AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-08-19, 21:07   Link #161
KillaManiac

I just finished this anime in one sitting and I have to post something.

This anime definitely has some of the saddest moments in all the ton of anime I have seen.

Episode 9-10 with Akemi and Akemi's dad were seriously heart breaking IMO.

I have never teared up in a Anime before until this one and the only movie that has teared me up was "Pay it Forward".

Cheer on this amazingly sad anime!
KillaManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 21:33   Link #162
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Give the manga a shot. I think of it as an alternate take on the story. Also, check out the OVA.

Seiyu-wise: Definitely a feather in Fumiko's cap. Shinichiro's work as Tetsu also stands out.
Old 2009-08-19, 21:45   Link #163
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Yeap, Saikano is definitively one of the best "Sad" anime series I've ever seen and that closing song "Sayonara" really touches your heart at the end of each ep... I remember sitting there watching that ending all sad and stuff..

I respect this series so much I haven't watched it again, not because I didn't like it but because it really breaks your heart...
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 21:57   Link #164
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Although as a history student, I do disagree with the anvil that war is bad. Some of humanity's destinies have been decided in the battlefield.

When that WWI vet who died recently said that the war he fought in wasn't worth one life, I disagreed. The direct impact of WWI destroyed 4 empires, and paved the way to a conflict which manages to make Germany and France friends from bitter enemies in the 19th century.
Old 2009-08-20, 02:03   Link #165
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Although as a history student, I do disagree with the anvil that war is bad. Some of humanity's destinies have been decided in the battlefield.

When that WWI vet who died recently said that the war he fought in wasn't worth one life, I disagreed. The direct impact of WWI destroyed 4 empires, and paved the way to a conflict which manages to make Germany and France friends from bitter enemies in the 19th century.
ahh excuse me but ...........WTF? R u talking about? (no offense meant)
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 05:45   Link #166
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Some viewers correctly pointed out that SaiKano carried an anti-war message. What I'm saying is that I disagree with that notion.

And really, if you think deeper into the military technology of the series, the research is hardly done at all. Of course, I let it go, as this is not a war series. But sorry, I'm feeling fine even after that anvil.
Old 2009-08-20, 10:19   Link #167
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You make it seem as if history could not be made without war. And if that is indeed what you implying, I would not really be proud of this fact, given that it would mark humanity as a definitely flawed species that cannot solve inner conflicts without resort to self destruction.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 11:06   Link #168
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I think ol' Plato says it better.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War" -Plato

I have Sun Zi's first line in the Art of War in mind: War, is an important affair for the state. It is a matter of life and death, a matter of survival or destruction. It cannot be taken lightly. The best war is the war that is never fought. 不战而屈人之兵,善之善者也。

Also, I believe in this: If you're flawed, that means you still can move upwards. If you're perfect, the only way left to go is downward.
Old 2009-08-20, 11:14   Link #169
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

That's no reason to relish in your imperfection though, which you give the impression to be doing. One thing is to accept war as a matter of fact and as something that eventually happens to most states. (though personally I'm an admirer of long neutral countries and the principle of neutrality). Another is to say anti-war movements are fatally flawed or useless, since I think that by their very nature any movement that at least tries us to get us out of the imperfection that is war is a good one.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 11:17   Link #170
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Hence, my frequent references to the Art of War. Despite being named as such, its most important lesson is: Don't start a war. If you must, use any and every means to get it over and done with ASAP. To do anything otherwise is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 2009-11-09, 17:35   Link #171
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Does the anime cover everything in the manga and is the ending faithful to to it?
Old 2009-11-11, 23:16   Link #172
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Anime and manga are somewhat different. Do take a look at both.
Old 2009-11-13, 11:27   Link #173
Solafighter
Hige

One year ago, i watched the anime.

2 weeks ago, i finished reading the manga.

They are both very good, but i prefer the manga a bit more.
Old 2010-03-02, 12:05   Link #174
Animelover#1
Kouta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely View Post
I didnt find it sad because you never really got to know the side characters that well so I didnt care if they died or not. Also, I was desensitized to all the death and violence. By the end, I knew everyone was going to die and I was like "oh well"
Way to spoil it. (I already watched it but some people may not have.)

Personally I loved this anime, however the ending was hard to get your head round.
Spoiler for Contains the ending of the anime. Dont read if you don't want to spoil.:
Animelover#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 13:28   Link #175
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animelover#1 View Post
Spoiler for Contains the ending of the anime. Dont read if you don't want to spoil.:
That still stands as one of the most depressing episodes i've ever experienced.
Old 2010-03-03, 14:18   Link #176
Animelover#1
Kouta...

yes I agree but

Spoiler for for Ef: A tale of melodies:
Animelover#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-09, 07:32   Link #177
AkasuraBoshi

Saikano was a truly great story, deserves the name the last love story on this little planet. and as you all know... maybe some unneccesary deaths and such but i really love this manga and anime, i havent read all the way to the end in the manga but i spoiled the ending by reading the last chapter(and i FU**ING REGRET IT). well glad to know to know the sub team put a warning at the end of episode 10 saying all the hapiness ends here. (though ima still see to the end). Shuji was ugly compared to the manga lol. i think chises voice couldive been better,maybe a bit more cuter?. and shujis friends voice couldnt been better too,the girl who died in the bed.Also it was so sad when chise killed shujis friend -.-. well overall it was amazing XD.
AkasuraBoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-04, 21:37   Link #178
tyciol
*Artist

Is this the whole story or could there possibly be another season, or basically just OVAs?
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 13:43   Link #179
ViewtifulAlchemist

I don't think there will be more of Saikano, they pretty much warp things in both anime and manga.

Not really much else to do after

Spoiler:

There is an OVA sidestory which actually pretty good but that seems to be it really the series in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That still stands as one of the most depressing episodes i've ever experienced.
Heh I feel the same almost. It's either that or Rahxephon ep.19 for me.

Sig by Jze0
ViewtifulAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance