AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-16, 00:50   Link #1
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Thumbs up There Will Be Blood [Movie]

So I happened to watch this grand film over the weekend, and I am interested in everyone's opinion on the movie (for those who have viewed it).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...estictrailer1/

There Will Be Blood is centered around the story of the Californian Oil Industry, but it delves into deep topics, mainly dark ones. There is no nudity, it's rated R because of certain gruesome scenes.

I personally thought that this was the best film of 2007 easily, it's even above No Country For Old Men, which I originally considered the best movie of the year. This movie quickly became a top ten favorite of mine. The last line of the movie was just so great as well .

Daniel Day Lewis's acting in this film was goddamn good.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2008-01-16 at 01:14.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 22:26   Link #2
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Better than No Country For Old Men? I'll believe it when I see it.

Nonetheless, I've been intrigued by the film for a while, but your glowing acclaim has just put it on my "must-see" list. Pity it doesn't come out here til February.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 03:08   Link #3
Samari
World's Greatest

I want to see both movies. I think I'll go see them tomorrow. Both look off the chain. Then I can come back here and converse about it.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 22:25   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I forgot to mention that There Will Be Blood is a slow movie, not quite your action paced Bourne movie. If you don't mind that I'm sure all you guys will like it.
Old 2008-02-14, 20:39   Link #5
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Bumping an old thread no one was really interested in anyway!

I saw this last night. Brilliant, but I wouldn't put it above No Country For Old Men (or even Atonement for that matter). No Country For Old Men was just such a well made piece of cinema, and it was almost delicious in the way in which it reveled in the sinister forces (both human and divine) that drove the story. This was more a character study, a fascinating one which had so many aspects to it, but it lacked a certain impact that No Country For Old Men had. It's hard to explain. Both films demanded so much reflection and thought about them after you finished watching them, but No Country For Old Men really shook me to the core. My reasons for liking Atonement are far more superficial, since it wasn't anywhere near as deep as either of the other two films, but it had brilliant cinematography and powerful drama. I think the only reason for me putting it above There Will Be Blood is, again, just a matter of how personal impact.

Mark my word, though, Daniel Day Lewis will walk away with the Oscar. His performance was incredible. He just loses himself in the character. And what an incredible character it was.
Spoiler:

And yes, the ending was just delicious. I read a review about it which forwarded an interesting observation about the symbolism of that scene, ie
Spoiler:

Brilliant film, though. I'd have no complaints about it winning the Oscar, even though I'd personally prefer No Country For Old Man to take the gong. Both films demand a second viewing, though, which is what I'll be doing when the DVDs come out.
Old 2008-02-15, 01:04   Link #6
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

I'm glad to see so many good reviews about this movie. The fact that No Country For Old Men (my favorite film of the Oscar year thus far) is able to be mentioned in the same breath as this film, gives it great credit, in my mind. I'll have to make sure to put this at the top of my "to see" list now.
Old 2008-02-15, 01:58   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think I read somewhere that Daniel Day Lewis would not respond to anyone during the filming of this movie unless they called him Daniel Plainview .

@Sorrow_K

It seems that I didn't really feel the hit from No Country for Old Men like you did. It wasn't like I didn't understand the point of the movie, the whole ending scene was about death and other topics, but I'll admit that is was quite entertaining.

I on the contrary was hit by this movie. It's rare to be afraid of what a character will do, even when he isn't killing people. It was just so dark and foreboding. I really felt though that the character of Daniel Plainview actually loved his son despite certain events at the end. He just became so twisted with no one to trust or rely on that he eventually saw anything small as a direct attack on him.

Anyhow, I don't mind if There Will Be Blood loses to No Country for Old Men, but that's the only other movie I thought could compete with it. I'll definitely lose any faith in the Oscars though if Juno beats them
Old 2008-02-15, 04:07   Link #8
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I haven't seen Juno yet, but people whose opinions I respect say that I should see it, so it's on my to-see list.

As far as Oscars are concerned, any three out of No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood or Atonement are worthy winners, IMO, and would probably be winners in most other years. It's been a pretty damn good year for film, IMO. Picking a best one for me was like splitting hairs.

I agree, Plainview loved his son...
Spoiler:

Incredible film. More people need to see both it and No Country For Old Men, IMO.
Old 2008-02-15, 18:36   Link #9
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Incredible film. More people need to see both it and No Country For Old Men, IMO.
I agree, but it seems that most of America would rather watch something like Wild Hogs or some other shitty film like Cloverfield. It saddens me...