AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-29, 21:39   Link #141
Cadallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
In the next ep preview, Benten said, "月が綺麗ですねと言われても(Tsuki ga kirei desune ne to iwarete mo.. "Even if you say, The moon sure looks nice.")".

This phrase is derived from a famous episode that a poplar novelist Soseki Natsume translated "I love you" into Japanese as "月が綺麗ですね(The moon sure looks nice tonight.)".
Which all good Persona fans should know

This series is great fun, and immensely entertaining!
Cadallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 21:41   Link #142
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadallin View Post
Which all good Persona fans should know

This series is great fun, and immensely entertaining!
BUuuuuurn my dreeeeeeeeeead!
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 21:45   Link #143
Cadallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
BUuuuuurn my dreeeeeeeeeead!
Try telling Yasuburou that!
Cadallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 07:53   Link #144
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I love this series.... Why did I missed this..?! It reminds me of Miyazaki-sama!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-30, 08:06   Link #145
cyth
Banned

Episode one does the series such terrible disservice. So Friday guys up next episode, huh.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 12:35   Link #146
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Benten is the most attractive woman of the season. There's something about her that makes her terribly alluring. I'm curious to find out more about her. She remains very mysterious.

The Friday Fellows are all surprisingly good people for tanuki eaters. Not exactly what I expected.
Old 2013-08-04, 13:02   Link #147
Dop
Mmmm....

What a beautiful image to end the episode with
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for Those Friday Fellows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Benten is the most attractive woman of the season. There's something about her that makes her terribly alluring. I'm curious to find out more about her. She remains very mysterious.
Oh yes. She's a wonderful character - the sort of woman you'd fall heavily for even with the sure knowledge she'd completely screw up your life - she's like a flame to a moth.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:03   Link #148
Beltane70

To be honest, I was actually hoping that the Friday Fellows were going to turn out to be just as they were presented in this episode.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:13   Link #149
Sol Falling

Haha. It seems at least one of them shares Benten's own twisted compulsion to eat up something that they like, however. Benten's desire to eat Yasaburo up some day seems like a real inevitablity. The grief she expresses over the scenario is shallow given she herself is still determined to instigate it.

Kaisei is freakin' cute. I totally want to see her fighting with Benten over Yasaburo, lol. Depending on the execution their interactions have the potential to be awesomely dramatic or incredibly adorable.

Anyway, the Friday Fellows are still pretty mysterious. It doesn't look like they have tanuki guests all that often if they seemed to be impressed with Yasaburo's transformation performance. Since they at least know about tanuki I have to wonder about their role within supernatural society, and how that reflects upon the knowledge of the rest of human society.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:30   Link #150
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Since they at least know about tanuki I have to wonder about their role within supernatural society, and how that reflects upon the knowledge of the rest of human society.
Actually, given the way the professor described his encounter with Yasaburo's mother i sort of doubt that any of the humans at that party aside from Benten realize that tanuki are anything more than dumb animals; note the disbelief around the table when the professor claimed that the tanuki he'd rescued understood that he'd done her a favor.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:33   Link #151
Blaat

Indeed, they know about transforming Tanuki because it's part of Japanese folklore.
Old 2013-08-04, 17:24   Link #152
Shadow5YA

I like how Yasaburo has the guts to striptease as Benten despite knowing she could turn him into dead meat
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 19:20   Link #153
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This. Specially with this dress and the full moon part
I also love her relation with Yasaburo.
Quote:
Since they at least know about tanuki I have to wonder about their role within supernatural society, and how that reflects upon the knowledge of the rest of human society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Actually, given the way the professor described his encounter with Yasaburo's mother i sort of doubt that any of the humans at that party aside from Benten realize that tanuki are anything more than dumb animals; note the disbelief around the table when the professor claimed that the tanuki he'd rescued understood that he'd done her a favor.
Tanukis seem to be considered as primitive beings otherwise humans wouldn't eat tanukis. That's what I'd think but it's so weird : there was this disbelief although Yasaburo was here and was an evidence that tanukis are as intelligent as humans but still they weren't bothered at all talking about hot pots and eating tanukis.
Old 2013-08-04, 19:28   Link #154
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Tanukis seem to be considered as primitive beings otherwise humans wouldn't eat tanukis. That's what I'd think but it's so weird : there was this disbelief although Yasaburo was here and was an evidence that tanukis are as intelligent as humans but still they weren't bothered at all talking about hot pots and eating tanukis.
When Benten and Yasaburo confirmed that he was a tanuki the Friday Fellows may have thought they were making a joke, given Yasaburo's excellent 'transformation show.' They were amazed by how well it was done, which they shouldn't have been if they really believed that magical, shape-shifting tanuki actually existed. The tanuki is an actual animal (distantly related to dogs), so i'm thinking that (plus folklore on how they can change shape) is probably the limit of their knowledge on the subject.
Old 2013-08-04, 19:37   Link #155
GundamZZ
残念美人

This show is so different from The Tatami Galaxy, even they have same author. It's different in style and pacing.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:03   Link #156
Sol Falling

Quote:
When Benten and Yasaburo confirmed that he was a tanuki the Friday Fellows may have thought they were making a joke, given Yasaburo's excellent 'transformation show.' They were amazed by how well it was done, which they shouldn't have been if they really believed that magical, shape-shifting tanuki actually existed. The tanuki is an actual animal (distantly related to dogs), so i'm thinking that (plus folklore on how they can change shape) is probably the limit of their knowledge on the subject.
What about Benten flying out the window though? That's what gives me pause about assuming the Friday Fellows really don't know anything about the supernatural.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 21:25   Link #157
Alhazred

Quote:
What about Benten flying out the window though? That's what gives me pause about assuming the Friday Fellows really don't know anything about the supernatural.
That's an interesting question. It's possible they know about supernatural things like Benten flying but don't necessarily have the whole picture. For some reason that feels easier to accept than a group of otherwise pleasant-seeming folks who have no compunctions at all about eating a guy they were just having a friendly conversation with.

It looks like the next episode will give us a bit more insight into how the humans view Benten's magic, however.
Old 2013-08-04, 21:42   Link #158
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Kaisei really is great, too bad her family is crazy. Too bad Benten finally caught Yasaburo. Interesting that the guy his mom owes her life to is apart of the Friday Fellows and apparently the one that likes to eat tanuki the most. Benten looking unnaturally sad towards the end. If she's going to feel like that she shouldn't eat him.
Old 2013-08-04, 23:05   Link #159
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I lost my shit at:

"If you eat the thing you'll like, then it'll be gone!"
"Obviously, you can't have your tanuki and eat it too."

This show is just fucking amazing week by week. Best thing I've watched/seeing this year since Shin Sekai Yori.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 04:27   Link #160
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
That's an interesting question. It's possible they know about supernatural things like Benten flying but don't necessarily have the whole picture.
It looks like there are two worlds, the mundane world and the supernatural world and they don't intersect much unless the supernatural creatures like the tanuki or tengu intend it. Thus we humans wouldn't or couldn't see Benten fly above the rooftops of Kyoto at night or observe the leisure cruisers of tanuki society in the sky during the fireworks festival. On the other hand Yasaburo can put on a "quick-change" act for the Seven Lucky Gods and they have no problem seeing him do it because he did it deliberately.

It may be partly a "I'm seeing things, didn't happen" cloaking effect and partly "this only affects the supernatural world" like the drowned clocktower and the whale in episode 4 -- that locale doesn't exist in the mundane world but it is real in the supernatural realm, perhaps only while Yasaburo and Benten think it exists.

Last edited by nojay; 2013-08-05 at 04:57.
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works