AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2005-12-21, 20:36   Link #1
mshater

Enabling AC3 Support

I'm trying to enable AC3 or just a simple 5.1 channel support, but I don't know how to.

I'm using the latest FFDshow build 12/8/2005
Using Core Media player as well.

Can someone please help.
Old 2005-12-21, 22:42   Link #2
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Download and install the AC3 directshow filter.
Old 2005-12-21, 22:46   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Why? ffdshow does AC3 perfectly fine, and even if AC3filter is installed, ffdshow has higher priority and will be used instead.

To enable AC3 decoding go ffdshow audio config -> codecs and set "AC3" to "liba52". To enable 5.1 output, go to ffdshow audio config -> mixer (check it) and set "output speakers configuration" to "3/2 - 5 channels" and check the LFE box.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2005-12-21, 23:02   Link #4
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff
Why? ffdshow does AC3 perfectly fine
Because I was too lazy to check that ffdshow support of AC3
Old 2005-12-22, 02:58   Link #5
mshater

I'm still only getting 2 channels. Any Ideas?
Old 2005-12-22, 05:34   Link #6
TheFluff

Check if the input really IS 5.1, and what's decoding it.

@Sylf: the laziness owns us all @_@
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2005-12-22, 22:29   Link #7
mshater

Well source is 5.1 for sure. How do you check what's decoding it?
Could you recommend a test source you're using for 5.1?
Old 2005-12-23, 06:50   Link #8
TheFluff

http://www.cccp-project.net/beta/tes...3.AAC.test.mkv
There's a good testing file, with both AAC and AC3 5.1 sound.

To check what's decoding it (in ZoomPlayer or MPC, but TCMP should have a similiar menu): http://cccp-project.net/wiki/index.p...ers_are_loaded
If ffdshow is decoding, you'll see an entry called "ffdshow Audio Decoder". If you can't find that, something else is decoding it. If that is the case, please tell us all of the entries in that submenu.

Old 2005-12-24, 16:17   Link #9
mshater

I'm using AC3filter .70b. It show's me that my input is being split to 5 channels, but output is only going to 2. It's set for 3/2+SW 5.1 Channel. What's causing it to not split into 5.1?
Old 2005-12-24, 19:20   Link #10
TheFluff

Check your soundcard settings - they might have decided to downmix for you - or try ffdshow instead...

Old 2005-12-24, 19:55   Link #11
mshater

Assuming you have a soundblaster 5.1 card, how would I check this? The speakers are set for 5.1. Channel noises are going to it's right location.
Old 2005-12-25, 08:23   Link #12
apu

If you havn't already try a different file and see if it works. If it does will then it is the file you are trying to play. If not go to start programs,then creative,then to where it saies sound blaster audigy are what ever card you have. Then click on creative audio console, go to the tab where it saies speakers and double check that it is on 5.1 sorrond.
Old 2005-12-26, 03:37   Link #13
mshater

I'm getting discrete 5.1 fine with my games and yes, 5.1 is checked.
Old 2005-12-26, 04:54   Link #14
apu

I don't know what to tell you but sense you said it is working with games then its probably not your sound card. I still think it is something to do with the file you are tring to play. Does the file have more then one audio settings on it. If it does make sure it is set on ac3 version.
Old 2006-01-08, 21:35   Link #15
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

AC-3/AC3Filter thoughts

If you are having AC3 ouput problems, I'd suggest checking out the AC3Filter control panel and look at this window:

One thing to bear in mind if you use Media Player Classic and want to use either filter, go to View, then Options, then go into Filters, then under the "Source Filters" column, uncheck "AC3/DTS" then under the "Transform Filters" column, uncheck "AC3". Otherwise, it won't use the system-level decoders at all, using its own instead.

Once your media is playing, the first panel (assuming AC3Filter 0.70b) will work in real time. If you have selected some parts of the decoder to work automatically, some controls will automatically move and will not be manually adjustable.

The only abilities that AC3Filter's mixer does not have that recent builds of ffdshow's have is the ability to do the equivalent of Dolby Headphone as well as HRTF (Head-Related Transfer Function), both of which give you surround imagery with only two channels.

--Ian.
Old 2006-01-08, 21:37   Link #16
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

And another note, just above the output adjustment area, there's an indication of what the source material format is. In this case, it's six-channel (5.1) discrete stereo.
Old 2006-01-09, 00:13   Link #17
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Just a further note, as you seem to know only partly what you are talking about. You do not need to turn off the AC3/DTS Source Filter in MPC. The 'Source Filters' are those which are used for parsing containers. There is no need to uncheck it for AC3 decoding because it only allows AC3 and DTS containers (the actual AC3 and DTS files themselves) to be played in DShow. Nothing at all to do with the actual decoding of AC3 or DTS audio. That is what Gabest's so called 'Transform Filters' are for, decoding. Thus you would only need to turn off the Transform filters of whatevever formats you are dealing with. Note: these are already off in the CCCP.

There is not much reason in my mind for AC3Filter at all though.

Last edited by Nicholi; 2006-01-09 at 00:28.
Old 2006-01-09, 01:37   Link #18
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

I don't use packs which include the CCCP. I only use individual codecs, splitters, and other filters from the developers.

Furthermore, I prefer AC3Filter over ffdshow for AC-3 because it gives me quite a few more controls to work with. Mind you I'm not knocking ffdshow (I love it myself personally), I just prefer to do some things differently. I always keep at least one standby measure in place for as many formats as I can in case one method fails.

As always, YMMV. For me, what I do works.

And I stand corrected on the AC3/DTS parsing side. I disabled them anyway because I have system-level support. And I only rarely run into standalone AC3 and DTS files

--Ian.