AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-04, 16:42   Link #221
Lukannon

I find myself agreeing with those who say that Haruki isn't unique enough if we simply paste Haruhi's original personality onto a male character. That's what made Haruhi such an engaging character originally, to have such an unorthodox personality for a heroine. I'm not saying that abandoning the original character is also good, but I keep feeling like this is becoming just a big pile of moe revolving around Kyonko, and I'm not really sure that I like it.

Don't get me wrong, I fap to love Kyonko and Itsuko, and I think it'd still be interesting if Haruhi, Yuki, and Mikuru were males(well, apply that to ANYONE, really, slut!Taniguchi makes me happy), but when I think of the original, I can't help but think 'how disappointing...this is as far as it can go?'

The way I see it, as it is, it's essentially Ouran with aliens. Obviously, there are major differences in character, but you get what I mean, right?

Well, regardless, I do like the idea, I'm just a little sad that as of now, it's not better than it is.

I'll probably write my own version for kicks, compare it to yours later and see what differences there are.
Lukannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 16:44   Link #222
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukannon View Post
I find myself agreeing with those who say that Haruki isn't unique enough if we simply paste Haruhi's original personality onto a male character. That's what made Haruhi such an engaging character originally, to have such an unorthodox personality for a heroine. I'm not saying that abandoning the original character is also good, but I keep feeling like this is becoming just a big pile of moe revolving around Kyonko, and I'm not really sure that I like it.

Don't get me wrong, I fap to love Kyonko and Itsuko, and I think it'd still be interesting if Haruhi, Yuki, and Mikuru were males(well, apply that to ANYONE, really, slut!Taniguchi makes me happy), but when I think of the original, I can't help but think 'how disappointing...this is as far as it can go?'

The way I see it, as it is, it's essentially Ouran with aliens. Obviously, there are major differences in character, but you get what I mean, right?

Well, regardless, I do like the idea, I'm just a little sad that as of now, it's not better than it is.

I'll probably write my own version for kicks, compare it to yours later and see what differences there are.
I've envisioned it as Ouran with aliens from the start, really...

We're not really pasting Haruhi's personality onto Haruki... we're pasting Kamina's personality onto Haruki. (With a side order of Tamaki and a slight sprinking of Kenji Harima.)
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 16:55   Link #223
Lukannon

True enough, although I can't help but feel they're actually very similar at first glance.
Lukannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 16:55   Link #224
SeroganeX

Send a message via AIM to SeroganeX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikimtasu View Post
Yes you have to sign up for it:
http://moemania.org/uncategorized/ho...n-nicovideojp/
How ever i have the frist one uploaded:
Cool, thanks.
SeroganeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 17:15   Link #225
Ketro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I finished my first draft of the prologue, but I think I made Kyon-ko a bit too feminine with all the shojou references...

Tell me what you guys think.

Spoiler:

Also, RmX, that scene that he's referring to in Vol 2. is the one where Kyon tries to hit Haruhi... somehow we're going to have to change that.

So Im guessing your part of this genderbending project? Oh, and nice prologue, it suits the MoHS version.
Ketro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 17:24   Link #226
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketro View Post
So Im guessing your part of this genderbending project? Oh, and nice prologue, it suits the MoHS version.
Thanks.

Now where's RmX...
Old 2008-03-04, 18:32   Link #227
Tangowr

Old 2008-03-04, 19:03   Link #228
Jaden

Wow, great thread. Somehow genderbending REALLY fits SHnY. In fact, all seems to click into place beautifully when it's bent. I'm going wild imagining it. ^^

As for Asakuro attacking Kyonko...yeah, he's gonna look like such a bastard. But that's fine. For a weapon, definately something bladed. Katana would work, maybe an ornate rapier. Maybe have him accidentally slash away some of Kyonko's clothes to add nosebleeds in the scene that will follow. Other characters needing makeovers...well, most is already processed. I think Shamisen (Sanshin?) will work without a bending. :P

It's getting late. If I go to sleep now I'll be sure to awaken with some kind of insight.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:20   Link #229
fishy_hylian
I'm ga-vomiting

I'm not one for gender bending - but this project looks like a lot of fun :O It' piques my interest...

The project has certainly caught my artistic interest >.>'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Also... there is one scene in Vol.02 that will lose a lot of its impact due to the gender switch, as the idea of a girl psychically hitting a boy is not as dramatic as a boy beating on a girl.
With that, it was implied Kyon was going to smack Haruhi one.
The only idea I can come up with is that Kyonko actually goes through with punching/slapping Haruki?
fishy_hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:24   Link #230
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Thanks.

Now where's RmX...
Yeah, yeah I'm back. A guy can't take any breaks around here can he?

Quote:
Anybody who posts in this thread is considered a part of the project, whether it be helping to write the story, finding images to boost our creativity, making your own pictures/sketches/vectors, or providing encouragement and support in general.

Quote:
I finished my first draft of the prologue, but I think I made Kyon-ko a bit too feminine with all the shojou references...

Tell me what you guys think.

Spoiler:

Also, RmX, that scene that he's referring to in Vol 2. is the one where Kyon tries to hit Haruhi... somehow we're going to have to change that.
Hmm. On the topic if more shoujo-esque influences, we could modify the sci-fi elements a bit to make it flow a bit better. The only other thing I have is "sailor girls" should be "magical girls".

Otherwise, we're doing good.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:27   Link #231
DannyCat
Currently Observing.

Translation posted of latest 4koma:
DannyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:30   Link #232
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Bwahaha! That's hilariously awkward. "I think it's fine". Can't wait to see more!
Old 2008-03-04, 19:31   Link #233
Ketro

LOLOLOL!

Old 2008-03-04, 19:32   Link #234
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

That reminds me of Konata trying to pander to people with "special needs". And Nagato seems to be one of them.

Old 2008-03-04, 19:35   Link #235
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Hmm. On the topic if more shoujo-esque influences, we could modify the sci-fi elements a bit to make it flow a bit better. The only other thing I have is "sailor girls" should be "magical girls".

Otherwise, we're doing good.
I did the "sailor girls" line on purpose... you can refer to mahou shoujo like that too...

I also simply added some more traditionally feminine things, but due to Kyon-ko being a tsundere, I can imagine her being into "guy stuff" too...

You can change what you want if you see fit, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyCat View Post
Perfect exchange there. That's exactly what I'm going for here.
Old 2008-03-04, 19:38   Link #236
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
I did the "sailor girls" line on purpose... you can refer to mahou shoujo like that too...

I also simply added some more traditionally feminine things, but due to Kyon-ko being a tsundere, I can imagine her being into "guy stuff" too...

You can change what you want if you see fit, too.
I suppose. But I'll have to take a look sometime later. Continue as you will.

Old 2008-03-04, 19:39   Link #237
Ketro

Ok, who's working on this genderbender project, and can I get a website?
Old 2008-03-04, 19:40   Link #238
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Ok, who's working on this genderbender project, and can I get a website?
Several people are working on their own novel translations, myself included. Some random Japanese guy is making doujins.

No official website for this yet, though I COULD make one...
Old 2008-03-04, 19:50   Link #239
Raijinken
Victoria's secret weapon

Amazing writing Kaisos. I liked Kyon-ko's character, of COURSE she's going to look at heroism from every angle. Girls can do that. Back then, we sure couldn't, cause if it was like 'Save me' from a girl, men would be like 'HELL YEAH!'

A guy says 'save me' and the other guys are like 'Oh go save yourself. Pansy.'

Tsundere says she also wants to be on the saving side, I guess. And media would put ideas of that nature in her head, of course. Stupid Sailor Moon... You've inspired the growing up of ass-kicking women but I still hate you so.

And I still think Ryou uses a knife on Kyon-ko, until Yuuki appears to save the day and make the fangirls scream. And maybe a few bi-curious fanboys.

Perhaps he switches to something a little bigger when he realizes he's in for a fight? And Yuuki takes something to match? Sky's the limit. Ryou could make that ornate rapier, and Yuuki could take a katana. Perhaps Ryou could make a lance instead, and Yuuki a battle-axe?

Wish Yuki did that in the origional series, take an axe. Mmmm... Presea...
Raijinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:51   Link #240
Ketro

Quote:
Several people are working on their own novel translations, myself included. Some random Japanese guy is making doujins.

No official website for this yet, though I COULD make one...
That would be a very nice idea Do what you want though (obviously)

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan