AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-30, 00:29   Link #1041
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The AS DVDs are out this December.

Clannad AS will start this fall.
Yes, but no Newtype Article yet. A series only get front-cover status on Newtype if the series is currently airing/just finished airing or is about to air within the next month. And Haruhi (Or Yuki) is 99% going to be on the next front cover because she took up most of the preview-space last issue.
Old 2008-05-30, 00:36   Link #1042
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yes, but no Newtype Article yet. A series only get front-cover status on Newtype if the series is currently airing/just finished airing or is about to air within the next month. And Haruhi (Or Yuki) is 99% going to be on the next front cover because she took up most of the preview-space last issue.
Good point.
Old 2008-05-30, 01:49   Link #1043
Pride
Ore, Sanjou!

Quote:
We know from a preview, the next Newtype magazine (due out in a week or so) will have significant new info, with Haruhi almost certainly on the front cover. If there is to be an air-date soon, it would be announced then.

Sit tight until then.

(The preview page in the current Newtype issue contained the blank silhouette of a long-hair Haruhi. If that's not a sign for season 2 I don't know what is.)
Sooo... when will the next issue of Newtype be out?
Old 2008-05-30, 01:58   Link #1044
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride View Post
Sooo... when will the next issue of Newtype be out?
Those who subscribe to the magazine generally get their issue in the mail at the 8th to 9th of every month.
Old 2008-05-30, 06:26   Link #1045
typhonsentra

Any chance it won't be a full season but a short OVA/movie?
Old 2008-05-30, 08:32   Link #1046
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Any chance it won't be a full season but a short OVA/movie?
Not possible. The second season HAS to cover both "Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" (as advertised) and the missing arc concerning introduction of the cat and a vital events explaining the personality difference of Haruhi before and after the film making. You need both of these, which means the TV format is the only way.

And there is nothing "short" about "the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya". You can't cut anything out because otherwise the plot wouldn't make any sense.
Old 2008-05-30, 08:38   Link #1047
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... the only really "vital" parts of Sighs concerning Shamisen are how Kyon ended up with him and why he talked... the former is "explained" during volume four and the latter... well, really isn't "explained" anyway(he just started talking )
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2008-05-30, 09:02   Link #1048
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... the only really "vital" parts of Sighs concerning Shamisen are how Kyon ended up with him and why he talked... the former is "explained" during volume four and the latter... well, really isn't "explained" anyway(he just started talking )
I would imagine "how Kyon ended up with him" is too vital to cut out. (In case you forgot, several non-novelreaders are still wondering what the cat was about.)

And combined with even MORE vital elements of Haruhi character development, Signs needed to be animated no matter what.

After the first novel, the author spent the next few story-arcs developing the cast so they would work as a team. Signs belong to Haruhi.

Another point, is that without animating Signs, Haruhi would have a massively diminished role overall. Just as the title suggest, "Disappearance" require Haruhi being out of sight for a significant period of time.
Old 2008-05-30, 09:15   Link #1049
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Then Endless Eight has to be included simply because of the frog suit in the anime-only Someday in the Rain.

Also, Haruhi is doomed to disappear into obscurity in her own series, simply because she can't know about the supernatural things going on around her... though I'm still of the opinion that after Melancholy, she's just playing dumb when it comes to all that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2008-05-30, 10:51   Link #1050
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Then Endless Eight has to be included simply because of the frog suit in the anime-only Someday in the Rain.

Also, Haruhi is doomed to disappear into obscurity in her own series, simply because she can't know about the supernatural things going on around her... though I'm still of the opinion that after Melancholy, she's just playing dumb when it comes to all that.
As I explained before, several arcs were written for the purpose of strengthening SOS-dan as a cohesive group, as they originally were a literal group of strangers.

Once the character development phase ended, Haruhi returns to the lime light because characters stopped doing things by themselves. Unfortunately for her, this would be anime season 4 if we get that far. But that's okay; there are plenty of short stories to insert between major arcs of the anime, and Haruhi is always prominent in these.
Quote:
Not quite. It IS true Endless Eight will most likely be showcased, but not because of the frogsuit. It needed to be animated purely because it indirected triggered/hastened the events of "Disappearance".

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2008-05-30 at 11:14.
Old 2008-05-30, 11:00   Link #1051
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Apparently we interpreted things differently. While she is prominent, Haruhi is hardly the primary focus of any major story beyond Volume 2. The closest would be Volume 9, but that's more or less a "Kyon" story.
Old 2008-05-30, 11:20   Link #1052
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Apparently we interpreted things differently. While she is prominent, Haruhi is hardly the primary focus of any major story beyond Volume 2. The closest would be Volume 9, but that's more or less a "Kyon" story.
Haruhi isn't the focus because this isn't about Haruhi; this is about SOS-dan.

The first novel had been all about Haruhi, but because of that the Sos-dan was a "dan" in name only; there was no cooperation between the factions.

