AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-09-11, 00:48   Link #1
kryptolus

Sabbu (SSA replacement)

I'm gonna start off my first post with a bang... nah. More like a pop...

I released a beta version of the program I've been working on. It's basically intended to be a SSA replacement (and more...).

See http://www.sabbu.com for feature list, screenshots, and downloads.

What I need is testing and feedback. I have about three more free weeks. After that things might go a bit slower. Thanks go out to Shin-Otaku, Elly and voxvam in particular who did some testing and gave me feedback. Support Shin-Otaku and download their encodes.

Hopefully I didn't screw up the release. Watch it'll be missing some file... knowing myself... probably. =(

Last edited by kryptolus; 2004-10-04 at 03:33. Reason: Changed URL
kryptolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 01:49   Link #2
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
One feature I would love to see is a closer key binding to SSA, especially A, S, D, F, and G. A & F scrolls the wave form window left & right, S for Play Selection / Stop, D for play last .5 seconds, and G for Grab time. Even if I have to use Alt key at the same time, having all those 5 would be really nice. (At least S, D, and G - I use them the most) Just my two cents. (At least you've implemented S & G) Now, I'll go download and play with it later ^^;
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-11, 02:03   Link #3
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
One feature I would love to see is a closer key binding to SSA, especially A, S, D, F, and G. A & F scrolls the wave form window left & right, S for Play Selection / Stop, D for play last .5 seconds, and G for Grab time. Even if I have to use Alt key at the same time, having all those 5 would be really nice. (At least S, D, and G - I use them the most) Just my two cents. (At least you've implemented S & G) Now, I'll go download and play with it later ^^;
Noted. I didn't know SSA had these shortcuts I always used Alt+G (Grab), Alt+S (Play Selection), etc... Didn't know there was no need to press Alt. (In most apps shorcuts require a modified like Control or Alt.)

This is trivial so expect it to be in the next beta.
Old 2004-09-14, 23:14   Link #4
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
I finally had a chance to time an entire 24 minutes episode with Sabbu. I've never managed that feat using Medusa before - I definitely like Sabbu a lot better. And seeing how this is the first beta version, I really see lots of potential.

I haven't used it to its full capacity, so my feed back will be somewhat limited... I've already mentioned about key binding. Also, I wish I could use mouse scroll on the wave form - I can already do it on the horizontal scroll bar. But being able to do so on the wave form itself would be very nice.

Thanks for sharing this program - I'm loving it, and more than likely, I will continue to use it as my primary timing tool from now on.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-15, 00:18   Link #5
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

OMG how did i miss this??? Thx for the source XD.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 19:44   Link #6
kryptolus

0.11 is out

Version 0.11 is out
See http://www.sabbu.com for more information.
One of the things in this version is the presense of all SSA shortcuts (as far as I know)

Enjoy.
Old 2004-10-03, 19:45   Link #7
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
Also, I wish I could use mouse scroll on the wave form - I can already do it on the horizontal scroll bar. But being able to do so on the wave form itself would be very nice..
Okay. I'll try to fix that today and I may do a 0.11a for this.
I'm leaving for Japan tomorrow :-)
Old 2004-10-03, 20:35   Link #8
kryptolus

Okay. 0.11a is out which also adds support for using mouse wheel for scrolling wave =)
Old 2004-10-04, 00:15   Link #9
Yosaphina

Hi,

I tried out the .11a beta and it IS missing a file you can run Sabbu .11a only if you previously installed .1. A .dll is missing.

I hope you can get a mac version running at some point. Thanks for all the effort!

I tried it for a little while and either I'm missing how to do it - but I can't find the split and join events. I use those commands a lot to make it fit pauses etc correctly if the TL missed it. Also would like to copy and paste text - not just events. And I couldn't find that.

I'd like to be able to shrink the size of the wav file on the screen so that I can see more lines.

The new .txt import doesn't import correctly (or at least didn't on the.txt script I got from the TL) - the Character names don't get put in the right place - so I still have to resort to .ssa to create the initial file and then try sabbu.

I'll be using it to hopefully simplify my scene timing
Thanks!
Yosaphina
Yosaphina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 00:40   Link #10
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Hmm... my review:

It's a good program. I'd use it as my primary subbing tool if i hadn't already programmed a bunch. >.<

But other than that, it offers nothing that can't be done by ssa + vdub + other minor tools. However, it can be argued that Sabbu simplifies the process as an all-in-one tool.

Suggestions:

Have a linking feature, which will scan all lines and join those that are < certain ms apart.

Instead of displaing scene changes, cull the frame back to the scene change if it's x ms over it.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 02:52   Link #11
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosaphina
Hi,
I tried out the .11a beta and it IS missing a file you can run Sabbu .11a only if you previously installed .1. A .dll is missing.
It would be much more helpful if you told me which one was missing

Quote:
I hope you can get a mac version running at some point. Thanks for all the effort!
I hope I can too.

