AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-06, 08:55   Link #1
james0246

One Piece - Chapter 620 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Chapters already out, so here's a brief spoiler of events.

Quote:
-Various scenes of New Fishmen Pirates enforcing their will on the kingdom. (There's more (a lot more), but this is a brief spoiler since the full chapter is already out.)

-Caribou is seen, plotting to capture Shirahoshi and sell her to the Tenryubito.

-Cut to Jinbei and company discussing the history of the island. Jinbei describes the awful history man has had with fishman. Eventually, two forces arose on the island to combat racism. Queen Otohime, who wished to find peace between man and fishman, and Fisher Tiger, who simply wished to break ties with humanity and lived to free his brethren (yes, Tiger's face is shown; he is a Sea Bream fish).

Last edited by james0246; 2011-04-06 at 09:10.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:11   Link #2
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

oda really knows how to tease. that ending.

IIIIIII WANT TO KNOW!!!

also all those things mentioned in the chapter that refer back to past chapters.
if oda really planned all this from the begenning or is it just nicely fitting into place for him.

can't wait till next week.

Quote:
and Fisher Tiger, who simply wished to break ties with humanity and lived to free his brethren
also i don't agree with this fully. maybe i read a different translation but to me it seems as Tiger just wanted the suffering to end. from all the things that are said about Tiger so far IMO it wasn't about braking the ties rather about seeing his people suffering and wanting that to end.

IMO there is a difference between wanting freedom from suffering and cutting any future with humans.

Last edited by kayote; 2011-04-06 at 09:22.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:21   Link #3
james0246

Sanji was effortlessly cool this chapter.

And the scenes of the New Fishmen Pirates subjugation of others just shows how there is no difference between the NFP and the vile disgusting humans they hate (Nami even points this out later). I didn't care much about the lieutenants before, but now they all need to suffer for their crimes .

That being said, the brief silhouette of Arlong and his gang as young kids was kind of cool.

And, of course, Fisher Tiger's design, while fairly straightforward, sis till pretty damn cool.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:27   Link #4
Aesthetic Shampoo

Haha, Jimbei with hair and the barrel guy with a girl, this is awesome.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:51   Link #5
marvelB

Two words: HELL YES. Fisher Tiger's in da house, bitches.

This was easily my favorite chapter of the arc by far. We got to see Hody's gang causing chaos on the island (at least this explains why they weren't at the palace with their captain), we got to see Fukaboshi kick a little ass (now we've gotta see the other two brothers in action too), and we begin to learn more of MI's history. I'm even looking forward to the mermaid queen's introduction now (I just hope she's not another Nami clone like her daughter).....

Great, great chapter, this. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of the flashback for certain......

Oh, and the ministory's great, too. Gaimon finding love on that island is pretty dang sweet indeed.

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-04-06 at 10:34.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:02   Link #6
Kallen4life

cover page story-wise I MUST know who the new FA and the new 3-rd admiral is (this I want to know the most atm) .. but I guess that will be in the actual manga

awesome chapter, some mention of Hancock is always appreciated by me .. flashback is flashbacky

do hope though Robin'll break out that poneglyph soon
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-04-06, 10:13   Link #7
kakakka

Awesome introduction for a flashback.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:20   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Great chapter. I didn't expect Fisher Tiger to be a sea bream fish. He looks pretty cool (I don't like those lips though). Can't wait to find his and Otohime's backstory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Great, great chapter, this. And sadly, this had to come out on a double issue, which means we have to once again wait another fortnight for the next chapter (not that I'm complaining or anything, since the current chap was so awesome)......
Wait, what? I never heard about a double issue. Golden week isn't here yet. Source?
Old 2011-04-06, 10:26   Link #9
marvelB

I wonder how many of the world nobles we'll see in this flashback. In fact, I recall that I once considered the possibility of there actually being someone decent amongst the royal douches who didn't share the same beliefs as their brethren. If such a character does exist, then I think this flashback would be as good a time as any to introduce them (and no, Sabo wouldn't count since he wasn't a world noble).......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Wait, what? I never heard about a double issue. Golden week isn't here yet. Source?

No, that was actually a mistake on my part, sorry. I misread a few posts at the spoiler thread at AP and thought that this week was a double issue. So yeah, we can expect the next double issue to hit around Golden Week (or around the end of the month, in other words)......

Oh, and I edited my earlier post so no confusing rumors would spread around.

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-04-06 at 10:42.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:29   Link #10
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Hey, Gaimon found a girlfriend. And she's stuck in a wooden container just like he is. xD

This was an awesome chapter though. Oda really got a lot of story out here.

I really like Jinbei's design when he was younger, and it's awesome that we finally got to see Fisher Tiger. Yay younger Arlong! Glad to see him again even if it is a flashback.~

I'm really interested to see the next few chapters.~ =D
Old 2011-04-06, 11:50   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just like everyone else, i can't wait to see the rest of the backstory. Oda is such a tease.

Seeing parts of Nami's backstory again made me ;___;.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:00   Link #12
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

So who is going to kidnap Shirahoshi first, Caribou or VD?
Old 2011-04-06, 12:07   Link #13
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Meh, I found the chapter rather uneventful, there was too much being rehashed that was already known. Good to see Fukaboshi kick some ass though.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:10   Link #14
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
also i don't agree with this fully. maybe i read a different translation but to me it seems as Tiger just wanted the suffering to end. from all the things that are said about Tiger so far IMO it wasn't about braking the ties rather about seeing his people suffering and wanting that to end.

IMO there is a difference between wanting freedom from suffering and cutting any future with humans.
But cutting ties with humanity WOULD also end the suffering... you could say that otohime was being more Idealistic while Fisher Tiger was being more realistic about the situation; given the way the two sides live it would be easier for them to remain isolated from one another than it would to convince them to get along. Jinbei basically said that how Fisher tiger wanted to change things and how Otohime wanted to change things ultimately worked against eachother.

I mean sure Fisher freed human slaves as well, but recall that he ended up making a crew from the fishman slaves not inviting the humans to be part of it aswell. He did not discriminate when it came to slavery, and may not have hated humanity but he may have believed it best for the two races to be separated because it was impossible for every one to get along. We also have to recall that this is the same crew that spawned the likes of Arlong and his crew who had a very strong anti-human feelings; so strong that they in turn inspired the new fishman pirates
Old 2011-04-06, 12:15   Link #15
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Where the hell did barrel lady come from?

I'm sure big momma's forces are eventually going to be called in as reinforcements against hodi & co. Caribou is likely going to serve as more comedic relief for the arc.

Young jinbei's hair is awesome.
Old 2011-04-06, 12:48   Link #16
ZeroForever

interesting chapter, thought they were going to jump right into the flash back but alas he put in status updates on everyone instead.

where did sanji get the giant teacup from though...
Old 2011-04-06, 13:59   Link #17
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
cover page story-wise I MUST know who the new FA and the new 3-rd admiral is (this I want to know the most atm) .. but I guess that will be in the actual manga
Cover page story-wise that might either take a while (possibly after the update with Nojiko and Genzo) or not at all (if this only covers all the allies of the Srtawhat crew). Either way we'll find out eventually.

In other news, the barrel-woman's name is Sarfunkle. Her introduction being with Gaimon is a spoonerism on Simon and Garfunkle. With the main chapter, there may be a reason for Queen Otohime's death: the fishmen disagree with her dreams of being with humans in harmony (especially seeing as she is half human herself). This may be the reason for the war between the fishmen and the mermen going on right now.

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2011-04-06 at 14:58.
Old 2011-04-06, 14:59   Link #18
Homura7

I wonder if there will be 2 flashbacks, because this take place 15 years in the past, and queen Otohime was assassinated 5 years later.
Old 2011-04-06, 16:17   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
I wonder if there will be 2 flashbacks, because this take place 15 years in the past, and queen Otohime was assassinated 5 years later.

I'm pretty sure that this will be a single flashback that skips forward some years as it progresses (a good few of the past flashbacks did this already, including Luffy's recent one). However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being small flashbacks within this flashback (which, again, is something that Oda has done before).

Anyway, it's definitely great to see a younger Jinbei and Arlong (even if the latter was an evil bastard). Arlong Park being modeled after the amusement park at Sabaody was quite an interesting bit of info, as well (and yes, it was quite sad to see Nami relive her nightmarish past once more......). Anyway, I'm sure that we'll be seeing the younger Hody and Decken's crews appear at some point (I'm particularly interested in seeing the younger Decken, mainly because I'm wondering if we'll see his parents (I still sort of have the feeling that he's a half-human, y'see)). And finally, while I'm expecting Newgate to show up in the flashback as well, I think it would be kinda interesting if Big Mom shows up here, too (she doesn't have to be fully revealed, but maybe we could get a more detailed silhouette of her or something. Maybe it'll turn out that she had her eyes set on merman island right before Whitebeard made the place his turf)........
Old 2011-04-06, 16:32   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
No, that was actually a mistake on my part, sorry. I misread a few posts at the spoiler thread at AP and thought that this week was a double issue. So yeah, we can expect the next double issue to hit around Golden Week (or around the end of the month, in other words)......

Oh, and I edited my earlier post so no confusing rumors would spread around.
Phew, you had me scared for a second here. Not that it changes much, I'm sure the cliffhanger before golden week will be just as juicy, if not even more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
So who is going to kidnap Shirahoshi first, Caribou or VD?
Now I have this idea they're going to fight each other... it could be pretty interesting.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion