

But I don't know I think my issue with Mihashi is he is a bit too ridiculous for me. The other characters seem like real teenage boys & that is specifically what I like about them, Mihashi just doesn't.
Old 2010-04-22, 23:01   Link #98
Ziziphus
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But I don't know I think my issue with Mihashi is he is a bit too ridiculous for me. The other characters seem like real teenage boys & that is specifically what I like about them, Mihashi just doesn't.
Haha, Mihashi isn't your average teenage boy for sure. But he has a good reason for being what he is now. And I think it's not like we can't find a personality like that somewhere in real life.

On to episode 3, great as always. The game seems fast-paced b/c well, it's fast-paced in the manga too. Although there're more monologues/calculations by the players in the manga if I remember correctly.

I have a question. At the beginning, the boys insist that Hanai win the jan-ken-pon to make them the home team. Does being the home team have any advantage or have anything to do with them planning to have a called game?
Old 2010-04-23, 00:07   Link #99
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

It means you bat in the lower part of the inning. In the case of an extra game, or in extra innings, if the home team gets the winning run the visiting team doesn't get the chance to bat again. However, if the visiting team gets a run they have to defend it for 1 inning.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 05:30   Link #100
totalnet

I think it has to do with the Called Game. Since the home team bats in the bottom of each inning. If they are ahead by more than 10 runs, I think, by the 5th or 7th inning, the mercy rule is applied. The game is called when the top of the inning is finish. The bottom inning doesn't need to be played, as the home team doesn't need anymore runs.

If Nishiura was the visiting team, they will have to bat at the top of each inning. This is give the home team in the bottom of the inning a chance to get a run or two to stay off a called game.

I am not too sure which how many runs are needed to be ahead and in what inning to end in a called game in Japanese high school baseball. Because there was this one high school game where the score 66-0 by the 2nd inning and the game was called using the mercy rule. Officially, the game is recorded as 9-0 ending in the 2nd inning.

Last edited by totalnet; 2010-04-23 at 05:40.
totalnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports