AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-19, 03:03   Link #1321
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
And to be fair, the male-oriented shows have far worse offenders amongst their blank sheet hot girlfriend characters
Hot girlfriend characters? How about the male leads themselves? I mean, those seem to have been made intentionally bland for the sake of making it easier for the audience to imagine themselves as them. If anything the female characters tend to be rather distinct... Completely unrealistic and exaggerated, certainly, but still with clear personality traits.
Unless we're not even thinking of the same type of shows here, anyway.

But yeah, one of the main things I'm really hoping for in this show, is that all the lead characters including Mamoru get a decent amount of focus and development. Actually though, for what I said about the manga treating him better earlier, it's occurred to me that, with the exception of Mamoru, the anime has better characterization for damn near everyone. So I suppose if I were to just quickly sum up my hopes for this series... Give us a plot that's constantly developing and moving forward, like the manga has, coupled with the more in-depth character-development present in the anime. Because really, I'm halfway through the manga now and I'm getting a bit tired of all the completely nondescript antagonists who just show up and get killed off before they even get a chance to leave an impression.
Old 2014-03-19, 05:15   Link #1322
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Hot girlfriend characters? How about the male leads themselves? I mean, those seem to have been made intentionally bland for the sake of making it easier for the audience to imagine themselves as them. If anything the female characters tend to be rather distinct... Completely unrealistic and exaggerated, certainly, but still with clear personality traits.
No, I was specifically talking about the love interest, main characters are a different topic altogether. Although I do agree on them often being blank sheet self inserts (hi there, Kirito..) to varying degrees. I was specifically comparing the male love interest in this show to the female equivalent though, so I didn't mention it since it didn't seem relevant to the point.
Well, personally I don't consider the 'perfect girlfriend' type as being distinct compared to characters with a purpose other than being the trophy, as they're all pretty much interchangeable, with minor differences. Compared to some of those, Mamoru probably isn't all that bad- and if we're talking main characters, neither is Usagi. The thing I like about Sailor Moon is, since the cast is so diverse and it actually has a story to tell, it can really do without blank sheet wish fulfilment characters. So while Mamoru is certainly the blandest out of the bunch, he isn't as bad as some others out there.. IMO at least
Old 2014-03-19, 07:33   Link #1323
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

So...those that have read the Sailor Moon manga, would this new series be a vast improvement over the old?
Old 2014-03-19, 08:18   Link #1324
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
So...those that have read the Sailor Moon manga, would this new series be a vast improvement over the old?
Well, that'd depend on who you'd ask, assuming the anime will more closely resemble the manga (which we're not 100% sure of). The Anime has it's fans and so does the manga (which I favor over the older anime). Again assuming the new anime is closer to the manga, IMHO it'd be better since the Manga's story was overall better, more darker, had better character development & progression, and more dramatic. But there are those that disagree with me, so it's really a matter of perspective (which is how art is, some would regard an art piece as bad an others as good). But the best way we can judge is when the series airs and we watch a few episodes, or maybe the entire first season.

One f the big questions for me is which company here in the U.S. will have exclusive dubbing & publishing rights, and if the potential dubb would air on Toonami. That would be a huge trip of nostalgia for me.
Old 2014-03-19, 12:53   Link #1325
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post

But yeah, one of the main things I'm really hoping for in this show, is that all the lead characters including Mamoru get a decent amount of focus and development. Actually though, for what I said about the manga treating him better earlier, it's occurred to me that, with the exception of Mamoru, the anime has better characterization for damn near everyone. So I suppose if I were to just quickly sum up my hopes for this series... Give us a plot that's constantly developing and moving forward, like the manga has, coupled with the more in-depth character-development present in the anime. Because really, I'm halfway through the manga now and I'm getting a bit tired of all the completely nondescript antagonists who just show up and get killed off before they even get a chance to leave an impression.

The random love interest in a non-harem or harem-like story.
Old 2014-03-19, 13:24   Link #1326
whitecloud

darker?? compare it to urobuchi in scale 1 to 10?
Old 2014-03-22, 05:16   Link #1327
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Official English Webpage is open
Old 2014-03-24, 23:42   Link #1328
Sophie
succubus
*IT Support

Man, the English logo is so much easier on the eyes than the Japanese.
Old 2014-03-26, 17:15   Link #1329
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I'm glad Sailor Moon's back.

I think it's safe to say now that I secretly watched it back in the day.

My favorite girls have always been Minako, Rei, and Makoto (Secret Fave: Setsuna)

This show influenced some of my major preferences in anime.

Minako is the headstrong (slightly goofy), heroic shonen girl that's all about justice. (The OG Sailor)

Rei is part of the reason I have a weakness to Tall, Dark, Bishoujos. (Look at my Avatar, Sig, and Profile Pic)

Makoto brings dat ponytail game to the mainstream.

Setsuna is the cool beauty/onee-sama.

Spoiler for space:
Old 2014-04-02, 17:49   Link #1330
Galaxian

Momoiro Clover Z singing Moonlight Densetsu live, I hear that this is going to be the opening for Crystal...

I find it funny because the same thing happened to Saint Seiya's original opening, Pegasus Fantasy, when Omega started 2 years ago.
Old 2014-04-02, 23:44   Link #1331
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

The next musical was confirmed in production by the official twitter. This time it's the Black Moon arc, which is nice that they acknowledge anything past Moon Kingdom.

Quote:
Momoiro Clover Z singing Moonlight Densetsu live, I hear that this is going to be the opening for Crystal...
Nah. It's not. Producers stated as much on multiple occasions. This new anime is going to have new music as well.
Old 2014-04-03, 17:20   Link #1332
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
The next musical was confirmed in production by the official twitter. This time it's the Black Moon arc, which is nice that they acknowledge anything past Moon Kingdom.

Nah. It's not. Producers stated as much on multiple occasions. This new anime is going to have new music as well.
It's a well known Sailor Moon song. It has to make an appearance in the anime even if it's an insert song.
Old 2014-04-03, 22:12   Link #1333
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's a well known Sailor Moon song. It has to make an appearance in the anime even if it's an insert song.
It hasn't. It didn't show up in the tokusatsu series. I agree that it's iconic but if they're trying to distance themselves from the old show, they don't have to use it.
Old 2014-04-18, 06:35   Link #1334
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Main cast will be revealed on April 27th, according to the official twitter.

Update: additionally, designs of characters other than Sailor Moon will be shown.

Last edited by Daniel Lind; 2014-04-18 at 12:58.
Old 2014-04-18, 06:51   Link #1335
T-6000

I used google translator to see what the new info was about, and in the wonky translation it said "the production secret story of new anime to be worried about". Any idea what that's about? Or is it just the translator being cooky (as usual)?
Old 2014-04-18, 12:14   Link #1336
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

It's just about the cast and visuals being announced, from what I saw. So yes, translator being useless Id say.
Old 2014-04-19, 00:43   Link #1337
xizro345
King's Justice

While I still have my doubts about this series in general, a good move would be to ditch the old cast completely and go for fresh blood.
Old 2014-04-19, 04:42   Link #1338
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
While I still have my doubts about this series in general, a good move would be to ditch the old cast completely and go for fresh blood.
Oh no you didn't...
That's taking off basically all that made Sailormoon a reference.
Old 2014-04-19, 06:14   Link #1339
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

You've been saying that for months now.... If you mean the voice cast, I agree. There could be cameos (Star Trek Style) but largely, I'd prefer a fresh cast. Pretty sure that's what we're getting too.

If you mean the characters themselves, then that would be bizarre
Old 2014-04-19, 06:48   Link #1340
xizro345
King's Justice

I've said I wanted a completely different story from both the manga and the anime, and sadly that's not going to happen anyway.

As for the cast, while it's true most of them are still active (I think only a couple of them retired, IIRC), they're past their prime. Also it would help to remove any mental image linked to the original series, since they stressed it's something different from the old anime.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo