AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2010-01-12, 20:11   Link #1
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Ore no Imouto - Light Novel & Manga Discussion Thread

Light Novel Cover

Manga Cover

Synopsis: Wikipedia
Quote:
Kyōsuke Kōsaka, a normal seventeen-year-old high school student, has not gotten along with his younger sister Kirino in years. For longer than he can remember, Kirino has ignored his comings and goings and looked at him with spurning eyes. It seemed as if the relationship between Kyōsuke and his sister, now fourteen, would continue this way forever. One day however, Kyōsuke finds a DVD case of a magical girl anime entitled Hoshikuzu Witch Meruru (星くず☆うぃっちメルル?, Stardust Witch Meruru) which had fallen in his house's entrance way. To Kyōsuke's surprise, inside the case is a hidden adult video game titled Imōto to Koishiyo! (妹と恋しよっ♪?, Love with Little Sister!). Kyōsuke attempts to fish out the culprit who dropped the case...
Current Novel Translations
Himatsubushi

Current Manga Scanslations
DBR via Mangahelpers

Characters: (Pictures from Himatsubushi website)

Kousaka Kirino
The titular character of the series. 14 years old and works part time as a model, which is a no brainer considering how pretty she is described. I guess Tsundere is the best word to describe her, though her dere side is pretty much nonexistent at this point.

Kousaka Kyousuke
Main protagonist. If Kirino is the Haruhi, Kyousuke is the Kyon of the series. A bit more spineless than Kyon, but his occasional snide remarks in his head is priceless. So much so that the manga does not do it justice because it simply cannot depict all his thoughts. Since he has a real little sister, he just cannot comprehend all the otaku-stuff that has wish-fulfillment to 'loving' your little sister, which is half of the amusing stuff that goes on in the book.

Tamura Manami
The plain Jane osananajimi of Kyousuke in the same year. Very smart, yet a bit air-headed. If I have to say, her relationship with Kyousuke is very much akin to Misao/Tomo in Asura Cryin'; a little bit of teasing here and there from both sides, but its obvious from the get go that they're the best of friends.

General Opinion:
I actually liked the characters most about this series; I dunno, but I find them to be more 'real' than your typical anime/manga/light novel character. From Kirino's insecurities to Kyou vehemently against siscon tendencies to Manami's sincerity, it's just like you took these people from real life and just plopped them into the situation in the story (which to be fair, is really out there lol). Overall, a recommend read, especially the novel version.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 20:33   Link #2
LusterFlare
Lost.

Nice to know there are novel translations going on. I've read like 11 chapters of the manga in Chinese and I liked it.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 21:11   Link #3
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Oh I had read this on MF just after it was put on, I spied the "imouto" in the title so thought I'd check it out for something fun to read, don't know why I thought fun but just did.
Anyway after seeing this thread I went back to refresh my memories and is quite a nice read, nothing great or totally awesome just very nice so far, if it keeps with that feeling I think it will become a real fav of mines.
Stories with that nice reading feel tend to be big hits with me.

Best bit of the 1st chapter is Kyou thinking about the suspects, I so loled at what he thought would be the most likely person, thats some real comedy gold that is
Old 2010-01-12, 21:54   Link #4
Kunagisa

I didn't know there are other people besides baka-tsuki that translates novels. This is pretty awesome in regard to that.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 22:01   Link #5
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Ok I am busy with a school project so that might have something to do with it. This stuff is so interesting. O-o I couldn't w8 for the next manga chapter and started reading the novel(I don't read novels mind you). It's good stuff. Definitely worth reading. I have feeling this can be better than toradora. o_O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 22:57   Link #6
LotionExplosion
is in Despair

YAY! I finally found translations for this, Baka Tsuki aint doing it, so Yea I'll read it soon enough
LotionExplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 23:33   Link #7
Raiga
tl;dr

So I'm like oh I've heard of that, I'll just read a few paragraphs and see what this is all about aaaand next thing I know I'm hooked. Dunno if I'll just wait for the next LN chapter to be translated or start the manga in the meantime, but a very entertaining read with some interesting characters. Can't wait to see where it goes.
Old 2010-01-12, 23:46   Link #8
Xacual

Well the manga translations are even further behind the novel ones. I'm happy you pointed out someone was doing novel translations or I would never have found them. Was a good read and I can't wait for the next chapter now.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 00:39   Link #9
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Spoiler for Light Novel:
Old 2010-01-13, 00:40   Link #10
Clarste
Human

The novel was pretty funny, but I don't really like the art in the manga.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 00:57   Link #11
Falkor

I have to say the light novel is so much fun to read... :P liked the first chapter a lot; liked the second one, too.

out of the three (?) characters so far presented, I think I've started to like childhood friend a lot more than the others. yeah, she is described as plain (even with her character design), but there's something about her, I don't know. maybe it's the way she talks, the way her conversations with the main character seem so entertaining and fun to read (like being called a granny). reminded me a bit of Aoba Tsugumi, :P

on the other hand, the two siblings are an interesting pair, I guess. one is clueless about her situation and the kind of games she plays; the other one is too aware of her sister, so to speak. it makes for some interesting conflict, I would say; but I'm having a bit of trouble to find anything to like about them.

@Bonta Kun

I wouldn't want Rie doing yet another tsundere kind of role. haven't we got enough of those?

on the other hand, Haruka Tomatsu would be the perfect choice for imouto. :P
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 01:40   Link #12
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Well the manga translations are even further behind the novel ones.
Ah, was wondering about that. Well, my decision is made it seems. XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Holy crap I can totally imagine that. I'll be reading all her lines in future chapters with Tomatsu's voice in my head.
Old 2010-01-13, 02:39   Link #13
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The novel was pretty funny, but I don't really like the art in the manga.
I actually thought the manga art was vastly superior to the novel insert art.

Quote:
Well the manga translations are even further behind the novel ones.
Ah this was because the RAW provider for the manga originally wanted to start doing this back in last early October (someone from another group wanted to start when it was in chapter 1, but ... school took so much of his time that he doesn't even scanlate anymore), but he loved the art so much that he waited for the tankoubon version, which didn't come till end of October.

He had the book sent to his other group leader in Toronto to be scanned, then then project started going underway when the original purchaser gave this RAW to DBR (coincide with end of school + holiday), and on and on so it took so long. Though they have the whole book scanned at least, just need editing and translations obviously.

Speaking of which, the 5th volume of the novel came out recently (like literally a couple days ago).
Old 2010-01-13, 02:42   Link #14
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I actually thought the manga art was vastly superior to the novel insert art.
I don't care for the insert art much either. For the manga, I thought it was a bit too sparse to the point where I couldn't tell what was going on. Too many close-ups too. Just my taste, technically speaking I think it was decently drawn.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 03:05   Link #15
Jze0
Hmmm...

Glad to hear the light novels are being translated... was thinking no one was going to pick it up.
Old 2010-01-13, 03:08   Link #16
LusterFlare
Lost.

For any of you Chinese readers, four volumes of the novel seem to translated here.
Old 2010-01-13, 04:05   Link #17
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
@Bonta Kun

I wouldn't want Rie doing yet another tsundere kind of role. haven't we got enough of those?

lol yea we have way too many tsunderes roles for Miss Rie but just cause its something quite a typical I can't help but think of her for the role, I think it could be a problem for the future for me-__-

but hell yea for Haruka Tomatsu, that I would love to see

about the art style, I quite like it, its rather striking to me.
Kinda gives the same feel as Nyan Koi, somewhat simple yet detailed enough to be really good.

or maybe I just plainly love how Kirino looks
Old 2010-01-16, 03:31   Link #18
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
For any of you Chinese readers, four volumes of the novel seem to translated here.
The recently released volume 5 was translated by a group of 6 in 5 days (don't ask me how they go to school, major in computer programming, raid semi-hardcore in WoW, and read tons of manga and other light novels and still get this out so quick). You can find it at the place where you can find all the CN translated Lightnovel.

Also spoiler picture ...

Spoiler for volume 5:
Old 2010-01-16, 04:33   Link #19
Xacual

Spoiler for Volume 5 Spoiler Picture:

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 05:03   Link #20
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Spoiler for Volume 5 Spoiler Picture:
Spoiler for pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Also spoiler picture ...

Spoiler for volume 5:
Spoiler for pic:

Last edited by LusterFlare; 2010-01-16 at 19:41.

Tags
comedy, harem, romance, shounen, siblings