AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-19, 05:54   Link #2121
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I don't really see the issue here. Gon just isn't intimated by threats or pain. He's the main character of the series and as such has a reprieve from any mortal injury. Hanzo completely overpowered Gon but it doesn't mean he should just concede the match. He took a gamble and won. It was quite clear that Hanzo was a professional Ninja without a sadistic twist to him. For instance, it was very easy for Gon and Killua to tell Hisoka has a blood thirsty aura. Gon is far from the strongest character in the series at this point, and most of his competition are stronger than him. Would you rather he just run for it with even the slighest disadvantage? We have Killua who already doesn't like to take chances, and I like him too, but for different reasons. He's a fairly original character for shounens, honestly. He understands the risks involved yet his desire to accomplish his goals clouds his vision just enough to where his goals take a higher priority than his own life. And it makes things interesting and refreshing. The uniqueness of each individual character is part of what makes the series so good. Gon is simply one piece to the puzzle.

And Gon does pay for his mistakes. With a whole lot of pain. He just doesn't end up a cripple or worse, dead. Needless to say, when he lives in a world where arms can be sewed back on with a thread and needle, few injuries would end up permanent.

Last edited by Demi.; 2012-11-19 at 14:25.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 11:44   Link #2122
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

1) I lol every time somebody calls Hanzo "Danzo"

2) Every bit about Gon being a fool who takes risks is true. That's kind of the point. And he learns REALLY SLOWLY, which is why he is surrounded by people who can bail him out.

3) I feel like noting that the only consequence he gets "bailed out" of is death (or permanent disablement). He gets all the other consequences all the same. He sometimes goes in way over his head and at all times at least something bad happens as a result of that. He doesn't magically become stronger than all of his opponents either. His learning curve is pretty steep, but it's still a curve, rather than him instantly teleporting to the top of it. The fact that he constantly has to get bailed out of his jams by outside forces kind of makes him a rather atypical protagonist.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 14:23   Link #2123
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
1) I lol every time somebody calls Hanzo "Danzo"
I tried calling him "ninja-guy" for a while since I was pretty sure that wasn't his name bit I couldn't remember his real name, but I gave up in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanty View Post
The thing is, Hanzo could have been a sadist. He could have been someone who'd break all of Gon's bones just for the lulz. In this kind of scenario, Gon would have properly faced the consequences of his decision to not give up no matter what. And that's the point, people want characters facing the consequences of being the way they are and making the choices they make.

The only thing one can say in defence of HxH here, is that if one wants a story where the protagonist does not constantly get bailed out by the author, then shounen is not the place to go. Battle shounen protagonists always get bailed out and never face the consequences. If you want to watch a shounen show, then you simply have to accept that, or you'll spend your time hating the protagonist.
It's an incredibly unlikely consequence. Especially since he knew who Hanzo was and how he behaved from earlier, including in the middle of the fight. He was incredibly merciful the entire time, constantly warning him before he inflicted any harm. I don't think there was even a small chance of Hanzo following through on his threat, and Gon is observant enough to realize that.

If we're talking "realism", then what happened is actually more realistic than the silly morality fable you want to tell.

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-11-19 at 23:35.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 14:40   Link #2124
ditn

thats what i always like about hxh,its much more clever than the typical shounen
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 14:46   Link #2125
fanty
STARVING ARTIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
If we're talking "realism", than what happened is actually more realistic than the silly morality fable you want to tell.
It's not about "realism" (I mean, come on, lets take a look at the show we're watching, discussing "realism" here would be utterly ridiculous), it's about protagonists not getting away with things, it's about them not getting the easy ride. It's natural for at least a good chunk of the audience to get irritated when a character gets away with something, when there is a possibility that he might not have gotten away, when one can easily imagine things having ended up much worse than they have.
Old 2012-11-19, 15:48   Link #2126
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Then Hanzo's the wrong point to pick apart.

The contest was purposely designed to not be purely about combat power. Hanzou was presented as overconfident and goofy rather than sadistic, and the presence of witnesses in addition to Gon's youth would further inhibit him.

Yes, it was a gamble. But it wasn't that risky. The worst that would have happened is that Hanzou would have continued a bit and then Leorio or Kurapika would have jumped in, thus disqualifying Gon. At which point, it would be over and everyone but Gon and maybe Leorio or Kurapika would have their license.

And, as I've pointed out earlier, it wasn't that unlikely to pay off. Though I doubt Gon thought it through that much.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-11-21 at 17:14.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-19, 17:45   Link #2127
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Gon wasn't counting on Hanzo letting him win by the way. If he did, then he wouldn't have protested as much.

Also, forgive me for saying this, but between all the beatings and injuries Gon takes, I find it rather strange they describe this as "Gon taking the easy ride".
Old 2012-11-20, 01:40   Link #2128
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

In fairness, while he does get beatings, he generally gets what he wants in the end.
Old 2012-11-20, 02:49   Link #2129
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

He still gets lots of injuries and stuff. Or is it just that easy to forget that pain... hurts.
Old 2012-11-20, 16:34   Link #2130
kitten320

Gon pays a very small price for every dumb thing he does.

Some of his actions are tolerable, but some are not.

Do you really think that several punches and one broken arm were enough for his idiocy? Come on, try and do what Gon did. I'm sure you'll have far worse injuries.

Whatever price Gon pays it is or small or instantly repaid back. Once again the moment that pisses me off was not aired yet so I can't say anything. All I can say that the one scene was enough for me to lower my mark for last OVA.

Yes, you can get your arms back and stuff here but only if you know right people. Let's take Hisoka as example. Just like Gon he tends to play dangerous games and risk his life. However, what puts them to apart is the fact that Hisoka is actually strong. He knows that he will win so why not have some fun and add extreme stuff? Chopped arms? Not a problem, he has Machi to fix him up.

Gon on the other hand is weak. It's admirable that he tries but there is nothing wrong in giving up or taking other routes. If there is an easier path, take it, train, progress. When you develop, go ahead and take a harder route.
Gon keeps saying that if he'll surrender, he'll never see his father. But how does he plan to see him if he will be dead? Gon has a very narrow minded mind. In all honesty if Killua was not around, he would be dead long time ago since Killus is his voice of reason.

And yes, HxH has a good variety of characters. Sadly the most annoying one is the one who steals the spotlight.

In all honesty I'll better watch a whole arc with Leorio instead, the guy barely gets any love at all.
Old 2012-11-20, 17:12   Link #2131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
He still gets lots of injuries and stuff. Or is it just that easy to forget that pain... hurts.
It actually is, in shonen stuff. Pain never seems to slow them down much. Or to last.

(Well, superhero comics and the like have the same issue.)

I don't mind, really. It'd be hard to get attached to characters if the protagonist had to be changed every other issue as the old one got a crippling, career ending injury.
Old 2012-11-20, 17:47   Link #2132
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Gon pays a very small price for every dumb thing he does.

Some of his actions are tolerable, but some are not.

Do you really think that several punches and one broken arm were enough for his idiocy? Come on, try and do what Gon did. I'm sure you'll have far worse injuries.

Whatever price Gon pays it is or small or instantly repaid back. Once again the moment that pisses me off was not aired yet so I can't say anything. All I can say that the one scene was enough for me to lower my mark for last OVA.

Yes, you can get your arms back and stuff here but only if you know right people. Let's take Hisoka as example. Just like Gon he tends to play dangerous games and risk his life. However, what puts them to apart is the fact that Hisoka is actually strong. He knows that he will win so why not have some fun and add extreme stuff? Chopped arms? Not a problem, he has Machi to fix him up.

Gon on the other hand is weak. It's admirable that he tries but there is nothing wrong in giving up or taking other routes. If there is an easier path, take it, train, progress. When you develop, go ahead and take a harder route.
Gon keeps saying that if he'll surrender, he'll never see his father. But how does he plan to see him if he will be dead? Gon has a very narrow minded mind. In all honesty if Killua was not around, he would be dead long time ago since Killus is his voice of reason.

And yes, HxH has a good variety of characters. Sadly the most annoying one is the one who steals the spotlight.

In all honesty I'll better watch a whole arc with Leorio instead, the guy barely gets any love at all.
Gon doesn't always make mindless decisions. Just last episode he saved Kurapikas ass. Unless you think Kurapika had a chance against three spiders which he was more than ready to battle. He also came up with the plan to escape Nobunaga. And he never jeopardizes the lives of his friends, so if he wants to be risky with his own, then why not let him? It's not nearly as selfish to gamble with your life, then it is to gamble with other lives. Your opinions are too clouded with hate to see his good points. It sounds to me like you want him to be inflicted with some mortal injury, and every time he escapes that fate he becomes more insufferable to you. Gon is young, and certainly not weak for his age, but his competition are older, more experienced, and a lot of times stronger-- if he ran from every battle, the series would be far less enjoyable. And as you said, he's a main character, he needs battle experience, not evasive experience.

Last edited by Demi.; 2012-11-20 at 18:12.
Demi. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 17:54   Link #2133
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

My main point being, would you enjoy being in Gon's shoes? Because I wouldn't. I don't like the feeling of having stubbed my toe, let alone the punishment he takes.
Old 2012-11-21, 18:49   Link #2134
kitten320

I did say that some of his actions are tolerable.

Anyway main issue was not animated yet so I'll leave it at that. Greed Island arc is where he really loves to over step the line.

Besides I never said that he has to avoid every fight out there.

And to be honest, I find every MC boring. The only MC I ever liked is Edward Elric. Everyone else are boring, predictable and with untouchable/godly shield around them... in other words WORST CHARACTERS EVER!

All of them should just die, then I would be surprised.

MCs are fun only when you are young and get to know cartoons/movies/books. Afterwards you can predict almost everything about any MC out there =/
Old 2012-11-25, 12:13   Link #2135
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Is HxH skipping a week?
Old 2012-11-25, 13:12   Link #2136
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Is HxH skipping a week?
I believe that is so yes.
Old 2012-11-25, 19:21   Link #2137
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Holiday weekend here, too.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 16:43   Link #2138
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_freesze View Post
yep kurapika is a guy...... if not why would gon and the others use "He" towards Kurapika............
http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=866 By the way can some of you join this hunter x hunter 2011 group i created ........I'm not forcing you....but I'm sure if there was ever a hunter x hunter group
When the manga started publication in Japan the readers' most frequented question was if Kurapica was a guy or girl (the female voice actress or Kurapica's very formal manner for a male didn't help). Japanese people have it harder since their personal pronouns don't specify gender and most names are genderless. Togashi made fun of this with a scene from the exams in which he had to make a bet involving his gender; he believed Kurapica was more suitable for the bet. In an episode from the first TV series Kurapica for some reason is embarrassed with the position of his legs as he is showing his clothed crotch region. Although now almost everybody knows Kurapica is male, the new TV series added a really androgynous shot of Kurapica's face.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2012-11-28 at 17:06.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 18:51   Link #2139
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The fact that crossdressing comes naturally to him doesn't help much either.
Old 2012-11-28, 19:25   Link #2140
HybridBloodsZak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Holiday weekend here, too.
It seems there's a break for HxH every 12ish episodes due to Holidays. I don't live in Japan so forgive my ignorance haha but what was the holiday this week?
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen