AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-10-10, 21:41   Link #41
Dr_Easylove

wow

i cant beleive people are bashing the engrish in this (srin tuar was bashing it anyway) you have to understand that if it were any more perfect it would no longer be engrish but instead it would be english . as far as engrish goes, its the best ive ever heard. i laughed my ass off, and it was pretty damn beleiveable. true they could have gotten a real english speaker to do it but it has a cool effect this way, one we call engrish. if it were absoltley perfect then we would be like. "wow, english... big deal, i can do that too." (well, some of us would anyway...)

in conclusion, if you want good english read Shakespeare.

if you want good engrish watch Beck.

(ps: i know shakespeare spelled almost every word wrong and often made others up, but i think you get my point)
Dr_Easylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 22:55   Link #42
Avacado Burger
Senpai, we musn't!!!

Actually, that english/engrish from the soldiers did sound natural, well at least the accent and pronunciation. The delivery was a bit forced though, as if a native english speaker was reading off cue cards. Uhmm.. Kudos to Beck for having the best engrish I've heard in an anime.

I've never read the manga, but I did enjoy the 1st episode. Is it like Gravitation without the gay, or does it focus more on the rock aspect rather than relationships?
Avacado Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 00:37   Link #43
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

That was excellent. Such style, animation, and concept, getting the manga as I speak.
Melty Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 04:33   Link #44
acidjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacado Burger
I've never read the manga, but I did enjoy the 1st episode. Is it like Gravitation without the gay, or does it focus more on the rock aspect rather than relationships?
I don't know gravitation, but in BECK there are many rock aspects and also important relationships, they blend together really well and that's one really good point of the manga, let's see how the anime recreates that.

About the ending theme, i think it's really cool, kind of reminds me of sonic youth. In the ending we can see many rock stars, as Kurt Cobain of course, and Freddy Mercury, Bob Marley, James Brown i think (or Miles Davis)... are there any others ? Maybe the Ramones guys
acidjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 06:08   Link #45
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Hehe the series is named after a dog. :P
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 07:15   Link #46
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avacado Burger
Actually, that english/engrish from the soldiers did sound natural, well at least the accent and pronunciation. The delivery was a bit forced though, as if a native english speaker was reading off cue cards. Uhmm.. Kudos to Beck for having the best engrish I've heard in an anime.
Hrm... I want some of what youre smoking.

It wasnt even close. Maybe if you asked the marine to read each word separately, then pretaped each word individually and edited them back into the audio, you might could maybe get something like what they had in the show.

I have no problem when they pretend "Engrish == fluent" in most shows, but in this show it was highly distracting.

Anyway, fubar engrish aside, I liked the show. I dont think I could recommend it to anyone. I'd never hear the end of it.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 13:58   Link #47
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

It pained my ears too, but the soldiers were just bad voice actors, not bad english.

Now ryuuske, that was some fubar english ;p
Old 2004-10-12, 22:17   Link #48
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I didn't read this thread or look the show up prior to watching the first episode... Beck seems to be the kind of show that I like... the music is that kind of generic pop rock, but I really liked the characters... I also liked the extensive profanity... I didn't think that this fall line-up of anime was gonna be any good... but shows like Bleach, Beck and SunaBozu all look pretty interesting...

I think AE did a nice job with the translation notes in the first episode... LMF uses a similar method... it is a good effect and it's not distracting imo...
Old 2004-10-13, 02:54   Link #49
jalana
Editorizor of Fansubs

Engrish and accents aside...

I'm just waiting to see how the songs will sound. Songs like "Sister," "Human Fly," and "Tabasco" played such an important role in the manga... let's see if the songs the series comes up with fit.
jalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 09:34   Link #50
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

Thanks my fellow otakus!

Well, based on the positive reviews in this thread I decided to give this new series a try - and I have to say it looks promising! Good vibes were gotten right from the start with the opening animation and the OP was great. Love the dog too, he looks like a chipper version of the Dog of Frankenstein.

Am now inspired to check out the manga as well!

...i was born to hit in america i was born to hit in america ...
(happy anime fan happily singing the lovely engrish op)
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 17:42   Link #51
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I'm really hoping that the dog's fur is dyed. Otherwise it is just too sick looking.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 22:11   Link #52
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I liked the first episode and how can any of you guys not love the engrish in this episode. Its freakin hilarious! Anywhoo definitly gonna follow this series and hope for more engrish in future eps .

Oh and BTW the art style reminds me alot of FLCL. Is it done by the same group?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 05:00   Link #53
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

Beck anime is being done by Studio Madhouse, character design by Motonobu Hori, and according to those in the know, the style and character designs are pretty faithful to the original by mangaka Harold Sakuishi. Don't think any of them were involved in FLCL!
As for the dog, it definitely looks as if he's had stitching done.
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 05:20   Link #54
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'm really hoping that the dog's fur is dyed. Otherwise it is just too sick looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s'my
As for the dog, it definitely looks as if he's had stitching done.
As a fan of the manga, my take is that the dog has had stitching done. Not mentioned in the manga though but there are clues in the manga about it.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 13:33   Link #55
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

Don't know who Motnobu Hori is, but the character designs sort of reminded me of Koi Kaze anime. Anyway, the engrish is kind of funny but really, it's better than 99% of the other engrish that appears in anime and I give them major props for that. The long haired kid sounds all drunk like Rocky! =D
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 20:43   Link #56
Fated

You know I really don't get why everyone is talking about engrish yeah so it aint some fancy "American English" WHO CARES. Talk with a Scot, Irish or heck try talking to a Welshman who tries to communicate in proper English, 99.99% talk with an accent even though it's still a type of English. If you ask me they did a decent job......Thank god they didn't ask some Texan to do it.
Fated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 02:02   Link #57
Nishi`Joichiro
Last Survivor

Beat crusaders are insane.....i recently saw a video of them....all i can say that these guys are nuts.
Nishi`Joichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 02:43   Link #58
truesayian

Send a message via AIM to truesayian
Anybody know when the next episdoe will air in japan?
truesayian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 05:19   Link #59
Fated

with next ep you mean ep3 right ?

2004年10月20日放送 ( 20th of oktober )
Fated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 13:58   Link #60
Soul Bro Ryu
Your Neighborhood Newtype

Send a message via ICQ to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via AIM to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via MSN to Soul Bro Ryu Send a message via Yahoo to Soul Bro Ryu
I'm no expert on spoken Japanese, but for those here who are fluent in the language and watched "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" thought that the gaijin actors in it did a decent job speaking it? Or did it sound like a reverse example of the awkward quality of English presented in Beck's 1st episode?

I remember watching "Blood: The Last Vampire" and remarking that the two female leads did a really great job in juggling Japanese and English-speaking lines throught the production, and had wondered if it would be the start of something new in anime. A few years later, we now have Beck and I was hoping that it would have the same quality of bi-lingual seiyuu that Blood had.

Not that the English in Beck wasn't competient, but it was pretty awkward. I thought it was hilarious, but during the scenes that were conveyed, I'm sure laughter wasn't something the staff was aiming for.

(Question for Stephen: When you guys translated the manga, did you all leave the English-quotes intact in the panels or made it more comprehensive English? I'm thinking it's the former...)

Some of the quality of the lines written in the show also didn't make sense.

Ryusuke "Ray" Minami: "I don't know about your town...but my friends in New York died!!!"

(Snicker) Alright, I'm just gonna' surmise that that he meant, "I don't know about your town, but my friends in New York died over bullshit like this!!!" or something like that. ^_^

Then again maybe I'm asking for too much. Thanks to this series uniqueness, I'm sure Beck will get picked up for a domestic release, and if so we'll have a dub to look forward to- and dread. Personally, I can't think of any other way to watch this show but in it's original language, but if the producers of a State-side version are smart they could do something dope like a special audio track as a bonus. One that combines the original seiyuu for the Japanese cast while having English VA's do the voices for English speaking characters. Since they weren't able to find a dude that could pull off Ryusuke's speaking voice smoothly in English, maybe they could find one in L.A., Texas, or Canada that can rock the lingo in both languages. Not to diss the poor cat that does Ryusuke's voice, but after hearing him say "scratched" I knew that he might be headed for trouble later on when the show...well, like other have said look as the series opening and you can guess where Beck will end up.

And if they don't have decent English-speaking VA's by that point, I'm gonna be in for a laugh riot in the later eps. ^_^

Love this show, love the manga. Can't wait to see more. BTW, Ep. 2 aired didn't it?
Soul Bro Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance, shounen