AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-26, 01:55   Link #1
Apostle_Kyon

Existential Anime

I'm looking for anime with a story that has at least somewhat of an Existential feel.. something in the same league as the following (yeah, I know it's still kinda broad):

Evangelion
Naruto
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Noir
.hack (Sign and Roots)
Paranoia Agent
Madlax
Welcome to the NHK
Cowboy Bebop
Narutaru
Boogiepop Phantom
Serial Experiments Lain

Any recent and preferably unlicensed anime I'm missing that sort of "fits in" with these in having Existential themes?
Old 2006-09-26, 02:22   Link #2
jedinat

There's a lot of anime with uhhh, Existentialism ( had to look up the word real quick ^^; )

Haibane Renmei
Pale Cocoon
Kurau Phantom Memory
Kiddy Grade

I really like the first three...
Old 2006-09-26, 09:14   Link #3
Budweineken
Crap

You might want to give Texhnolize and probably Scrapped Princess a try.
Old 2006-09-26, 09:31   Link #4
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Try watching Vandread season 1 and 2. It has an existential feel around it.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-09-26, 10:27   Link #5
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I hope I have gotten the definition of existentialism right, so I won't mislead you with my recommendations.

Simoun
Haibane Renmei
Wolf's Rain

Old 2006-09-26, 11:10   Link #6
miaka

Try Shakugan no Shana, however it is licensed.
Old 2006-09-27, 09:25   Link #7
Unnilhexium

Maybe you could try Kino no Tabi (also known as
Kino's Travels or Kino's Journey). It's quite new
(2003) but it's licensed (by ADV), and I think
that if you are looking for something "vaguely"
existential, you definitely wouldn't waste your
time by watching it, even if it doesn't exactly
fits your criteria. There's a movie too.

Good Luck.

P.S: Sorry for my english.
Old 2006-09-27, 13:08   Link #8
Cogwheim
Former Immortal, Future:

Send a message via AIM to Cogwheim
It seems as if nearly anything can have an existential "feel" to it, so long as one is actively searching for existential themes. Existentialism in novels, movies, television shows, newspapers, and the old aluminum baseball bat under your bed is simple enough to find; finding existential phenomena is a completely subjective procedure, and can become a sort of self-fullfilling prophecy. For example:

In Pokemon, Ash Ketchum seeks to become a Pokemon master. He chooses becoming the greatest Pokemon master ever as his raison d'etre. As such, he creates subjectively a purpose to his life, exemplifying his freedom of choice. Ash had infinitely many possible reasons to live, but of them, he clearly chose to become a Pokemon master and has since dealt with any and all repurcussions of his decision. At times, Ash is wrought with despair as he is faced with seemingly insurmountable odds (stronger Pokemon trainers defeating him, Team Rocket stealing his Pokemon on occaison, etc.). He begins to whine about how he will never be able to become a Pokemon master, and as such, is overcome with great existential anxiety as he begins to wonder whether or not becoming a Pokemon master is even a worthy reason for him to exist. This is how Ash experiences existential angst.

Hmm...I earlier claimed that it is possible to identify an old aluminum bat with existentialism...perhaps that was stretching it? Existentialism deals with the human experience--if a phenomenon is devoid of any human elements, then the only way to relate it to existentialism probably lies within the fact that one is observing the phenomenon (should it exist in reality) from a subjective perspective and can therefore allocate any particular meaning to the said phenomenon. For instance, a professional baseball player who is doubting his path in life can identify an aluminum bat as being a symbol of his existential angst.

In any case--did I just recommend Pokemon to you? Nah. If you meant that you wanted a list of anime that deal directly with the absurdity inherent of struggling to live within a universe void of answers, meaning, or rationality, then how about...well...

Evangelion.

You've already seen that, though. However, Shinji Ikari is the poster-boy for existential angst, and Evangelion is the quintessential existential anime. Serial Experiments Lain comes close, but has quite the Matrix-y feel to it, huh? Hmm...just go read and then re-read The Stranger by Albert Camus if you're looking for existentialism accurately portrayed in fiction.

(Pretend that was handwritten in an ornate, cursive fashion, perhaps using a fountain pen. So there you have it. My signature.)

Last edited by Cogwheim; 2006-09-27 at 17:03.
Old 2006-09-27, 19:27   Link #9
Cementimental

Oshii's Angel's Egg!... and a lot of his other stuff too, especially the less well known such as his live action films.
Old 2006-09-29, 20:15   Link #10
Apostle_Kyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwheim
Hmm...just go read and then re-read The Stranger by Albert Camus if you're looking for existentialism accurately portrayed in fiction.
The only required novel I've ever enjoyed reading in my 16+ years of education, lol.

Out of those on my list, I'd say Evangelion, Lain, Suzumiya Haruhi, NHK, and Cowboy Bebop are probably closer to what I'm looking for. Others are mentioned in that they somewhat fulfill the philosophical and intellectual depth of this sort that I desire.
Old 2006-09-29, 20:34   Link #11
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

this ugly and beautiful world, but its cute and licensed
Old 2006-10-29, 02:29   Link #12
kellwych
squidlet

You ought to try Jigoku Shoujo. I've only seen the first episode of the sequel (Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori) , but the first season/part has a rather existential feel to it. Authenticity for various characters comes into question, as they search for meaning... I don't want to give too much away. Paranoia Agent and Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai are also good series with existential twists, and even Full Metal Alchemist, to a certain extent. I've read that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has existential themes as well, a la Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I've only seen the first episode and was too weirded out to make much sense from it. At any rate, good luck!

Also - since some titles were mentioned - for a good read, check out Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus, Sartre's No Exit ("fun") and Heidegger's Sein und Zeit (siper "fun").

Last edited by kellwych; 2006-10-29 at 02:35. Reason: addendum to post
Old 2006-10-31, 17:56   Link #13
DribCC

Send a message via AIM to DribCC Send a message via MSN to DribCC

The newst anime I found with existential themes are Kanon(2006) and Asatte no Houkou( I found this series extermely boaring even by existential standards)
Closed Thread