AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 16 21.62%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 33.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 28.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-04, 00:13   Link #21
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Chitanda thinking it was a mixed bath and being okay with it... Oreki perfectly recreating a mental picture of her getting into the bath...

...Huh? What? Oh yeah, the story for this episode is good as well, tying together both the main mystery and the subplot about siblings.

P.S - I'm surprise Oreki didn't make a crack about little sisters not always being cute...

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-06-04 at 03:03.
Old 2012-06-04, 00:34   Link #22
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Damn it, this show is brilliant. I got chills, I got excited brain cells, and I even got slightly annoyed. That entire package just makes everything that much more entertaining.

I don't know about everyone else, but I still haven't seen anything that convinces me that Houtarou and Chitanda are legitimately into each other. We saw him blushing at a dripping wet woman out of the bath; what teenage boy doesn't get nervous at that? To me, their relationship feels more like a unique friendship where Chitanda leans far too much on Houtarou for her problems but is overall very grateful to him for it, while Houtarou gets annoyed by Chitanda's pestering but ultimately has a rewarding feeling about helping her. I'm not asking for concrete "holding hands and kissing on the sidewalk" evidence, but I don't sense Cupid's presence looming overhead as of yet.

Whether I'm right or entirely wrong, this episode was so exciting. I don't know what you people see when you say "nothing happened", but perhaps I could suggest letting loose and considering it to be a packaged box of mini-serials instead of it all being tied together? I can definitely agree that if you view each episode hoping that it will all build up to something, then it could be quite boring. However, take each episode for what it is, and then watch another series or do something completely different afterwards to get your mind off of it. That's what I do, and this show is like a weekly dose of adrenaline. It's a burst of visuals, a looming atmosphere, and the promise of mystery which it delivers. Sure, it ain't Sherlock Holmes, but it ain't tryin' to be. Remember those old crime dramas on radio back when TV wasn't a thing? It's like those, but with some pretty epic animations.

Spoiler for Favourite Moments:

I think plenty happened already.
well ok let's go
some points love:
first episode - when she maker her first "geee"(stare" on him and him have a vision on her with longs and beautiful hair with flowers and trap him, show how he get the first feelings of "i can't deny her wish, and him friend saiyng she is the first person he can't say "no" he was away know for aways says "no"

second episode again when she say the cataphrase he says her like a maid and when he gona choose the worsty food she deny and pull him hand to he good one to the point where he can't say no

third episode she say "u can take this like a confession" this means she have feelings for him but dont think is the right time to really confess, something likes "i can't say now i love u but this doens't means i don't love either.

she aways get him hands and pull him to everywere she want, i dont know for u but for me if i really dont like some1 i dont aways says yes and follow some1 to any place without i really want go like him try to show"even if him dont want go just for her get him hand and pull him show how her have him under control".

in the episode 6 when she says the lie about dont want to "spend energy and want to conserve" he just her like a angel and finally fin him soulmate(and get sad after she says is a joke)this show how deeply he liker her, but the problem is he is just a "tsundere" char and like all tsunderes aways try to hidde him love side.

this episode only show how more him like her, and her like him, she just no confessed yet because still have 18 episodes lol and is too early for then become a couple.

for me just to then become a couple is the kiss or confession.

the most awesome part was when she talked about the mix bath like she really wanted "bath with him".
Old 2012-06-04, 01:16   Link #23
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

Eru's face thrusts on Hotarou are almost into self-parody territory now. And the elder sister Rie had a face thrust of her own. Eru better watch out, someone else is encroaching on her territory.

Also, about Hotarou being at least a bit infatuated with Eru: I thought he popped a boner there when she touched his face after he passed out in the bath. Hence why he curled up in the fetal position.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:55   Link #24
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
My favourite parts were definitely the hot spring scenes. Excessively detailed movements aside, it's been a while since I've seen Kyoani's masterful convenient censorship techniques since FMP Fumoffu. The little boy's head in front of the camera and the basin floating by brought to mind scenes of Chizuru's important parts being obscured by a leaf, only to be blocked by a metal pole after the leaf moves when the bug sitting on it flies away or when Tessa falls on her butt and a rubber duck conveniently lands where it matters.
I seriously LOL at that scene when the boy are in front of him. I was like "I see what you did there. I've seen this before."

Quote:

This gets me every damn time.
I like how they have Mayaka next to Eru and have a face that seems to say "I know Chi-chan's face and eyes will work on you, but let me just add mine to make it really certain." It would be perfect if they made Mayaka gave enthusiastic nods as Eru said that.

We also have plenty of their relationship development this week. While it may not be down right in love yet, Houtarou is now clearly conscious of the fact that he has a girl who're very close to him. We also see that Eru start to understand more about Houtarou's behavior. On their second walk to the onsen, she noticed his eyes casted down a little and kept quite. I interpreted that as she came to understand that he was already thinking. So she didn't press him any further.

Next week, we'll finally get to the next big arc? Looking forward to it.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:20   Link #25
kimpleng
Lurker

Don't forget "Someday in the Rain" when Nagato Yuki censoring Mikuru.

Relaxing episode. Now waiting for someone who probably travel to this inn. I really like photo of real world place used for references by KyoAni.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:28   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's actually a pretty typical rural onsen ryokan. I stayed in one in Hirayu (about an hour from Takayama, where Hyouka is based) that reminds me a lot of this one.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:37   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I seriously LOL at that scene when the boy are in front of him. I was like "I see what you did there. I've seen this before."

I like how they have Mayaka next to Eru and have a face that seems to say "I know Chi-chan's face and eyes will work on you, but let me just add mine to make it really certain." It would be perfect if they made Mayaka gave enthusiastic nods as Eru said that.

We also have plenty of their relationship development this week. While it may not be down right in love yet, Houtarou is now clearly conscious of the fact that he has a girl who're very close to him. We also see that Eru start to understand more about Houtarou's behavior. On their second walk to the onsen, she noticed his eyes casted down a little and kept quite. I interpreted that as she came to understand that he was already thinking. So she didn't press him any further.

Next week, we'll finally get to the next big arc? Looking forward to it.
I hadn't thought much about their second walk to the hot spring, but you could definitely interpret Chitanda's behavior like that. Naturally after this much time she's getting a feel for Houtarou's behavior and when she needs to stay quiet and let him think.

Do wonder if Houtarou becoming much more aware of Chitanda is going to factor into the bigger mystery of this arc or not. The last two episodes have seemed to make it more noticeable after all.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:55   Link #28
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's almost strange that for an onsen episode there's not a whole lot of talk about DAT CHITANDA ERU.

Because really DAT CHITANDA ERU.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:41   Link #29
Skane
Anime Snark

Got to love their censorship techniques. Beats random animals any time.

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:49   Link #30
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Obvious Oreki x Chintanda shipping is obvious .

Anyways, this was a significant improvement from the last episode. Perhaps it was my expectation, because honestly I was just expecting a fanservice ep. Oh we still got fanservice. No doubt for that since Oreki fainted at the imagination of seeing what Chintanda was like naked in an Onsen. Lazy prick aside from aside from when it comes to pleasing Eru with her satiation for solving mysteries and ahem... perving eh?

Apart from that, quite enjoyed the ep. The mystery was decent and of a similar calibre from previous eps and the visuals and attention to detail were excellent per usual.

Although I am still dissappointed chooses to be limited in what they do in terms of diversification, I do appreciate that they are genuine with this series. They don't pretend it's some deep mystery series that's supposed to blow your mind. In other words, it's as far as pretentious as you can get. I also appreciate it isn't (aside from Chintanda herself and her DEM PURPLE EYES and KIMI NI ARIMASU running joke, which to be honest is getting really old now) exaggerated in its moe or how it portrays its comedy (it isn't slapstick).

However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anyone can spend enough money and give you flash - this is art. It's in the mold of Shinkai, "more real than real", as if the artists see the Platonic essence of a pine tree, or a ladybug, or a girls's eyes, and show us that.
I read your full blog post on LiA too Guardian and I have to disagree on your comparison to Shinkai. Shinkai aside from having excellent visuals invokes a really mesmerizing melancholic and bittersweet atmosphere which I cannot be said in any way (aside from the Hyouka OP, which I still believe is very inappropriate) for Hyouka. Hyouka is genuine, light-hearted, but if I had to criticize it of something other than "lacklustre" mysteries (which I think I'll stop criticizing it from that point from now on because now I believe this series isn't meant to be one, like K-on isn't supposed to be a music anime) is the lack of purpose and lack of a central conflict. Really, in the end, what is the point of Hyouka? In the case of Shinkai films, they all revolve around the theme of distance. In other big name slice of life in the past season such as Hanasaku Iroha the central theme was of Ohana coming of age. In Ano Hana, it is about letting go of the past. In Ano Natsu, it was about relationships. Natsuiro Kiseki it's about friendship. Hyouka? I still have no idea what the series point is.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-06-04 at 07:01.
Old 2012-06-04, 07:32   Link #31
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Welp, there's no more doubt Houtarou is attracted to Eru now. Nice fantasy by the way.

The animation quality was top notch once again. The attention to details is amazing (you can see Houtarou's ribs when he leans over). Everybody's always talking about Eru's eyes, but her hair is the sex as well. That ponytail (*´Д`)ハァハァ
There's her voice too... I really can't blame Houtarou for being mesmerized by her.

Not much to say about the mystery. It was run of the mill once again and I figured most of it out as soon as I saw the girl in her yukata.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:15   Link #32
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Hyouka? I still have no idea what the series point is.
I thought the show made it quite clear that its about the growth of Houtarou more than anything else, and the mysteries are vehicles for the character's growth. The OP itself is pretty blatant on the whole "Houtarou in the rain looking pissed off as hell but eventually the clouds clear and he sees 'the light'" symbolism coupled with Eru pulling him out of the club room to do stuff as a club.

And my guess is his character development certainly doesn't end after the events of the whole uncle thingy. As the last few episodes have indicated he still have uncertainties and issues to work out such as his low confidence. With the next "big"(hahaha) arc looming by, I'm fairly sure more of it will be addressed.

Episode 7:

- I expected rays of light or heavy steam throughout the episode, then I remembered from Fumoffu and Haruhi that they don't do that. In the end fan-service of Eru was pretty mild, and there was none of Mayaka. Houtarou and Satoshi on the other hand both got to show off the curves of their body, which I'm sure played a part in the DVD-preorder rankings spike.

- And as I expected, there were plenty of homosexual lusting on the guys side. I have heard rumors before that Takemoto is gay...
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2012-06-04, 08:36   Link #33
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
~~ - And as I expected, there were plenty of homosexual lusting on the guys side. I have heard rumors before that Takemoto is gay...
It might be traditional for him.

Cheers.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:57   Link #34
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:

Satoshi is a boss.
OTP.

I figured out the shadow as soon as the yukata showed up, but everything else completely flummoxed me. Especially the windows being opened. Well played, Hyouka.

Also, I have to say my favorite moment, just because it's my kind of humor, was Chitanda briefly uttering a hint of disappointment that the baths weren't mixed, and then immediately dropping the subject. WAIT WAT?
Old 2012-06-04, 09:24   Link #35
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
OTP.

I figured out the shadow as soon as the yukata showed up, but everything else completely flummoxed me. Especially the windows being opened. Well played, Hyouka.

Also, I have to say my favorite moment, just because it's my kind of humor, was Chitanda briefly uttering a hint of disappointment that the baths weren't mixed, and then immediately dropping the subject. WAIT WAT?
Houtarou better watch out, because she's going to be a demon in bed and drain out all his energy.

Heh.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:04   Link #36
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised that didn't raise alot of attention as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Houtarou better watch out, because she's going to be a demon in bed and drain out all his energy.

Heh.

She's willing to try everything.
Old 2012-06-04, 10:46   Link #37
Marina2

Kayo-chan is so cute >.<

That's all I want to say about this ep.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:00   Link #38
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Heh.
"Oreki-san, according to a book I read, apparently it's more satisfying for both us if we do it in this certain positio-"

"FORGET IT"

"But I'm curious!"

/stops because rest ain't worksafe.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:20   Link #39
ookamigirl

Enjoying the summer vacation.
Guess nothing beats going to an onsen ^^
The mystery of room number 7.
Yet another job for Oreki's unique mind.
It was a pretty nice story, even though there was no real ghost.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-06-04, 11:55   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I read your full blog post on LiA too Guardian and I have to disagree on your comparison to Shinkai. Shinkai aside from having excellent visuals invokes a really mesmerizing melancholic and bittersweet atmosphere which I cannot be said in any way (aside from the Hyouka OP, which I still believe is very inappropriate) for Hyouka. Hyouka is genuine, light-hearted, but if I had to criticize it of something other than "lacklustre" mysteries (which I think I'll stop criticizing it from that point from now on because now I believe this series isn't meant to be one, like K-on isn't supposed to be a music anime) is the lack of purpose and lack of a central conflict. Really, in the end, what is the point of Hyouka? In the case of Shinkai films, they all revolve around the theme of distance. In other big name slice of life in the past season such as Hanasaku Iroha the central theme was of Ohana coming of age. In Ano Hana, it is about letting go of the past. In Ano Natsu, it was about relationships. Natsuiro Kiseki it's about friendship. Hyouka? I still have no idea what the series point is.
You're reading things into my post that aren't there. The Shinkai comparison is strictly based on the visuals. I don't see any similarity to Shinkai at all in the rest of it.
Closed Thread