AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-11-23, 18:56   Link #501
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
But SEED Destiny made up for it by having "Gary Stu" Gundam (eg. Strike Freedom) which didn't even get scratched in the final battle. Say what you want about 00, but even the super-duper 00 Raiser & Qan[T] took some heavy beatings during their battles.
Not being damaged by dodging and blocking is not an impossibility.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 20:43   Link #502
NeutralZero

and consider the number of opponents they have
The movie has a LOT
while SF mainly deals with Destiny and Legend...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 22:56   Link #503
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
So? thats not what I meant, what i meant was internal systems, and aside from advanced technology multi-lock and DRAGOONS, the Strike Freedom did not have semi-supernatural abilities.
Being a "Gary Stu Gundam" is worse than having semi-supernatural abilities, but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yye1 View Post
Also, despite my distaste for how the SF did not take any damage, it was still within reason to believe that its due to a mixture of skill of the pilot and extremely advanced technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Not being damaged by dodging and blocking is not an impossibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
and consider the number of opponents they have
The movie has a LOT
while SF mainly deals with Destiny and Legend...
Guys, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the "in-story" reason why SF didn't get scratched. What I'm complaining about is the scriptwriter & animators's artistic choice which not allowed SF to get damaged and stayed squeaky clean till the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Actually, the 00 Qan[T] wasn't actually damaged at all. The only time they came close, its GN-Field defended it from it, and the only shot that wasn't blocked by the field was blocked by its shield, and it showed no visible damage.
I really need to watch that movie again. I've only seen it once my entire life. As far as I can remember, 00 Qan[T] lost some of its parts before Setsuna went vacationing on ELS resort far away in the galaxy .
Old 2013-11-23, 23:27   Link #504
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Being a "Gary Stu Gundam" is worse than having semi-supernatural abilities, but that's just my opinion.
Ironically, ZZ is a good example of such a thing. Despite the uber-Newtype abilities Judau demonstrated, even to the point of magical ZZ bio-sensor repair hax against Haman, it was still one of the most trashed Gundams at the end of a series that I've seen (losing an arm and leg) alongside the original Gundam (missing its head, both arms, and a chunk of its leg).
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 23:27   Link #505
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
I really need to watch that movie again. I've only seen it once my entire life. As far as I can remember, 00 Qan[T] lost some of its parts before Setsuna went vacationing on ELS resort far away in the galaxy .
It did, but that wasn't battle damage--it jettisoned its armor within the ELS vessel as part of its Quantum Burst mode. Likely due to interference that the armor would cause with particle emissions or some shit like that. Outside of that, it took no actual damage. It mostly had a path cleared for it, dodged most shots, and when it got attacked by that amalgamation at the end, tanked the shots on its shield and its GN-Field.

Unlike the Strike Freedom, though, it had relatively little flight time and only the one sortie, so it can get away with being undamaged without breaking suspension of disbelief.
Old 2013-11-24, 06:01   Link #506
monster

Aside for the existence of mobile suits, there is no reason to not be able to suspend disbelief regarding the Strike Freedom not taking damage in the three times that it was in battle as it does so via conventional means.
Old 2013-11-24, 14:24   Link #507
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

No, we can just perfectly believe that the Strike Freedom can't get a scratch on its paint job when it's been in two extended duration firefights, taking fire from all sides by skilled opponents that can utilize all-range attack weaponry. Not even light cosmetic smudges. No, it's perfectly reasonable to expect it to come out literally sparkling and gleaming after it quite literally tore apart a giant space station, not not get hit by any of the debris as it tore through it all.

Old 2013-11-24, 19:46   Link #508
monster

Quote:
No, we can just perfectly believe that the Strike Freedom can't get a scratch on its paint job when it's been in two extended duration firefights, taking fire from all sides by skilled opponents that can utilize all-range attack weaponry. Not even light cosmetic smudges. No, it's perfectly reasonable to expect it to come out literally sparkling and gleaming after it quite literally tore apart a giant space station, not not get hit by any of the debris as it tore through it all.

So now you're complaining about details of the paint job? I was talking about no damage.

But either way, compared to other things in Gundam, yeah, that's still relatively believable.
Old 2013-11-26, 04:42   Link #509
isamu99

God Dammit! I told you guys to save the best Gundam for LAST from that list!!!!!! I'm now on episode 30 and I'm confident NOTHING will top it! I can't see 00, G, or Unicorn beating this show! It's fucking mindblowingly AWESOME!
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 04:54   Link #510
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
God Dammit! I told you guys to save the best Gundam for LAST from that list!!!!!! I'm now on episode 30 and I'm confident NOTHING will top it! I can't see 00, G, or Unicorn beating this show! It's fucking mindblowingly AWESOME!
what? seed? you are drunk
Old 2013-11-26, 06:08   Link #511
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
Yeah, God forbid people for having different opinions and taste .

Quote:
I personally will put G as the worst of the bunch, but it also depends on your expectation. G Gundam is a series full with super-robot elements and silly stuffs, just to warn you. I myself like G for what it is: a Gundam take on super-robot genre.
Old 2013-11-26, 06:30   Link #512
NeutralZero

Watched G before and yeah its a gundam series that's more super robot than real robot...
in a way Build fighter is like trying to shift to that with the way they use plavsky particle...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-26, 15:14   Link #513
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Gundam SEED + Gundam SEED Destiny are number one for me no contest (yes i said Destiny i think it offers a very interesting perspective and although there where some elements in it i wasnt quite fond of it was still awesome for showing them of).

After that i guess i'd go for:

After War Gundam X
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz (the movie edition)
08th MS Team
Igloo
Gundam Wing Series
G Gundam
Old 2013-11-27, 04:35   Link #514
isamu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
Yeah seed. It's fucking boss. Perfect story telling, perfect action sequences, ridiculously gorgeous color palette and art designs, hot babes, etc...
Old 2013-11-27, 04:47   Link #515
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Man, you're going to be really disappointed come Destiny then.
Old 2013-11-27, 05:34   Link #516
hamazura
whatever

Quote:
Yeah seed. It's fucking boss. Perfect story telling, perfect action sequences, ridiculously gorgeous color palette and art designs, hot babes, etc...
well, yzak is awesome
Old 2013-11-27, 12:40   Link #517
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
I'll give you the hot babes part at least.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 17:40   Link #518
isamu99

Quote:
Man, you're going to be really disappointed come Destiny then.
I've read enough to know when to stay away from a turd
Old 2013-11-27, 18:13   Link #519
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I've read enough to know when to stay away from a turd
In case you wanna know the continuation of SEED, you can always watch the SEED Destiny Special Edition movies. That will save you a lot of time and enduring much less Shinn compared to watching the series and the ending is a lot better. Or you can just watch Stargazer side-story OVAs which set after SEED and in the middle of Destiny timeline.
Old 2013-11-27, 22:54   Link #520
Aurelis
Daydreamer

SEED was and is fun, I'll admit. It's the epitome of modern take on Gundam and I dare say it got more anime fans than 00. Maybe cause it's the fairy tale of the Gundam universe with high performance machines, very likeable pretty characters who are perfect in every way and accompanied by catchy music. Destiny was also the same with high performance machines, very unlikeable pretty characters who are imperfect in every way and accompanied by catchy music.

What I LOVED about Destiny was, the main character was booted and the previous main character was reinstated. Imagine if in Zeta, Kamille that whiny bitch was sidelined in favour of Amuro Ray, holy cow, it'll be the perfect sequel. And in ZZ, Amuro returns and ends it in CCA. Or so you thought but he made a comeback and hijacked the Unicorn later on. Hell, Amuro also tested the Alex Gundam, was involved in the stopping of GP02, went to Earth to participate in 08th MS Team, went back to space to join the Alpha Task Force and had a hand in Titans Trial Test team. That's how UC should be.
Aurelis is offline   Reply With Quote