AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 144 54.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 4.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.29%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-24, 14:20   Link #101
tsunade666

Super ending that I got to give a 10/10

From the start where Menma was still there, to the part where they gather without Menma to say out their real feelings. Such heavy emotions that keeps up piling up. Then when Gintan got home. Menma is starting to disappear but he still carried her over to the base but when he arrived he can't see her anymore. It's really hard to watch it. For my taste that is even if I watched and liked this genre I just find it hard to watch as it goes deeper. I just paused a break for a moment before continuing. And as the group go search for her. The letter that's been arrange like petals of flowers. Such superb events and script writing. It all felt so real for me. Then they go act like before and Menma finally been seen by everyone. She really want to be reincarnated ;_;

It's really touching..................

Then after that the after story event was funny. Gintan and Anaru. Tsuruki and Yukiatsu. And Poppo studying again SUPER PEACE BUSTER! FRIENDS FOR EVER!
Old 2011-06-24, 14:27   Link #102
CWW
Lurker

"Now I'm ready!"

The moment the ED chorus started, accompanied by that line, it sent chills down my spine. Still haven't shed tears, which proves I'm a soulless robot, but that was damn touching. Haven't really composed myself yet to write more words. Menma ;______________;
Old 2011-06-24, 14:39   Link #103
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Boy, I don't know... People carry emotional trauma around for literally more than half their lives, and finally it bursts out - and it was overdramatic? I don't see that, but to each his own.
Old 2011-06-24, 14:40   Link #104
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post

Spoiler for what I think is not completely resolved:

Spoiler for i think it was...:

i have to say that the episode teetered on melodramatic at some points, but the overall message was good. i just wished it was a bit subtler.

also wished they went more in depth with poppo and tsuruko. especially tsuruko--a lot of people totally vilified yukiatsu because they thought he was ignoring her feelings, little did we know lol.

i'm very happy though that they are moving on from menma, though jintan's love was reciprocated so it's a lot more tragic.

i don't find tsuruko x yukiatsu remotely believable but that's just me. i think how it was painted so platonically just makes the possibility seemed rushed. not to mention tsuruko had been hiding her feelings for like ever.

my favourite part was menma's wish--it was a child's innocence personified. totally didn't expect it.

still wanted yukiatsu x anaru endgame but i'll live, especially now that their understanding isn't as random as people thought according to tsuruko's words
Old 2011-06-24, 14:53   Link #105
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
REVIEW

This is how slice of life/dramas should be made. The way this series ended, this episode, is very satisfying.
I agree. Yukiatsu was certainly the most interesting character. Until Poppo's revelation, I had thought that Yukiatsu bore the loss of Menma the hardest in the way it played out even in his secret moments. I love how the series portrayed his character's resentment, guilt, and bitterness, and Sakurai was able to capture and express that so well in his performance.

Having read all of the posts on this thread, I'd have to say I've never seen so many admissions of manly tears before.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:01   Link #106
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Boy, I don't know... People carry emotional trauma around for literally more than half their lives, and finally it bursts out - and it was overdramatic? I don't see that, but to each his own.
Well I know people who carry their emotional trauma with them for their lives, I myself being one of them. It is not easy to let go of someone's death, be it accidental or purposeful, especially when the person is close to you.

But this is totally a Key-ish anime, but probably the most brilliant thing is that like Kyou No Go No Ni, they used Zone's infamous Secret base as their ED. The song, and their lyrics, are priceless.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:18   Link #107
deadite

Someone mentioned that the entire show was a metaphorical game of hide and seek with Menma and the Busters.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:35   Link #108
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well I know people who carry their emotional trauma with them for their lives, I myself being one of them. It is not easy to let go of someone's death, be it accidental or purposeful, especially when the person is close to you.
I don't disagree at all. But my point was that if and when all that stuff finally comes out, it isn't going to be a quiet and subtle moment. It's going to be a torrent of emotion and probably self-pity, especially when we're talking about people in the situation these characters were in.

In a way, that's a very simple and straightforward distillation of Menma's impact as a ghost. She allowed (forced) the others to confront their emotional trauma, rather than continue to suppress it.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:38   Link #109
InfiniteDistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I'm not overly emotional in general, but I've had a person really close to me die a few years ago. It's something that never leaves my mind. I don't dwell on it, but not a day goes by where I don't think of her, even now.

I've had breakdowns at times, and the events in the last episode definitely hit home. In fact, I found it very realistic. That's why I love this show (and the ending), for it's realism when it comes to emotion.
Old 2011-06-24, 15:55   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Well, this ep most certainly worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellomarie View Post
i don't find tsuruko x yukiatsu remotely believable but that's just me. i think how it was painted so platonically just makes the possibility seemed rushed. not to mention tsuruko had been hiding her feelings for like ever.
She hasn't exactly been hiding them. Everyone could see it, except Yukiatsu. Which in a way is even worse. Will he be able to switch from obliviousness to love? Maybe, now that he's made his peace regarding Menma.
Old 2011-06-24, 16:13   Link #111
Kirarakim

I have to admit like others I thought some of the crying and yelling in this episode was a bit over done.

But that being said I was very happy with how things concluded. I thought story and character wise it was an excellent ending just the execution wasn't perfect.

edit: Favorite part of the episode was definitely everyone reading the letters Menma wrote to them and everyone saying I love you back to her.
Old 2011-06-24, 16:54   Link #112
CWW
Lurker

Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment?
Old 2011-06-24, 16:56   Link #113
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I Finally had a chance to see this today. Very, very nice ending to a sweet series. However I think someone was cutting onions around me when I was watching, made my eyes water a bit.
Old 2011-06-24, 16:59   Link #114
awkwardanimals

Good ending to a great series. I felt that it was too melodramatic, however, at some points. Especially all the yelling and crying during the first half. I think I might have been desensitized to the crying because Menma did it every episode, but it felt...forced.

However I did cry, myself. Starting when they read the letters from Menma at the end. From then until about...an hour after the episode ended I was crying haha.

Ending: 7/10
Show: 9/10
Old 2011-06-24, 17:06   Link #115
TrippedUp

Although JintAnaru is my OTP, the letter that Menma wrote to Jintan was so freakin adorable <3

I love the fact that it wasn't about Jintan and Menma saying they loved eachother and said goodbye, the whole thing included everyone. The SPB were a 6 person squad. I love anime's that although touch on romance, focus more on the friendships.
Old 2011-06-24, 17:07   Link #116
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But this is totally a Key-ish anime, but probably the most brilliant thing is that like Kyou No Go No Ni, they used Zone's infamous Secret base as their ED. The song, and their lyrics, are priceless.
That's interesting, and I'd forgotten that Kyou No Go No Ni used "Secret Base" as well. Young Jintan is a dead-ringer for Ryouta, for one. But it also isn't hard to imagine AnoHana as a follow-up to KnGnN - a story of three boys and three girls just beginning to have the complicating factor of attraction intrude on their circle of friendship. Obviously it was a much more comedic series, but - especially the OVA - was quite emotional at times, and one of the better anime about elementary schoolers and their emotions.
Old 2011-06-24, 17:08   Link #117
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

Argh, I think I cried a too much that my keyboard is soaked with tears T_T

Anyway, so the title of this show is like Symbolism of Menma and how characters move on to brighter future??

Also, I can say that this series can match with any Key works though, some might disagree with me :P
Old 2011-06-24, 17:43   Link #118
Windows X

I haven't cried for a few years already. It seems I shed years worth tears just for this ones. T_T

P.S. I don't think this is Key-ish. Ahohana is very smooth and realistic with awesome casts and compositions. You won't find this gem in every year, you know?
Old 2011-06-24, 18:01   Link #119
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment?
It's a compliment, but I felt she's kinda switched Anaru and Tsuruko's letters.
Old 2011-06-24, 18:02   Link #120
icatero
well, okay

I too believe that Menma was reincarnated into that flower. It's planted right in the spot she took next to the tree, isn't it?

Anyways, I'm quite satisfied with the ending. I'm a bit tired from all that crying though.

On a side note: I feel like Anaru's and Yukiatsu's letters were switched.
Closed Thread