AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2007-12-23, 03:46   Link #81
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
why is it always the same 20 people doing English dubs (they must have one kick ass union)
I kinda wish they could introduce some new names or use real actors. oh well i can still dream
Define "real actors" for us please. And if it involves ones paychecks don't bother. Money does not equal quality. More often than not it's about having the right connections. Hell, you even need connections to get into dubbing

Not to mention dubbing anime is very challenging and according to some posts at the AnimeonDVD forums big names have tried but apparently don't have what it takes a lot of the time. And most of those on the cast have given solid performances in other roles.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 07:25   Link #82
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Quote:
why is it always the same 20 people doing English dubs (they must have one kick ass union)
I kinda wish they could introduce some new names or use real actors. oh well i can still dream
You... DO realize anime is a niche, right? Or the companies' standards are too high. Pretty much, there really are not that many people willing to dub. No offense to them, but I could think of it as washed-out actors people forgot about that still found a way to make money. They may also be fans, or are mainly animation voice actors in a live-action culture. The reason you see repeated roles is because there is not enough of a pool to veer from it.
Despite the size of our little anime community, it's still a niche. This may also be transferred to the people willing to act for them as well.
The companies can only make so much money since it's a rather small community among the English-speaking world. Real actors (I'm guessing, what, Patrick Stewart here? Or maybe Samuel Jackson, if we take Afro Samurai into account.) would also be much more expensive.

Being new, I must ask: Do dub threads tend to veer from the actual dub a lot, usually going into justifying the meer existence of it? I mean, I can't say too much since I've never seen Code Geass. We need another trailer or something.
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 09:43   Link #83
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Thankfully someone youtubed it ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQr4bWaVWD8
what i meant was that it was so iecky that i didn't watch it completely, eitherway thanks for the youtube link incse the other ever dies
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 09:58   Link #84
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirth View Post
Being new, I must ask: Do dub threads tend to veer from the actual dub a lot, usually going into justifying the meer existence of it? I mean, I can't say too much since I've never seen Code Geass. We need another trailer or something.
"Hardcore" anime viewers will often treat dubs, no matter what the quality, as if they were an injured race horse that should be put down. I stroll through various forums constantly rolling my eyes at comments like "My ears are bleeding" or the classic gem "Dubs make Jesus cry". I get the feeling that many people view dubs just so they have the chance to criticize how much better the original audio is.
My stance towards dubbing is neutral. If a dub brings in a whole new audience (and knowing Adult Swim, Code Geass's dub will), then I'm all for it. The dub watchers are still experiencing the same exact story that I did when watching the sub. More people viewing the epicness that is Code Geass can never be a bad thing. All it means is that I'll have new people to discuss it with. Criticizing a particular dub is fine, but to tear it down prematurely when you don't even intend to watch it seriously is just lame.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 15:14   Link #85
Deathwing
what do i know

by real actors i just mean people who can read off a verse with the emotion thats supposed to be there (kinda like the Japanese voice actors do it)

i was really just wondering why the choices are so limited to the same people it just i think some of these anime (especially this one) deserve better
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 16:14   Link #86
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
by real actors i just mean people who can read off a verse with the emotion thats supposed to be there (kinda like the Japanese voice actors do it)
I think most of the cast has proven they can do it just fine. How many more perfect screams does Sasuke have to do before you consider Yuri good? Bosch has shown equal skill in the Devil May Cry trailers as Nero and if you want an insane version of his acting just watch Heat Guy J. Do I even need to mention Liam O'Brien's insane Gaara or his Vincent Law that helped make Ergo Proxy one of the best dubs of the year in the eyes of many? I'd call him one of the best in the business. Higgens may lack range, but I liked her Sakura and her Talho.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 19:03   Link #87
rpgman1

I read in an interview that Yuri prefers listening to anime in its original language since he is fluent in Japanese (you can tell by the way he pronounces Japanese names with an accent in Naruto). Obviously the market for new actors in the US is pretty low and get recycled over and over again. Anime is a part of Japanese culture (as can be seen in Genshiken). It's not a phenomenon here in the US since the country didn't create anime. It all comes down to money and delivering lines from the director. Why do you think we have celebrities making millions in contracts? Here, VAs are near the bottom of the food chain when it comes to income and have to join unions (or using aliases) just to make a certain amount. These VAs are not in it for fame, glory, and wealth. It's just to do what they wanted and to survive to make ends meet.

Code Geass would be perfect on Adult Swim to replace Blood+. If I get criticized for doing a poor job at it, then I improve on it. Bosch doesn't have a lot of range like Higgins, but he seems to get plenty of lead roles lately in anime and video games. He does fit for Nero in DMC4 like Ichigo. As Lelouch, I have to watch and hear if it is any good. If I want to watch subs with my eyes straining from reading the text without looking at the actual anime, then I'm not actually watching it as I have to shift my eyes often. The dub in Death Note is pretty good (except for L which is probably deep) and seems to be interesting. Some of these VAs really need range like Bridget Hoffman (can do just about any role). I'll have to wait in Spring to see if it does live up to the Jap. VAs. I think the Jap. director did this on purpose just like the Jap. VAs for choosing English VAs.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 20:24   Link #88
Kusaja

I'm definitely not in the intended target audience for this...but the dub trailer seems to be fairly OK in my opinion, though it's still too short to know how well the actors will perform in their roles.

As for editing...as long as they don't edit the overall story itself, including the fact that murders and massacres happen, I suppose the show can survive shortening or cutting out a few scenes here and there.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 01:49   Link #89
strategos

I have high hopes for the dubb of this anime. BAndai usuallly makes great dubbing. There have been some great series that their dubbings are from quite good to stellar. Specially with CowBoy Bebop. Many people loved the dubbing that was made for this series from Badai.
I cant wait for this series to reach on DVDs ^_^. Remember everyone to support this series .

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 15:37   Link #90
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
http://code-geass.bandai-ent.com/news/news_xx_07.htm

More samples of their voice x3

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 20:58   Link #91
CJL13
God of his own ego

Terrorist A shall be a legend in dubbing.

Seriously though the only voice I liked was Suzaku's. (And Terrorist A)
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-06, 09:50   Link #92
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
Damn, that was there at December 8th! Wish we could have found that sooner! On another note, the one who did Terrorist A sounds like Lex Lang.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 13:00   Link #93
rpgman1

Code Geass will replace Blood+ when it is over and will start this Spring. I'm looking forward to the series as it seems to be very popular and has an interesting plot.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:29   Link #94
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Code Geass will replace Blood+ when it is over and will start this Spring. I'm looking forward to the series as it seems to be very popular and has an interesting plot.
Good. I like Blood+, and an even better anime to follow shall keep me on the channel!
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 16:49   Link #95
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

CC sounds good.
Kallen sounds too old.
Zero. . . power ranger dude doesn't fit Zero.
Suzaku. . . doesn't match up very well.
Terrorist A. . . good!

Zero and Suzaku should switch places. Yuri forces his voice a little deeper and I buy him as Zero. Bosch would make a better Suzaku or Lloyd. Bosch needs to make his voice deeeeeeper.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 20:41   Link #96
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
They're trying to pull off what Taniguchi pulled off with Fukada and whats his name...

Anyway, Suzu's jap VA is more evil and Fukuada is more Happy, so Taniguchi switched them up with roles.

Yuri has done more dark based characters such as Haseo from GU games, and Sasuke.

Johnny is the upcoming hero Nero in Devil may cry and our lovable Power Ranger from our childhoods.

Thus they have roles that are complete opposites of what they usually get.

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-08, 21:16   Link #97
Koshimizu
おやすみ、ルルーシュ。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
Yuri has done more dark based characters such as Haseo from GU games, and Sasuke.
Also in US version? Wow.
Suzaku's VA did Haseo in Jpn version. Hence some fans call Suzaku the "Terror of Death".
Quote:
Johnny is the upcoming hero Nero in Devil may cry and our lovable Power Ranger from our childhoods.
That explains his hyper voice in the second file. XD

I believe Johnny will do a deeper voice. In the trailer, Lelouch's "well then" is deep enough.
In fact I love that line. It made me upload the trailer to Niconico and subbed it so Japanese fans could enjoy it as well.

Taniguchi picked the VAs for the main cast in US version, BTW. I also think he's trying to pull this trick again.
But this time without Taniguchi around to keep telling Johnny to lower his voice and Yuri to lighten up, we can only hope.
Koshimizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 00:09   Link #98
chrisbad726

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Damn, that was there at December 8th! Wish we could have found that sooner! On another note, the one who did Terrorist A sounds like Lex Lang.
*sigh* well....wait till it comes out and see the result.
chrisbad726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 10:05   Link #99
Yonsil

I saw the trailer...and..er..

1. Lulu's voice has some serious issue
2. Suzaku's voice satisfying
3. C.C.'s pronunciation needs a bit of twitching
4. I hope they don't cut off stuff like "you-know-what"
Yonsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 10:55   Link #100
Meatrose
Antihero