It's bacon!

Spoiler for episode 4:
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 00:09   Link #202
Deacon_Frost
Necr0 Kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm
No! No! It's 20 episodes too early for them to do that! It would totally ruin the series. We have to see Takeya suffer for a few more months!

Luckily you can always count on Ren-Ren-Ren to mess things up. I am sure she will fail spectacularly in some alien way. Don't get it right, Ren! We count on you!
DearS afaik only runs for 13 episodes.

Anyone know if the Manga run is already done or they are still continuing?
Deacon_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 00:50   Link #203
wireless
Regular Lurker

Spoiler:
wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 01:30   Link #204
ramune

I think it's pretty interesting for Takeya to bring up the topic of love to Ren since even he doesn't feel that way at this point. What if she says yes?

Hmm... only 13 episodes huh? That's too bad. I think it has what it takes to be a 26 episode series.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 03:06   Link #205
Marvel
Demon-Fox Inside©

well, if it's a good story the number of episode's doesn't count
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 03:07   Link #206
Deacon_Frost
Necr0 Kvlt

Nah, it would get old real quick if they extend it to 24-26 episodes. That's what happened with Chobits and some other series in the same context with DearS.

The thing with Takeya being scornful of Aliens or women perhaps will be put into play...gotta love predictable storylines.
Deacon_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 04:22   Link #207
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
I think it's pretty interesting for Takeya to bring up the topic of love to Ren since even he doesn't feel that way at this point. What if she says yes?
He didn't bring it up because he wants her to love him. He brought it up because he thinks it is wrong to have sex if you aren't in love and he wanted to know if that was her reason.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 06:20   Link #208
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Hmm... pure and genuine love... I wonder does it still exist around the world now?? Is true that we always want our 1st time with someone who we can be together to our very last breath, but is just to hard to find one in this world now.
I mean... not much people who are that steady enough to called 'That' kind of temptation off. (Ren actions can pull the trigger of any males you now??) If i were in Takeya state, who knows i might 'snap' and go for it?? Man, gotta respect Takeya for pulling it off... lolz.

btw, in the manga there's a cool looking guy but in the anime he look different... ~_~" too bad is only 13 episodes. Mah~ thats how animation these days, either there'll be a 2nd season or just end there.
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 07:54   Link #209
Itlandm
Porcupine

I am sorry to hear the series is only 13 episodes. The slow motion of the greater plot, and the number of un-used or under-used characters, led me to believe that this was to be a longer series. If Kyou Kara Maou can run to 39 with its rather limited cast, I would have expected at least 26 for this. Maburaho was 24, so there isn't a rule that erotic anime must be short. (In all fairness, Maburaho kinda ran out of fun, as did Momoiro Sisters halfway through.)
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 19:26   Link #210
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Mmmmmmm, Ren

Old 2004-08-13, 02:41   Link #211
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I can't believe how much I like this awful show. It's got so much wrong with it that I normally hate. Way too much fanservice. A girl whose only purpose in life is to serve the guy. It's just wrong.

Yet somehow I keep looking forward to the next show because it is just so much fun and the characters are so likeable. I like Ren and Takeya and Neneko. I like Miu and Nia. I like everyone except for that teacher who seems just a pathetic parody. And of course I like the collars too.

I first watched episode 1 just so that I could talk about how bad this show was and now I'm totally addicted to it. I'm really sad that there are only going to be 13 episodes!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 02:45   Link #212
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well so far Takeya brining up the topic of love is the first respectable action he has done in the series for me... call me old minded, maybe because I'm raised in a pretty "traditional' chinese family, so yup I do believe in that having sex with someone without loving him/her and at least thinking about spending the rest of your life with him/her at that time is absolutely wrong... but then I guess I'm just old fashioned

However all other Takeya's actions are just self-contradction and don't make sense and plain WRONG
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 04:45   Link #213
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well so far Takeya brining up the topic of love is the first respectable action he has done in the series for me... call me old minded, maybe because I'm raised in a pretty "traditional' chinese family, so yup I do believe in that having sex with someone without loving him/her and at least thinking about spending the rest of your life with him/her at that time is absolutely wrong... but then I guess I'm just old fashioned

However all other Takeya's actions are just self-contradction and don't make sense and plain WRONG
Yea, Takeya is really hostile to women in general. He's got some issues there. Maybe some pent-up hostility from his Mom not being around or something.

As for the whole refusal thing... Man Ren is smoking hot, but I don't think I could have sex with a girl who doesn't have any feelings for me. That's almost like having sex with a prostitute in some sense.

Ren is programmed in such a way that she feels it's her duty to pleasure him, if at some time in addition to considering Takeya her Master she developed actual feelings for him it would be different (and that's usually the way this stories go anyway so I'd expect the love to develop).

Although that doesn't mean Takeya will be having sex. Seems like the male leads in these type of situations with a female who would probably do anything for them (Oh My Goddess, Video Girl Ai, Chobits) don't take advantage of the girl. (That tends to happen in the h-games)

Heck, Keiichi and Belldandy have been together, and are in love with each other and the manga has to have gone atleast 3 or 4 years and I don't think Keiichi has done more then kiss Belldandy.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 09:28   Link #214
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon_Frost
DearS afaik only runs for 13 episodes.

Anyone know if the Manga run is already done or they are still continuing?
Vol.6 of DearS manga will be released on Aug. 27. It's still being serialized on Dengeki Comic Gao. The October issue of Gao, also to be released on Aug.27, will have a mini figure of Ran and the following November issue will have Miu. Picture of the Ran mini figure can be found at DearS official website.
lordwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 09:47   Link #215
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I can't believe how much I like this awful show. It's got so much wrong with it that I normally hate. Way too much fanservice. A girl whose only purpose in life is to serve the guy. It's just wrong.

Yet somehow I keep looking forward to the next show because it is just so much fun and the characters are so likeable. I like Ren and Takeya and Neneko. I like Miu and Nia. I like everyone except for that teacher who seems just a pathetic parody. And of course I like the collars too.

I first watched episode 1 just so that I could talk about how bad this show was and now I'm totally addicted to it. I'm really sad that there are only going to be 13 episodes!
I'm sadly going to have to say I might be agreeing with you after watching a few more episodes...

What am I becoming?!
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 10:29   Link #216
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Heh it may have ripped off some concepts here and there (but then again, what new anime is truely original anyway), but puts an unique spin on them. I like most of the characters, but more importantly I love the comedy. It's simply fun to watch.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 10:38   Link #217
reikoku

Send a message via AIM to reikoku Send a message via MSN to reikoku
but that's the challenge, isn't it? anime like this falls into the same categories as many other anime.. chobits, for example. but if you like this one above the others... then this anime succeeds, right?

some people may say that they're tired of the same kind of animes... fanservices, ecchis... but some people (such as myself) am greateful that they keep coming out with it.. i loved chobits and onegai teacher, and so i'm bound to love DearS.

reikoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 11:18   Link #218
Kippei-onii-chan
sannin

Send a message via MSN to Kippei-onii-chan
I agree that dearS is quite addicting and funny, but don't you guys think that is more slutty than anything, and its kinda like lots of other anime like girls bravo, I have nothing agaisnt dearS and like it a lot but it way slutty and wouldn't want my mom catching me watch it
Kippei-onii-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 12:37   Link #219
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
As for the whole refusal thing... Man Ren is smoking hot, but I don't think I could have sex with a girl who doesn't have any feelings for me. That's almost like having sex with a prostitute in some sense.
Really? What about casual sex? Sometimes people just want to have the pleasure of having sex without the commitment. Like if I had a friend who's a girl (but not a girlfriend), and we both agree to do it just for fun, not for love. Would that be wrong? Of course, protection would be used to prevent having a baby born into a loveless "family". Anyways, just my thoughts...

So...not much to say about DearS, except to say that Neneko's favorite character by far. I love her cool demeanor, and calm and collected voice. I guess it ties into her (wonderful) personality.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 12:43   Link #220
reikoku

Send a message via AIM to reikoku Send a message via MSN to reikoku
stilll ... even casual sex with an alien.. no matter how hot she is.. is kinda creepy...no?
reikoku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, peach-pit, shounen