AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 144 54.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 4.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.29%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-25, 06:20   Link #141
RedWing

I laughed. The crying was so melodramatic it was hilarious.
Old 2011-06-25, 08:46   Link #142
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Yet, Jinta was wearing another fitting t-shirt during the shrine scene... "真心", "sincerity". That was a scene full of sincerity alright when everyone let it all out. I wonder if they made him wear all these t-shirts on purpose, lol.

Nice bitter sweet wrap up in the end but it felt a bit cut off. Menma's wish actually turned out to be Jinta's mother's wish when her wish was for everyone to get back together and get along. So in a way, her wish wasn't really granted.

Jinta's change of t-shirt to 無常, "uncertainty" during the credits pretty much confirms things were just starting to mend themselves for the characters.

Last edited by Xcomp; 2011-06-25 at 09:01. Reason: T-shirts
Old 2011-06-25, 09:03   Link #143
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
"I Left You", by REMEDIOS.

It will be in OST 1 bundled with first volume of BD, releasing on 6/29.´
Thaks a lot!
Old 2011-06-25, 11:18   Link #144
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Here comes a wall of text: Good show overall, probably the first show in years that had my attention in a vice grip. At the start of the series I thought the show was perfectly executed, but towards the end the pacing felt really rushed and I felt that they started skipping scenes where if given enough time they would have explained the characters reasoning more carefully.

This last episode was a mixed bag. I felt the drama was a bit cheapened by everyone but poor Poppo being involved in a love-triangle, although I'm not bothered by this aspect too much, but it is such an oft-occurring theme. Also during that certain scene I felt good execution was sacrificed in order for their characters to give out their reasonings within the time alloted. It ended up feeling rushed, while they were "Confessing" one couldn't help but anticipate and smirkishly-emphathize with all the crying the CVs had to do before their soliloquy. This part was forced but it's good that they put it in to explain the characters reasoning. It was neccessary melodrama to get some key plot points across.

By the time they got back to the letters, I forgot about emphathizing and got absorbed into watching again. The opening of the letters was probably the sweetest scene in this entire series. That and Menma and Yadomi finally confessing to eachother (Sheesh! Yadomi is stubborn and is really just not honest with himself! I guess that is part of his charm.) Thinking about it, the final fruition of their relationship is really a bitterwsweet thing, especially among this cast of characters. Almost all of them harbor unrequited love, except for one pair, and the one pair that truly likes each other can never be. Oh well, Menma and Yadomi don't seem to be the type to torture themselves over such a thing. If it were Yukiatsu in his place... he would probably have a breakdown and do something drastic, so perhaps he's better off that Menma doesn't want to be his bride.

Nice ending montage, glad to see them all doing well.

Episode: 7/10. A "Good" rating for me, it gave me teary eyes and didn't leave any soul- torturing questions left over. It tied everything up. It had some hitches, obviously some parts were rushed. It was a satisfying last episode. But as a final episode, it's lacking something that would leave a strong impression, as in something that I won't forget after a week. It didn't have something truly memorable. (That's not criteria for a good anime but it is for a great anime in my book.)

Series: Just finished so I may be bias, but I would say 8/10 (Very high for me, best rating I've handed out in 2-3 years.) This show just had such a powerful melancholic feel to it and they executed it so well. Well done but lacking something special to go higher. No scene that i will remember and think how awesome that was! And I never felt emotionally tied to any character. Still a good series that I would recommend.
Old 2011-06-25, 13:48   Link #145
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Like one of my friends said the ending was "okay" and about what I expected, but sometimes it's about the journey as opposed to the ending of it that matters and in this case the journey of getting to know these characters and seeing how Menma's death affected them, causing them to drift apart only to reunite years later with her sudden re-appearance, was consistently engaging throughout.

I'm particularly glad that when the whole love pentagon thing drifted back to the surface at the beginning of the episode that it was quickly resolved and trumped by the strong friendship theme that has permeated the series throughout. Romantic tension only has so much place in this story and I'm glad the writers realized that and didn't try to make it a central focus so much as a subplot among many.

The final part with the hide and seek was my favorite part of the episode. Was surprised that it actually had me on the edge of my seat a little until Menma revealed herself to everyone and it was nice that everybody got to see Menma one last time (the first time for everyone besides Jinta) before she vanished for good. With the Super Peace Busters officially being a group again they'll be fine for it now, because they have each other to get through any tough times that might be ahead.

Really glad I choose to pick up this show. I should thank [C], because if it hadn't gotten so hilariously awful I would never have felt the desire to try and offset it by checking out the other noitaminA show and would have completely missed the Slice of Life show that at long last managed to strike a chord with me after so many prior favors. I've completed a bit of a journey myself here and like the SPB I feel much better off for it in the end even though there was a lot of misery involved to get to this point.
Old 2011-06-25, 14:41   Link #146
CWW
Lurker

Stupid forum doesn't let me quote the text within a quote. Manual it is, since this is too awesome to miss out on. Click the show button to reveal the awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan
Spoiler:
Translated in red above. I highlighted Tomatsu's important message in bold. Might sound a bit weird at places without an editor.
Don't worry. It read pretty natural to me.

And a rep back at ya!
Old 2011-06-25, 22:28   Link #147
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Review of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai by me, up at The Nihon Review
Old 2011-06-26, 00:32   Link #148
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

My mind is now officially blown after watching this.
Old 2011-06-26, 01:10   Link #149
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Flowers for A Lady

It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point. Menma’s death was the beginning of the problems they were forced to face, and meeting her again was really just the first step to personal healing they all would need to go through to finally be able to move on completely. Menma’s appearance managed to put into real perspective each of the issues each character had to face, but she was not the one to cure them. For everything she’s done, her presence merely put them on the road to recovery; she cannot make them travel the road. She made them see the problems they’ve been having since childhood, but she cannot make them face them. At the time it was time for her to leave the second and final time, she had shown them the roads they can travel, but she cannot make them move. They would have to do so themselves.

That is why Jinta’s still struggling to go to school with Anaru. That is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko still find a bit of awkwardness between them. That is why Poppo is struggling with books he would have studied if he went to school Each one has a road they have to catch up on after time almost stopped for them that time. Menma put their time back into motion, and each one still has a long road ahead of them.
Old 2011-06-26, 02:11   Link #150
fazer

I think everyone have a "perfect ending" in their mind.

How can we expect everyone's issue to be fixed with just one episode or in 1 day?
Even after Menma left, I do not believe Jinta and Yukiatsu were immediately enlightened, some thoughts and feelings definitely lingers on, but at least they eventually understood. The epilogue gave us some hints, but no real answers.

I demand more episodes! Turn this into a crappy franchise and feed me all the nonsenses I see in other anime, thus making me hate this anime, instead of this emptiness!

Then again maybe not...let's just keep it the way it is.
Old 2011-06-26, 02:41   Link #151
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point.
As I read the posts I see the opposite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Some, actually, a lot of the scenes in this episode were cringe worthy, but overall it was a decent conclusion to the series, nothing was left unresolved, so I'm happy. But goddamn, the whole hide and seek part was just awful, I wanted to skip forward. >_<
I think everyone got their issues out into the open when they all confessed to each other at the temple. As you say, the characters are realistic to have personal problems acknowledged, but not necessarily solved immediately thereafter, as people need time to heal.

Actually, most of the posts seem to be criticizing how overly dramatic the finale was. All the yelling and crying may have worn off after 10 episodes. The characters got so dramatic, some viewers started laughing at how silly they were acting, as if in a play to draw the audience's laughter. Most posts look something like the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Pros:

2. Concretely answering the question of "What Is Menma"s Wish?" It was simple, but believable, and not overly predictable imo. The wish also has poetic meta-commentary to me, as this series is all about the crying, lol.

3. Firmly resolving most relationship questions, and bringing things to a proper head there.

Cons:

1. Emotionally overwrought. I wonder if this would have made me cry even if I hadn't been desensitized by all the Menma crying in the first half of the anime series. Maybe I would have, but I'm not sure.
I'm not trying to put down your post. I'm just trying to see if what you're considering is actually what everyone else is considering. What you have above is a very compelling interpretation of Anohana's conclusion, but I think everyone else also agrees with you.

I do pay attention... I just haven't had a lot of sleep lately. Too busy talking to my Menma sundress. Oh Menma, how do I love thee? Let me wear the ways...
Old 2011-06-26, 02:44   Link #152
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I do pay attention... I just haven't had a lot of sleep lately. Too busy talking to my Menma sundress. Oh Menma, how do I love thee? Let me wear the ways...

Backs away slowly.
Old 2011-06-26, 03:00   Link #153
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, at least he isn't sniffing it.... yet.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-26, 03:11   Link #154
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Review of Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai by me, up at The Nihon Review
Actually, it's unfair to compare this to Kanon and CLANNAD - not unfair to Anohana, but to Key. If you only consider the works as pure works and disregard the differences between the original games and their anime adaptations, those are really far from the best works of Key - in fact, I'm dare to say Kanon is the most "plain" work of Key (I'm trying to avoid the term "worst" ). They just happened to get the best resources for anime adaptation, comparing to other Key works.

With that said, though, personally I wouldn't compare Anohana to Key works. Most Key works are meant to be epic: tearjerking, giving you heartache, making you feel impacted, etc. I don't see Anohana that way. To me, Anohana is like a sketch that's meant to strike a chord with its audience through an ordinary story, and it certainly stroke one with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Flowers for A Lady

It is argued that the ending of the show didn't resolve all loose ends and didn’t really fix up the issues each of the characters are facing. I agree with this sentiment, but I see it as both as a real presentation of reality rather than a plot fault because, in truth, who would have really managed to fix all their problems at that point. Menma’s death was the beginning of the problems they were forced to face, and meeting her again was really just the first step to personal healing they all would need to go through to finally be able to move on completely. Menma’s appearance managed to put into real perspective each of the issues each character had to face, but she was not the one to cure them. For everything she’s done, her presence merely put them on the road to recovery; she cannot make them travel the road. She made them see the problems they’ve been having since childhood, but she cannot make them face them. At the time it was time for her to leave the second and final time, she had shown them the roads they can travel, but she cannot make them move. They would have to do so themselves.

That is why Jinta’s still struggling to go to school with Anaru. That is why Yukiatsu and Tsuruko still find a bit of awkwardness between them. That is why Poppo is struggling with books he would have studied if he went to school Each one has a road they have to catch up on after time almost stopped for them that time. Menma put their time back into motion, and each one still has a long road ahead of them.
Indeed. Menma's (re)appearance is just to fill in the gap of their lives. She didn't do any magic by resolving everything; in fact, she didn't really do much. She appeared, hanged around for a bit, that's all. It's up to others to get their lives moving again. That's the merit of the show to me.
Old 2011-06-26, 03:21   Link #155
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I really dislike the KEY comparisons this anime gets. I may be biased since I like this anime more than clannad or any other KEY work, but I kind of feel like the shows go for different things.

While Ano Hana felt like a cohesive plot centering on the journey of overcoming personal loss, the other KEY stories seemed to be focused on screwing around for many episodes until revealing its purpose in certain arcs.

Basically, Ano Hana always felt like it had a point, a purpose to it even if it tried to hit sentimental chords as well.
Old 2011-06-26, 03:25   Link #156
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Actually, it's unfair to compare this to Kanon and CLANNAD - not unfair to Anohana, but to Key. If you only consider the works as pure works and disregard the differences between the original games and their anime adaptations, those are really far from the best works of Key - in fact, I'm dare to say Kanon is the most "plain" work of Key (I'm trying to avoid the term "worst" ). They just happened to get the best resources for anime adaptation, comparing to other Key works.

With that said, though, personally I wouldn't compare Anohana to Key works. Most Key works are meant to be epic: tearjerking, giving you heartache, making you feel impacted, etc. I don't see Anohana that way. To me, Anohana is like a sketch that's meant to strike a chord with its audience through an ordinary story, and it certainly stroke one with me.

Indeed. Menma's (re)appearance is just to fill in the gap of their lives. She didn't do any magic by resolving everything; in fact, she didn't really do much. She appeared, hanged around for a bit, that's all. It's up to others to get their lives moving again. That's the merit of the show to me.
I would actually be upset some way if at the epilogue (if you could call it that) everyone was suddenly chipper like nothing had ever happened or everything was right again. Not everything is right, and it I suspect based on personal experience that it won't be for a long time. At the very least, the healing has begun, something that could not really even begin until Menma ended up appearing before Jinta.
Old 2011-06-26, 03:42   Link #157
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Everybody is entitled to see similarities that other individuals may not see. I also don't see similarities betweeen AnoHana and Key but if someone else does, then so be it. What I don't swallow though, is comparing one cour shows with multiple cour shows, since they obviously had a different potential to begin with.

So when I read that Clannad (49 episodes counting the specials) or Kanon (24 episodes) have been better in portraying character and expanding in emotional situations than AnoHana (11 episodes!), I don't know, I get the feeling it's a tad unfair towards the latter. For example, I've read several Stephen King's books and I find his 6/700+ pages works way more detailed and immersive than his 200 pages' productions. Strangely unsurprising, I believe.

When I think at AnoHana, I feel the need to put it in the same league of other one cour anime (and even so AnoHana is penalized because 11 episodes is a rather unusual standard and 11 versus 13 is already quite the difference). I've been checking my watchlist and I don't seem to find another anime that gave out so much in such a short span of episodes.
Old 2011-06-26, 04:32   Link #158
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

*headdesk*

Urgh, you guys! I only brought up the Key adaptations because they're the most similar comparisons in terms of the 'magical realism' genre I can think of; I suppose I could choose Bakemonogatari as an example instead, but even then as far as I can recall, the Key adaptations would still be more similar to Ano Hana than Bakemonogatari would be.

And having already seen how easily you people can be goaded into an Okada-Maeda compare-and-bitch-fest, I kept to the 'magical realism' similarities of Ano Hana and the Key adaptations while avoiding which-is-better comparison, and you guys go ahead and start the which-is-better bitching anyway! What the hell, people...

Spoiler:

...is this how you guys perceive me? I mean, c'mon!

Old 2011-06-26, 05:00   Link #159
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

(Note to all) More importantly, save reviews and overall series' impressions for when the thread will be created. This thread is to comment the last episode, not the series as a whole.
Old 2011-06-26, 05:34   Link #160
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
...is this how you guys perceive me? I mean, c'mon!
YES MY LORD!

In all seriousness, both series are melodramatic and have magical elements so I can see why some might try to compare them, even if I disagree with the comparison (I just feel the comparisons made are a tad shallow is all, not that I was trying to say which series is better really).
Closed Thread