AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-03-29, 01:07   Link #1161
tsunade666

not really doing campione but magic stuff?

lets just pass it as searching for a magic?
Old 2013-03-29, 01:09   Link #1162
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I find it easily to have a deity in mind then working out the spell, rather than the other way around though...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 01:13   Link #1163
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Beh who cares 'bout magic sword if you have BFG behold the power of science AKA [ Beam spam ]

Spoiler for talk about being anti climatic:
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 06:03   Link #1164
whitecloud

or magic like the one in mahouka rettousei, like cocytus (mind freeze), mist dispersal, and its extension material burst

in that series magic is practically science with the use of chips, and electronics to cast magic and is different from personal reality as well, except ancient magic there is no deity, creepy ritual and the likes...the anglican church will be pulling their hairs out....
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 06:20   Link #1165
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's call Magitech.
Old 2013-03-29, 06:26   Link #1166
tsunade666

the ancient magic in mahouka is practically can be said the same as ancient magic in japan where the expertise lies in spirit or astral magic. While the modern magic or current magic in mahouka is categories in 8 changes if I remember it right. The magic in mahouka sometimes is just too.... long for explanation that you need to read it again to even understand it but its mostly scientific but has its still magic in a way that they consider magic when there are changes in reality which can be the same for esper but the term they used there is eidos. Change in eidos instead of mana.

the mystic code there or medium for magic is dub as cad where you input the formula which is like the magic circle in terms for the native occult stuff.

Mahouka is indeed a good story for magic too. My only problem there is well.... -__- the shiba siblings relation ship with imouto being over possessive. I'm not much of a fan for that particular theme though which also surprised me when I actually liked oreimo.

@ friend kaizerknight01 hahaha you also read that manga. Too bad the translation is slow but indeed that story is good. When you look at the novel. You will see lots of settings that involve there per each story of the girls/heroine. Laser gun isn't the last of sci fi weapon you will see
Old 2013-03-29, 06:31   Link #1167
whitecloud

Yeah the guy is cheating...laser gun to defeat dragon...when he supposed to used holy sword...basically cross story cheating with multiple heroine the manga is funny...
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 06:39   Link #1168
tsunade666

actually Rekka DID GET

Spoiler:

the magitect technology was also being teach by Crowley right? from what I read before when we are discussing the book of laws. Magitech was been mentioned.
Old 2013-03-29, 06:58   Link #1169
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Crowley teaches a different style of magic that doesn't require any of the old world Deities I think. He also made huge improvements in the study of magic that wasn't seen in the centuries before.

Remember what Birdway had said about writing with your left foot? Not only is he writing with his left foot, but he has done it in a way that makes it better than those using their right hand to write.

Anyway the Magitech I'm talking about is literally using machines for magic, or have a very scientific method of casting spells. Mahouka fits this, and so does Nanoha.
Old 2013-03-29, 07:10   Link #1170
tsunade666

Aleister uses the machines attach to him in refining his life force. Its practically the one producing his magic and prolonging his life.

Nanoha has sketchy math and just pump mana into the device and let it rip. While in mahouka you need programs for your cad to use magic.
Old 2013-03-29, 07:29   Link #1171
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Aleister uses the machines attach to him in refining his life force. Its practically the one producing his magic and prolonging his life.
Magitech is more like a method than a source.

Quote:
Nanoha has sketchy math and just pump mana into the device and let it rip. While in mahouka you need programs for your cad to use magic.
There are formulas involve in Nanoha as well.
Old 2013-03-29, 08:06   Link #1172
tsunade666

magic formulas and magic circles with summoner, cyborg, then vampires and lots and lots more to add to it of whatever the staff behind it think they can add to nanohaverse. But really =_= its more on massive amount of magic and pump it into your device then zenryoku zenkai blast away the enemies. That's most of the thing I remember in nanoha, a's, strikers, then the 2 manga adaptation that I rarely read. though there are variation for vivid but the same can be said for force -_-

I'm not a fan of forceful power strike which is why I don't like material burst that much but Tatsuya's other spell like for destroying spell and disintegrating targets are okay for me. Huge explosions aren't really just my thing -_- they can be cuy, deflect or nullify, depending on the situation and settings.

I consider magic or ability that can read the enemies movement, predict the future, or ability to sense danger, much more appealing. And lets not talk about imagine breaker with it only effective on Touma's right hand. It can be considered hax but the same time its only on his right hand! there are lots of ways to kill him but none happens because Touma actually thinks. Even peppered by guns won't kill him easily though he admits it feels like hell when actually gotten hit by one.

A much more restricted and much more creative ability is what I like more. The type that you can play with while imagining different type of scenarios.

Its much more exciting than blasting your opponent -_-
Old 2013-03-29, 09:03   Link #1173
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
the first one is a vicious, merciless, wicked and like rabid god. The type that is pure malevolent of evil or so his exterior projects but the truth is his legend might be shrouded by his/her wildness and craziness but he/she is kind in the inside and has a connection to healing or revitalization or resurrection or maybe reincarnation. I need an authority that can be both dangerous and can heal. I don't plan to do the kiss thing to just heal someone (though maybe not all the time )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nature_deities

Quote:
the other god is a god of trickery and not Loki (yet, have plans for that guy) I'm looking for a god that is known for his kindness to his people that he/she ended up being sacrifice or betraying the people for his wicked plan. A god of betrayal and destruction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster

Quote:
Finally is a god of pure evil that the other gods even are scared of him. The authority that can be usurped are the likes that aim to KILL or corrupt a weapon to deal inside and out damage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_deities
Old 2013-03-29, 13:43   Link #1174
Ashaman

Do all spells use Idol Theory?
Old 2013-03-29, 15:19   Link #1175
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Do all spells use Idol Theory?
It is not necessary, but 98% likely so.

Quote:
“This magic power is manufactured from the power that humans naturally possess, so it can be controlled relatively easily by the human will. But commands are needed for that purpose. It is possible to construct them from nothing, but that is just too inefficient. It’s much easier to reference an already existing legend or story. After all, the legends that are still widely known today and have not been weeded out are the ones that have a suitable answer in them.”
Old 2013-03-29, 17:25   Link #1176
Ashaman

You see, that's what I'm not sure upon - I'm not convinced that that's Idol Theory in the "Borrowing Power" aspect though, what with all the power coming from the magician.

Its more like they are using the legends as blue prints for spells.

Its not Idol Theory, its plagerism in the face of lack of imagination and a healthy dose of laziness.
Old 2013-03-29, 17:28   Link #1177
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

If you're just referring to the power aspects, then we already know that magicians can fuel their own spells just fine.... Obvious exceptions aside.
Old 2013-03-29, 17:46   Link #1178
Ashaman

That's what I'm trying to say.

The fact that these spells fail to qualify as Idol Theory under the very most basic qualification of Idol Theory - that power is borrowed from an outside source- tells me that its not Idol Theory.
Old 2013-03-30, 01:07   Link #1179
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Would using the language of babel count as magic?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 01:33   Link #1180
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
That's what I'm trying to say.

The fact that these spells fail to qualify as Idol Theory under the very most basic qualification of Idol Theory - that power is borrowed from an outside source- tells me that its not Idol Theory.
but isn't an idol is an image carved to be an imitation of the higher beings. Idol theory when Index explains it is more like an explanation of religious beliefs but not technically accurate. maybe because its the way of believers but when Levinia explains it. Its become easily to be understand. Like in the case of Styl where he uses his life force for his spell. If he really is burrowing magic from outer plane then why use your own life force to be refined into mana?

To me its like imitating the higher beings and the believers believe that they can achieve the same miracle and miracle isn't handed down to anyone without doing anything to make it work or just have plain faith to make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Would using the language of babel count as magic?
sure its possible if you know the language.

Tags
hard science