Quote:
I tried it for a little while and either I'm missing how to do it - but I can't find the split and join events. I use those commands a lot to make it fit pauses etc correctly if the TL missed it. Also would like to copy and paste text - not just events. And I couldn't find that.
THere is no Split/Join events but it shouldn't be hard to add.
As for Copy and Paste text, do you mean you want to select an event and copy just the text?

Quote:
I'd like to be able to shrink the size of the wav file on the screen so that I can see more lines.
I'll look into that.

Quote:
The new .txt import doesn't import correctly (or at least didn't on the.txt script I got from the TL) - the Character names don't get put in the right place - so I still have to resort to .ssa to create the initial file and then try sabbu.
Opps. I never even thought about character names. I simply assume it's only text. I'll fix that...

Quote:
I'll be using it to hopefully simplify my scene timing
Thanks!
Yosaphina
Thanks
Old 2004-10-04, 02:59   Link #12
kryptolus

Stay tuned for 0.11b which fixes the problem. There's no DLL missing. Error in the install script =(

If you use 'regedit' and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\sabbu.exe
the value will probably be
C:\Program Files\sabbu;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\lib\lib
while it should be
C:\Program Files\sabbu;C:\Program Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\lib

If you change that, it will run. This way you don't have to redownload 0.11b
Old 2004-10-04, 03:04   Link #13
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumja
But other than that, it offers nothing that can't be done by ssa + vdub + other minor tools. However, it can be argued that Sabbu simplifies the process as an all-in-one tool.
Well that's kinda the whole point. I mean you could time with Notepad and an Audio Player if you have eternity. People make tools in order to simplify the process and sabbu is no different.
Old 2004-10-04, 03:24   Link #14
kryptolus

Okay. 0.11b is out. An apologyfor those who couldn't use 0.11 =(
I'm only human
Old 2004-10-04, 08:13   Link #15
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Crumja- :P

Kryptolus, anyways i guess i will try it out and give suggestions and comments >

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 13:05   Link #16
Kasshin
Kasshin X Kasshin

Send a message via ICQ to Kasshin Send a message via AIM to Kasshin Send a message via MSN to Kasshin
The main strength of this program is the Marking Keyframes feature. With this, you will probably do most of the scene timing while audio timing. There's also a few handy features that SSA lacks that certain timers (like me) may appreciate. The GUI also seems to be more flexible and accomodating, like how you can put the toolbar where you want it.

I'm already switching to using sabbu exclusively for ep timing, and I recommend the rest of you to do the same. And remember to thank Kryptolus!
Kasshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 13:51   Link #17
lomeando

I'd rather see generic scene change detection than just using keyframes, but it's a start. Another feature I'm highly interested is automatic speaker segmentation. i.e., have the computer locate the precise points where a person starts and stops talking. All lead-ins and lead-outs could then be derived from there. I've started code to implement the actual speaker segmentation. Code to compute the cepstral feature vectors is in place, but not to perform the actual segmentation. I have some good Bayesian algorithms I wish to try for that, but haven't had an application to integrate them with before now (some glorious day when I had time, I was going to write one; now I don't have to).

A final note on the usefulness of this program:Linux has not previously had a good ssa/vdub replacement. Since I no longer have any functioning Windows machines, nor do I really want to (have time to) go through the effort of building a new one, this is extremely useful for me.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:24   Link #18
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

When I scroll the wave file, it scrolls backwards than that of ssa...minor problem I know, but I'm just really used to ssa. Also, it'd be nice if you could seek through the video a lil bit. Or maybe I just haven't looked around enough to see where it is. I really like how it jumps to the time in the video when you click on a subtitle line. This program is exactly what I've been looking for in an upgrade to SSA. Thanks!
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 06:32   Link #19
TNM
AnimeONE Designer

Nice prog, thks kryptolus. I''ll use this to time stuff myself when I cant catch a timer =p
TNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 22:46   Link #20
kryptolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
When I scroll the wave file, it scrolls backwards than that of ssa...minor problem I know, but I'm just really used to ssa. Also, it'd be nice if you could seek through the video a lil bit. Or maybe I just haven't looked around enough to see where it is. I really like how it jumps to the time in the video when you click on a subtitle line. This program is exactly what I've been looking for in an upgrade to SSA. Thanks!
Hey everyone. First time I can go online in Japan. I'll need to get a DSL line in my room =/
When you say scrolls 'backward' what do you mean? When you use the scroll wheel? Or when you use one of the scroll shortcuts?

(Hmm... These Japanese keyboard have the symbols in weird places... it's really slowing down my typing...)