AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 18:30   Link #101
Youkakun
*Fansubber

According to GreyZones explanation to german tv versions of animes, i can confirm that the 'just 4 kiddies' thought is really the main problem. It are drawings, no real pictures, it is showing on tv channels for kids or maybe, as a try, late night during week, so it doesn't get a chance to be accepted or even tried by persons who think they're too old for it.

A good opposite are students: since i was on some universities, i experienced that many students, widely more open for new things, are interested in anime.
Youkakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 18:39   Link #102
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youkakun View Post
A good opposite are students: since i was on some universities, i experienced that many students, widely more open for new things, are interested in anime.
It appears that students in post-secondary view anime as a novel means of beating stress and explore media (akin to how University itself is about exploring the depths of one's interests, whether they be medicine, law, science, etc). This certainly works for me.

In response to the original question, I've seen anime to be quite prevalent, although I wouldn't say that there are extreme otaku-like figures roaming my region.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 18:54   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The annual anime convention in my city isn't huge (compared to the Seattle or Los Angeles / San Diego conventions, but it is pretty well attended. There's also several japanese holiday festivals that usually draws j-stuff fans in (though sometimes the local faction of emo-drama horrible cosplay social dysfunctionals show up).

Seriously, this little subgroup is embarrassing - they put maybe two seconds thought into their outfits and look like they've rolled out of bed. Then they proceed to create drama with each other - last year a vendor had a fit at them and said to take their damned soap opera away from his stand or he'd call the police. General applause....

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-08-28 at 21:32.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 19:21   Link #104
Mephos

The anime situation in Iowa is like this. It holds an ok anime fanbase and AnimeIowa has a pretty large attendance last time I checked. That said, said fanbase are usually very distant from others in places where they can only talk about anime with their friends who also like anime and the general populace who only know about Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach.
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 21:35   Link #105
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephos View Post
The anime situation in Iowa is like this. It holds an ok anime fanbase and AnimeIowa has a pretty large attendance last time I checked. That said, said fanbase are usually very distant from others in places where they can only talk about anime with their friends who also like anime and the general populace who only know about Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach.
And yeah, that's probably a large problem for almost any one ... is that a large percentage of anime fans really aren't "anime fans". They are Naruto fans or Bleach fans. It is exactly the same as if I said I'm a "tv fan" when I only watch one television series (e.g. NCIS). Well, I don't do that I'd say I was an NCIS fan.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:07   Link #106
MartianMage

I don't know the local fandom here in the Philippines right now since I stopped following it years ago but I'm pretty sure it's still stuck with mainstream and old stuff(the big three, old anime like Geass etc.) I guess majority of the people here are more of a tv watcher.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 07:41   Link #107
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ Nope, it's more popular here than you'd think.

At least in my age group, that is.
Old 2012-09-02, 08:21   Link #108
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Ano ba yan? I mean, many of the viewers here in the Philippines watched anime in TV and cable... Hmmm.. with the censorship... the amount of animes being watched is kinda limited... to the point that its being played over and over again.... thank God to the internet... R+15 are reachable....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:23   Link #109
MartianMage

Well the basis for my assumption is the situation at PEX which is probably the most popular Filipino forums. Of course I know it's not really a forum dedicated to the anime fandom but yeah... I mean look at the anime boards there and it's still the old stuff and the mainstream stuff that gets discussed. You try to talk about the newer stuff and only 1-2 people post... I just stopped following it really and just migrated here lol.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 02:08   Link #110
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Don't worry, the situation of "which cosplayers dress up as who" reveals that their exposure to anime series is actually more than just the mainstream ones, MartianMage.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 05:41   Link #111
stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Ano ba yan? I mean, many of the viewers here in the Philippines watched anime in TV and cable... Hmmm.. with the censorship... the amount of animes being watched is kinda limited... to the point that its being played over and over again.... thank God to the internet... R+15 are reachable....
Anime on TV and cable is kinda old anyway so I watch it on internet.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-03, 07:59   Link #112
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
Anime on TV and cable is kinda old anyway so I watch it on internet.
Way toooooo old .... Slam dunk is like since high school!!!!!
Old 2012-09-08, 02:06   Link #113
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
... pse, yun lang ang nakakainis e: CENSORSH*T. Sorry for being a total a-hole about this (you are warned).

Also, HERO TV can't offer better anime for an "a-hole" like me. One more thing, when I thought that the same channel skipped both season 2 and 3 of Zero no Tsukaima in order to give way to the final series, I was wrong there. But still, why some anime with Filipino dubbers got a different "feel" for me? IDK, maybe I was really a total "a-hole" original-content lover. Lastly (there are rumors), is it true that GMA 7 returned Fairy Tail on the list of their shows? Just asking.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:52   Link #114
stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaisian View Post
... pse, yun lang ang nakakainis e: CENSORSH*T. Sorry for being a total a-hole about this (you are warned).

Also, HERO TV can't offer better anime for an "a-hole" like me. One more thing, when I thought that the same channel skipped both season 2 and 3 of Zero no Tsukaima in order to give way to the final series, I was wrong there. But still, why some anime with Filipino dubbers got a different "feel" for me? IDK, maybe I was really a total "a-hole" original-content lover. Lastly (there are rumors), is it true that GMA 7 returned Fairy Tail on the list of their shows? Just asking.
I managed to catch Fairy Tail nung Friday morning so yeah it's up.

I'm also a big a-hole when it comes to dubs because they just never get it right.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 19:58   Link #115
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Eh, you have to be more understanding of the limitations of Filipino dubs.
Take note that these people are pros, lending their voices not only on anime series, but on commercials, radio dramas and live action series.

Actually, they are very much better than the dubs gotten by other countries (see that comparison dub of Vegeta's "over 9000" line in Youtube).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 20:43   Link #116
winterbaby
вelιnda

That's a really funny question. Most people where I live don't watch anime (I don't understand why they don't watch it). Like the only people they watch anime is like 3 friends of mine and me.
Old 2012-09-08, 21:12   Link #117
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
That's a really funny question. Most people where I live don't watch anime (I don't understand why they don't watch it). Like the only people they watch anime is like 3 friends of mine and me.
There is a mentality that anime is no different from cartoon. I often encountered situations that they think I'm a still a kid if I watch anime... ( Maybe I need to watch H anime to proved it has adult stuffs as well)
Old 2012-09-10, 01:22   Link #118
cardcaptorkitty
Clow Card Master

Eh, it's a little bit of a tough call. Anime has a presence - there's a couple shelves in the local comic book shop and bookstores, plus the local colleges have clubs, but honestly it's kind of rare that I've seen an actual anime fan "in the wild."

The most recent one I can think of is when I was in Hot Topic one day and this guy complimented something I was wearing while I was looking through their anime shirts; apparently his girlfriend introduced him to a bunch of series and while he didn't know the names, by just describing them I was able to name them right off the bat. That was a few months ago.

Once in a while I'll see someone with a shirt or something but it's not that common for me. When we had a Borders in the area I used to be able to strike up conversations with random manga loving folks all the time. The Barnes and Noble we have leftover doesn't have nearly as a nice selection and I hardly see anyone. The Best Buy section seems to get smaller and smaller every time I stop in. I guess it's just become easier to pick up things online.

Anyway, it's mostly with the younger generation. A good amount of my friends are acquainted with it, only a few still watch it on occasion, and I'm the only one I know who watches it regularly. I don't know anyone that much older than me who is into it or even recognizes it. It's still a niche kind of thing, y'know?

As a Marylander, though, we get Otakon, so I get to mingle with folks there. Too bad it's only once a year. I still should go to Katsucon and Anime USA one of these times - they're closer to DC but they're still close... I'm a local and I still haven't been... and I've been going to Otakon for almost ten years now!
Old 2012-09-11, 04:32   Link #119
Lenaisian
The Undead Summoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ Eh, you have to be more understanding of the limitations of Filipino dubs.
Take note that these people are pros, lending their voices not only on anime series, but on commercials, radio dramas and live action series.

Actually, they are very much better than the dubs gotten by other countries (see that comparison dub of Vegeta's "over 9000" line in Youtube).
... yea, sorry about that. It's not that I detest our own countrymen, but Filipino-dubbed anime has a different "feel" for me... so, yea, I'm a douchebag when it comes to that matter.
Old 2012-09-11, 04:36   Link #120
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenaisian View Post
... yea, sorry about that. It's not that I detest our own countrymen, but Filipino-dubbed anime has a different "feel" for me... so, yea, I'm a douchebag when it comes to that matter.
Old Filipino dubbers ( of Princess Sara, Prince Cidy, Sailormoon, etc ) are no doubt good... I still hear them dub in some animes.