AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 16:59   Link #1261
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
It was stated many times before that the pilots don't know how long their current weapons and strategies will stay effective against the Vajra.
They can only evolve if the information is carried to the vajra network and as far as we know Lucca invented a kind of an ECM to disturb fold wave transmission.
Old 2011-04-25, 19:31   Link #1262
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
They can only evolve if the information is carried to the vajra network and as far as we know Lucca invented a kind of an ECM to disturb fold wave transmission.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention but when was this? And even then no one knows whether or not Luca actually finished it.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 19:50   Link #1263
Father Hentai

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't paying attention but when was this? And even then no one knows whether or not Luca actually finished it.
Episode 22, when they tested the new weaponry. He flew his VF-25 recon version and he mentioned himself that they can only intercept fold waves within 100 km radius and that the others should not find out about the new weaponry. Not sure if this is a translation error by Thora. By "others" he can only mean the Vajra however it can be mixed up with NUNS or SMS, but would not make any sense.
Old 2011-04-26, 06:19   Link #1264
wisteria233

Quote:
Episode 22, when they tested the new weaponry. He flew his VF-25 recon version and he mentioned himself that they can only intercept fold waves within 100 km radius and that the others should not find out about the new weaponry. Not sure if this is a translation error by Thora. By "others" he can only mean the Vajra however it can be mixed up with NUNS or SMS, but would not make any sense.
But even if you do take that into account, the Vajra that they fight in the last episode has been going up against galaxy, so it is possible that they would have evolved anyway from fighting them (they seem to be ahead of Frontier in terms of technology). Making Luka's new weapon kinda a moot point, (since he's the only one that has it anyway).
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 09:20   Link #1265
magnuskn

I have to ask myself how exactly the Vajra could attain immunity to a weapon which essentially causes a dimensional implosion in them. ^^
Old 2011-04-26, 14:41   Link #1266
Spartanz1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I have to ask myself how exactly the Vajra could attain immunity to a weapon which essentially causes a dimensional implosion in them. ^^
my 2 cents would be since they are a hive mind like race, the queen or the other vajara probably had a rough idea what killed the drone and how to mitigate future damage. However don't quote me on that one as I don't honestly know my self
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 15:09   Link #1267
magnuskn

As I said in my recap for this week, the show uses a lot of handwavium for the last episodes.
Old 2011-04-26, 17:12   Link #1268
Father Hentai

Quote:
But even if you do take that into account, the Vajra that they fight in the last episode has been going up against galaxy, so it is possible that they would have evolved anyway from fighting them (they seem to be ahead of Frontier in terms of technology). Making Luka's new weapon kinda a moot point, (since he's the only one that has it anyway).

At the end fight I think the weapon advantage was with Frontier but Vajra had just pure quantity and a coordinated combat strategy when linking with Grace which makes it difficult to surpass.

Why I am saying it like this is because I looked up the details of Frontier and Galaxy and the only technical difference between the battle pods are interior and electronics. If the Vajra would have adapated the technology of Galaxy, then the HQB arsenal should be ineffective but it was quite effective until the very end.

Quote:
You don't need to be immune, you just need to avoid it or create the proper anti missile gunpods or flares.
Old 2011-04-27, 02:21   Link #1269
magnuskn

Quote:
You don't need to be immune, you just need to avoid it or create the proper anti missile gunpods or flares.
Well, dodging ain't working too well for them anymore against SMS.
Old 2011-04-27, 03:54   Link #1270
Father Hentai

Quote:
Well, dodging ain't working too well for them anymore against SMS.
They can still avoid dimensional implosions. Just stay out of the impact radius.
And SMS wasn't back when Frontier attacked the Vajras in episode 24.
Old 2011-04-27, 04:00   Link #1271
magnuskn

Quote:
They can still avoid dimensional implosions. Just stay out of the impact radius.
And SMS wasn't back when Frontier attacked the Vajras in episode 24.
As long as Alto is training the pilots...

And I was talking about the MDE bullets, not the big bombs. ^^
Old 2011-04-27, 04:18   Link #1272
Father Hentai

Quote:
As long as Alto is training the pilots...

And I was talking about the MDE bullets, not the big bombs. ^^
I knew this was coming Flares and Anti Missile weaponry would work against this but the Vajra has to "learn" more about this technology first. That's why it was important to keep this information from them in episode 22.
Old 2011-04-27, 16:03   Link #1273
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
As I said in my recap for this week, the show uses a lot of handwavium for the last episodes.
Yes. The preview for the final episode says "We didn't have time to animate anything, so watch us turn the page." - No preview and only the title displayed over a pretty pic would have looked better.
Old 2011-04-27, 16:28   Link #1274
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Yes. The preview for the final episode says "We didn't have time to animate anything, so watch us turn the page." - No preview and only the title displayed over a pretty pic would have looked better.
Well, "handwavium" is rather used as a playful term for writers just "hand-waving" certain plot elements in the style of "Y'know, it just worked. Somehow."
Old 2011-04-27, 19:05   Link #1275
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
But it's also a reference to the ending titles of the original Macross series...

So I think maybe they had time to animate stuff, they just chose not to.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 19:14   Link #1276
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Watching the end credits of the original TV series either brings me a nostalgic smile, or a tear in me eye.

Those were the good ol' days.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 20:29   Link #1277
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, those were classy days. Funny about the portuguese subs, by the way.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 20:31   Link #1278
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Yeah, those were classy days. Funny about the portuguese subs, by the way.
Did you make them?

It was the best-looking and -sounding version I could find quickly.

And yeah...it's amazing how much I disliked that song back in the day, and how warm and fuzzy it makes me feel now.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 21:36   Link #1279
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

No, I didn't make them, but I used to know the (then) boys who did.

And that's exactly how I felt, too. I only genuinely liked that song when I heard it as a duet.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 11:59   Link #1280
SS13

Quote:
The real question how many living people without implants are still on Galaxy after they got attacked in the earlier episodes.
No, the real question is what happened to Macross Galaxy? Was it destroyed? Or did it get away? Or is it in the conspiracy and now it's still out there, waiting for a chance for revenge?

As for implants, note this: if implants were mandatory, and if Grace (and some other) wanted to use Sheryl, she would be the last person to be allowed an exception, selling point or not. So implant-less people were not just an underground minority.

Quote:
Which doesn't doesn't prove your point. It isn't ego its just being aware of your own body and sexuality. Those two things are different.
WHAT is ego, then? The opinion that you are the only one who matters? Sheryl never was like this (note she cares for Galaxy even though she wasn't really happy there. Also note she helps Ranka). The idea that you are very important, well this IS suipported by "hopes and dreams"... but this is even more true now that her voice really is their only hope.

And as for sexuality... Sheryl isn't that well-endowed, you know. Nanase isn't worse than her, and then there are micronized zentraedi (except Klan). So Sheryl was ultimately spot on: the most important reason for male gaze n her breasts is the voice of the owner - not the other way around, and Sheryl surely knew that. She ddn't realised her popularity was fabricated, but the effects - and limits - of it she knew pretty well.
Anyway other points:

- The fleet truly seems to grow bigger and better.

- Indeed the only way to escape MDE is to evade it. But this won't work for Carriers - and not for Queen, so it is a very dangerous tactic.

- The giant Vajra is probably symbolic. Or it was a supercarrier.

- For somebody dying, Sheryl is full of energy. She was probably prepared literally to sing to death.

- "Sagittarius one"? now that's a cruel joke!

- VF-27 is WAY better than VF-17X
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch