AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-08-27, 08:04   Link #221
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Woah. That was an unexpected twist. Didn't see that one coming.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 08:48   Link #222
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

It isn't that surprising when I saw Misaki tried to go to London too..but I didn't expect that she would get helped by that person..

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 04:23   Link #223
redflame

After reading the chapter, I'm more interested as to why Tora is helping her.. =_= I still can't comprehend or work out what he wants to achieve with these actions. He's really pissing me off and I'm itching to know his ulterior motives. Maybe just for entertainment? Or making his wealthy family more superior? I have a feeling the motive is somewhat more deeper than this.
Old 2012-08-31, 08:35   Link #224
Sol Falling

Tora's motivation was explained in the chapter. Right now, Usui is resisting the idea of returning to the Walker family. This is inconvenient for the Walkers. In order to pressure Usui into rejoining the Walkers, they used Tora's family and the Miyabigaoka academy. If Tora successfully helps the Walkers get Usui to return to them, then the Walkers will owe him and he'll have a more advantageous relationship with them. What Misaki said is that she's agreeing to go to England to try to convince Usui not to leave the Walker family, which is advantageous to them. So, if Tora has some part in helping her accomplish that, he will also have some gain from the Walker family.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 06:04   Link #225
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Why is that the parents romance is usually much better than the main character romance? I wonder if Usui's father is still alive and wel...

Old 2012-09-29, 20:01   Link #226
Sol Falling

Usui's mother and father's romance was great, but I found it kinda, hmm, not quite right how quickly they took their relationship to the physical level, ignoring everything else about the relationship they never got to have. I agree that it's really interesting to think about where Usui's father might be right now.
Old 2012-10-02, 03:50   Link #227
slide_away

Hi! So what do people think about this party that's going to be held for Usui? Any predictions??
I hope there isn't going to be some arranged marriage announcement!!
Although I could see how maybe Usui's story will mirror his parents, e.g. he likes the "maid" Misaki like his mum liked the butler, but he will be pushed towards someone else by his family?? I can't see Usui agreeing to this though.

Last edited by slide_away; 2012-10-02 at 04:11.
slide_away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 06:27   Link #228
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I don't think we should worry so much if he even got any fiancee. Usui would probably ignore her and still loves Misaki anyway. Even if you include the possibility of him getting...err, blackmail by his brother, I think they both would manage to overcome it.

Old 2012-10-02, 08:23   Link #229
slide_away

hmmm although it could be interesting to see Misaki vs. an attractive, wealthy female rival.... !!
Old 2012-10-02, 14:19   Link #230
Johnny
Working the bags...

Rival would assume Usui isn't head over heels for Misaki and therefore they have a chance. If another female is brought in I see something akin to what happened to his mother being played out again...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 18:12   Link #231
zigantz22

Unfortunately, this was a below average, uninteresting chapter; easily the lowest mark of this otherwise great arc.

The lack of Usui really hurt this chapter, since I feel the "events" of this chapter could and should have been told in a far more balanced manner, while also filtering Usui into it, similar to how it was done so well in previous chapters. For the first time, it really seemed like the story is starting to drag considerably, which is mostly due to the sole focus on Misaki's preparation, which, though usually interesting and engaging, faltered a bit due to the prevalence of Tora and Hinata, the worst characters by far. Tora remains incredibly unlikable, since all he's good for is to be a condescending jackass towards Misaki and Usui, which certainly didn't change in this chapter.

I mean, am I supposed to actually think that her conversation with a pathetic Hinata who should have moved on to Suzuna a long time ago and her brief dance with Tora that was solely written so delusional shippers of them could find one "shippable" moment in the entire manga is worth the month-long wait, because it really, really wasn't.

This was essentially a glorified shipping chapter that, aside from the final page, will have no further implications on the rest of this arc, since the story definitely won't pursue a tangent that has Tora falling for her, so I can only describe this as filler. Thankfully, at the very least, I'm grateful that this sort of chapter is out of the way so the story can return to things that are far more important, relevant, and satisfying to read.

I love the theme of this arc, since it's entirely concerning Misaki and Usui's long-distance separation and their ability to cope through it, inevitably culminating with Misaki going to England, and it definitely feels appropriately lengthy, since this is most likely the final arc, but there needs to be some energy thrown into the narrative, because, at this point, the pace would be better served by hastening Misaki's arrival to England, as that portion of the arc will proably be just as lengthy and far more enjoyable than this part.
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 10:32   Link #232
slide_away

^ Completely agree with above - very disappointed with this chapter & definitely feels like the story is dragging at the moment.
Old 2012-11-01, 10:48   Link #233
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I was definitely put off when this chapter showed Misaki working in maid cafe. i thought I read omake chapters or something

Old 2013-01-28, 03:41   Link #234
redflame

Spoiler for Chapter 78:

Apart from that it was an excellent, beautiful and excruciatingly sweet chapter definitely worth the two month wait. I strongly praise Hiro Fujiwara for this.

