AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-08-16, 09:07   Link #581
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Understood. That means in the end, skill still matters more than level.

According to my calculations, 2 years less 1/3 for sleep and 1/3 for attending to other business * 1000, that's endlessly grinding for 800 ingame months.

And you thought Korean MMOs were insane Grindy McGrindersons.
IIRC, you can sleep in the Accel World, and get the benefits of resting. It's something Haruyuki did while learning IS. So normal sleep hours would be just one long stretch of time where you can dive into the unlimited field uninterrupted.
Old 2013-08-16, 09:51   Link #582
Sunder the Gold

The ability to "sleep" for six or seven hours in the real world and experience a year of game play in the Accelerated World doesn't change the fact that you are personally, subjectively spending hundreds of years trying to reach Level 9.

And it's not as simple as investing the time, either. Otherwise there would have been more than seven Level 9 players before everyone knew about the Sudden Death rule.

Four of those seven also had the help of a Holy Arc, mightiest weapons in the game. And all of them had the support of a major legion and the safety of such a legion's territory.
Old 2013-08-16, 12:06   Link #583
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
The ability to "sleep" for six or seven hours in the real world and experience a year of game play in the Accelerated World doesn't change the fact that you are personally, subjectively spending hundreds of years trying to reach Level 9.
I'm just pointing out that by excluding time for real world sleep, he's underestimating the possible time involved.
Old 2013-08-16, 13:45   Link #584
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I'm just pointing out that by excluding time for real world sleep, he's underestimating the possible time involved.
Ah, I see.
Old 2013-08-17, 06:34   Link #585
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

If anything, you must know that the human brain before BB has never had to process more than 120years of information. Suddenly having children living for thousands of years... will have consequences.

/shameless fic plug
Old 2013-08-17, 11:38   Link #586
Sunder the Gold

Kuroyukihime only seems broken up about her falling out with her Parent and her legionaires.

She might have become so distanced from her actual, biological parents and any friends she might have originally had at school, because of the dozens of subjective years she was spending apart from them.

The only relationships that would continue to matter to her would be other Burst Linkers who also live within that Accelerated World. Again, her Parent, legionaires, and rivals.

She (or Takumu) warned Haruyuki about that danger in spending too much time in the Unlimited Neutral Field, but it honestly doesn't look like that issue would matter to him.

He already doesn't have a relationship with his biological mother, and all of his friends are Burst Linkers.

Though it would still be awkward to forget the names of his teachers, neighbors, and Chiyuri's parents. Not to mention his homework, the subjects covered in class last week, and other real-world events.
Old 2013-08-28, 07:15   Link #587
Optimura
Teal Vanguard

The other day while re-watching the Accel World anime something hit me.

What if mooks in the Accelerated World were guys who could not face their own adversity and as a result never managed to unlock the potential hidden in their Duel Avatars?

I mean, Chrome Falcon himself said he had nothing amazing, and his only ability was being Saffron Blossom's human wall. Similarly, Dusk Taker had a very rough time until he managed to spend his Level Up Bonus on <<Demonic Commandeer>>, so it makes one wonder how many Duel Avatars are in this situation.

In that case, it's not that Silver Crow or people like Sky Raker, Manganese Blade, Iron Pound, etc. are significantly stronger numerically, but just that the others didn't manage to catch up and unlock their own ability. After all, potential simply means that it *can* be done, not that it *is* done. Quite possibly those Burst Linkers that Silver Crow and the other guys kick around like it's nothing could be something far, far stronger... If they had the chance to.
Old 2013-08-29, 09:47   Link #588
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimura View Post
The other day while re-watching the Accel World anime something hit me.

What if mooks in the Accelerated World were guys who could not face their own adversity and as a result never managed to unlock the potential hidden in their Duel Avatars?

I mean, Chrome Falcon himself said he had nothing amazing, and his only ability was being Saffron Blossom's human wall. Similarly, Dusk Taker had a very rough time until he managed to spend his Level Up Bonus on <<Demonic Commandeer>>, so it makes one wonder how many Duel Avatars are in this situation.

In that case, it's not that Silver Crow or people like Sky Raker, Manganese Blade, Iron Pound, etc. are significantly stronger numerically, but just that the others didn't manage to catch up and unlock their own ability. After all, potential simply means that it *can* be done, not that it *is* done. Quite possibly those Burst Linkers that Silver Crow and the other guys kick around like it's nothing could be something far, far stronger... If they had the chance to.
That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. It's all well and good to go on about how Crow without his wings would royally suck, but that's because most of his potential is placed in his wings. Not tapping the potential does not mean the potential does not exist. Similarly level 1 characters that don't measure up to Silver Crow at level 1 (i.e. seem to have no special traits or great abilities) are likely just failing to tap their full potential.
Old 2013-08-30, 13:35   Link #589
Sunder the Gold

Except Chiyuri didn't have to face any personal crisis -- she started with her Choir Chime equipped and Citron Call in her moves list.

This theory also doesn't explain what happened to Dusk Taker or Chrome Falcon's level up bonus choices before Demonic Commandeer or Flash Blink became available.

