AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-26, 22:46   Link #61
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune
I totally agree with what you say, but until the fansubbers are willing to compromise, one solution I found is to edit out the OP and ED of 2-3 episodes (how many depends on how much unused space is on your DVD). That way you can free up space to fit one more episode onto the DVD.
Hmm...that's a good idea, I'll try doing that for a couple of episodes in a long anime series. But I do prefer to keep the files intact, and as Access said, changing the files would mean changing the hash of the file and you can't share happen to seed it anymore from the original torrent (should the urge to seed arise...yeah right ).

I just found another annoying quirk of burning DVDs. I was trying to burn 24 episodes of an anime, and it was 512K over the limit. The thing is I can't overburn DVDs, whatsoever! I had to remove an episode, resulting an unused space of 230MB. I thought it was just my program or DVD burner, but after much googling and forum browsing of other sites, overburning DVDs is not possible...yet (here's one of the more informative thread that I found. But I guess that's another topic to discuss. But just a warning for fansubbers who decides to divide files evenly for DVDs, make sure they're a bit UNDER the specs, not over, at least, not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
And the world does not revolve around one subset of a group of people, consider that the difference for CD-R users is much greater than DVD-R users. You're complaining about an at most 5% inefficiency in space usage when your proposed solution would cause up to 7 times that ineffiency for CD-R users. Seriously just look at the big picture and learn to live with the 5%.
Aww, I have to wait until DVD-R burners becomes the majority (DVD-R users > CD-R users), before fansubbers starts parsing out files for DVDs? Ok folks, everyone, buy a DVD burner. NOW! . Price is not an obstacle! DVD burners are affordable now. I got my for $99 dollars Canadian after rebate (yes, that's about $75 bucks US). What are you waiting for? GO NOW !

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2004-09-26 at 22:59.
Old 2004-09-26, 23:49   Link #62
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Personally, I try my best to keep all my encodes both CD and DVD friendly. I think that is the mentality of most fansub encoders too.

Burning onto DVD isn't usually a problem because you can split series onto two DVDs (1-13 of one series, 1-13 of another, x2) or cut out the OP/ED sequences. You can also try reencoding certain eps.
Old 2004-09-27, 00:57   Link #63
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Although I do archive my group's works as a record of achievement ^^;, I do not really care that much that they fit on x amount of DVDs. I feel that DVD-Rs are cheap enough nowadays and fansubs aren't supposed to be made for archiving. If you want to collect series, you buy the real DVDs. Thus, that is why I think the whole 'we must make our episodes EXACTLY 175MB' deal kind of stupid. Make it big enough to satisfy your quality standards. I don't want one episode of fast motion in 175mb when 200mb should be better and I don't want the next episode of slow motion to be 175mb when it could have been 150mb.
Old 2004-09-27, 05:24   Link #64
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
Ummm...
U cannot choose the size of the release...
The size depends on: the size of the RAW, number of filters used, the filters used, methods & codec used for encoding...
So as u see the encoder cannot make all ep or even one ep the size he/she wants to...
Size of the raw has nothing to do with the size of the release =P
Nor the filters. Its all in the quant (compression) of the codec used.

I can use no filters and still make a good 170 MB codec and i can make a 10 MB encode too =P
its not so hard to fuckup encodes.

The quality of encodes relies on the quality of the raw, wich filters are used and how they are used and of course codec settings =P
Old 2004-09-27, 18:14   Link #65
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
Size of the raw has nothing to do with the size of the release =P
Nor the filters. Its all in the quant (compression) of the codec used.

I can use no filters and still make a good 170 MB codec and i can make a 10 MB encode too =P
its not so hard to fuckup encodes.

The quality of encodes relies on the quality of the raw, wich filters are used and how they are used and of course codec settings =P
A noisy raw means there is more overhead for the compression, for instance if you compress a noisy raw at q=3 and a 190mb file, you compress a clean (or well-filtered) raw at q=3 and get a 140mb file, the overhead from noise is about 50+mb. Size is not based on codec compression alone. Look at the habit VHS captures "oppai fansubs" did, that is a good example of a poor raw adversely affecting file sizes (and those are xvid q=5, most stuff out there today is much higher quality, around xvid q=3).
Old 2004-09-27, 20:27   Link #66
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Heh, and XVid's (oh, don't make me get into DivX 311. No, don't! Because I don't know jack about DivX3!) way of dealing with noise on uber low quality sources is to basically take the source file and take a leak on it, removing random detail, smudging more detail, then stamping on it with a sqaure-shaped stamp (you know, add the blocking :P) singing "LALALALALAL!!!".

And I have claim on complaining about modern digital raws too.
I should be ashamed.
Damn, where am I getting this metaphor from?
I should be ashamed.
Old 2004-09-28, 06:20   Link #67
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
News Flash, XviD has Target Size =p
my encodes have never been more than 1 MB off from the targeted size no matter what quality the raw =P
Old 2004-09-28, 07:23   Link #68
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
GipFace, fansubs can't replace your R1s anyway because you can't watch DivX on your DVD player. If fansubs were for replacing DVDs, they would be released in SVCD format.

Actually, there are now DVD players that support DivX 4 and DivX 5 (and XviD if fourcc'ed to DivX5) playback. Since DivX 3 is a hack, it doesn't work.

But anyway, you missed the boat. Think carefully about what I'm referring to ...

That is just bull____ i have a player that supports it all, XVID DX50 MPEG MPEG2 DIV3 DIV4 and more.

They make them in germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
News Flash, XviD has Target Size =p
my encodes have never been more than 1 MB off from the targeted size no matter what quality the raw =P
Obviously you havent encoded long enuff to have meet oversized or undersized encodes.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Old 2004-09-28, 13:22   Link #69
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
That is just bull____ i have a player that supports it all, XVID DX50 MPEG MPEG2 DIV3 DIV4 and more.

They make them in germany.
Mine was made in Mexico and its called an Xbox
Old 2004-09-28, 14:04   Link #70
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
[...]I do not really care that much that they fit on x amount of DVDs. I feel that DVD-Rs are cheap enough nowadays and fansubs aren't supposed to be made for archiving. If you want to collect series, you buy the real DVDs. Thus, that is why I think the whole 'we must make our episodes EXACTLY 175MB' deal kind of stupid. Make it big enough to satisfy your quality standards. I don't want one episode of fast motion in 175mb when 200mb should be better and I don't want the next episode of slow motion to be 175mb when it could have been 150mb.
I completely agree with this - DVD+Rs are so cheap that who cares if it takes one or two discs. I'm not exactly going for a professional archiving system here... I just want to be able to find stuff for when I want to watch it again. Sometimes I'll even burn multiple series onto one disc as it's being released, and then span onto second/third discs as the first disc gets full. As long as I can find things, then I don't care. The R1 discs are my true "collection".

As for my reason for backing things up to DVD... I travel a lot, and like to bring my anime with me. Although I actually do buy the R1 DVDs for fansubbed series I followed, I don't like bringing my R1 discs with me for fear of them getting lost or stolen. I'd rather keep them "safe" at home, and just bring my expendable DVD+Rs with me. (I guess I'm hedging my bets - if one gets lost, I'll still have the other.)
Old 2004-09-28, 20:30   Link #71
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
Obviously you havent encoded long enuff to have meet oversized or undersized encodes.
^_^, pwned.
Old 2004-10-01, 18:39   Link #72
Sergejack

Send a message via MSN to Sergejack
You should try the VP6 codec, it's awesome.
You sure can make a good looking 25min video using only 80-100mo with it.

And if you know how to use filters (avisyth/vdub) you can really keep a good quality with the lowest bitrate ever.
Old 2004-10-02, 17:51   Link #73
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

I vote for anime to have a resolution of 1600x1200 with a file size of 8 bits or less so I can fit 4.7 billion eps on one DVD-R!

Personally I don't really care if I can't fit 4 eps per cd. I doubt anyone does. CD-Rs are like, what, 6 cents? I'll probably burn it even if you make it 400MB per ep, as long as the quality matches the size. This discussion is kinda dumb. R2s are the way to go for archiving.

That and maintaining the same size for every ep has flaws. I know some people would encode the final to 175MB even if their raw was only 110MB. There's no point to enlarge the size just to fit it nicely on a cd, the quality's still gonna be shit.
Old 2004-10-02, 21:23   Link #74
Raven_Zero

Send a message via AIM to Raven_Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Raven_Zero
Maybe i'm just odd but i think that fansubs should have bad quality. And here is why i think that.
1. Small file size, less wasted bandwidth
2. People are gunna wanna buy the dvds to get the quality.
3. If people dont buy the dvd's there only getting a bad copy of the orignal.

I've only watched a few fansub mostly One Piece, FMA, Naruto and Gantz
And i have every intention of buying the dvd's when they are released.
Old 2004-10-03, 21:29   Link #75
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Zero
Maybe i'm just odd but i think that fansubs should have bad quality. And here is why i think that.

Heh, unforunately, that is an ideal that will never materialize.

1. encoders nowadays have too much ego that won't let them purposely make bad quality.
2. if they do that, who will download their version? (assuming there is an alternate)
3. it can be argued that if the vid is bad enough to be distracting, many may be less inclined to buy dvds.
Old 2004-10-05, 06:28   Link #76
TNM
AnimeONE Designer

I always try to make 26 eps dvdrip fit into one dvdr for collection and compact purpose (cutting op/ed and deleting dub audio track are the tricks) =p

btw, b-frame+highly compressable raw tend to make yr encode under-sized. I've encode bunch of dvds using b-frame and most of the time the results turn out to be 1.3gb instead of 1.4gb as specified....
Old 2004-10-07, 23:06   Link #77
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonefox
I just wonder.....
Why not keep the size of the eps. in 175 MB?
In that way you will get 4 eps on a 700 MB CD-r and 26 eps on a DVD+-r.....
Just a thought....what do you fansubbers think?

/Lonefox
kaizoku-fansubs has recently (or so) changed to approx. 233 mb/ep
Y?? um....correct me if im wrong..but i think its like..120 fps now..and its the new technology or whatever.....but..yea..i dink thats y
Old 2004-10-08, 00:32   Link #78
Meatwad
Banned

Personally I think this "Standard size" stuff is stupid. I would rather have higher quality than 4 eps on a CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Zero

There are some series that will probably NEVER be released on DVD in america, don't you think fans of those kinds of shows deserve a HQ version? Due to region protection, $65 per DVD, and the lack of subtitles, imports are not options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii_tsunami
kaizoku-fansubs has recently (or so) changed to approx. 233 mb/ep
Y?? um....correct me if im wrong..but i think its like..120 fps now..and its the new technology or whatever.....but..yea..i dink thats y
Also 120fps is a bit much, it has nothing to do with "Technology", a lot of Japanese TV rips use that tho (It's basically what the TV sets the refresh rate to....the REGULAR video, depending on the type, is around 24 to 30 fps, the TV just duplicates frames).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Although I do archive my group's works as a record of achievement ^^;, I do not really care that much that they fit on x amount of DVDs. I feel that DVD-Rs are cheap enough nowadays and fansubs aren't supposed to be made for archiving. If you want to collect series, you buy the real DVDs. Thus, that is why I think the whole 'we must make our episodes EXACTLY 175MB' deal kind of stupid. Make it big enough to satisfy your quality standards. I don't want one episode of fast motion in 175mb when 200mb should be better and I don't want the next episode of slow motion to be 175mb when it could have been 150mb.
I agree and my bro outlaw55 always followed by that when he was encoding, but TONS of ppl bitched and complained....
Old 2004-10-08, 00:38   Link #79
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

120 fps in a released encode usually means:

1. the episode is hybrid 24/30 fps and the encoder was too lazy to correct for the 30 fps.
2. the episode is not in hybrid and the encoder doesn't know how/was too lazy to decimate.
Old 2004-10-08, 03:07   Link #80
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumja
120 fps in a released encode usually means:

1. the episode is hybrid 24/30 fps and the encoder was too lazy to correct for the 30 fps.
2. the episode is not in hybrid and the encoder doesn't know how/was too lazy to decimate.
Sometimes you just can't correct for it. What if it is an actual hybrid? What framerate do you want the resulting file in? If it's 24, you'll get not so smooth motion in the 30fps parts and if it's 30, you'll get ghosting on the 24 fps parts. The only real solution would be to use motion compensation, but that's still not very good yet.
Closed Thread