AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-07-10, 23:56   Link #61
whitecloud

So i guess the pro dub might be able to put their request in again? Now the studio has say it wont be able to put over 40 minutes show?
Old 2013-07-11, 00:01   Link #62
Utsuro no Hako

That stretch goal seems a little high considering they've already doubled the initial target. For half a million I think we should at least get an LWA manga.

What sort of reaction is this getting on Japanese anime sites? Exciting new way of making anime, or more proof that American anime fans have screwy taste?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 08:26   Link #63
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

It's important to remember that a lot of Kickstarters tend to over promise and under deliver, which distorts many donators perception of "value". In addition to that, a lot of people simply have no idea how much things cost to make, nor the timetables required to make them. Simply throwing more money at a project won't make them suddenly able to deliver "more, better" in the promised time frame. If people want them to make a movie or television series, expect something delivered by 2015 at the very earliest, with something more realistic by the end of 2017 if all goes smoothly, which isn't going to happen because the studio has other commitments and a desire to get this out by the end of next year.

I'm happy the studio is being honest and not trying to promise too much. It's a refreshing change from all the Kickstarters that aren't so conservative, and often use stretch goals with gimmicks to milk more money.

That said, an English dub would be realistic and practical with enough funding, and if they can push to 40 minutes (which their update implies is doable), combined with the extras they're already pushing for, they're offering a lot for the money being asked. Hopefully they won't be too discouraged by people demanding too much.

And yeah, count me in with the people who would like a dub option. I don't particularly like dubs, but a title like this deserves to be as accessible as possible. It's family friendly, translates well multiculturaly, and would make a great showcase for Japanese animation to show that it's more than shallow sex and violence. One of the things that drew me into anime in the first place was that it treated animation as a medium to tell stories, that animation could be more than just "cartoons". LWA reminded me of those emotions I first felt about anime, that wonder and awe of something so familiar also being so strange and amazing.
Old 2013-07-11, 08:46   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

And yeah, count me in with the people who would like a dub option. I don't particularly like dubs, but a title like this deserves to be as accessible as possible. It's family friendly, translates well multiculturaly, and would make a great showcase for Japanese animation to show that it's more than shallow sex and violence. One of the things that drew me into anime in the first place was that it treated animation as a medium to tell stories, that animation could be more than just "cartoons". LWA reminded me of those emotions I first felt about anime, that wonder and awe of something so familiar also being so strange and amazing.
Very well-said. I completely agree.

With most anime shows, I don't care if it gets dubbed or not. Heck, if anything, I'd argue that part of the reason that the North American side of the industry ran into such severe trouble is because they went with a "License/Dub EVERYTHING!" approach which was frankly total insanity.

But LWA is a high quality, high accessible show that has a certain charm and character to it that I haven't seen in animation (not just anime, but the whole of animation) in a very long time. It brings me back to my days as a kid in the 80s eagerly looking forward every Saturday for Saturday Morning Cartoons.

LWA can be a great shot in the arm for animation in general, not just anime.
Old 2013-07-13, 23:14   Link #65
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Instead, they should pick an optional: Dub or not (so at least the customer can decide).

Sadly last I checked, there are 1000+ people who want subs only to 200+ people who want dub (last I checked the voting station).
Old 2013-07-14, 02:08   Link #66
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So it gets a sequel... well, at least its an OVA and not a full blown series. My biggest problem with a sequel is very simple: what would be the plot? The first worked IMO precisely because it was a oneshot... otherwise, this falls into the danger of being "just another slice-of-life/coming-of-age anime", mahou shoujo (okay, so technically it's not mahou shoujo) school or no. Unless you suddenly change to a different group of characters (highly unlikely), it would just be episode after episode of "misadventures of the trio".

Granted, this plot would work for younger kids. But, as no one seems to have pointed out, the ultimate fanbase and viewership of this is definitely not kids (since I doubt kids would be able to KS this thing)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 02:16   Link #67
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So it gets a sequel... well, at least its an OVA and not a full blown series. My biggest problem with a sequel is very simple: what would be the plot? The first worked IMO precisely because it was a oneshot... otherwise, this falls into the danger of being "just another slice-of-life/coming-of-age anime", mahou shoujo (okay, so technically it's not mahou shoujo) school or no. Unless you suddenly change to a different group of characters (highly unlikely), it would just be episode after episode of "misadventures of the trio".

Granted, this plot would work for younger kids. But, as no one seems to have pointed out, the ultimate fanbase and viewership of this is definitely not kids (since I doubt kids would be able to KS this thing)
It is mahou shoujo. The original mahou shoujo series were all witches and the like. This is just going back to the original definition.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 02:51   Link #68
Horse

Quote:
Unless you suddenly change to a different group of characters (highly unlikely), it would just be episode after episode of "misadventures of the trio".

Granted, this plot would work for younger kids. But, as no one seems to have pointed out, the ultimate fanbase and viewership of this is definitely not kids
It may not work for you but I, for one, do not see anything bad in another "misadventure of the trio" as you called it. I'm 29.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 03:15   Link #69
brocko

Plot is over-rated.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 05:20   Link #70
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I think there's a lot of potential to the world of LWA. A full blown series would probably involve a lot of world exploration.

That being said, I somewhat understand your reservations. It's not always easy to catch lightning in a bottle a second time. Sometimes a story or show just clicks, and its hard to effectively replicate that without feeling formulaic. For that reason, I'm not going to let my expectations get really high for this LWA sequel.
Old 2013-07-14, 09:13   Link #71
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Instead, they should pick an optional: Dub or not (so at least the customer can decide).

Sadly last I checked, there are 1000+ people who want subs only to 200+ people who want dub (last I checked the voting station).
This isn't the 1980s. You can have the sub and dub on the same disc for people to choose from.

Quote:

If it ends up like The Worst Witch, I wouldn't complain.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-14, 10:41   Link #72
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Plot is over-rated.
No it's just that most people seem to misunderstand what that is.
Old 2013-07-14, 12:03   Link #73
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I trust trigger because they were interested in making this a full lengh TV show even before LWA was released,so I figure that means they've had the whole world figured out even then, so they're not just now wondering how to expand on it.

I just thought we'd get more of the chariot/teacher backstory , why did the shiny rod stop working,why was Akko the one who could use it?Maybe get some kind of journey for her to become the next shiny chariot?
Old 2013-07-14, 13:57   Link #74
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I will admit that exploring what happened to the Shiny Rod and why Akko could suddenly use it would be an interesting story... I think I highly enjoyed the first one because all the high-and-mighty students went OH SHI- when they finally realized that using magic against a Dragon = BAD IDEA (and it turned into an awesome fight). I probably do need to set my expectations lower if/when a sequel does fully get made.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 10:52   Link #75
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

I don't mind an exploration on how and why Akko became the chosen one and such, as long as they don't focus too much on it. What made LWA great, at least for me, was that it was light hearted and fun, nothing super cereal or plot heavy.
Old 2013-07-15, 17:54   Link #76
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

In kickstarter, is the autograph printed or handmade? (checking my $300 contribution)
Old 2013-07-16, 14:12   Link #77
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
In kickstarter, is the autograph printed or handmade? (checking my $300 contribution)
I could imagine they would sign it by hand..who's signing it anyway?
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:22   Link #78
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
So i guess the pro dub might be able to put their request in again? Now the studio has say it wont be able to put over 40 minutes show?
Now that we know they are really stretching for resources, a dub seems like too much work as it is. If all you want is to grow the franchise, the studio is currently not capable of doing that even if you give them money.

It is now no longer a matter of sacrificing funds, but that Trigger doesn't have the capacity. They would have to have an entire division or hire some other company to do dubs, which is too much when they currently have their hands full.
Old 2013-07-16, 17:53   Link #79
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
I could imagine they would sign it by hand..who's signing it anyway?
Tried asking (twice). No answer.
Old 2013-07-16, 21:08   Link #80
pezzie

I like the idea of a dub, even though I probably won't ever watch it. Anything to reach a larger audience is a good thing.

But why are so many people insistent on Studio Trigger doing the dub? They are a tiny, brand new studio without a lot of wiggle room in terms of funds. Even if this Kickstarter hits $600k+, I'd rather they focus on staying solvent and making more quality animation. Let one of the localizing companies license the show and do a dub, like most of the other dubs out there.
pezzie is offline   Reply With Quote