If Dusk Taker had offered Noumi nothing but the choice of improving his avatar's basic abilities (armor, claws, muscles) he would have taken those and made his avatar a superior hand-to-hand combatant compared to Silver Crow, who was one level lower and had spent all bonuses on his wings.

Yet, the higher-leveled Taker avatar was canonically an INFERIOR brawler compared to Crow. Noumi admitted that, before he found an opportunity to turn the fight around, he was considering using his Incarnation Technique to win.

This inferiority wasn't a matter of player skill; in the Light Novels, Haruyuki notes that Noumi is surprisingly good at fighting (especially fighting smart, using his surroundings) for someone who tries to "win" with as little fighting as possible.

So even if SOME avatars have hidden abilities, others clearly do not. Takumu makes no mention of facing a similar problem nor expresses any surprise that Lime Bell is already fully equipped.

But that possibility doesn't explain AT ALL what happens to those level up bonuses that other players should be getting.

Again: Even without Aviation available, Silver Crow could chosen his other three options, two of which were special attacks. So why would Dusk Taker or Chrome Falcon have lacked for special attacks or passive upgrades until Level 4 or 5?
Old 2013-08-30, 15:38   Link #590
Optimura
Teal Vanguard

Eh. Dusk Taker and Chrome Falcon were only stand ins for a single intended purpose, so I can understand that some mistakes are bound to happen here and there.

(On a side note, I don't think there's an option to improve your DA's base form. You either use EAs, learn a skill, or use Special Moves for that.)

As for Takumu and Chiyuri, it would seem they are both Enhanced Armament users. As their respective abilities are already a part of their equipment, it would be weird if a gun didn't fire or something like that.

However, I get a whole different feeling from the two options. Silver Crow's wings, an ability born from his heart, carries 'hope', yet both the Pile Driver and the Choir Chime are equipment based on past experiences. I wouldn't say that Aviation is stronger numerically, but in terms of affinity with the Incarnate System it's far higher than Cyan Pile's weapon that consistently reminds him of his old wound, while his true desire is to be a swordsman, or Chiyuri's Citron Call that is based on her difficulty to face the future as it comes. Perhaps in exchange for a harsher trial, you obtain an ability that's more personal?
Old 2013-08-31, 00:49   Link #591
HasuMasu
*Artist

I think you can improve you Duel Avatar's attributes, since one of Silver Crow's options was thicker armour.
Old 2013-08-31, 01:35   Link #592
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

'Hard Armour', an Enhanced Armament that stacks additional defensive strength on top of the properties of Silver.

It's not known if direct modification of your avatar without Incarnation is possible.
Old 2013-09-01, 15:04   Link #593
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
'Hard Armour', an Enhanced Armament that stacks additional defensive strength on top of the properties of Silver.

It's not known if direct modification of your avatar without Incarnation is possible.
Black Lotus directly modified her sword-limbs in two different, powerful, passive ways which require no Special Gauge at all. It's how she can cut through indestructible objects and how her blades always behave as those she were striking with her full strength, even when her limb is completely still.

If bonus upgrades could make Lotus' blades cut better, then Dusk Taker's claws could be made to pierce better with any of the two or three bonuses he recieved before he got Demonic Commandeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimura View Post
Eh. Dusk Taker and Chrome Falcon were only stand ins for a single intended purpose, so I can understand that some mistakes are bound to happen here and there.
Except Magenta Scissors claims that this sort of bullshit is common, hence her alleged motivation to use the ISS Kit to even the odds for those whose avatars have nothing to show.

Between her and Kuroyukihime, now I don't know who to believe or what the hell the author is saying.

Quote:
As for Takumu and Chiyuri, it would seem they are both Enhanced Armament users. As their respective abilities are already a part of their equipment, it would be weird if a gun didn't fire or something like that.
It's not so weird if neither of them started with their weapons at all.

(After all, Silver Crow can extend his wings without any Special Gauge, and use them to glide. Being able to glide from high places is a great advantage, on par with having a melee weapon.)

A Cyan Pile without the Pile Driver or a Lime Bell without the Choir Chime would be just as screwed as Silver Crow without his wings. Just like Silver Crow, they'd still have some ability to fight, but it would be poor indeed.

Quote:
However, I get a whole different feeling from the two options. Silver Crow's wings, an ability born from his heart, carries 'hope', yet both the Pile Driver and the Choir Chime are equipment based on past experiences. I wouldn't say that Aviation is stronger numerically, but in terms of affinity with the Incarnate System it's far higher than Cyan Pile's weapon that consistently reminds him of his old wound, while his true desire is to be a swordsman, or Chiyuri's Citron Call that is based on her difficulty to face the future as it comes. Perhaps in exchange for a harsher trial, you obtain an ability that's more personal?
You might need to explain this idea more clearly.
Old 2013-09-01, 16:18   Link #594
Optimura
Teal Vanguard

Now that I'm a bit more awake the whole idea seems... a bit ridiculous.

I think that my point was that perhaps Duel Avatars with Enhanced Armaments tend to often be more fixated in their past, while those who unlock abilities wind up with skills that have a more positive feeling to it. But looking at it, I don't think there's much of a basis, so I'll back down on that one.
Old 2013-10-26, 18:58   Link #595
Sunder the Gold

Some years ago, I played the MMORPG called City of Villains, and I enjoyed playing Brute-class characters. They easily correspond to Accel World's Blue-type avatars.

Brutes had a mechanic called Fury, whereby hitting things and being hit would increase their Fury meter, which would passively buff the strength of their attacks.

It occurred to me that a Blue-type avatar in Accel World might have a similar passive ability, keyed to their Special Meter. The player of such an avatar would thus want to balance using his Special Meter on Special Abilities against keeping his Special Meter as full as possible for the maximum strength-buff.

But it also occured to me that there could be a Limited Activation ability like Aviation, whereby a player can spend small amounts of his Special Meter in return for an even greater strength boost.

So I sat down to write out all of the various abilities I could imagine a Blue avatar might have, for increasing pure physical strength.

I must explain the terms I use first, to avoid confusion:

Spoiler for terms:

BLUE Super Strength Brute/Berserker Abilities!

Spoiler:

The possibility of having all or most of these abilities in a single avatar is why high-level Burst Linkers are so fearsome. Just look at Black Lotus and Scarlet Rain.

A variation on all of the above is to externalize the abilities into a weapon. For example, a sword which became sharper or which swung faster and harder the more damaged you are or the fuller your Special Gauge is.

This is generally how Red avatars would get such abilities, if at all. Rather than intrinsic muscle-power, they would experience an increase in their weapon's fire-power, along with an appropriate increase in projectile range and properties like armor-penetration.

Of course, I find I’m always asking the question, “If this guy has that, could that guy have it as well?” So I pondered if these basic concepts could be applied to other Colors.

The answer was, “Yes, they certainly can be adapted.”

The first example I considered was a Green avatar whom, instead of increasing his muscle power, would increase the toughness of his armor. The names of the abilities would changed to things like Harden, Shell, Invulnerability, Shrug, No Sell, Stiffen, Confidence, Boldness, and such. (“Desperation” would keep the name.)

A variation applicable to Blue and Green avatars would be making ALL of these abilities dependent on the Adrenaline Tank. For example, Desperation would reduce the recharge time of Adrenaline Tank according to how much damage you’ve taken, and/or increase the size of the tank by the same proportions. Fury would increase the size of the tank and/or reduce the recharge time as your Special Meter grows fuller.

This is especially appropriate for a Green avatar whose toughness doesn’t result from magically-hardening armor, but rather a battery-powered force-field or energy shield.
Old 2013-10-27, 03:57   Link #596
HasuMasu
*Artist

The <<Fluctlight>> of someone who would awaken that kind of avatar would really be something...

Now you made me remember some troublesome Yellow and/or Orange mechanics I thought of some time ago.

Basically: <<Damage Over Time>>.

One activation is one stack.

Each stack lasts for a certain ammount of time while constantly dealing damage.

Succeeding stacks could either stack damage or renew the timer.
Old 2013-11-20, 04:32   Link #597
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Please tell what you're good at: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=123033
Old 2014-01-18, 04:18   Link #598
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

A crossover of the strongest in Accel World against the strongest in the Underworld.

Without their respective MCs, perhaps there's finally time for the side characters to shine. Out your request in the review!
Old 2014-01-25, 04:16   Link #599
HasuMasu
*Artist

Just the other day I was thinking about how <<Underworld>> was like the <<All-Stars>>.

Too bad Eugeo isn't there. I actually think he's strongest.
Old 2014-02-03, 20:41   Link #600
Rozmdan
Nameless

I didn't read through every page, but it appears this seems to be the place for creating your own avatar. So here's my shot at it.

Name: Azure Templar
Color: Azure (kinda looks like sky blue on a clear sunny day)
Legion: No longer apart of one
Focus: Close combat, Durable
Level: 7

Level up Bonus Distribution: instead of a concentrated focus like scarlet rain and a few others, my distribution was spread out creating more of a jack of trades type instead of sole focus type.

Appearance: (mostly references)
- Slightly shorter then Cyan Pile in height and stockiness
- A Japanese straw hat covers the head and half the face, the shadow of the hat covers the rest of the face.
- Only visible part of the face is the eyes which shines a bluish tint.
- Armor is about medium to allow some mobility but enough to still match the "blue" type.
- Shoulder guards resemble samurai shoulder pads
- Body type resembles a humanoid figure
- Leggings appear like a martial artists pants, but hold the durability expected of a blue.
- A short grayish cloak (length reaches just a few inches past the waist line)

Enhanced Armament: Double Glaive (a spear with a blade on each end)

Abilities:
- A short distance dash and slash, finish the dash 2 meters behind the target facing away. (was thinking a 5-10 meter for the dash)

Still thinking of other abilities

That's about all I've got at the moment, feel free to critique.

Tags
discussion, fanfiction