AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-07-14, 10:56   Link #21
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Obligatory post for Devin Townsend. Basic metal genre, but his videos are comical, and he's a guy who just likes to rock his face off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLXoobDKWs
Old 2009-07-14, 11:52   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
I'm a major guitar fan, and I'm learning to play the guitar myself. It's going very, very slowly because of my laziness. My favorite guitarists list goes like this...(not in order)

Spoiler for spoilered for page space:
Many great artists mentioned here ... since metal is "over-covered" (love metal but ya'll have already mentioned all the ones I like) I'll wander around a bit.

Thanks to Bolton for mentioning some blues artists -- Stevie Ray Vaughn has been a favorite of mine since... well, since he started to become known in Texas in the 80s. B.B. King is still around beating the crap out of blues.

And whatever else Slash is -- any list that fails to mention him ignores his professional level of discipline in the art and willingness to appear in the oddest venues (Carol King 1993 concert). Keith Richards, otoh, is a whole persona - his actual skill is almost irrelevant to his presence

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top could create some great blues energy (even after they went synth-80s ). And Angus Young of AC/DC could fire up a crowd regardless of his technical skills

Way off in other sections of the record store - a German guitarist named Govi outputs some very expressive mellow acoustic guitar. Chet Atkins was a country western guitarist giant.

I have to mention Earl Scruggs since a banjo is a form of guitar... his style he invented is almost synonymous with bluegrass and he was as fast as any metal guitar ever considered being. You might recognize the younger white-haired guy next to him also picking banjo in this youtube. Every guy in the clip is a major player in their craft (and you might recognize the piano player as well).

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-07-14 at 12:35.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 13:49   Link #23
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Gibbons is amazingly awesome.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 16:06   Link #24
Kazu
Flowing

John Frusciante of the Red hot chili Peppers is another one of my favorite guitarist,he's gets sologasms,seriously just watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJHEdQBAr8
Old 2009-07-24, 23:51   Link #25
lelangir

kkekekekekekkeekekek

lelangir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 20:23   Link #26
rockmanxpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelangir View Post
kkekekekekekkeekekek
thought I recognized one of the Rosenberg brothers.

I see your video and raise you a Andreas Oberg

rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 01:17   Link #27
Yokai

I study Jazz guitar, and various other jazz studies like improvising and etc. In turn I hear a lot about Jazz guitarists, mainly Gypsy Jazz since my teacher is more into the gypsy jazz scene.

One very important guitarist for every guitar player to know thought is Django Reinhardt, who is probably one of the best improvisational guitarists that ever existed.

I'm more into Jazz than anything else, so it is really different compared to other people here, but I can and will probably post more in the future.
Old 2009-07-26, 03:02   Link #28
Kazu
Flowing

I have 2 questions
1.I've been playing guitar foe almost a year so i'm pretty much a newb,but can any of you expert guitarist tell me what this guys doing at about 03:09,I know he's tapping but can someone give me and explanation on how he makes that sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcfj...eature=related
2.off topic how in the heck do you put up youtube videos?
Old 2009-07-27, 15:00   Link #29
jawang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu View Post
I have 2 questions
1.I've been playing guitar foe almost a year so i'm pretty much a newb,but can any of you expert guitarist tell me what this guys doing at about 03:09,I know he's tapping but can someone give me and explanation on how he makes that sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcfj...eature=related
2.off topic how in the heck do you put up youtube videos?
the video you posted has really bad sound quality, but I think he's playing on the G-string, bending the Bflat-note up to a C-note, releasing the bend back down to the Bflat-note, and then doing a pulloff to play the A-note. repeat this sequence to make that whiny sound

anyway, hes basically just doing slow vibrato with a wide interval, if you take out that pulloff itll sound similar and itll be really easy (especially at the speed he was doing it)

and btw, i strongly second your comment about john frusciante. ive been through satriani/vai/etc. phases but these days I've been looking up to frusciante's playing more than anyone else. hes one of the few great guitarists in recent memory that plays with more soul than technique. probably the closest thing we have to a living hendrix/SRV...

too many new guitarists these days just worry about speed/legato techniques, sound effects, exotic scales/theory, and other technical stuff. they forget that the whole point of music is to express feelings and thoughts
jawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 20:07   Link #30
Sleep
Tomato

Send a message via MSN to Sleep
I started playing guitar a lot just recently again and that's after I've seen my favourite guitarists live

My favourite guitarists atm are Michael and Christopher Amott from Arch Enemy. They might not be the best but I love their guitar playing. It makes me want to play my guitar every time I hear it.
Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 10:36   Link #31
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Hey I need a bit help, Im trying to play Alones by Aqua Timez and the only thing im having trouble with is the strumming, I cant find the right technique too strum from the song...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/aqua_timez/alones_tab.htm

Iv tried playing the song with only one strum down with each changing grip too get the feel for the song and so far iv bin doing good, but not comes the strumming and im still learning about how too pick with your ear and stuff so I want a a guide for this one.

for exemple the song One by u2 revolves has two types of strumming that I know and the first goes like this, down, down, up , down up down, down, and the other is down, down, up up, up down, down.

If you do not under stand what I mean by up and down, it means strum down and strum up, but anyways if someone gets what im saying could they please post or give me a link too a proper guide on how too strum to the song Alones by Aqua Timez???
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 14:08   Link #32
Sides

You're talking about down- and upstrokes. Honestly no clue how to explain it. There shouldn't be a difference if you're picking single string, if you can put the same force in a upstroke as in your downstroke. However if you play a chord, the upstroke will produce a bright sound to it, try for yourself.

Which part are you talking about in the song? The parts where a chord is played and strings are singly picked or the chord only bits?
I would play the chords with a downstrokes and when you start hearing the fast pace bit use alternate strumming. And the chord+strings parts, downstroke the chord and then pick the following strings with a up/down/up. So tehcnically you'll be playing in a down, up, down, up motion.
Just feel the beat, try to ignore the vocals, the bassline and the drum beat in a song can sometime/most of the time help you to find the rhythm pattern.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 14:28   Link #33
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
You're talking about down- and upstrokes. Honestly no clue how to explain it. There shouldn't be a difference if you're picking single string, if you can put the same force in a upstroke as in your downstroke. However if you play a chord, the upstroke will produce a bright sound to it, try for yourself.

Which part are you talking about in the song? The parts where a chord is played and strings are singly picked or the chord only bits?
I would play the chords with a downstrokes and when you start hearing the fast pace bit use alternate strumming. And the chord+strings parts, downstroke the chord and then pick the following strings with a up/down/up. So tehcnically you'll be playing in a down, up, down, up motion.
Just feel the beat, try to ignore the vocals, the bassline and the drum beat in a song can sometime/most of the time help you to find the rhythm pattern.
I get what your saying I will try and practice that and hopefully get it iv bin constantly playing with just one down strum each grip too prepare for the time I learn the strumming techniques.
Old 2009-07-31, 06:54   Link #34
jawang

downstokes emphasize bass and upstrokes emphasize treble. thats about it.

generally speaking, you want to emphasize bass when playing chords. so downstrokes are usually on beat, and upstrokes are typically offbeats or fills. theres always exceptions, but as a rhythm guitar playing chords, you generally want to avoid clashing with the higher notes in the vocal line/melody

if you are practicing strumming, pay attention to the position of your pick and your hand. rest your forearm on the top edge of your guitar, and make sure your entire arm is relaxed except for your fingers and wrist (takes a lot of practice, because it's easy to tense up without noticing)

try this website if you are learning guitar, they cover everything you need to know, free video lessons too
www.justinguitar.com
Old 2009-07-31, 09:06   Link #35
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Thanks Its ture I do tense up without noticing like sometimes I pick up the speed when Im suppose too strum alot slower. The only problems Im having is the strumming, because there are times the pick just falls out of my hand or goes side ways. And the only grip iv bin having trouble with is F grip which involves holding E-1, B-1, G-2, D-3.
Old 2009-07-31, 17:49   Link #36
jawang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargumm1i View Post
Thanks Its ture I do tense up without noticing like sometimes I pick up the speed when Im suppose too strum alot slower. The only problems Im having is the strumming, because there are times the pick just falls out of my hand or goes side ways. And the only grip iv bin having trouble with is F grip which involves holding E-1, B-1, G-2, D-3.
about the pick moving sideways, or even slipping out... here is a personal trick that I use:

when I feel the pick slipping to the left, I'll tilt my wrist forward slightly. This makes the pick hit the strings at more of angle, so it gets pushed back to straight due to the force of hitting the strings. if the pick slips to the right, I tilt my wrist slightly back to get the opposite effect. you can also make the pick move up or down by doing these techniques and changing how tightly you hold the pick.

like all things, it takes practice, but using this technique, I can readjust my pick's location in my fingers while playing any kind of music (even while shredding). its a really helpful thing to learn

professional guitarists are like magicians when it comes to pick handing tricks. if you watch john mayer, he often "hides" his pick between the knuckles of his index and middle fingers. that way, he can fingerpick a song, and then instantly switch to strumming with a pick whenever he feels like it

about your tempo: keeping rhythm is often very difficult, but you can make it easier on yourself. make sure some part of your body is always moving (foot tapping, head bobbing, etc., whatever is comfortable). also, for now, make sure your strumming hand is ALWAYS moving. even if you aren't supposed to play any notes, do a "fake" strum without hitting any strings, just to keep your arm in a rhythm.

also, of course, always use a metranome to practice (its boring I know, I hate it too )

as for your F chord, there are a few shortcuts you can use until your fingers get strong enough to barre easily

try playing this F (it's an inversion, but it still contains the notes of an F chord)

e-----
B--1--
G--2--
D--3--
A--3--
E-----

its like playing a C chord, except your middle finger moves down a string, and your pinkly goes on the D string.

I actually use this version of an F chord more often than the barre chord version, especially when I play standing up. it's much less of a strain on your wrists

if you have big hands you can even bring your thumb over the top of the fretboard to play this movable F chord (a.k.a. jimi hendrix style)
e-----
B--1--
G--2--
D--3--
A--3--
E--1--

Last edited by jawang; 2009-07-31 at 18:02.
Old 2009-08-05, 03:14   Link #37
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

shawn lane anyone?
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 06:22   Link #38
radioIzzy
stuck in a harem genre
*Artist

Justing King is one of my favourite recently. Definately worth looking up on YouTube.
radioIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 22:33   Link #39
Kazu
Flowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawang View Post
the video you posted has really bad sound quality, but I think he's playing on the G-string, bending the Bflat-note up to a C-note, releasing the bend back down to the Bflat-note, and then doing a pulloff to play the A-note. repeat this sequence to make that whiny sound

anyway, hes basically just doing slow vibrato with a wide interval, if you take out that pulloff itll sound similar and itll be really easy (especially at the speed he was doing it)

and btw, i strongly second your comment about john frusciante. ive been through satriani/vai/etc. phases but these days I've been looking up to frusciante's playing more than anyone else. hes one of the few great guitarists in recent memory that plays with more soul than technique. probably the closest thing we have to a living hendrix/SRV...

too many new guitarists these days just worry about speed/legato techniques, sound effects, exotic scales/theory, and other technical stuff. they forget that the whole point of music is to express feelings and thoughts
I some what understand what you're saying.can also tell me how to make notes,how do I say this stay out longer for ex at the beginning of the song foxy lady jimi does this thing to make the sound last longer.

also another at 06:18 on this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1lct...0F5DC&index=14
sorry for bad quality
Old 2009-08-10, 03:09   Link #40
Olaguer

I like to learn how to play guitar. For starters, what advice could you give?
Olaguer is offline   Reply With Quote