AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-22, 11:16   Link #921
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Oh wow the stock Churchill I is so horrible I'm not sure I could grind through it until I have a better gun.
Old 2012-12-22, 11:33   Link #922
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Oh wow the stock Churchill I is so horrible I'm not sure I could grind through it until I have a better gun.
The 2 pounder indeed sucks on a Churchill. If you have the howitzer from the Matilda though, use that with HEAT. It's not perfect, and it'll eat through your credit gain somewhat, but at least you can grind exp faster than if you used that dinky stock gun.

This is one of the reasons why it's better to go through the Valentine tree if you're going for the British Heavy line: the Valentine can unlock both 6 pdr guns and the first 75mm to carry over to the Churchill, making the Churchill grind much easier.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 12:37   Link #923
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

The problem is when you finally unlock and mount the best gun the churchill can mount you'll find that the match maker will start putting you in matches with much, much better tanks (mostly tier 7's) so you'll never ever feel like you have an even footing and are less likely to be of any use to your team.

I gave up and sold mine in the end.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 13:00   Link #924
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Some of you here have seen me demonstrate the "sidescraper" armour angling technique before. Have a look at this.

Churchill LL at Fisherman's Bay.

Fast forward to when the clock ticks down to 13:50 or so, and see for yourself the true potential of the "sidescrape" maneuver.
Sidescrape is indeed amazing in the right circumstances. It works primarily in long corridors or against a single opponent when you cannot be flanked in a mid-long range duel. Keep in mind though if you get flanked during a sidescrape, you are likely revealing your entire weak side armor at a perfect 90 degree angle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The problem is when you finally unlock and mount the best gun the churchill can mount you'll find that the match maker will start putting you in matches with much, much better tanks (mostly tier 7's) so you'll never ever feel like you have an even footing and are less likely to be of any use to your team.

I gave up and sold mine in the end.
I elite'd mine and had my crew nearly finished their first skill before selling it last night. I can see in another world how the Church I could be an excellent ride that dominates the field. But in Tier 7 matches, you are nearly useless and in Tier 5's the prevalence of "derp" in its myriad forms means you don't live long enough to enjoy your high ROF

I ended up dispersing the crew to my Black Prince and Cromwell. The annoying thing was I couldn't transition the whole crew cause the Churchill I has 2 gunners and no radio man ..

Last edited by willx; 2012-12-22 at 13:12.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 13:10   Link #925
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Does the match making actually care about equipment? I got put onto the tier 7 match with the stock Churchill I that made me actually want to drop the tank.
Old 2012-12-22, 13:35   Link #926
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I believe so, after I fit mine with the vickers canon (I think?) I suddenly became one of the lowest tiered tanks in pretty much all of the matches onward.

I've pretty much dropped the entire British line altogether as its pretty barren and they aren't really that much fun to play which is a shame as I really like a lot of them in real life.

Which reminds me, I wonder why isn't there a Sherman or Tetrarch in the brit line ? as they where used by the British as well and the Russian tech tree includes a few British tanks

That said I think I'll keep my Valentine as its a good tank when you invest the time to train the crew and fit the best equipment.

Last edited by Drake; 2012-12-22 at 13:53.
Old 2012-12-22, 13:51   Link #927
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

ahh ELC, One shot a KV never been this good

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 14:00   Link #928
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I believe so, after I fit mine with the vickers canon (I think?) I suddenly became one of the lowest tiered tanks in pretty much all of the matches onward.
That's just coincidence on your part, confirmation bias. I still see lots of matches in my Churchill I where I'm the top tank despite having all the best modules. It's also been officially confirmed long ago that the matchmaker does not take modules into account, only the tank's tier. You could have the worst modules on and still be the lowest tank in the game. Which is why it's painful when you're trying to fight a T29 with a 2-pounder gun

That said, I like my Churchills, both the I and VII. Sure they don't have the advantages that my American tanks have, but they seem pretty much tailored to my personal playstyle. And the Churchill I is my current money tank for this weekend with the +70% credit gain.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 14:44   Link #929
Gravitas Free Zone

My luck with the matchmaker seems to depend on the hour... during the Eastern Standard Time evening, I'll have matches in my topped-out PzIV that put me all over the list. At stupid hours of the morning when it's even late in Pacific Time, the player count drops and I'm stuck in matches with angry hardcore Tier 7s.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 15:17   Link #930
Newhope

Finally finished the Jagdpanzer IV grind and I hated every second of it, good news is I now get the Jagdpanther and 30% cheaper as well.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 16:06   Link #931
Gravitas Free Zone

I now have the XP to get the T-34-85, but intend to wait until the New Year's sale begins before I purchase it, since it'll have a substantial discount then. Though upgrading will be a pain.

But then I'll have two Tier VIs and the Tiger.
Old 2012-12-22, 18:20   Link #932
willx
Nyaaan~~

Battle: Malinovka ("Camp" Malinovka) -- Outcome Good!

How can a battle on this awful map ever be good? Because we had 2 scouts that circled "No Man's Land" for a few seconds while we pounded their positions.. By the time the scouts went down, we had gotten 1 Heavy, 1 Medium and 1 TD.

Whole team congratulated the scouts on an excellent job, one of them even got a "Patrol Duty" medal. Highlights the seldom appreciated duty of the scout!

Now, with morale high and camaraderie focused on getting a win for our poor deceased scouts, my rallying call for a uniform advance simultaneously up both sides of the river and the hill were heeded. We crushed them! I topped the XP charts, but just barely, it was a pretty even contribution by all. Heck, nearly 40% of my XP came from sighted damage too!

Old 2012-12-22, 18:36   Link #933
Gravitas Free Zone

South Coast, eventually everyone is dead except for a big Soviet TD on their side and a medium-tier heavy on ours. Our heavy pulls off a nice flanking maneuver around a hill and gets a great spot perpendicular to the TD. All he has to do is shoot once and it'll be a win.

Instead, whether by accident or design, he bumps the TD with his tank and both of them explode.
Old 2012-12-22, 18:45   Link #934
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
That's just coincidence on your part, confirmation bias. I still see lots of matches in my Churchill I where I'm the top tank despite having all the best modules. It's also been officially confirmed long ago that the matchmaker does not take modules into account, only the tank's tier. You could have the worst modules on and still be the lowest tank in the game. Which is why it's painful when you're trying to fight a T29 with a 2-pounder gun

That said, I like my Churchills, both the I and VII. Sure they don't have the advantages that my American tanks have, but they seem pretty much tailored to my personal playstyle. And the Churchill I is my current money tank for this weekend with the +70% credit gain.
I don't know if I could see it as being purely coincidence as I played a good 10 odd matches in a row after fitting it and not once did I rank in the higher tiers and when I asked about it in the garage chat tab and a bunch of people including a mod (the guys with red names?) told me to go back to a lower gun..

That said I never tried downgrading to see if it made a difference I just sold it and bought the T49.

Old 2012-12-22, 19:01   Link #935
Gravitas Free Zone

The wiki could be wrong, but the line about matchmaking there says that equipment is not a factor...

It does note, however, that some vehicles have unspecified unique MM qualifications.
Old 2012-12-22, 22:01   Link #936
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

I been the top tier in my fully upgraded Centurion more than being the lowest tier.
Old 2012-12-22, 23:58   Link #937
willx
Nyaaan~~

Okay, this is just a silly brag shot, which no relationship whatsoever to real skill..

But oh boy, I just picked on the low tier tanks ..

Old 2012-12-23, 00:10   Link #938
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The 2 pounder indeed sucks on a Churchill. If you have the howitzer from the Matilda though, use that with HEAT. It's not perfect, and it'll eat through your credit gain somewhat, but at least you can grind exp faster than if you used that dinky stock gun.
Well, it's somewhat better, but there is one problem, and that is the shell's trajectory speed is way tooooo slow. I thought I was lagging, but after several shot I realize it's the shell is flying slowly like a kite.
Old 2012-12-23, 01:03   Link #939
Gravitas Free Zone

Fought one of those AT-15 TDs in my Pz38nA. Well, not directly. I was trying to spot against it and a KV at the same time, and it got kinda interesting.

In the end the AT-15 was tracked and surrounded by maybe six tanks, and it still took a ton of concentrated fire to crunch through its armor. It's bad when you're shooting straight into its back and your shots are bouncing.

Incidentally, I'm running springs, vents, coated optics for the 38nA. Thinking I might pull the optics and leave the third slot empty, like it was before, so I can trade in a camo net or binocs. Was using optics because my scouting method tends toward Leeroy Jenkins, but a couple things occurred to me today... one, I really tried to think during an M3 Stuart scout run, and lived. Two, I drove within 75 meters of a 38nA that presumably had good camo skills and a net, and almost didn't see the guy. Fortunately he was asleep at the wheel. Anyway, the 38nA can hide pretty well... it's just that its survivability when spotted is pretty bad, but I think I can handle stopping for three seconds at a time once in a while.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:18   Link #940
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Well, it's somewhat better, but there is one problem, and that is the shell's trajectory speed is way tooooo slow. I thought I was lagging, but after several shot I realize it's the shell is flying slowly like a kite.
lol, I remember once a Matilda was sniping with me, his shell so slow that I can actually dodge it after it have been flying half way.

Tags
mmo games, war game, wargaming.net, world of tanks