AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-21, 09:43   Link #1
Lonefox
Inactive Member

Eps-size...

I just wonder.....
Why not keep the size of the eps. in 175 MB?
In that way you will get 4 eps on a 700 MB CD-r and 26 eps on a DVD+-r.....
Just a thought....what do you fansubbers think?

/Lonefox
Old 2003-11-21, 10:35   Link #2
GipFace

Couple of reasons ...

1. TV series run for 25 minutes, while OVA episodes usually run the full 30 and need additional space.

2. With a 2 3 episode OVA series, you might as well upsize to 233MB.

3. If every episode was 175MB, 26 epsiodes would not fit on a DVD. In fact, each episode would have to be 172.3MB.

4. Why burn a series anyway? Ah, that's right ... they make nice replacements for your R1s. ~_~
Old 2003-11-21, 10:51   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

I have seen fansub series where the episodes are sized to exactly 100MB, 172MB, 175MB, and 233MB. But it varies.

GipFace, fansubs can't replace your R1s anyway because you can't watch DivX on your DVD player. If fansubs were for replacing DVDs, they would be released in SVCD format.
Old 2003-11-21, 13:01   Link #4
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Ummm...
U cannot choose the size of the release...
The size depends on: the size of the RAW, number of filters used, the filters used, methods & codec used for encoding...
So as u see the encoder cannot make all ep or even one ep the size he/she wants to...
Old 2003-11-21, 13:19   Link #5
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
Ummm...
The size depends on: the size of the RAW, number of filters used, the filters used, methods & codec used for encoding...
You forgot one thing in your list. The bitrate. It is freely settable by the encoder, and, when 2-pass (and some maths) is used, you can get really close to a certain size in the final product. That's why some groups' encodes always are 175MiB.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
Old 2003-11-21, 15:25   Link #6
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
You forgot one thing in your list. The bitrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
Old 2003-11-21, 15:41   Link #7
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

No, you can choose the size of an encode. It just depends on what quality you want it and how good you are at maintaining that quality.
Old 2003-11-21, 15:42   Link #8
Esperchld
Photographer

actually tamz, the size of the raw doesn't matter a whole lot, if any. You just re-encode to whatever you want anyways.
Old 2003-11-21, 16:15   Link #9
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Yeah. For instance, all these new naruto fansubbers. I can make 80MB encodes look the same quality as theirs...I even gave directions on how to for one group. Except they still reject it and produce 175MB or 200MB encodes that are crappy in quality. Oh well...can't bitch about something I get for free, right?
Old 2003-11-21, 23:45   Link #10
GipFace

Reply of stuff

GipFace, fansubs can't replace your R1s anyway because you can't watch DivX on your DVD player. If fansubs were for replacing DVDs, they would be released in SVCD format.

Actually, there are now DVD players that support DivX 4 and DivX 5 (and XviD if fourcc'ed to DivX5) playback. Since DivX 3 is a hack, it doesn't work.

But anyway, you missed the boat. Think carefully about what I'm referring to ...
Old 2003-12-02, 13:06   Link #11
dbzgundam
A-Blitz Founder/Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka

This is why Anime-Blitz releases KVCD versions of their fansubs, these can be played on most DVD players that support the VCD standard. Also think about it, those encodes go to 156MB tops, you can fit more like five eps on a disc...
Old 2003-12-02, 17:57   Link #12
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbzgundam
This is why Anime-Blitz releases KVCD versions of their fansubs, these can be played on most DVD players that support the VCD standard. Also think about it, those encodes go to 156MB tops, you can fit more like five eps on a disc...
No.... 140mb = 5 eps /disc. And the minimum size is completely up the the encoder. It depends what kind of quality the encoder wants. Almost all series can be put at ~170mb with good quality. The maximum size depends on the raw. There are some series which no matter what bitrate you feed them, the file size will not increase nor will the quality. All filters and different raws do is increase or decrease compressability. (How much quality loss there for the compression). Most good raws can be even further compressed with a normal filterless 1 pass encode. And there is really nothing that decides the file size beside what the encoder wants to do.
Old 2003-12-03, 00:13   Link #13
Spyre
"Soon"

I encode to 180 megs. On purpose.

Fansubs should be watched and enjoyed once, then deleted. I do not make fansubs to replace DVDs. I do not make fansubs for you to store forever. Consider them as a replacement for watching it on TV. If you like it so much that you want to watch it again, buy the R2 DVD when its released like everyone else in Japan does.

PS: Don't bother flaming me, you're not going to change my mind.
Old 2003-12-03, 06:49   Link #14
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Heh Mpeg4 playback IS comming to DVD Players now. There's a few that will do it now. I'm not sure if they'll cope with the high res, high bitrates of todays anime fansubs, I know they have some limitations.
The Ps2 and the X-Box also have a mpeg4 player. The X-Box will play more or less anything under the moon, while the Ps2 strugles and jerks on newer encodes unfortunately (only older stuff and stuff not in 640/480 works fine).
You can also always TV-Out your PC too :P

However no, 8 gigs of DVD owns 700megs of Mpeg4, especially when capped from Jap TV.

Quote:
This is why Anime-Blitz releases KVCD versions of their fansubs
That's IF you have a DVD Player that will play the damn things. The last time I tried I was unlucky in nether of my DVD Players would play them right ((
I have a new one now, so I need to try it sometime...

Quote:
No.... 140mb = 5 eps /disc.
Remember VCDs = 800megs per disk, allthough 5 eps at 165megs would still be pushing it.

Quote:
Then you are pwned by OverBurn! Try 186 like Kraze's Inuyasha heh.

I like to burn all my stuff purely for collection. VERY FEW things I will watch though again, mostly old stuff that isn't licenced anyway. It's cool having the few year old DigiSubs to shows that are licenced now and saying "damn, encoding sucked back then..."
Old 2003-12-03, 11:46   Link #15
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyre

Fansubs should be watched and enjoyed once, then deleted. I do not make fansubs to replace DVDs. I do not make fansubs for you to store forever. Consider them as a replacement for watching it on TV. If you like it so much that you want to watch it again, buy the R2 DVD when its released like everyone else in Japan does.

PS: Don't bother flaming me, you're not going to change my mind.

Do you really think this stops people from burning things? People will burn what ever. And now with people using dvdrs to store anime what you are doing is pretty pointless. And if you really wanted people to buy the R2 or even the R1 dvds you would not be fansubbing in the first place.
Old 2003-12-03, 23:01   Link #16
outlaw55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
Do you really think this stops people from burning things? People will burn what ever. And now with people using dvdrs to store anime what you are doing is pretty pointless. And if you really wanted people to buy the R2 or even the R1 dvds you would not be fansubbing in the first place.
On the contrary KingRanger, I personally like to see a show before I buy it shows I haven't seen at least one ep I don't buy. All of the show I purchased i had seen before i bought it (except for dirty pair flash, except I had seen dirty pair...so that kind of evens out), so for a lot of ppl fansubs help ENCOURAGE the purchase of DVDs. One reason I am in a fansub group is 1, to help out, but 2, to find new and interesting shows I could consider purchasing in the future
Old 2003-12-04, 01:20   Link #17
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanger
This is true, theres nothing I can do to stop hardcore leeches.

But please dont tell me what I want and don't want. You probably know nothing about my group and our philosophy, but we like to think we are helping the anime community unlike some other groups that sub everything that is 100% sure to be licensed anyway.

Quote:
Then you are pwned by OverBurn! Try 186 like Kraze's Inuyasha heh.
Actually I encode from 180-195, so on average it wont be overburnable
Old 2003-12-04, 01:43   Link #18
Lucier
Lunar Translator

who cares if stuff is burned o_O

DVD burners are far becomming cheap now, and affordable by most (89$?)

THus it's useless to waste time with wierd sized encodes o_O

People can also easily re-encode stuff, without much, if any, quality loss to a smaller size, or they could chop out the ending or something...

I say, just encode to a size that looks nice, and forget about burning o_O
Old 2003-12-04, 06:28   Link #19
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Also, all you'd be doing to someone like me, who burns everything for the purpose of collection, if costing me an extra 40p or so per series on the extra couple of CDs I burn...
So thanks...

I don't mind anyway. Extra quality heh.
Old 2003-12-04, 20:55   Link #20
nojevo

i havent seen any dvd player that plays divx, but i have heard of them. anyways, i have a moded xbox with a media player installed in it, i stream all my anime to the xbox . As for encoding, technology keeps advancing and encoders will be able to encode with less bitrate. Animekraze is using xvid and their encode are awesome and they are small to average 145 mbs
Closed Thread