AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-05-19, 17:40   Link #21
GreatTeacherKen

Greatly looking forward to this. Loved the Indiana Jones franchise since I was a kid.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 01:48   Link #22
thr

Let me be the first to speak (or write) my mind. I saw Crystal Skull yesterday. The theater was packed. There was quite a bit of spontaneous applause in the first third. But as for the rest of the movie: silence and bored yawns. I didn't know Spielberg had something like that in him. IMHO it's not just a bad Indiana Jones movie, it's a bad movie all around. Seriously, this is not even on par with The Mummy. No, this is not even on par with Chamberlain's outings as Allan Quatermain.
thr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 01:59   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I will say one of the better reviews of it even noted the problem of "missed opportunities".
Spoiler for example he mentioned that may spoil for someone:

I'm generally hearing its a decent Saturday afternoon matinee flick but has some flaws in the same way every movie after the first one had flaws.
Old 2008-05-22, 02:02   Link #24
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Well, Sean's a bit old for acting.
*slaps this guy*

Welcome to the rock!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 02:25   Link #25
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
*slaps this guy*

Welcome to the rock!
Er... you mean...?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 10:40   Link #26
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

*sniff*

I watched the movie tonight and I really wanted to like it, but I'm afraid I agree with thr:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thr
There was quite a bit of spontaneous applause in the first third. But as for the rest of the movie: silence and bored yawns.
The stunts were good, but there were too few of them, compared to the earlier movies. The latter two thirds of Crystal Skull plodded along more than it needed to. I don't remember Indiana being so talkative, and worse, he has grown pedantic with old age, clobbering the audience with none-too-subtle references to McCarthyism. This reeks of Lucas, I'm afraid. Dammit, Lucas, "Stop hurting us!" You're a good producer, but you seriously suck as a writer.

If it's any consolation though, the few stunts and set pieces that survived the final cut are classic Indiana Jones, well worth the price of admission. But I wouldn't go so far as to call Crystal Skull good value for money.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 10:56   Link #27
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

I finished the film, and perhaps said goodbye to my boyhood for the last time, as Indy will probably never adventure again thanks to:
Spoiler:

I pray to all the deities that there will be a Number Five. Though if there is not, I have to say this is a farewell that is as fond and respectful one as can be.

Goodbye Henry Jones Junior. Waited for you for 19 years, and it was worth it.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 17:41   Link #28
Tiberium Wolf

The movie wasn't bad in my opinion.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-22, 20:27   Link #29
gaguri

Quote:
Welcome to the rock!
That's an awesome movie d(0,0)b.

This wasn't a great film but it was full of cheap fun. Lots of cheese and loads of bullshits (remember the tarzan scene just to name one?) but I laughed at them instead of face-palming at them. It's been AGES since I saw the last Indiana Jones movie (don't even remember what they were like) and I want to watch them all once again. From what I feebly remember anyway, this wasn't good as any of previous Jones, but I still think people can have boat load of fun from it if for what it is, and not as one of great, classic, Indiana Jones.
gaguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 20:28   Link #30
klowny
OH NO

i'm planning to see this movie this week hoping it will be worth the wait
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 06:30   Link #31
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

I really love the fact that for the first time, Indy actually WINS his obligatory "fistfight against a big-guy" not through luck, but through sheer skill and actually K.O-ing his opponent, who happens to be his biggest, toughest, most skilled and vicious opponent yet....

Go Indy Go!!
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 07:58   Link #32
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Aquila View Post
I pray to all the deities that there will be a Number Five. (
As I said earlier, they are already wrote the plot of the fifth movie. Maybe they're trying to do a new trilogy, like with Star Wars.
Solais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 09:29   Link #33
Rurik
Golden

I liked more the parts where Indiana was trying to uncover the mysteries behind the Cristal skull whereas I really did not enjoy the action sequences.

Overall, I did not liked the movie, and IMO, it is nowhere near any of the 3 Other Indiana Jones movie.
Old 2008-05-24, 21:00   Link #34
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I liked more the parts where Indiana was trying to uncover the mysteries behind the Cristal skull whereas I really did not enjoy the action sequences.

Overall, I did not liked the movie, and IMO, it is nowhere near any of the 3 Other Indiana Jones movie.
Say word.

I just saw it yesterday (Friday) with a few friends. It was All right. A few good scenes here and there, and before anything, props to Harrison Ford for still being able to pull off a good Indy. I didn't like that old lady that Indy hooked up with (again, because they had a child together before).

Other than a few good moments though, everything was all right, it's the usual good adventures of Indiana Jones, but when it all comes down, the first three were absolutely AMAZING. Spielberg and cast really had to meet some serious expectations. I guess it did reach my expectations... But I want it to exceed my expectations...

Anyways, it is worth your while to check it out. Depending on what kind of person you are, you may or may not find the excitement from the previous installments, but it's enough to satisfy. After all, it IS Indiana Jones.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 23:51   Link #35
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I saw it. I liked it. Some parts were just a bit corny, but I don't care. The movie still earns a solid 8/10 for me. It had some great action, and funny random moments.
Old 2008-05-31, 11:51   Link #36
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Er... you mean...?
Just how old (or young) are you? Did you not watch The Rock?

Anyway, it wasn't a bad film in terms of a return to a beloved franchise. The last time I saw a "Lucasfilm" title on a cinema screen was in Star Wars Episode III three years ago, and I'll admit I'm still awed at watching a movie involving Lucas, and this time he has Steven Speilberg, Harrison Ford and John Williams working with him again.

Indy is definitely showing his age here, but it doesn't take anything away from his charm. Shia LeBeouf did well as the young arrogant sidekick. Never knew Cate Blanchett could do so well as a villain before, I think this is her first time playing a villain. John Hurt is class as usual.

Some parts were certainly over the top, like Indy surviving a nuclear blast by hiding in a lead-lining fridge and Mutt doing a Tarzan with the vines, but it's bearable.

Plenty of references to the previous movies (like the Ark of the Covenant, Marcus and Indy's dad), as well as the return of Marion, probably as a way to end the debate once and for all to who he should end up with. If this is the end of the series, it's a satisfactory end, if not a superb one.

And it seems Lucas just likes to import that infamous Star Wars cliche into this Indy movie: "I have a bad feeling about this."

BTW, I liked the part where they fell down three waterfalls in quick succession, I sense a new theme park ride here.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote