AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-01-24, 09:57   Link #1
Ivyna J. Spyder

Newbie fansubber needs assistance! Please?

Hooray, a fansub board that has people on it! =D Maybe I can get some help here? I'm desperate, I haven't been able to find any information I need...

Anyway, er I'm kind of a one woman fansub team at the moment. ^_^; Okay, I have three people who said they'd help with translation, but they keep 'forgetting' or finding other things to do. O_o

So yeah, any people who can help with a bit of translating would be just lovely...

And my other problem... Well I can't seem to find any decent info on exactly how a fansub works. O_o Okay, I have the DVDs. What format do they need to be in? I have one ep converted to an .mpeg, but does it have to be .avi?

I have SubStation Alpha and Subtitle Workshop for subbing. The latter's really easy to use and I have an easy time with timing stuff but... well, it saves the subs as another format... How the heck are you supposed to combine the subs with the movie itself? ^_^;

Yeah, I have yet to see a single FAQ that explains that one basic thing. O_o Sheesh.

I guess those are the basic things... I will be SO happy if anyone can help me. ^_^; Help stop the spread of bad dubs! XD

Thank you

Last edited by Ivyna J. Spyder; 2004-01-24 at 17:37.
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 10:39   Link #2
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

you need to first get a media editing app that can load subtitle files. I suggest virtual dub. Also you'll need filters for vdub and some codecs. You should get ffdshow, xvid(lastest working binary), lastest divx, radium mp3, lame, and the program vobsub with directshow. Install all the codecs and vdub then install vobsub and when it asks if you want textsub installed for vdub say yes and install to the vdub folder. You will also need to convert the scripts to an easily loadable format if your using subtitle workshop. There are script converters for ssa to change subtitle workshop files to ssa format. Look up www.doom9.org to get those converters. I believe subtitle workshop is srt but i'm not sure cause I never use that format myself. after you have converted to ssa open vdub and load the video, then go to video/filters and load the textsub filter then find the script and load it. Past that you need to read an encoding guide, and this is al asuming you have already ripped the dvds. BTW AVI is a better format over all for size issues making it easier to dl. On doom9's site you'll find dvd rip guides to rip to divx/xvid/whatever.

good luck =)
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 10:55   Link #3
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

You can find decent guides online. Search google for "Infusion fansub guide" "no name losers" since both have guides, the former being more complete, the latter more detailed. For programs, you should use Sub Station Alpha since I don't know if the other format is supported by textsub or subtitler. You can rip from the dvds with any good program online and since you said you've extracted to mpeg, you can use virtualdub to convert to avi and encode.

For the subs, fire up virtualdub and go to filters, add textsub (you must have downloaded this first), open the .ssa file from sub station alpha (your script), and then add other settings to finally encode the thing. NNL explained this pretty well.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 11:29   Link #4
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

time everything in subtitle workshop -> save subs as
substation alpha [ssa] [and yes, there is NO converstion needed, with sw you can pick what format you want when going to save]

then open up VDUB and load the subtitle filter, select the ssa file you just created. keep selecting ok until you get back to the main window.

Go to video and set it to 'full processing mode'
then go to compression and select how you want to encode it.

Go to audio, you will most likly just want to leave it on 'direct stream copy'

then go to file -> save avi
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 14:52   Link #5
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
Go with the textsub filter in vdub if you want to do cool effects, though. And I don't know a link for the installation anymore... google for it!
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 15:03   Link #6
Ivyna J. Spyder

Ah, thank you so much everyone. ^_^ This'll help out a lot... Hehe, soon everyone will know the awesome of original Kirby. =D Er, if I can ever get it translated. XD

Edit: Oh, wait, problem XD

Okay, I have VirtualDub, but you're saying something about textsub filters and subtitle filters, and I can't seem to find those in the program... Hm. *goes to download other things*

Last edited by Ivyna J. Spyder; 2004-01-24 at 15:15.
Old 2004-01-24, 15:23   Link #7
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vobsub.html

I believe that is a link to a package that contains textsub, during the install, be sure to select custom install the virtualdub filters.

If that doesn't work, there is at least the subtitler filter, available here:
http://www.virtualdub.org/virtualdub_filters

Enjoy

EDIT: http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar.../divx2vcd.html

link to a guide that you might enjoy, it's encoding to mpeg, but goes through the guide to configure filters and you can change the codec used.
Old 2004-01-24, 16:02   Link #8
Ivyna J. Spyder

Okay, I downloaded all that stuff, I can put subtitle or textsub filters into virtual dub...

Hm, problem is I only seem to be able to see the .ssa subs after I convert the file to .avi... And they dun look right XD The timing's fine, but the fonts and colors are all wrong (it's putting the numbers for the colors in front of each line! ^_^; ) despite the fact I tried doing a style override. O_o

Hm, converting to .avi isn't too hard, but it's too big. XD For some reason it makes the file bigger instead of smaller! *fiddles with the settings*

Thanks for the links and tutorials and stuff, but there's always these probably obvious things they don't cover.
Old 2004-01-24, 17:24   Link #9
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna J. Spyder
Okay, I downloaded all that stuff, I can put subtitle or textsub filters into virtual dub...

Hm, problem is I only seem to be able to see the .ssa subs after I convert the file to .avi... And they dun look right XD The timing's fine, but the fonts and colors are all wrong (it's putting the numbers for the colors in front of each line! ^_^; ) despite the fact I tried doing a style override. O_o

Hm, converting to .avi isn't too hard, but it's too big. XD For some reason it makes the file bigger instead of smaller! *fiddles with the settings*

Thanks for the links and tutorials and stuff, but there's always these probably obvious things they don't cover.
You should look at each sub line in ssa and see if you put the colours as words instead of attributes. Also, for colours and font, define a style instead of doing style override for each. That way, they'll be nice and colourful and still won't have \a6\CE093427 all over the text.

You should be able to preview the subs without converting. Just press play output in vdub and it'll slowly display subs when they arrive.

And the large file size should be because of your encode settings. Use Xvid 2 pass method for optimal useage of space, also lets you control the final size of the file. Other encode info can be found in Tech Support forum.
Old 2004-01-24, 17:27   Link #10
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Um...

Regardless of whether it's available uncut & in the original language, it's still licensed, which makes discussions of subbing it against the rules in this forum... It also means your releases (if any) won't be listed on AnimeSuki, Envirosphere, or most other reputable websites. Sorry to rain on your parade, but perhaps you should pick a truly unclicensed series....
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 17:32   Link #11
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
Um...

Regardless of whether it's available uncut & in the original language, it's still licensed, which makes discussions of subbing it against the rules in this forum... It also means your releases (if any) won't be listed on AnimeSuki, Envirosphere, or most other reputable websites. Sorry to rain on your parade, but perhaps you should pick a truly unclicensed series....
Haha, I didn't know that. Well, it's fine since I don't do licensed stuff, but won't abstain from helping someone else who might be in another country learn the technical aspects of subbing.
Old 2004-01-24, 17:52   Link #12
Ivyna J. Spyder

Hm? But I never said which anime I was doing, it's a secret! Trust me, it isn't licensed. ^_~

Fuu, I messed up something and my computer crashed... None of this stuff makes sense. ^_^; I'm following everything exactly and it's just one big mess. =(

I still can't figure out how to put where the subtitles go, though. ^_^; As in, at what point in the video do I want to have the subs start?

I'll check out some more guides... Grah *kicks the stupid programs*
Old 2004-01-24, 18:00   Link #13
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

I don't recommend using Full Processing Mode in VirtualDub....Seriously it's pretty pathetic.

If you are willing to learn AVISynth you can produce smaller files, include the subtitles, and cut down encoding speed.

Here's why..

With Full Processing Mode you are cutting down on image quality by converting the color the format to RGB (it usually is the much better, YV12) The loss is usually not too noticable but some detail IS lost...Also, RGB is the hardest format to compress meaning you have to sacrifice some video quality to get the filesize you want...One more thing, RGB is the slowest format to use and requires more decompression, and more encoding time!

In short, use AVIsynth, convert to YV12 if you need to and you'll STILL not take as long to encode a video as you need to with Full Processing Mode.
dbzgundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 18:08   Link #14
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Quote:
I still can't figure out how to put where the subtitles go, though. ^_^; As in, at what point in the video do I want to have the subs start?
If u have timed the subs, they start when they were set to start...

Here's a small and simple guide, on how to put the subs on the video(, made with pictures!), dunno if it'll help u with anything tho... :
http://koti.mbnet.fi/robot/subbing
the comments on the pics are in Finnish, ask if they need to be Translated...

Edit. URL change...

Last edited by TaMz; 2004-01-25 at 05:12.
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 01:06   Link #15
Ivyna J. Spyder

That link doesn't work. ^_^;

I don't want to be annoying here, but this is sorta my 'last resort'. XD Stupid FAQs never make sense to me...

Okay, I've tried using Virtualdub to convert some small mpegs to avi... Except the avi files are HUGE and crash my computer when I try to open them. O_o Why are there no guides to the best way to convert stuff? The settings?

I'm checking out that AviSynth thing, but that looks even more complicated. ^_^; Grah... I'll give it a shot though.

Also with Virtual dub, I sort of got the subs to work, but they removed all the styles I had set in .ssa, and when I changed the styles in Virtualdub, it fixed the color but they were extremely tiny no matter what size I set. O_o

I knew this wasn't gonna be easy but egads! I'm going to kill something if it gets any more complicated! O_o
Old 2004-01-25, 02:34   Link #16
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Hehe, soon everyone will know the awesome of original Kirby.
Quote:
Hm? But I never said which anime I was doing, it's a secret! Trust me, it isn't licensed. ^_~
Friendly reminder: When you edit your posts to change what you had originally said, make sure you edit all the relevant posts. ;)
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 05:11   Link #17
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Quote:
That link doesn't work. ^_^;
Now it does..
I uploaded the tut to another site:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/robot/subbing
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 08:18   Link #18
K_R
also known as K!

There's another thread somewhere here where I posted links for the relevant avs filters. Then just make a filename.avs with whatever scripting things. Here's a sample avs, to help you understand avs scripting:
LoadPlugin("E:\applications\video\YV12-filters\vsfilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("E:\applications\video\YV12-filters\dup.dll")
LoadPlugin("E:\applications\video\YV12-filters\undot.dll")
LoadPlugin("E:\applications\video\YV12-filters\_2DCleanYUY2_for_25.dll")

avisource("GUNSLINGER GIRL 第09話 「彼岸花 - Lycoris radiata Herb -」.avi").killaudio()

UnDot()
_2DCleanYUY2(thresholdY=3, radiusX=1, radiusY=1)
Dup(threshold=.4,show=false,maxcopies=20,copy=true ,blend=true,chroma=true)

textsub("09\gsg09ep.ssa")
textsub("09\gsg09op.ssa")
textsub("09\gsg09ed.ssa")
textsub("09\gsg09cr.ssa")
I also posted in that other thread how to use xvid1b.
K_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-25, 17:45   Link #19
Ivyna J. Spyder

Thanks for more help ^_^ Hm, that pic tutorial's nice but... it still won't work XD Now the file's just corrupted.

I'll look into the AviSynth, but I think I almost have this Virtualdub thing figured out, so I'll have to see...

Okay, here's what I'm doing. I've realized that before I can ever get subs to work I have to get the converting part. O_o

I have an .mpeg file that I wanna convert to an .avi... I just cut a small part out in VB for the sake of time to test it. I set everything up, compression to DivX, Multipass 1-st pass (whatever that means) and no filters even, I save it to .avi... The file size is smaller but the file is either a garbled mess when I view it or it outright crashes my computer. O_o Gah.

There was ~one~ file that at least had subs on it (though a bit weird looking) but then it starting crashing my computer so I had to delete it.

And now when I do it, I have sound, but no picture. O_o

Yes, it is somehow doing this with all the same settings for each one. I don't know if it's a problem with my computer or just some higher power hates me and doesn't want me to do this. *shakes fist*

Does this make ~any~ sense? O_o Is it just me or is it supposed to be this hair-tearingly frustrating?
Old 2004-01-25, 18:16   Link #20
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Thanks for more help ^_^ Hm, that pic tutorial's nice but... it still won't work XD Now the file's just corrupted.

I'll look into the AviSynth, but I think I almost have this Virtualdub thing figured out, so I'll have to see...

Okay, here's what I'm doing. I've realized that before I can ever get subs to work I have to get the converting part. O_o

I have an .mpeg file that I wanna convert to an .avi... I just cut a small part out in VB for the sake of time to test it. I set everything up, compression to DivX, Multipass 1-st pass (whatever that means) and no filters even, I save it to .avi... The file size is smaller but the file is either a garbled mess when I view it or it outright crashes my computer. O_o Gah.

There was ~one~ file that at least had subs on it (though a bit weird looking) but then it starting crashing my computer so I had to delete it.

And now when I do it, I have sound, but no picture. O_o

Yes, it is somehow doing this with all the same settings for each one. I don't know if it's a problem with my computer or just some higher power hates me and doesn't want me to do this. *shakes fist*

Does this make ~any~ sense? O_o Is it just me or is it supposed to be this hair-tearingly frustrating?
Reminds me of my first few attempts at encoding... Don't worry, as you gain experience, the process will be streamlined and mostly automated (cept for deciding which filters to use). When using virtualdub (forget avisynth for now, it's more difficult to learn and at this stage not worth the quality improvement), set the video to full processing mode and audio to full processing mode. Then choose the desired compression for each. Remember, if you're using xvid/divx multipass, you need to pass 1st pass and then 2nd. If you try running the video after only teh first pass, you'll likely find black screen or no content.

Are you sure the bittrate is set correctly for the file. If it's too low, it'll come out a small file but hardly any video quality. Previously, you might have selected uncompressed avi in the compression window and produced a large file.