AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-05, 17:45   Link #6401
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another
Is it bad if this accurately describes every friend I ever had growing up?
Old 2010-03-05, 23:38   Link #6402
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Another Earthquake strikes again... This time, the Sumatra coast. That makes it 4-5 earthquakes this year alone.

Quote:
Magnitude 6.5 earthquake shakes Indonesian Sumatra
JAKARTA, Indonesia — A magnitude-6.5 undersea earthquake shook the western shore of Indonesia's Sumatra island on Friday, causing panic but no casualties or damage, an official said.
The quake struck late at night 74 miles (119 kilometers) southeast of Pagai Selatan, an island off the western coast of Sumatra, Indonesian Meteorology and Geophysics Agency official Gian Ginanjar said.
The quake struck 6 miles (10 kilometers) beneath the Indian Ocean bed. There was no tsunami potential, he said.
Edi Firmanto, a resident of the Sumatra coastal town of Bengkulu, said people fled their homes and rushed to higher ground.
"I woke up when I heard my wife screaming in panic and got out with our two children and headed up a hill," Firmanto said.
They went home when a village chief announced that the quake had no tsunami potential.
Indonesia rests on a series of fault lines that make the sprawling archipelago nation one of the most earthquake-prone.
Source
Old 2010-03-05, 23:42   Link #6403
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

looks like the ring of fire is acting up.
Old 2010-03-06, 04:28   Link #6404
Seitsuki
Onee!

China slows military spending
thats right, growth is now UNDER 10%! It's only 77 billion now! Feel safe, world!
Old 2010-03-06, 04:32   Link #6405
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
City flood chaos, hail like snow after freak storm

Quote:
HAIL has blanketed Melbourne like snow as a severe thunderstorm ripped through the city, forcing the cancellation of horse racing and sporting events.

Nineteen millimetres of rain bucketed down over the city in less than 18 minutes this afternoon, the weather bureau said.

The huge storm cell, which hit about 2.40pm (AEDT), resulted in a total of 26 millimetres of rain in Melbourne in less an hour, bringing emergency services to a grinding halt as reports of flooding came in from across the city.

"It was a very dangerous thunderstorm," said the bureau's senior forecaster Richard Carlyon.

"We don't often see storm cells like that."

Hail pummelled city streets and brought traffic to a standstill, with some residents reporting hail stones as big as 5cm.

The storm forced the cancellation of the NAB Cup footy game between Brisbane and Geelong.

Flemington's Super Saturday races were also postponed as rain poured down the stairs at the grandstand like a waterfall.

"It was very dark and all of a sudden it was like a hurricane or a howling wind came through," said Josh Bell, who was in the member's grandstand when the storm hit.

"Marble sized hail stones came down for about 10 minutes.

"The track was covered in hail. It was all white. It looked like it had snowed."

The rain continued for about 30 minutes, overpowering the sewerage system and forcing the water down the grandstand's public stairs.

"One of our concerns is there's another one (storm) on the way and at the moment the track's just not up to safe racing," Racing Victoria's chief steward Terry Bailey told Channel 7 after the race was rescheduled to next weekend.

The weather bureau is forecasting further storms to strike the city in the coming hours.

The State Emergency Service has been swamped with calls, primarily from the city's western suburbs.
Yay, finally something interesting for once happens in a city that's so dull that it will make you want to watch paint dry for something to do. Sadly, I was nowhere near the CBD, but I did get some flickering lights during the storm with thunder rumbling everything at home.
Old 2010-03-06, 04:36   Link #6406
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Another Earthquake strikes again... This time, the Sumatra coast. That makes it 4-5 earthquakes this year alone.

Source

I assume earth is just reballancing its weight distribution. Once the weight ballance is offset somewhere the system will likely counteract, which can trigger earthquakes in regions that are close to having an earthquake in the near future anyway (this is more logical than speeding up and reducing the length of a day).

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-03-06 at 04:57.
Old 2010-03-06, 07:08   Link #6407
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Another Earthquake strikes again... This time, the Sumatra coast. That makes it 4-5 noticeable earthquakes near inhabited areas this year alone.

Source
There, corrected for you. Because there are may more everyday.
Old 2010-03-06, 08:39   Link #6408
Joojoobees

This one I can't quite figure: Japan's Princess Aiko stays home for fear of rowdy behavior. While some reports describe this as "fear of bullying", most reports include claims from school officials that there was no bullying, and that the princess is most likely recalling an incident last year when a group of boys were noisy, and threw bags in the hallway. Was she that traumatized back then that she can't go to school now out of fear?

Bullying sucks, but so does living under a microscope, I guess.
Old 2010-03-06, 08:52   Link #6409
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
This one I can't quite figure: Japan's Princess Aiko stays home for fear of rowdy behavior. While some reports describe this as "fear of bullying", most reports include claims from school officials that there was no bullying, and that the princess is most likely recalling an incident last year when a group of boys were noisy, and threw bags in the hallway. Was she that traumatized back then that she can't go to school now out of fear?

She should just go to school and get used to it. It is not like she is not going to be bullied by the imperial household in the future.

Being a victim of school bullying myself, I think there isn't any choice in a academically inclined society to not go to school. It is a pity that not all countries have America's gun laws : Columbines often solve hard pressed problems politicians and irresponsible parents choose to ignore.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-06, 09:00   Link #6410
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Not really. Students are still shooting each other in American schools, hell the faculty are gunning each other down, which means they have yet to bother addressing the issues of proper parenting, which apparently is best left for the HDTV.
Old 2010-03-06, 10:18   Link #6411
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Not really. Students are still shooting each other in American schools, hell the faculty are gunning each other down, which means they have yet to bother addressing the issues of proper parenting, which apparently is best left for the HDTV.
In the faculty shooting incident you mention, parenting might well have played a role, because the woman who did the shooting had earlier shot her own brother to death, and her parents seemingly lied to the police to protect her. I guess when you teach kids that there are no consequences for shooting someone to death, they keep on killing.
Old 2010-03-06, 10:33   Link #6412
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Like I said if the guidance you got in handling civil social arguments came from Bad Boys (I and II) and not from a proper talk with mommy and daddy then clearly something is wrong.
Old 2010-03-06, 10:37   Link #6413
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
She should just go to school and get used to it. It is not like she is not going to be bullied by the imperial household in the future.

Being a victim of school bullying myself, I think there isn't any choice in a academically inclined society to not go to school. It is a pity that not all countries have America's gun laws : Columbines often solve hard pressed problems politicians and irresponsible parents choose to ignore.
Guns are completely outlawed in Japan except for sporting and hunting purposes, and the guns are only limited to single shot weapons (shotguns and rifles). Citizens are also subject to annual exams and quarterly inspections by the police without prior notice for said inspections. That said, I highly doubt Aiko is actually so scared that she'll get shot. Besides, she's still an elementary student. The chances of a kid coming to an elementary school with a gun are next to impossible when citizens are subject to such strict regulations. I don't know of any other country that has such a strict gun control except South Korea. The US is actually quite relaxed when it comes to gun control.
Old 2010-03-06, 11:04   Link #6414
JMvS
Rawrrr!

House Panels condemn as genocide WW1 Armenians deaths.

Turkey protest and recall its ambassador.
Old 2010-03-06, 11:15   Link #6415
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I don't know of any other country that has such a strict gun control except South Korea. The US is actually quite relaxed when it comes to gun control.
I was really impressed when I saw "Stray Dog" (Nora inu). It is a movie about a Japanese cop whose pistol is stolen; the movie follows the attempts to track down the gun so it can't be used by criminals. In America such a plot is almost nonsensical, because if someone wants a gun, they can easily get one. Removing a single gun from the streets couldn't possibly have any effect. It would be like removing one bucket of water from the ocean so no one will get wet when swimming.
Old 2010-03-06, 12:26   Link #6416
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

* All teachers fired at Rhode Island school
Old 2010-03-06, 12:58   Link #6417
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I was really impressed when I saw "Stray Dog" (Nora inu). It is a movie about a Japanese cop whose pistol is stolen; the movie follows the attempts to track down the gun so it can't be used by criminals. In America such a plot is almost nonsensical, because if someone wants a gun, they can easily get one. Removing a single gun from the streets couldn't possibly have any effect. It would be like removing one bucket of water from the ocean so no one will get wet when swimming.
From what I can see, gun rights are fundamental to giving people a chance to solve serious problems themselves, but every now and then there would be a nut who create problems with it.

And the media tends to vilify the general gun-owning population for the crimes of the few, which in turn increases the number of gun ownership and gun crimes rather than reducing it.

There should be a "don't chamber a round/turn off the safety in a fit of rage" campaign. Then again, it might not work.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-06, 13:24   Link #6418
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

So basically the Japanese crown princess is turning into a hikikomori?

I don't buy the school's story there was no bullying though. All to often that kind of thing goes on without schools being aware. Plus, given that it is the crown princess involved, the school would likely be very reluctant to publicly admit to it. After all, if they can't keep the crown princess safe, what chance is there for them keeping any other kids safe?
Old 2010-03-06, 13:35   Link #6419
Lost Cause

Quote:

To Princess Aiko I say "Welcome to the Real World!". Honestly though the outside world is kinda scary to those who are shielded from it! But don't worry, has soon as she hits her teen years her curiosity will bring her out!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Old 2010-03-06, 15:03   Link #6420
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:

Bullying happens... Well, there are always going to be people like that. I have to deal with bullying and harassment until the end of high school and reporting that did not matter much (since the school vice principal wouldn't punish the student I have in question), although NJ does have anti-bullying laws in the state that technically makes bullying illegal.

The best way to fend off bullying is to just make some good friends so that they can help you protect against bullies and not reacting to it and report it to a teacher/parent or a higher authority.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international