AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2011-08-30, 04:10   Link #101
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
That is Babylon 5 not Star Trek.
Ithekro did say "Actually that reminded me of something else that wasn't Star Trek":

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 04:25   Link #102
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Talk about growing food in space as one possibility for the Mars Mission.

7,000 pounds of food per person for a five year mission. Well you can grow some of it I suppose. Having cargo ships deliver is also possible. (Space industry...farming?)
Also it depends on the size of the ship used and the number of people going.
Old 2011-08-31, 11:48   Link #103
AnimeFan188

Graphene photocells could mean hyper-speed internet

"The latest study of miracle material graphene shows it could be used to provide
a much higher speed internet.

Yet another application for the boffin collective's research darling could be high-
speed optical communications, which hadn't seemed like a practical application up
to now because graphene absorbs so little light, just around 3 per cent.

But now scientists at the Universities of Manchester and Cambridge, including
pioneers in the field of graphene research, have come up with a way to improve
the substance's capture and conversion of light by sticking two closely-spaced
metallic wires on top of it, resulting in an elementary solar cell."

See:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...nd_conversion/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 13:52   Link #104
yeahitschris

Quote:
Government sues to halt AT&T merger with T-Mobile

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The U.S. Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit against AT&T on Wednesday seeking to block its $39 billion merger with T-Mobile.

The merger would create the largest wireless company in the United States, combining AT&T's 98 million customers with T-Mobile's 34 million users, for a total of 130 million subscribers. AT&T is currently the second-largest wireless company by number of subscribers, and T-Mobile is fourth.

The DOJ said the merger would lead to a situation in which just two companies -- the AT&T-T-Mobile combination and Verizon Wireless -- would dominate the mobile market. The new AT&T and Verizon would account for more than two-thirds of wireless subscribers and 78% of the wireless industry's revenues.

"We feel the combination of AT&T and T-Mobile would result in tens of millions of consumers across the U.S. facing higher prices, fewer choices, and lower quality products for wireless services," James Cole, deputy attorney general, said in a press conference Wednesday.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/31/tech....htm?hpt=hp_t1
Old 2011-08-31, 14:06   Link #105
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
May or may not do anything, but if it does, I'll be a happy camper. I'd love to go back to a GSM network, especially if it's not AT&T.
Old 2011-09-02, 00:07   Link #106
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Space junk at tipping point, says report
Old 2011-09-02, 17:32   Link #107
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/...ne_5_apple.php

A Bernal Heights man says that six officials claiming to be San Francisco Police officers questioned him and searched his family's home in July for a lost iPhone 5 prototype they asserted had been traced to the residence using GPS technology.

The man's statements to SF Weekly in an exclusive interview add significant new twists to the unfolding story of the unreleased iPhone 5 that was reportedly lost at a San Francisco restaurant this summer.

If accurate, his account raises the possibility that Apple security personnel attempting to recover the prototype falsely represented themselves as police officers -- a criminal act punishable by up to a year in jail in the state of California -- or that SFPD employees colluding with Apple failed to properly report an extensive search of a person's home, car, and computer.
Calderón, an American citizen who lives with multiple generations of family members, all of whom he said are staying in the U.S. legally, said one of the men also threatened his relatives about their immigration status. "One of the officers is like, 'Is everyone in this house an American citizen?' They said we were all going to get into trouble.'"

Anxious to cooperate, Calderón said, he let them search his car and house. He also gave them access to his computer, to see whether he had linked the phone to his hard drive or had information about it in his files. Failing to find the phone anywhere, he said one of the "officers" offered him $300 if he would return it.

"They made it seem like they were on the phone with the owner of the phone, and they said, 'The person's not pressing charges, they just want it back, and they'll give you $300,'" he recalled.

As the visitors left, one of them -- a man named "Tony" -- gave Calderón his phone number and asked him to call if he had further information about the lost phone. Calderón shared the man's phone number with SF Weekly.

The phone was answered by Anthony Colon, who confirmed to us he is an employee of Apple but declined to comment further. According to a public profile on the website LinkedIn, Colon, a former San Jose Police sergeant, is employed as a "senior investigator" at Apple.
who is in control in apple? pretending to be the police and search someone house?
Old 2011-09-02, 19:08   Link #108
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
who is in control in apple? pretending to be the police and search someone house?
Maybe that South Park episode was actually closer to the truth than it first seemed.
Old 2011-09-02, 19:25   Link #109
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Corporate Espionage is Serious Business.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-02, 19:42   Link #110
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Corporate Espionage is Serious Business.
it is not espionage, it is stupidity. This stunt is going to cost apple big time.
Old 2011-09-02, 19:57   Link #111
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
it is not espionage, it is stupidity. This stunt is going to cost apple big time.
It may not have been espionage this time, but Apple is treating it as if it were.

Who ever gets their hands on the prototype could easily sell it to a competitor for thousands, if not millions, of dollars.

So in a sense, it poses a threat to apple just like any other corporate espionage would. Just because it's self inflicted doesn't change much.

And of course, we have no way of knowing if it was actually corporate espionage, we don't know for sure if it was an accident that he lost the prototype. I'm not about to cry "Conspiracy!" just yet, but with this much money involved I wouldn't put it past anyone.

The fact that they were willing to go so far as to imitate police officers shows just how desperate they are though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-02, 20:01   Link #112
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
It may not have been espionage this time, but Apple is treating it as if it were.

Who ever gets their hands on the prototype could easily sell it to a competitor for thousands, if not millions, of dollars.

So in a sense, it poses a threat to apple just like any other corporate espionage would. Just because it's self inflicted doesn't change much.

And of course, we have no way of knowing if it was actually corporate espionage, we don't know for sure if it was an accident that he lost the prototype. I'm not about to cry "Conspiracy!" just yet, but with this much money involved I wouldn't put it past anyone.

The fact that they were willing to go so far as to imitate police officers shows just how desperate they are though.
It's also highly illegal. I hope this thing gets blow wide open and Apple suffers tremendously from it.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 05:39   Link #113
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Killing a cancer cell from the inside out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT News
Researchers at MIT and Switzerland’s ETH Zurich have found a way to program cells to determine whether they have become cancerous, and if they have, to order their own suicide...

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 13:25   Link #114
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
This is huge. Really. The whole reason cancer is dangerous in the first place is that cancer cells are damaged and refuse to undergo apoptosis (programmed cell death) when they're supposed to.

This could potentially lead to extremely effective, surgery-free cancer treatments.
Old 2011-09-04, 21:16   Link #115
Knightrunner

Quote:
Oh wow, if they study this further many problems can be solved. I hope they can bring this study into our schools because I'm kind of curious how they synthesis these proteins.
Old 2011-09-04, 22:25   Link #116
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
The treatment involves introducing large amounts of loose pre-programmed (modified) genes to the affected area. The molecular circuits themselves are programmed to recognize certain miRNA and miRNA concentrations and open up to allow transcription of hBax when those conditions are achieved. As long as it doesn't trigger an immune response with all that free-floating junk, this would be a great alternative to current treatments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I hope they can bring this study into our schools because I'm kind of curious how they synthesis these proteins.
The impression I'm getting from the article in Science (Multi-Input RNAi-Based Logic Circuit for Identification of Specific Cancer Cells) is that they took the hBax gene and modified it with receptors to give it the multi-input AND capabilities of a logic circuit. Essentially when the circuit detects its target concentrations of miRNAs, it just unfolds the gene and allows the host cell's mechanisms transcribe it.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 22:38   Link #117
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is huge. Really. The whole reason cancer is dangerous in the first place is that cancer cells are damaged and refuse to undergo apoptosis (programmed cell death) when they're supposed to.

This could potentially lead to extremely effective, surgery-free cancer treatments.
Quote:
Oh wow, if they study this further many problems can be solved. I hope they can bring this study into our schools because I'm kind of curious how they synthesis these proteins.
*puts on tinfoil hat

i see a lot of possibilities to use this treatment as a assassination tool.
Old 2011-09-04, 22:51   Link #118
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
*puts on tinfoil hat

Haha, I think giving someone a first-gen chemotherapy drug would be more dangerous and effective . Just injecting someone with mass-produced hBax would be simpler and cheaper, but the damage from cell death may not be lethal.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 23:19   Link #119
Knightrunner

Quote:
*puts on tinfoil hat

Anything with the old chemo drugs way more dangerous than this stuff. Can't get more dangerous with radiation and moving towards nuclear.
Old 2011-09-05, 13:07   Link #120
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Haha, I think giving someone a first-gen chemotherapy drug would be more dangerous and effective . Just injecting someone with mass-produced hBax would be simpler and cheaper, but the damage from cell death may not be lethal.
Quote:
Anything with the old chemo drugs way more dangerous than this stuff. Can't get more dangerous with radiation and moving towards nuclear.
but this treatment doesn't leave a trace, just program cell death.

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/he...6donor.html?hp

And grow.
Today there are 150 children, all conceived with sperm from one donor, in this group of half siblings, and more are on the way. “It’s wild when we see them all together — they all look alike,” said Ms. Daily, 48, a social worker in the Washington area who sometimes vacations with other families in her son’s group.
As more women choose to have babies on their own, and the number of children born through artificial insemination increases, outsize groups of donor siblings are starting to appear. While Ms. Daily’s group is among the largest, many others comprising 50 or more half siblings are cropping up on Web sites and in chat groups, where sperm donors are tagged with unique identifying numbers.
Now, there is growing concern among parents, donors and medical experts about potential negative consequences of having so many children fathered by the same donors, including the possibility that genes for rare diseases could be spread more widely through the population. Some experts are even calling attention to the increased odds of accidental incest between half sisters and half brothers, who often live close to one another.
interesting issue

Quote:
Ms. Kramer, the registry’s founder, said that one sperm donor on her site learned that he had 70 children. He now keeps track of them all on an Excel spreadsheet. “Every once in a while he gets a new kid or twins,” she said. “It’s overwhelming, and not what he signed up for. He was promised low numbers of children.”
i just can't help but laugh at this