Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-18, 05:39   Link #20241
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Just for giggles, and because no one talks about them at all, how about I list the non-Republican and non-Democractic choices for President in this election year:

So, Roseanne Barr is running for the Green Party.....

I could definitely see at least some of them being better than Santorum.

Quote:
Terry Jones, pastor known for publicly burning Qurans, of Florida
Not this guy though. He is just as bad as Santorum. I remember that guy. Book burnings are never good.
Old 2012-03-18, 06:32   Link #20242
Tom Bombadil

The price of a life? In Afghanistan, it's as little as $210

Quote:
The United States usually pays up to $2,500 for civilians killed in lawful operations such as air strikes, according to an investigation by CIVIC, a rights advocacy group. The study, compiled two years ago, has been regularly updated.
I am a bit shocked to see that Reuters actually post articles like this. I have considered them lap dogs of the defense industry for quite some time.
Old 2012-03-18, 07:17   Link #20243
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
The price of a life? In Afghanistan, it's as little as $210

I am a bit shocked to see that Reuters actually post articles like this. I have considered them lap dogs of the defense industry for quite some time.
Maybe they owned too many short positions in Feburary due to the Singapore Airshow, and they can't liquidate the positions without a loss?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-18, 13:42   Link #20244
Autumn Demon
~

Last week was a bad one for public radio in America.

First up, This American Life retracted their story about Apple's Foxconn factory in China. Regardless of the inaccuracies in the story, it's important to remember what working conditions are like in other factories in China.

Second, NPR's Melissa Block invited three commentators to "consider solutions in Syria". All three of the commentators want to go to war with Syria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiWar's John Walsh
For Slaughter time is of the essence, because there is “brutality on an extraordinary scale” in Syria (There are indeed 7000 dead in Syria – thousands on each side of the civil war there.) Enter the second guest Paul Wolfowitz whose Iraq war has resulted in the deaths of 1.4 million Iraqis and the displacement of 4 million. That, however, is not to be considered “brutality on an extraordinary scale.” Of course the U.S. was not killing its own people in Iraq but other people – which seems to make it OK. Block and her editors apparently were clueless about the irony of this juxtaposition of Slaughter’s claim and Wolfowitz’s appearance.
As an avid listener of NPR and PRI programs, it's depressing to me how statist public radio is.
Old 2012-03-18, 14:19   Link #20245
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post

First up, This American Life retracted their story about Apple's Foxconn factory in China. Regardless of the inaccuracies in the story, it's important to remember what working conditions are like in other factories in China.
OTOH... you don't see retractions on commercial news like this (and they certainly get it wrong a LOT). I don't even consider TAL to be a "hard news" source, its more slice-of-life and yet they're going to great pains to correct their error.
Quote:
Second, NPR's Melissa Block invited three commentators to "consider solutions in Syria". All three of the commentators want to go to war with Syria.

As an avid listener of NPR and PRI programs, it's depressing to me how statist public radio is.
It isn't "statist" , it is *corporatist* because the US government defunded public radio (GOP pressure at supposed bias in reporting). Public broadcast in the US is almost entirely in the hands of corporate funding now. So follow the money, who stands to profit from committing military forces to Syria (as if we had the resources to sustain that as well as Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan/NorthKorea/etc)

OTOH, I'm betting Melissa just messed up with her selection of commentators ... she seems to get caught flat-footed more often than other people on staff, errrrrr.
Old 2012-03-18, 14:39   Link #20246
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Demon View Post

The worst thing about this debacle is that from now on legitimate claims of worker abuses in Chinese factories will be more easily cast aside, all because of some guy inventing stories of abuse and duping a reputed program into broadcasting it.

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't trust the writing of "antiwar.com". Just a brief glance of the article makes me feel like reading Fox News. It tries to downplay the "brutality on an extraordinary scale" by comparing it to the bloated number of deaths in Iraq War, which has absolutely nothing to do with the Syria Crisis. It grossly overstates the number of deaths in Iraq (1.4 mil deaths instead of 100k~200k in most figures) and cleverly words the sentence such that US army seems responsible for all of the deaths. It calls one guest (Serwer) an interventionist but his analysis looks pretty objective to me - that any military action will be very involved and the US have no stomach for it, and that Russia and China won't go along after what happened in Libya. Its only legit complain is that none of the guests is an active non-interventionist.

I am not in favour of military intervention in Syria, but that is a very poor article.
Old 2012-03-18, 15:35   Link #20247
GundamFan0083

$100 to Fly Through the Airport

http://online.wsj.com/article/the_middle_seat.html

So for $100.00 in protection money, you can skip the TSA grope.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:55   Link #20248
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
The worst thing about this debacle is that from now on legitimate claims of worker abuses in Chinese factories will be more easily cast aside, all because of some guy inventing stories of abuse and duping a reputed program into broadcasting it.
he is claiming artist license.
Old 2012-03-18, 18:57   Link #20249
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Many willing to cut Afghan shooting suspect slack
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-18-19-47-06
Old 2012-03-18, 19:28   Link #20250
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Many willing to cut Afghan shooting suspect slack
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-18-19-47-06
Yet... many military personnel who have experienced the same over-use and over-deployment don't appreciate that "slack" being offered since THEY managed to avoid mass murder execution style behavior.

Really.. talk about "apologist" bull shit...
Old 2012-03-18, 19:36   Link #20251
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I just don't think the human mind is meant for these types of conflicts. Saying that doesn't solve anything, but it's kind of one of those things where I shrug my shoulders... If you're going to go to war and twist the minds of these people, what can you expect? Yeah, there are some badass/psycho/tough mofos out there that can come out of war unscathed... and most people keep the mental scars to themselves... but I see people going completely nuts as inevitable.
Old 2012-03-18, 19:38   Link #20252
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

There's almost always some ''apologist'' to such even, what would be more interesting would be who is giving him ''slack'' and why they do so.
Old 2012-03-18, 19:47   Link #20253
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Justification or not, it would still be good to find out "why". Even lunatics have reasons, as demented as they might be.

The crime is still there. It won't disappear. It may be forgotten, but it won't go away.

Though they still need to prove he did it, and isn't just covering for someone else (like an officer, or a larger group of people). Or that he wasn't following orders (illegal ones) designed to instill fear in the locals.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:28   Link #20254
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'm sure most of the people in this nation that want him to be given some slack are people that view middle easterners as sub-humans and don't see the massacre being as bad as it is.

Yeah, the guy got messed up psychologically, but that never justifies shooting up innocents. And yeah, like Ithekro said, what if this guy is covering up for someone or some people? That'd be real messed up.

Virginia teacher under fire for racism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D144482

Yeah, that teacher is a dumb ass.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:25   Link #20255
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Some days it is pretty hard not wanting to slap the shit out of people of my own pigment range because so many of them are dumb as rocks.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:37   Link #20256
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some days it is pretty hard not wanting to slap the shit out of people of my own pigment range because so many of them are dumb as rocks.
Now that is just racist, Vexx-jiji. Dumbasses comes in all pigments, and are all equally deserving of a bitchslap. Let's not fall into the "some are more equal than others" treatment here.

*runs*
Old 2012-03-19, 03:42   Link #20257
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Now that is just racist, Vexx-jiji. Dumbasses comes in all pigments, and are all equally deserving of a bitchslap. Let's not fall into the "some are more equal than others" treatment here.

*runs*
Even gender doesn't stop the amount of facepalming that requires.

So. Many. Uses.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:51   Link #20258
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

*runs*
That is animalist; why are you specifically picking out donkeys? And with the punishment "bitchslap", aren't you also being sexist by administering a punishment related to the female gender?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2012-03-19 at 04:01.
Old 2012-03-19, 03:55   Link #20259
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

*runs*
The thing is than some are showing their ''dumbassness'' than others, especialy on racial matter, and they happen to be on the same pigment range .
Old 2012-03-19, 10:56   Link #20260
GundamFan0083

Brazil Oil Spill: Chevron Executives Barred From Leaving Country

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1355923.html

4 killed in shooting at French Jewish school

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/19/world/...ing/index.html

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-03-19 at 11:37.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international