Last edited by redflame; 2013-01-28 at 06:49.
redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 15:11   Link #235
zigantz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 78:

Apart from that it was an excellent, beautiful and excruciatingly sweet chapter definitely worth the two month wait. I strongly praise Hiro Fujiwara for this.
Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-28, 23:32   Link #236
redflame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigantz22 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Last edited by redflame; 2013-01-28 at 23:55.
redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 07:02   Link #237
Sol Falling

Ch. 79:

Wow, Misaki calling Usui by his first name feels really intimate. That was an amazing scene. It really feels like their relationship has advanced to a higher level, although it will be interesting to see whether Misaki could keep that up in public.

It will be interesting to see where this grandfather situation goes. Should Usui and his grandfather reconcile? (Sounds like a good idea to me.) However, should Usui then correspondingly accept the inheritance/status of the Walker family? (Somewhat questionable to me, I'm leaning towards no.) But then, how to deal with Gerard's ailing health and the "hope" of the Walker family's supporters? And how about their debt to Igarashi? (Although Tora is rather pushing it by interfering with Usui and Misaki's relationship.) I wonder what's in store for Usui and Misaki's futures.
Old 2013-04-03, 20:02   Link #238
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Meh. What a pretty cheap shot he made
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 21:39   Link #239
zigantz22

Aside from Usui's moment with Misaki and Gerald's touching conversation with his father, that was a pretty terrible chapter, concluding this incredibly disappointing arc with a plethora of uninteresting touches. The resolution to Usui and Misaki’s numerous complications, for instance, was far too rushed and largely uninteresting, devoid of the energetic atmosphere that typically permeates each arc. Following the 57th chapter, each arc or significant development has been meticulously foreshadowed and subsequently established as a nearing potential for the narrative to pursue, yet upon finally arriving at the fruition of said developments, such as the return of Misaki's father and Usui's diversion with the Walker family, their potential has been swiftly squandered, as though Fujiwara becomes tired with solely pursuing a singular thread.

For example, the elevation of Tora's feelings for Misaki wasn't interesting at all, since I've never given a damn about his intermittent appearances before this arc. He's always been an ancillary character that poses absolutely no threat to Misaki and Usui's relationship due to Misaki's inherent contempt for him. The forced kiss, most of all, was so damn unnecessary. It’s the worst, most overused cliché in the entirety of the romantic comedy genre, aside from the triangle itself, yet Tora, of all people, following eighty chapters of proper relationship development between Usui and Misaki, was seemingly “rewarded” by Fujiwara for his wrongly perceived “selflessness” throughout this arc. The gesture, however, was pointless, since he’s not some sympathetic character that deserves even a fragment of narrative pity, but, at the very least, his arc is now concluded, so he’s thankfully not going to be participating in the ruination of individual chapters again.

Rather than maintaining the status quo, Tora’s character should have actually developed throughout this arc, since it definitely seems to be his last appearance in the manga, or, at the very least, the last one of any significance. Instead though, we’re left with a tired portrayal of his worst tendencies, particularly in the latest chapter. As such, it's quite disappointing that Fujiwara felt mistakenly compelled to momentarily placate a perpetually cruel, selfish, and arrogant character. He never earned his repeated appearances, as they rarely amounted to anything more than a repetitious cycle of banal shipping moments and a consistent tendency to thoughtlessly manipulate Misaki for his selfish desires.

This chapter and the entire arc, for that matter, essentially illustrated that the quality of Fujiwara’s writing has gradually devolved over the last twenty chapters, since she’s been resorting to an abundance of unrealistic contrivances and detrimental cliches. Thankfully though, the end is finally approaching, which will benefit the story immensely, as it will assuredly remain focused on the futures of Usui and Misaki throughout, which Fujiwara excels at, despite the diminishing quality of the manga as a whole. In fact, the dramatics have been mediocre, if not worse, throughout the entire manga, since they’re completely unnecessary, and they typically illuminate a tonal dissonance that doesn’t belong in this particular story at all. It becomes especially evident when the execution of the lighthearted chapters and romantic developments is superbly handled in comparison.

Last edited by zigantz22; 2013-04-03 at 21:51.
Old 2013-04-03, 23:15   Link #240
Johnny
Working the bags...

In short, the Walker arc was a disappointment and Tora is a fucking brat...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote