AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-25, 19:08   Link #181
Ultenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
They know better than that know. The editor was clear that the female readership of the magazine makes a real difference in the questionnaires, so it must be taken into account too (even if the magazine is a shounen manga one).
Agreed, but the female readership should know what to expect if they are reading a shonen mag. Just like if I read a shoujo story I'm not going to be upset because there isn't enough violence and GAR moments in it.
Old 2009-03-27, 09:25   Link #182
Cinocard

Wow, haha, anyone read the new chapter yet? The best chapter by far. It really got me exiting for a while who would really win there. But I'm having a feeling things aren't so well for Ashirogi Muto.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-27 at 11:09.
Old 2009-03-27, 09:28   Link #183
kakakka

Why? I think they're doing ok...
Is it the competition?
Old 2009-03-27, 12:15   Link #184
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
Agreed, but the female readership should know what to expect if they are reading a shonen mag. Just like if I read a shoujo story I'm not going to be upset because there isn't enough violence and GAR moments in it.
That's not the point. It's not about what a female reader should or shouldn't know. This is from the creator perspective: as the editor said, the female readership makes a different, so the mangaka has to pander to it. There's no way around it. It's basic marketing after all.
Old 2009-03-27, 12:22   Link #185
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
That's not the point. It's not about what a female reader should or shouldn't know. This is from the creator perspective: as the editor said, the female readership makes a different, so the mangaka has to pander to it. There's no way around it. It's basic marketing after all.
This can go for any sort of audience. They 'should' know what to expect but they will still make certain demands on the series irregardless of what the mangaka's original intentions are.

There's a balance between sticking to your own ideas/intentions and going with what the crowd would like. Go 'your own way', there's a risk of losing the audience. Going to much with the crowd and you sink into the rest of the pack.
Old 2009-03-27, 12:28   Link #186
Ultenth

Quote:
I disagree, I read a large amount of shoujo manga, and 99% of them have very little if any pandering to male audiences in them. I don't see why shounen stories have to be any different? If shounen mangaka actually pandered to female readers they would once in a million years actually have real romantic development in them, instead of just stringing you along when you know nothing will probably ever happen in the end (Kenichi, DGM, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.)
Old 2009-03-27, 14:25   Link #187
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

great chapter.

loved Koji's reaction that was soo funny. and he so deserved it as well

now that all three of them are kind of the same results, i think that Ashirogi's chapters that they have already done could come in there favour as they are trying to get seralised. the fact that they already have done them is could end up being a deciding factor.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:27   Link #188
Cinocard

95% shoujo readers are female, when there are much much more than 5% shounen readers who are also female. So, female audience in Shounen manga is more important than Male in Shoujo. But it's not much (though it's necessary to take into account that, to satisfy a male reader in a Shoujo is in particular harder than the other way around).

Every product before producing has a aim in certain categories of consumers. In a shounen magazine, of course the priority is to serve male teenagers. But it doesn't mean Jump does not want female readers.

When it is difficult to push anymore in the main area, it's completely normal for a mangaka to try to be more female oriented, if he thinks it won't affect his current male readership. And when there are so many male oriented manga but with little innovation, what makes a real difference in competition is, of course, female readers.

But it's just from the editor's perspective. There's also the factor of the mangaka's own interest. If he has to draw something he despite to get more readers in, he may not do it. And if he's allowed to draw what he likes, but will just sacrifice a little portion of readers, he will do it. If that mangaka interest is in romance and Shoujo, you get the picture.

Super popular stuffs: Kenichi, DGM, Naruto, Bleach... are doing so good in the male market that it can totally neglect the female market. And here, a mangaka personal enjoyment becomes more important that a little more in market share. But for those who are hanging on, to give Jump's female readers some rare service in the magazine may be the best way to survive.

Quote:
Why? I think they're doing ok...
Is it the competition?
No, I was talking about the manga actual plot, not the offside topic. I feels Ashirogi Muto may lose this Future cup.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-29 at 15:15.
Old 2009-03-27, 14:47   Link #189
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
95% shoujo readers are female, when there are much more than 5% shounen readers who are also female. So, female audience in Shounen manga is more important than Male in Shoujo. But it's not much (though it's necessary to take into account that, to satisfy a male reader in a Shoujo is in particular harder than the other way around).

Every product before producing has a aim in certain categories of consumers. In a shounen magazine, of course the priority is to serve male teenagers. But it doesn't mean Jump does not want female readers.

When it is difficult to push anymore in the main area, it's completely normal for a mangaka to try to be more female oriented, if he thinks it won't affect his current male readership. And when there are so many male oriented manga but with little innovation, what makes a real difference in competition is, of course, female readers.

But it's just from the editor's perspective. There's also the factor of the mangaka's own interest. If he has to draw something he despite to get more readers in, he may not do it. And if he's allowed to draw what he likes, but will just sacrifice a little portion of readers, he will do it. If that mangaka interest is in romance and Shoujo, you get the picture.

Super popular stuffs: Kenichi, DGM, Naruto, Bleach... are doing so good in the male market that it can totally neglect the female market. And here, a mangaka personal enjoyment becomes more important that a little more in market share. But for those who are hanging on, to give Jump's female readers some rare service in the magazine may be the best way to survive.

No, I was talking about the manga actual plot, not the offside topic. I feels Ashirogi Muto may lose this Future cup.
do they actually need to win it to get serialize? Trap and Knight are pretty much tied.
Old 2009-03-27, 16:23   Link #190
Cinocard

May be at least two of them will get serialized. But it's just a matter of sooner or later. So all that concerns me is they win this cup or not.

I don't think it was unintentional that Fukuda and Muto are in the same chapter, Aoki the next one and Koji at the last. Koji will flunk, Fukuda ties Muto and Aoki wins the cup.
Old 2009-03-28, 22:05   Link #191
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i still don't think we have seen the last of Koji. he was introduced and i don't think a minor character would have that much panels to himself. i doubt it's going to that simple that Fukuda and Muto getting seralised.
Old 2009-03-28, 22:32   Link #192
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

if that colorfusical is a real story.. I wont get near it with a 10 foot pole.. that was a horrendous art >.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-03-29, 05:12   Link #193
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

On the topic of Shounen readership here in Japan, I think one of the most interesting elements is how different it is than in the states.

A LARGE portion of the readers of Shounen manga are women. In fact, all character shops and doujin shops will at any time be crowded with women buying items of their favorite shounen series characters. This includes all the major Jump players of course.

A week ago I went to Comic City at Tokyo Big Sight, and 95% of the material being sold there were yaoi doujin for the big manga series. 98% of the crowd that went were women.

The only sections you find Japanese men in at anime/manga shops in Japan, are the ones with pink backdrops, frills, and Clannad/Kanon/Air-esque characters present. It's an interesting split that women are more interested in supporting their favorite shounen series and discussing it then men are. Sure, men read it, but they aren't the ones buying posters of Allen Walker, Tsuna, Zoro, Kakashi, etc.

Every Jump author seems to knows this. It's why Reborn panders to females, it's why Kubo draws attractive characters; the female fan base is what brings in an extremely large amount of the popularity, thus it is more important to cater to them at least on some level.

It's truly a fascinating subject to be honest, and we should start a separate thread for it because I feel like there are a lot of opinions on the subject.

On the topic of the manga, something tells me they're gonna win this round. They've yet to really have any HUGE victories for themselves yet, and this is a great place to start now that they finally have a great concept.
Old 2009-04-03, 20:56   Link #194
Nosauz

bit wordy this week but again the insight into how jump works makes the whole system seem a bit more transparent and bit more interesting. Of course they still haven't explained why Mx0 tanked after what seemed to be pretty damn good showing.
Old 2009-04-03, 21:12   Link #195
Samanosuke
Genma Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
bit wordy this week but again the insight into how jump works makes the whole system seem a bit more transparent and bit more interesting. Of course they still haven't explained why Mx0 tanked after what seemed to be pretty damn good showing.
because it got very bad rating in the weekly questionnaires.
So they tanked it.
Old 2009-04-03, 21:16   Link #196
Nosauz

sigh it was good? no? but yea this chapter was pretty damn awesome, i even jumped in my seat when they got the phone call, and the two editors "bonding" at the end was pretty interesting in itself.
Old 2009-04-03, 22:25   Link #197
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i really hope they get it. even if the manga tanks after a couple of chapters. i think someone said it earlier that they really do need a real victory. and it's true.
Old 2009-04-03, 23:01   Link #198
Nosauz

since bakuman doesn't evoke mystery i'm thinking they'll get serialized, but they won't be getting that anime any time soon so bakuman might be the follow up project or something on that lines.
Old 2009-04-03, 23:08   Link #199
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

They really arent a normal couple at all lol.

My fiancee live next door.. we went for breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday.. and still have the urge to talk through the phone several times a day @.@
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2009-04-04, 09:53   Link #200
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
They really arent a normal couple at all lol.

My fiancee live next door.. we went for breakfast, lunch, and dinner together everyday.. and still have the urge to talk through the phone several times a day @.@
Aye, they're hyper idealistic. Hopefully their friends will help them break a bit of the ice.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen