AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-05, 08:17   Link #181
Amaterasu1963

Re: mass weapon ban

Please try to remember that this concept was introduced in the "history lesson" between Fate, Erio and Caro on the helicopter. The primary reference point here is *Midcilda*. Midchilda suffered a lot of damage from mass weapons so the 3 brains decided to rebuild as a magic based civilization. They are only talking about Midchilda here; noting is said about the history of Vizen or Orussia or any other planet.
Old 2010-11-05, 09:53   Link #182
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaterasu1963 View Post
Re: mass weapon ban

Please try to remember that this concept was introduced in the "history lesson" between Fate, Erio and Caro on the helicopter. The primary reference point here is *Midcilda*. Midchilda suffered a lot of damage from mass weapons so the 3 brains decided to rebuild as a magic based civilization. They are only talking about Midchilda here; noting is said about the history of Vizen or Orussia or any other planet.
Except that, at the time, the damage mass-based weapons were doing weren't likely used on Mid-Childa, since they settled that planet later and used it as the TSAB home base. Mass-based weapons during the Belkan wars had rendered several planets either uninhabitable, or completely destroyed. The TSAB was founded to root out such weapons.

So the more likely explanation is that they will definitely stop people from building nukes or stronger (perhaps even regular ICBMs or such), but they'll let you have guns and tanks if you keep them confined to your own planet. They are a police organization, and so won't interfere in the internal affairs of planets. But then, you probably won't get all the benefits of being in the TSAB, either.

In short, they are leading by example (see how great our magic-based civilizations is? Wouldn't you like yours to be just as peaceful and nice?). But they are primarily interested in dealing with lost logia, for which they will violate any boundaries to contain those dangerous objects.
Old 2010-11-05, 13:44   Link #183
mielipuoli

I was under the impression that Mid-Childa was damaged badly in the original fighting. I mean, the Cradle itself and all the drones aboard it had crashed(?) on it and been lost to history; clearly there'd been something bad happening to cause that.

Interestingly, the 8th Coastal Airport was never rebuilt in the four years after the fire. That's kind of a surprise, at least from an American POV; the way infrastructure gets built and rebuilt, it's pretty important. There's also a lot of stuff about how crime could go up 20% according to that speech Gaiz made. I think we need to sit down and data-mine Strikers for all the little things...

...though I keep worrying we'll discover that the Nanohaverse is just a collection of cool ideas on-the-spot rather than as thought-out and detailed as we'd like.
Old 2010-11-05, 14:41   Link #184
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielipuoli View Post
...though I keep worrying we'll discover that the Nanohaverse is just a collection of cool ideas on-the-spot rather than as thought-out and detailed as we'd like.
It's already been discovered tbh. It isn't thought-out by far, though it has details in some places, but runs 99% on Rule of Cool.

Old 2010-11-05, 15:59   Link #185
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
I've made peace with that fact a long time ago...any question I posted here was basically to confirm which one's actually have canon backing and which one's are lost causes
Old 2010-11-05, 19:23   Link #186
Marsala
Delurker

Quote:
I was under the impression that Mid-Childa was damaged badly in the original fighting. I mean, the Cradle itself and all the drones aboard it had crashed(?) on it and been lost to history; clearly there'd been something bad happening to cause that.

Interestingly, the 8th Coastal Airport was never rebuilt in the four years after the fire. That's kind of a surprise, at least from an American POV; the way infrastructure gets built and rebuilt, it's pretty important. There's also a lot of stuff about how crime could go up 20% according to that speech Gaiz made. I think we need to sit down and data-mine Strikers for all the little things...

Midchilda strikes me as being underpopulated relative to its development. Or perhaps the cities are just experiencing a lot of population shrinkage as people move away to less urban areas, now that travel to other worlds is so stable.
Old 2010-11-05, 20:26   Link #187
Oseng

Personally I view the TSAB as a kind of confederation with a weak to middling federal government instead of a true federation – a mix between the EU and UN with a little of the US thrown in.

Unless the people on Orussia start really breaking the law, such as using lost logia or mass based weapons of mass destruction, there probably isn’t much the TSAB (central/federal government) can do about it without the permission of Orussia’s government. They would also have to get the political will etc together as well.

But yeah, over all, the Nanoha setting runs on rule of cool more then anything else.
Old 2010-12-21, 21:53   Link #188
Nagumo
Random Translator

After a very very long break, I've returned to do a translation entry for the SSX dictionary found in the Sound Stage X drama cd booklet.

Page 17
Wing Road (CD2, track 17)
A road of light leads the way to the sky, a unique personal spell/speciality of Subaru’s.
It allows a weak ground force/combat mage to freely take to the sky for air combat.
This is how she always reaches [a safe place is straight ahead], these are Subaru’s [Wings to the Sky].
(Trans note: When interpreting ‘a safe place is straight ahead’, think of Nanoha’s epic dungeon bypass minus the pink beam of befriending. This is Subaru’s equivalent + hotblooded determination, Starlight Breaker provided by Teana)
Old 2010-12-21, 22:13   Link #189
Nagumo
Random Translator

Stun Bullet (CD 2, track 13)
Many Bureau members possess/make use of the popular specialty stun bullets, but Teana’s own stun bullets are highly original and refined.
It is highly damage effective/efficient and delivers high voltage discharge, not only that it also possesses high knock down power that robs targets of their ability/strength to move (trans alt: effectively immobilizes the target)
Old 2010-12-21, 23:17   Link #190
Nagumo
Random Translator

Not too satisfied with this translation but it's the best I can do.

N2R (CD 2, track 10)
Subaru and Ginga’s four adopted sisters of the Nakajima family, a unit consisting of the 4 reformed former ‘Numbers’.
Advance guard position is taken by Nove and Wendi, and artillery support by Diechi with Cinque being responsible of commanding the other three in both advance guard/vanguard and rearguard positions. Cinque’s position makes it easier to coordinate the unit.
The name of the unit was thought up by Cinque, to put it simply, it is from the block and room number where the four formerly resided in (N Block-02-Room). Surprisingly, the name was thought to be very cool/awesome to the sisters.
Thus Nove suggested it as the unit name as their inspiration/hopes of a new beginning. (trans alt: to lay the foundations of a new…)
(Note: Cinque, I know you were excited about getting got out of jail and all, but couldn’t you have thought up a cooler team name? God it’s like being in Asahikawa where all the streets are named, 4th north 13th west and the library was called ’10 south, 12th east district 1 library’.)
Old 2010-12-22, 11:47   Link #191
mielipuoli

Or French street names for that matter...still, N2R does sound kinda cool. The stun bullet thing is interesting, what're they usually used in?
Old 2010-12-22, 16:13   Link #192
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Or French street names for that matter...still, N2R does sound kinda cool. The stun bullet thing is interesting, what're they usually used in?
That is a good question... It doesn't even say, I just assumed guns or gun like devices which can accept the bullets and expel them.

Or perhaps they are stored in the device itself (dimensional pocket space?) and blast them out when commanded to?

Last edited by Nagumo; 2010-12-22 at 23:09.
Old 2010-12-22, 22:45   Link #193
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I always assumed "bullets" were just magically generated, and that the term didn't refer to a physical projectile.
Old 2010-12-22, 23:16   Link #194
mielipuoli

Same here previously. Maybe it's just a variant of attack magic that gives it a taser-like component. It was just the vagueness of the concept and the lack of context that made me scratch my head - and by no means do I point that at Nagumo; I simply mean that the original text is not very detailed and does sound cool - but well...kinda left a lot out. Can't translate what isn't there, right?
Old 2010-12-23, 20:02   Link #195
Nagumo
Random Translator

Fake Silhouette (CD 2, track 13)
Teana’s illusion magic. Can create an illusion of herself or a specific person or object, the illusion can move independently/at will.
During her time with Subaru at the Training school/academy and at Mobile Six, whenever herself or her team were in toruble, this would be one of Teana’s trump cards/secret weapon. Even now, Teana keeps this particular skill a secret from ‘others/strangers’, not even Runessa was aware/told of it.
Old 2010-12-23, 20:08   Link #196
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Huh, that's interesting.

Considering the rather open nature of Nanoha in terms of "secrets", this is rather refreshing.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2010-12-23, 20:32   Link #197
Nagumo
Random Translator

[Ix] and [Mariages] (CD 2, track 14)
Garea’s King, Ix, retains the ability to endlessly produce/create Mariage cores and is supposed to have the ability to direct and command them. But Ixpellia does not (alt trans: is no longer able to) possess that ability , moreover (apart from her first ability) similarly possesses no combat ability/strength.
(trans note: IE like the good Necromancer that Ix is, she is a very very squishy wizard. Quick she needs to take a few levels of badass by training with Nanoha!)
The main Royal Family of Garea had a particular goal/aim/objective in mind when they created this enhancement for themselves, however during their long spells of sleep the enhancement was somehow damaged somehow, the particular details are unknown.
Old 2010-12-23, 22:51   Link #198
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I always assumed "bullets" were just magically generated, and that the term didn't refer to a physical projectile.
Quote:
Same here previously. Maybe it's just a variant of attack magic that gives it a taser-like component. It was just the vagueness of the concept and the lack of context that made me scratch my head - and by no means do I point that at Nagumo; I simply mean that the original text is not very detailed and does sound cool - but well...kinda left a lot out. Can't translate what isn't there, right?
Yeah, to be honest with you, the description of the effect produced basically sounds like what Divine Shooter, Accel Shooter, Crossfire Shoot, etc. fire at enemies...so the question is, is this "stun bullet" supposed to be a description of this basic, commonly used spell effect, or is it a separate piece of equipment, loaded and fired from a Device (hm, come to think of it, I note that Cross Mirage doesn't even have an opening in its barrel, does it?)? Darned ambiguous text! (and seconding meilipuoli's comment here...can't in any way blame the translator for what's not in the text to translate...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
[Ix] and [Mariages] (CD 2, track 14)

(trans note: IE like the good Necromancer that Ix is, she is a very very squishy wizard. Quick she needs to take a few levels of badass by training with Nanoha!)
But Ixy prefers to sleep in in the morning instead of train.
Old 2010-12-23, 23:32   Link #199
Nagumo
Random Translator

What [Mariage] means (CD 2, track 03)
In the lands of Couras (Chorus? Coras?) Alzas (Aruzasu), the word in their vocabulary, with a slight change in spelling and context, means [Marriage] and [Blessing].
During the age of Old Belka, whenever it annexed another country, it would import countless new words or find equivalent words to add to their own. (Trans note: Japanese text: 古代ベルカは他国併呑の歴史のため、言語が多様なじだいであり、現代語と近似の単語も多数存在 するが. I get the feeling that Old Belkan is like the English language, it befriends an interesting language and steals all the cool words)
At the time, depending on how a word was used, the meaning could be remarkably different.
This is one of the reasons why deciphering/translating (the language) of prehistorical to Civil War era Belkan is extremely difficult.

Olivie Segbrecht
The problem with defending the purity of the Belkan language is that Belkan is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, Belkan has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
Old 2010-12-24, 10:49   Link #200
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
(Trans note: Japanese text: 古代ベルカは他国併呑の歴史のため、言語が多様なじだいであり、現代語と近似の単語も多数存在 するが. I get the feeling that Old Belkan is like the English language, it befriends an interesting language and steals all the cool words)
Russian and probably Japanese are same in that regard... don't know about others.

Quote:
In the lands of Couras (Chorus? Coras?) Alzas (Aruzasu), the word in their vocabulary, with a slight change in spelling and context, means [Marriage] and [Blessing].
So it originates from Caro's world if not region? Huh...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Closed Thread