AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > No Game No Life

Notices

Old 2014-06-24, 19:25   Link #901
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
I find that assessment pretty weird, as it misses the point completely.

If the series was glorifying NEETS and whatnot, the author wouldn't write a fantasy setup, but he'd rather put Sora and Shiro in real life situations like Kaiji and Akagi.
The simple fact they are not regretting their original world, and feel "reborn" hardly comfort NEETS for being "awesome". That's the complete opposite: they are great only because they are in a world that allow them to exploit their forte.

The moment they are back in their world, they will be nothing but "awesome gamers with nothing to deal with society and the likes".
In fact, the series is way more grim if you look this way: outside of disboard, Sora and Shiro are "just" gamers. Regardless how good they are, they won't survive long.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 19:34   Link #902
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptChaos View Post
^ Makes me wonder whether their decision to become hikikomoris was because of their superior intelligence and therefore was meant to be some kind of social criticism by the author towards nowadays society.
I think there is an evident criticism toward society by the author, though I'm not sure that what caused Sora and Shiro to become shut-ins is directly related to their superior intelligence.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 19:51   Link #903
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tot002 View Post
Spoiler for snip:
Way I see it, he does not hate the hikikomoris. It's the portrayal of empowerment and glorifying of hikikomoris that he hates, since he portrays Welcome to NHK in a positive light. I think his points does have merits, but 'misplaced'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Spoiler for snip:
Uhm, if you think Kaiji or Akagi is some sort of glorification towards gamblers then perhaps we have different definition of what 'glorification' means.
Old 2014-06-24, 19:51   Link #904
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo
I think there is an evident criticism toward society by the author, though I'm not sure that what caused Sora and Shiro to become shut-ins is directly related to their superior intelligence.
It seems so. But only Shiro's side of the story has been shown (in the anime, so far), where she spent most of her time being taught differently than the typical person because of her superior intellect.

I feel that for someone like Sora who could smile despite Shiro knowing at a glance that he's empty, his past is even more darker than Shiro's gray life.

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 35. Completed: 208. Plan to watch: 35.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 19:58   Link #905
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Uhm, if you think Kaiji or Akagi is some sort of glorification towards gamblers then perhaps we have different definition of what 'glorification' means.
I never implied it was some glorification for these series. Instead, if Sora and Shiro were in the same predicament, but with their quirks and ability to sail smoothly through games, THAT would be glorification, due to be ground to "realistic" games, yet breaking through as if it was nothing.

For obvious reasons, Kaiji and Akagi are absolutely not "glorifying" gamblers whatsoever due to their mindsets, means and purposes.
Old 2014-06-25, 08:18   Link #906
c933103
FTNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I never implied it was some glorification for these series. Instead, if Sora and Shiro were in the same predicament, but with their quirks and ability to sail smoothly through games, THAT would be glorification, due to be ground to "realistic" games, yet breaking through as if it was nothing.

For obvious reasons, Kaiji and Akagi are absolutely not "glorifying" gamblers whatsoever due to their mindsets, means and purposes.
can i believe that it mean you does not understand the whole series' setting?
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 08:38   Link #907
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
can i believe that it mean you does not understand the whole series' setting?
The whole point of NGNL is to follow the exaggerated yet entertaining path that Shiro and Sora pave accross several games.
Even with their hax skills, I still don't consider this series as a "neet pandering / glorifying" series due to the setup and the meaning of various choices the author deliberately took. If it was his intent, the author wouldn't need a fantasy setup, hence why I stated he could play even more hardball and use similar setting to Kaiji and Akagi, but with his own characters to make such kind of thing.

If there is anything else that indicate I "don't understand the series setting", I would like you to enlight me.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-06-25 at 08:53.
Old 2014-06-25, 09:47   Link #908
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

There is also something that need to be considered
The author wanted to break the usual trope of the character being thrown into another world who subsequently make a priority of finding a way to go back.

Now who, among those that live in a country like Japan, wouldn't even think for a single moment that they'd want to go back?

It must be someone that, of course, doesn't like his original world to begin with. But not only that, it must be someone that doesn't really have any attachment to the original world: friends, family and so on.

Hikikomori seems to be an extremely obvious choice here.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-25, 14:16   Link #909
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

So, how did the first DVD/BD Volume sell?
Old 2014-06-25, 15:42   Link #910
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

I read about 6k-7k somewhere. However I don't think it's been a week yet, correct if wrong.

EDIT: I have noticed that this anime has jumped places again and is now #18 on MyAnimeList's ranking of top anime. Yikes!

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2014-06-26 at 03:25.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 19:48   Link #911
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the author intended this as something of a criticism of the insular, conformist Japanese society, even if it were only subconsciously. Remember that he's from Brazil. Who wants to bet he's personally seen more than his fair share of the darker side of Japanese culture?

Or maybe he just wanted to turn "gaming stories" on their ear and this is what he came up with.

Reckoner's problem is a common one among critics, in that they take their subject matter far more seriously than the content creators do, much less the general audience. There's a tendency among some to assume that all stories have to have some kind of important underlying meaning. When they were in college or high school, all the literature and other storytelling media they encountered had to be looked at from the perspective of having deep, important meaning, so why wouldn't any worthwhile media also meet that criteria? It's a narrow way of thinking, but there's nothing particularly wrong with it. It's only natural for someone to view a situation from their own perspective, after all. When you're a carpenter, every problem is a nail.
Old 2014-06-30, 21:12   Link #912
Xacual
The color of a Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the author intended this as something of a criticism of the insular, conformist Japanese society, even if it were only subconsciously. Remember that he's from Brazil. Who wants to bet he's personally seen more than his fair share of the darker side of Japanese culture?
Considering he was bullied into dropping out of High School in Japan, I'd say it's a fair bet.
Old 2014-06-30, 21:22   Link #913
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Reckoner's problem is a common one among critics, in that they take their subject matter far more seriously than the content creators do, much less the general audience. There's a tendency among some to assume that all stories have to have some kind of important underlying meaning. When they were in college or high school, all the literature and other storytelling media they encountered had to be looked at from the perspective of having deep, important meaning, so why wouldn't any worthwhile media also meet that criteria? It's a narrow way of thinking, but there's nothing particularly wrong with it. It's only natural for someone to view a situation from their own perspective, after all. When you're a carpenter, every problem is a nail.
To add onto that, a lot of wannabe-critics' problem is that they believe that a series' worth is based entirely on its subject matter or content, and nothing to do with the execution side of it. This follows with what you said about people who take the subject matter too seriously.

If you look at AFI's list of top 100 movies you'll see ones you don't expect up there, like Star Wars, ET, Dr. Strangelove, and Jaws. Jaws especially doesn't have any deep thinking or complex subject matter at all, but it still inspired generations of people to be terrified of sharks and that was because of how well the movie was executed (and also because it's a FUUUUUNN movie to watch).

So my take on NGNL is that it's not deep, but its contribution to the art of anime is that it set a new standard for LN adaptations, and the story it had was executed almost flawlessly.

Old 2014-06-30, 22:10   Link #914
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newprimus View Post
So my take on NGNL is that it's not deep, but its contribution to the art of anime is that it set a new standard for LN adaptations, and the story it had was executed almost flawlessly.
Succinctly put, and absolutely correct.
Old 2014-07-01, 04:20   Link #915
AP24

BD vol 1 sold 6771 BD + 1661 DVD = 8432 BD/DVD.
This is really good, it might reach 10k next week.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 09:49   Link #916
c933103
FTNR

April anime volume one disc sell result by the end of June, incomprehensive and with some data excluded:
*97,587 LL season 2 (Only contain 1 episode)(substantial movie release announced)(Season 1 average, around 30k-40k)(two weeks accumulation)
**9,053 Kagerou (Only contain 1 episode)
**8,437 NGNL
**8,310 is the order rabbit
**7,995 Sidonia(a divided apart season 2 is going to air later)
**6,507 Initial D final stage
**5,563 DALII(movie edition announced)(season 1 average sell: 7k-9k)
**4,705 one week friend
**4,493 Kamigami no Asobi
**1,469 Akuma no Riddle
**1,324 Kanojo Flag

Last edited by c933103; 2014-07-03 at 12:06. Reason: adding condition
Old 2014-07-01, 10:38   Link #917
c933103
FTNR

p.s. mini OVA vol.1 and Shiro's character song had both been floating around by now.
Old 2014-07-01, 12:04   Link #918
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Love Live....daaaaaaaaammmn. Japan really loves their idols.

Tags
game anime, strategy