AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-10, 17:13   Link #1
tetsuo
In Classic Form

Angry Whats UP with MKV files!?!

I've seen a couple fansub groups using MKV files. The first time i saw this i didn't think anything of it. Then I tried to play one and I couldn't. Yeah i heard that its good to use when you wanna save space. But what the heck i'm I supposed to use to watch the anime?! What kinda player am I supposed to use to Check these things out?
Old 2006-04-10, 17:22   Link #2
Tommy Feb6
Lonely in Gorgeous, Yeah~

You can use any player you want.
Old 2006-04-10, 17:40   Link #3
raiZarharva
what was it i put here?

I use Media Player Classic for mkv files or zoom player but yeah about every media player can play mkv if you got the right codec/pack
Old 2006-04-10, 17:49   Link #4
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

And what's the deal with airline food!

Serious answer; go check the Asuki playback guide, or click my sig for CCCPage. Then you shall be wise and content as you play MKV happily.

Last edited by Eeknay; 2006-04-10 at 18:19.
Old 2006-04-10, 19:02   Link #5
raiZarharva
what was it i put here?

Okay now that this point is solved...I really don't get the point of this thread. Playbackhelp is basically what this falls under.
Old 2006-04-10, 20:18   Link #6
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Or just read the nice WTF is MKV thread?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-04-11, 01:09   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo
I've seen a couple fansub groups using MKV files. The first time i saw this i didn't think anything of it. Then I tried to play one and I couldn't. Yeah i heard that its good to use when you wanna save space. But what the heck i'm I supposed to use to watch the anime?! What kinda player am I supposed to use to Check these things out?
Someone actually clicked the "Report Bad Post" button on this:
Quote:
This is the reason that the user gave:

Seriously, this should be a bannable offense.
After I got done laughing, and I laughed for a long time, I finally decided not to ban you for failing to read anything on our forum about mkv before posting this. I'd just like to point out that we already have tons of threads about playing mkv. I'm sure that the couple of posts above this one gave you the help you needed.

BTW, contrary to what you believe, it does not save any space at all. Perhaps you are thinking that h264 can make a file smaller and it is frequently put into an mkv container, but that isn't exactly the same thing since sometimes XviD (etc) is also put into an mkv container.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-04-11, 09:56   Link #8
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Btw to stay on bannable offences topic... Shouldnt your tag "Bend over and say Ah"
be bannable?

However I doubt a MOD would ban themselves
Old 2006-04-12, 14:43   Link #9
Durante

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
BTW, contrary to what you believe, it does not save any space at all.
That's technically untrue. Put the exact same audio and video in an .avi and a .mkv container, and the latter will be smaller. Not by any amount that really matters, but I couldn't let that statement stand as it was
Old 2006-04-12, 22:42   Link #10
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
However I doubt a MOD would ban themselves
In vB it won't make much of a difference for an admin, since all that banning does is bounce you from the forums, and not AdminCP.

Of course, if a mod were to ban themselves, then the ban supercedes mod permissions and yeah, they're unlucky...

The concept is intriguing...
Old 2006-04-13, 00:22   Link #11
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Perhaps a little experiment is in order?

However, I fear for the stability of the space time continum.

Shields to Full!

P.S. I've been watching a bit of Star Trek: Next Generation lately so yea...
Old 2006-04-13, 06:47   Link #12
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Perhaps a little experiment is in order?

However, I fear for the stability of the space time continum.

Shields to Full!

P.S. I've been watching a bit of Star Trek: Next Generation lately so yea...
If a mod baned himself then he would not have moderating powers, therefore he could not ban himself. So then he would not have been banned and would have the power to ban himself, so he could ban himself......
Oh noes...stuck in a infinite loop...
Old 2006-04-13, 11:57   Link #13
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
If a mod baned himself then he would not have moderating powers, therefore he could not ban himself. So then he would not have been banned and would have the power to ban himself, so he could ban himself......
Oh noes...stuck in a infinite loop...
Well, we're badly off-topic now, but a supermod can ban himself with his moderating powers. This means he no longer has posting privleges, and it means he is also no longer a supermod, because the "banned" usergroup is a primary usergroup and replaces supermod. It also does not inherit permissions.

Now, an admin who bans himself is also in the same boat, unless he is a superadmin (something that is assigned to user #1 by default, in this case GHDpro). Superadmins automatically, as I recall, get all permissions. Even changing their usergroup should not prevent them from accessing the adminCP and changing it back... possibly uttering "make it so!" when they do this.

There is, unfortunately, no time paradox in any of these situations.
Old 2006-04-13, 17:38   Link #14
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
Well, we're badly off-topic now, but a supermod can ban himself with his moderating powers. This means he no longer has posting privleges, and it means he is also no longer a supermod, because the "banned" usergroup is a primary usergroup and replaces supermod. It also does not inherit permissions.
Oooooooooh! I am awed by your logic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
Now, an admin who bans himself is also in the same boat, unless he is a superadmin (something that is assigned to user #1 by default, in this case GHDpro). Superadmins automatically, as I recall, get all permissions. Even changing their usergroup should not prevent them from accessing the adminCP and changing it back... possibly uttering "make it so!" when they do this.

There is, unfortunately, no time paradox in any of these situations.
What if I retroactively ban myself so that I was always banned? Then there would be a time paradox because I would not have had the access to ban myself in the first place. In order to do this, all I need is a really huge rotating cylinder and no fear of global casualty violation.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-04-13, 23:57   Link #15
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
What if I retroactively ban myself so that I was always banned? Then there would be a time paradox because I would not have had the access to ban myself in the first place. In order to do this, all I need is a really huge rotating cylinder and no fear of global casualty violation.
Well, in this case I would fear a devious, small, old sweeper coming to talk to you about casualty violations more than I'd fear the time paradox itself.

...do you believe in miracles?
Old 2006-04-18, 13:30   Link #16
SilentBob
I like corm

I had trouble with .MKV-files up until the point where I installed the CCCP codec package. After that all my problems were solved.
Old 2006-04-22, 06:27   Link #17
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:

Please don't end the universe. You already are power hungry enough as it is without you holding it ransom.
Old 2006-04-22, 06:33   Link #18
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:

Actually, recent developements in something called "Loop Quantum Gravity" have come up with a consistent, causal description of dynamic space-time called "spin networks", In this picture, although you may have always been banned in this causal thread, that is not actually impossible since the person who banned you was actually someone from an _interesecting_ causal thread in which you decided NOT to ban yourself retroactively.

In fact, if we are to believe in the multiverse scenerio of hyper-inflation, YOU ARE banned for life, at least in some universe. But as we all know that would lead to the destruction of humanity, and by anthropic principles such a universe could not be observed.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-04-22, 23:56   Link #19
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I like how this topic about not knowing how to play .mkv files quickly turned into a discussion of philosophy, quantum physics, and exploring the nature of reality.
Old 2006-04-23, 00:22   Link #20
Kurz

You can thank me.
However certain people havent been too forgiving.

Quark so what you saying is that the different Universes can influence each other?
*Thats my interpetation of it, Correct me if I am wrong*