A decision had been made by the author to make Sos-dan the final result of it all. Haruhi will no longer be the sole focus, but she will now always be there as Sos-dan's leader. This was necessary for new rivals/enemies to be introduced.
Old 2008-05-30, 12:41   Link #1053
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Not quite. It IS true Endless Eight will most likely be showcased, but not because of the frogsuit.
Yet it's perfectly fine to list Shamisen -- whose presence is explained in the scene in Disappearance where he actually becomes relevant -- as one of the primary reasons for Sighs to be adapted. Yes, that makes perfect sense.[/sarc]

Also:

Quote:
Once the character development phase ended, Haruhi returns to the lime light because characters stopped doing things by themselves. Unfortunately for her, this would be anime season 4 if we get that far.
Quote:
Haruhi isn't the focus because this isn't about Haruhi; this is about SOS-dan.
Quote:
in the limelight

1. (idiomatic) The focus of attention, especially from the media.
Thank you very much for agreeing with me that your post was incorrect.

Now, care to rephrase that statement? And yes, I'm aware I'm being rude.

Allow me to try and explain things so there's no further confusion. My personal belief is that Season two will contain the following: Sighs, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight, Disappearance(obviously), and (should they want an Episode 00) Haruhi Theatre part one. Naturally, I also expect another anime-original story, but there's no telling what that'd be. However, I also believe that Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is the only one that will be included for its significance.
Old 2008-05-30, 13:04   Link #1054
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Yes, you are being rude. That's your problem, not mine.

The cat need to be introduced because he is a character of the show. KyonAni don't change things unless they had to, and you completely ignored my point that Signs need to be animated more for Haruhi's sake. (Though I know you ignored it just to be annoying.)

And I say Haruhi returns to the limelight later, but I didn't say she was going to be in the limelight ALONE.

Haruhi shares screen time with the rest of SOS-dan, because by then the cast would have expended to include the antagonists. If each person in the group still act independently by then, the cast would be scattered all over the place and Kyon wouldn't be able to witness all of the important events.

No, I will not rephrase my statement. Have a nice day; you are going to need it.
Old 2008-05-30, 13:20   Link #1055
typhonsentra

The cat already has been introduced, and it has spoken in the show. It just hasn't been established that it's Kyon's pet.
Old 2008-05-30, 14:18   Link #1056
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
you completely ignored my point that Signs need to be animated more for Haruhi's sake. (Though I know you ignored it just to be annoying.)
Seems we're both doing a bit of "ignoring." Let me try something...

Quote:
You: "... the missing arc concerning introduction of the cat...."

Me: "... the only really 'vital' parts of Sighs concerning Shamisen are how Kyon ended up with him and why he talked... the former is 'explained' during volume four and the latter... well, really isn't 'explained' anyway(he just started talking )"

You: "I would imagine 'how Kyon ended up with him' is too vital to cut out."

Me: "Then Endless Eight has to be included simply because of the frog suit in the anime-only Someday in the Rain."

You: "Not quite. It IS true Endless Eight will most likely be showcased, but not because of the frogsuit."

Me: "Yet it's perfectly fine to list Shamisen -- whose presence is explained in the scene in Disappearance where he actually becomes relevant -- as one of the primary reasons for Sighs to be adapted. Yes, that makes perfect sense.[/sarc]"
Do you see where I was trying to go with this now?
Old 2008-05-30, 14:28   Link #1057
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Wait, Shamisen is relevant in Disappearance?

Sure, he's relevant in Where Did the Cat Go?, Vol. 7, and Wandering Shadow, but I don't remember him having any importance in Vol. 4...

By the way, I fully expect them to animate all the stories up to The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina, chronologically.

Disappearance will take up 5 episodes at most.
Old 2008-05-30, 15:24   Link #1058
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Um, I think you are trying to create circular reasoning for no purpose.

The cat is a character that is used a few times and at least central to the plot at least once if not twice. An actual introduction and at least placement of him in Kyon's household would be standard storytelling practice. It could possibly be done without Sighs, but Sighs would be fun to see anyway.

The frogsuit, as far as I know, is not central to any plotline. It is visual fluff material. However Endless Eight is a must animate for other reasons.
Old 2008-05-30, 15:29   Link #1059
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

The thing with Disappearance is that the fans who don't or have not read the light novels yet, I wonder how they will take in the disappearance with the shows favorite heroine will be gone for a good 5 episodes or more.

But ever since the announcement of season 2 isn't an update on the status of season 2 overdue already? Maybe Kyoto Animations is having a hard time keeping up with both Haruhi season 2 and Clannad ~After Story~.
Old 2008-05-30, 16:25   Link #1060
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It depends. Who is or will be the favorite heronine of the series? The Haruhi-Yuki debate is large and widespread. Poor Mikuru generally gets left behind in the debate. Plus Haruhi won't be gone the entire time. I'd say just maybe two episodes. More if they make it longer than five episodes for the story.

(Though Kyonko is gaining ground even without being a canon character.)

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen