AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-04-11, 10:40   Link #1
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

Manga That Can Develop into Something Great

Hi folks, currently looking for some really good manga to read.what I'm currently looking is for something serious that has good character development. Any manga you think that have potential can be posted here

examples include koe no kitachi,molester man, onani master kurosawa, again!!, nozoki ana, ORE GA DOUTEI .

any genre is fine and it does not have to be in a school setting, but please I don't want anything that has yuri, yaoi,shounen-ai, shojo-ai. I'm okay with gender bender

oh yeah even if the character development is not present then it should have likable character that I can root for.

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2014-04-12 at 07:31. Reason: misleading title
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 16:37   Link #2
Tenzen12

Well that's some level you set here

Try Yasashi Sekai Tsukiareta considering you have appearently same tastte as me, you should like it.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 18:46   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
My top suggestion is Taiyou no Ie which deals with broken families.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a good pick.

You might like Ao Haru Ride which deals with some serious issues.

Tokyo ESP is an action manga, but also deals with some serious issues such as alienation and so forth. Kind of like the better plots in X-Men.

Koi Dano Ai Dano is light hearted, but has some seriousness, and it's a total blast to read.

Last Inning is a sports manga that is a bit more serious then some, dealing with the way baseball can be a budget decision for schools. The main character hasn't been involved in baseball since punching out the umpire when he was a player. Now he's been called back to lead the team to victory because if they don't make the Koshien this year the school is going to eliminate the team.

There are of course the old classics in this vein such as:

Touch

Cross Game

Maison Ikkoku

Kimagure Orange Road

Angel Dentsu

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-11, 18:48   Link #4
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

thanks for the suggestions guys I'll be sure to check them out

EDIT: if possible anything from 1995-2014 would be great.
Old 2014-04-11, 22:07   Link #5
Tenzen12

Hey Sacked is it just me or you are recommending same three or for mangas, regardless of topic again and again? Well it definitely shows dedication

Anyway Ice Angel Densetsu is indeed great, it might be exact opposite what you ask for, but it's fun.

Tokyo ESP realy has some serious undertones, but level of characterisation is no different from other shonen works like D-Grayman or current Naruto, but again it's quite good.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-04-11 at 22:29.
Old 2014-04-12, 06:47   Link #6
all_flying

I'm a bit confused, since all you've mentioned weren't hidden gem at all (emphasis no 'hidden'), because it has been talked a lot by manga readers (or at least avid ones).

How about some which were less-known? One which immediately comes to mind is Kiyomizu Iroha wa Koi wa Shiranai, a one-shot seinen romance manga with female lead. And of course it has some noticeable character development even though a one shot.

DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything, it has been on the rise lately so maybe you've already know about it? Its a supernatural seinen manwha(?)

Shinonome Yuuko wa Tanpen Shousetsu o Aishite Iru, at least for me. Some people might find it flat or toneless, but I really liked it. This is one of very few manga which gives a light towards shonen romance genre/demographic as a something which shouldn't be underestimated. Because most shonen romance (or romance in shonen manga) are always underhandedly done, even some of them were badly done and gives off very unpleasant after-taste from reading them. But, not for this manga.

Sugar Dark: Umerareta Yami to Shoujo, I'm still reading this. But looking at the premise, setting and how the story was played does sounds promising.
all_flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-12, 07:22   Link #7
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

^ you're right my friend . I'm going to change the title of this thread to "manga that can develop into something great". Thanks for your suggestions

umm how do you change the title again?

Last edited by Cold~as~Ice; 2014-04-12 at 07:39.
Cold~as~Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-13, 05:50   Link #8
Tenzen12

I second. Shinonome Yuuka

After some thinking I would like add
Aku no hana
Mari no Naka
Uwakoi
Strawberry milk

I never finished either of them and personaly dislike this kind of mangas, but they fit description.
Old 2014-04-14, 22:00   Link #9
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I've recently read Ran and the Gray World(Ran to Haiiro no Sekai), and once it gets going, it was a wonderful read =03. The female protagonist is like a Bewitched version of Yotsuba(Yotsubato!). Even though she's childish in a lot of ways, the overall tone still has depth to it.

As always, I daftly recommend Cheese in the Trap. One of my favorite manga/manwhas of all time. I made a topic about it here. Not a lot of people here seem to read it though =0(. Baka-Updates reviews also give an impression of how meticulously detailed this romance thriller really is.

Shounen Note is a nice seinen manga about a boy who sings in soprano. It mostly has a slice-of-life feel, but the MC is just so adorable, you can't help but swoon at his kind and gentle nature(and I'm a guy D0=). Like Ran and the Gray World, there's still a more mature atmosphere in the overall story, though a story about a singing boy may not be to your tastes.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 04:32   Link #10
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

^ read comments for for all 3 on mangahere and got me curious so I'll add them to my list thanks. anything related to music I would prefer it was part of the story but not the main focus and I would like good drama to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post

Mari no Naka
read the others so I'll try this one
Old 2014-04-15, 06:50   Link #11
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa (a.k.a. Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa).

The main character starts off as a coward and failure at life in his mid-40's. He suddenly realizes how much his life sucks and how much he had neglected and abandoned his childhood dreams, so he starts working hard to earn the respect of the people around him and restore meaning and happiness to his life. The start of the manga is a bit awkward and hard to read, but as the story picks up and the main character develops and learns to conquer his problems, this truly becomes an amazing, awe-inspiring manga.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 08:33   Link #12
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold~as~Ice View Post
umm how do you change the title again?
You can't. But I can and did.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-15, 20:04   Link #13
L7997
Paraph

I don't really understand what it is you're looking for, but i highly recommend Kubera, a manhwa, whose art style might put you off but is something you may grow to love and look at with curiosity (because those details actually matter). The pace is a bit slow for people and perhaps too subtle, but the fantasy is thorough. Very thorough. The characters are complex and the written dialogue is a gold. I think the ending will be epic; i have high expectations of the mangaka.

and you know what, it tops Cheese in The Trap if you want drama on an epic fantasy scale >:]

of course i'm too impatient so i'm putting it off for a few months before i look at it again.
L7997 is offline   Reply With Quote