AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-05-13, 12:42   Link #241
james0246

^Admittedly, part of the reason he can't be understood (probably the largest part) is the fact that he can change every few years into someone completely new. So, even if they do reveal a name for the Doctor, that doesn't necessarily mean the overall mystery of the character will suffer, though the mystique will be somewhat lessened.

That being said, good episode. Sadly, while the Cybermen are actually turned into a decent threatening force for the first time in seemingly decades (I've always though the Cybermen were one of the more frightening monsters, if only because they didn't want to kill like so many others, but rather control and forcibly convert. Sadly they seldom get good enough story lines, and often times find themselves playing second fiddle to other threats.), the episode suffers from pacing issues and for Clara being a little too OOC (she has spent the last however many episodes being scared or at least cautious when not with the doctor, but now she can lead a platoon of fighters and develop battle strategies?), not to mention the random children who serve no purpose other than an occasional one-liner. Still, with Matt Smith turning in a grand performance and Warwick Davis quite literally commanding the stage around him, this was a very good episode for the actors even if there were significant problems throughout. Maybe if this wasn't a penultimate episode, I would have liked it more...82/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-15, 04:11   Link #242
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am 12 minutes into the Cybermen episode, and I want the two kids to die. Seriously, they are everything that is wrong with companions. Is the only reason they are in the episode, to balance out how smart Clara is in comparison? It's working, but the fact is the two kids are brain dead.

And I have seen the chess scene. It is true; the boy must be in the chess club of a school for mentally retarded children. Or maybe the script writer thinks all kids are dumb?

EDIT: saw the whole thing. All things considered it wasn't a bad episode. I just feel the children are an artificial insertion and don't really have any purpose in the plot. Interesting that we found out Clara is a Companion only on a part-time basis, and that she goes home after each adventure.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-05-15 at 04:47.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 12:56   Link #243
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

3 minutes till the ultimate question in the universe is answered, go for the last toilet break, prepare your tea, have a box of tissues ready for emergency bawling.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 14:53   Link #244
Dop
Mmmm....

Spoiler for The Name of the Doctor:

Spoiler for Previous spoiler:

Spoiler for "Both previous spoilers!:

That was really underwhelming and quite terrible fanwank. I think Moffat must be dusting off his teenage fanboy fanfic or something.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 20:09   Link #245
Kirarakim

It was actually somewhat better than I was expecting but considering how the rest of the season has gone (at least since Clara has joined) my expectations have been pretty low.

I am not really sure what I feel about the storyline itself but I kind of liked Clara's role and
Spoiler:

It does feel a bit like fanfiction though!

And then I found out the 50th anniversary special is airing the day I am flying to Japan, so I guess I will have to wait a bit longer on that.
Old 2013-05-19, 03:51   Link #246
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

The last episode of the 7th series was great. And that introducing at the end...

For those who didn't watch, I have to say one thing:

Spoilers.
Old 2013-05-19, 18:36   Link #247
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Well I guess it's safe to say Clara did not get the TARDIS phone number in Bells of St John from River since she didnt know her.

I loved the epi, I loved seeing all the Doctor's, I loved how 11 ignore River since he knew it would hurt. I love Vastra and Jenny together. Really wondering how John Hurt is gonna factor in to all of this.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 19:14   Link #248
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Well I guess it's safe to say Clara did not get the TARDIS phone number in Bells of St John from River since she didnt know her.

I loved the epi, I loved seeing all the Doctor's, I loved how 11 ignore River since he knew it would hurt. I love Vastra and Jenny together. Really wondering how John Hurt is gonna factor in to all of this.
The portrayal of all the modern Doctors was that of a damage war veteran. So no doubt the 8.5 Doctor would be critical in portraying how they all got so damaged.
Old 2013-05-19, 21:09   Link #249
james0246

What's with Steve Moffat ending his seasons with episodes about the Doctor's death?

Matt Smith was amazing. Clara's secret was okay. John Hurt was a wonderful addition and I'm eagerly awaiting his reveal next season. Still overly confusing episode and needlessly silly (the grammar lesson was the best part...and Clara's dress ). Great half season, okay episode. 75/100.
Old 2013-05-20, 18:45   Link #250
Lost Cause

I'm smelling a back story! John Hurt as "The Doctor"? Hmmm.... Could we finally get the story of why he left Gallifrey? The Time War?
I Thoroughly enjoyed this episode! It kept me on the edge of my seat, and the ending was a real "WTF?!" moment in a good way. Can't wait for the next season!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 12:38   Link #251
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Just wondering. The Time Lords can regenerate 12 times. So that means that there will be TWO more Doctors, since we can't count the 1st Doctor, because the first regeneration was the 2nd Doctor, right? Going by this, the 11th Doctor is the tenth regeneration, and since John Hurt is the LAST Doctor, then there should be one more beside him.
Old 2013-05-23, 13:14   Link #252
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Just wondering. The Time Lords can regenerate 12 times. So that means that there will be TWO more Doctors, since we can't count the 1st Doctor, because the first regeneration was the 2nd Doctor, right? Going by this, the 11th Doctor is the tenth regeneration, and since John Hurt is the LAST Doctor, then there should be one more beside him.
The Master once referenced 13 incarnations plus another named The Valeyard (who came between the 12th and 13th). We don't know who John Hurt is (we're not even sure if he is part of the Doctor's regenerations or simply a copy or a manifestation of another aspect of the Doctor (the Dream Lord)) nor do we know if he is the last or not, and since River gave all her incarnations to the Doctor (in the episode "Let's Kill Hitler) there could be even more incarnations than previously thought (hopefully female ones at that).
Old 2013-05-23, 15:20   Link #253
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsundere Louise View Post
Time Lords can regenerate as often as the BBC need them to

The Master was given an extra set of regenerations at some point, and afaik in The Sarah Jane Adventures the 11th doctor stated he had '507' regenerations in total (which was Davies having fun with the fans).
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 20:31   Link #254
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Last episode of this season came so soon. Thoroughly enjoyed it though! Was sort of scared yet anxious to know the doctor's name. River really does keep spoilers to herself.
Now, John Hurt as the doctor? SHOCK. I'm thinking we'll finally get to know why the doctor left the Time War and Gallifrey in the next season. Maybe. Can't wait for next season but it's in NOVEMBER. Ah...the many months us whovians have to wait.
Old 2013-05-25, 10:22   Link #255
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Commander Strax answer kids questions.

Old 2013-05-25, 11:00   Link #256
Lost Cause

I love the little potato head!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 18:49   Link #257
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There are many rumors of a spinoff series with Vastra's detective agency, but I think it'd be much more fun to see Strax as a companion (yeah, fat chance).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 19:19   Link #258
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Wut, noone asked Strax about the Rutans?
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 20:05   Link #259
Midnight2352
Midnight
*Author

Haha! Strax is so funny. He is the new Mr. Potato Head.
Old 2013-06-01, 17:46   Link #260
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

*sigh* The day Ive been dreading has come

Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who

He'll regen in the Christmas special.

He's my Doctor. This is gonna be hard.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags