AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-12-02, 15:38   Link #201
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Did anyone watch that episode of Tosh.0? ... what the hell O_o
Old 2012-12-08, 05:49   Link #202
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Spoiler for Good to see...:

Hope we'll see more of her someday. She has more potential and odds for that now.

And today is the day a certain pegasus filly gets the first episode all to herself!

Quote:
Did anyone watch that episode of Tosh.0? ... what the hell O_o
Googled it. Yes, Tosh.0, of course, MLP pron is something outstanding (in the same internet where Wreck-It-Ralph got rule-34'd mere days after the premiere, for chrissake!), and of course this is all the fandom consists of.
Also, I don't seem to have sufficient cultural baggage on me to understand the joke they pulled off. Yay for the good ol' laugh track, it always points out where to react.

EDIT: Looks like I've got my fave episode in this season.

Luna appears with another aspect to her job, and there are lots of Scootaloo to both laugh at and sympathize with.

Spoiler for And then there's THE moment for all Scootaloo fans:

And as if it wasn't enough, next up is a Rainbow Dash episode!

Last edited by Snork; 2012-12-08 at 12:59.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 10:31   Link #203
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This belongs here:

John de Lancie ('Q' of Star Trek) and Tara Strong explain Bronies.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

http://www.themarysue.com/john-delancie-my-little-pony/
Old 2013-01-23, 13:57   Link #204
Kudryavka

As much as I love good animated shows, I still don't like how a bunch of "bronies" call this the best show ever. MLP isn't the only good animated show in the world...

I feel a lot of them are just copying what the others say.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 16:06   Link #205
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, but they love it. I have to admit it is frequently amusing and I'm a rabid Animaniacs fan (Animaniacs, Pinky&theBrain, Freakazoid era).
Old 2013-01-23, 16:32   Link #206
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I love how they had the girls come in like feminists (true ones)
Old 2013-01-23, 17:24   Link #207
videoman190

My little pony is going to be released in Japan!
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/0...confirmed.html
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 17:32   Link #208
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoman190 View Post
My little pony is going to be released in Japan!
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/0...confirmed.html
Surprised it wasnt already in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, but they love it. I have to admit it is frequently amusing and I'm a rabid Animaniacs fan (Animaniacs, Pinky&theBrain, Freakazoid era).
Its not that, there are some people that just swear off MLP, and only MLP, like its the only cartoon they ever watched (and then poo on the earlier MLP stuff, like fuckin really? Need to show some respect). Then act like their discovering themselves by watching a little girls show. And I'm like shit, cant they just chill and watch the damn cartoon?? It was cute when the first guys joked about it, but all these later guys doing college class presentations on it and other attention stuff is getting annoying to me. Joke's way old, lets just watch our ponies.
Old 2013-01-23, 18:30   Link #209
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Surprised it wasnt already in Japan.

Its not that, there are some people that just swear off MLP, and only MLP, like its the only cartoon they ever watched (and then poo on the earlier MLP stuff, like fuckin really? Need to show some respect). Then act like their discovering themselves by watching a little girls show. And I'm like shit, cant they just chill and watch the damn cartoon?? It was cute when the first guys joked about it, but all these later guys doing college class presentations on it and other attention stuff is getting annoying to me. Joke's way old, lets just watch our ponies.
Heh, that would be the Narutards of Broney-dom. I guess it depends on what kind of presentations they're doing. The social phenomena and the messaging would make some fodder for reports or studies I suppose.
Old 2013-01-23, 18:36   Link #210
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Q

Well that explains a lot...and yet nothing at all.
Old 2013-01-24, 05:11   Link #211
videoman190

View on Derpibooru - Original source
Four main cast of this show are doing the voices for My little pony!
For Applejack, Rarity, Pinky Pie, and Rainbow Dash the other two will be confirmed in march.

Last edited by videoman190; 2013-01-24 at 05:32.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 12:15   Link #212
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
There are people who tend to go overboard, and they're everywhere. What they love is the best, and nothing else so much as exists.
Also, a big deal has always been made of the adult fanbase, which I can only blame Animation Age Ghetto for. Myself being an animation fan in general and never really having taken that "cartoons are for kids only" stuff seriously, I didn't have any bias against watching a girl-oriented cartoon about ponies. I was sceptical to give it a try for some time, if only because a bunch of works I had encountered in early 2000s had dropped my interest towards American TV animation pretty low, so it took a couple of fanworks and exposure to the show's highlights before I did. And I liked it - but I felt neither shock for liking a cartoon about ponies nor catharsis for doing so, which is why I tend to take all those "social phenomenon" claims with a light-hearted smirk. It's a good thing Lauren Faust & Co managed to create something notable and enjoyable out of something that had used to be a set of 22 minute animated commercials for a toy pony franchise, but really now. IMHO this show gets the merit for:
- likable characters with kinky expressive animation and good voice acting
- nice plots (I mean stories, not what the fandom likes to call "plots" nowadays ) that have some moral without being overly preachy and allow for some actual character development (and an occasional healthy measure of OoC to avoid having wood-carved personalities)
- enjoyable humour with a conspicuous minimum of toilet gags (you might want to take some notes here, DreamWorks) and a pile of shout outs and references over half of which isn't for the target audience (unless little girls all watch Star Wars, Big Lebowsky and old Hanna-Barbera classics)
- fine music and especially songs that come in a variety of styles, often with Disney-like musical number presentation and quality (This Day Aria was among the things that got me hooked on the show, and it's freakin' Alan Menken level, if you ask me!) and more shout outs to old musicals. And the singing is something to remember, too - Kazumi Evans (Rarity's singing voice) reminds me of Jodi Benson and Eri Itoh combined, which buys my body and soul on the spot. Pity there's so little of her in season 3...

To summarize - the things that can make an animated work enjoyable to watch and follow, although are by no means exclusive to this particular animated work.
Yet there are people who manage to advertise a convincing impression that MLP FiM only has merit in having attracted a ridiculous amount of adult men and the ridiculous nature of this fact. They think that EVERYONE is either a potential brony or a stupid hater. They don't understand that aggressive advertising of the cult they made out of the show can only mostly lead to hype backlash - people annoyed and wondering what is so great in that stuff (not only a show can't physically be EVERYONE's cup of tea, but there are numerous cases when people get too high expectations from all the omnipresent pony talk - expectations the show fails to live up to for them).

I know there's one in every community (the punny term "Fan Dumb" wasn't created out of thin air), but with everything I'm a fan of, I like it and I like its popularity and I like to see it growing - but not being turned into a cult and troll material. That rarely ends well, if ever.

Let's just watch our ponies, indeed. I'd rather this show was viewed as a simply fine quality animated work, not as internet cancer.

Quote:
Four main cast of this show are doing the voices for My little pony!
For Applejack, Rarity, Pinky Pie, and Rainbow Dash the other two will be confirmed in march.
Guess I might as well try this show, then, because I haven't heard these actresses anywhere else. I personally always imagined Ayumi Fujimura as a fitting seiyuu for Pinkie, but oh well... Although until March I can still hope for Kana Hanazawa to dub Fluttershy. As for Twilight... Chiwa Saitou, maybe? I'm not really sure here.

In any case, I'll definitely check this dub out. Voice acting trade has always seemed to have more money and people revolving around it in Japan then overseas, so it may be something interesting. I also wonder if they might do an exclusive OP or ED (like Italians did), although seeing as the show will be broadcast in both Japanese and English, it doesn't seem too likely.

Spoiler for As for the current season:

After this week's break, only two episodes remain. And the last one is the most intriguing, due to a lot of hints and rumours concerning Twilight which have already broken the fanbase with a loud crack. Can't wait to see if and how the authors will pull it off!
Old 2013-01-29, 13:07   Link #213
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Why yall hatin on Spike's stuff? One less episode about the pony girls?
Old 2013-01-29, 13:13   Link #214
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
If Twilight Sparkle becomes an alicorn, we riot. If the new episode in a few weeks promotes her to princess status I'm not sure how the dynamic between the characters will remain intact. She's always been the center of the main six and held a special place for being Celestia's prodige but was like everypony else otherwise.

Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
He's like the best friend guy in a harem anime nobody pays attention to. xD
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 14:21   Link #215
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Why, yes! Every minute spent on Spike gives us less Fluttershy MOE!

Seriously, though, I like Spike and his episodes, they just don't rank as high in my toplist as others. Gotta like his snarky attitude, he usually does a good job being the local Kyon around Mane Six. But he also has his common sense slip-ups (not that it's a bad thing - like I said, I prefer a little OoC here and there to wood-carved personalities), and his own episodes are usually where he tends to act least logically. So, odd as it may sound, but Spike episodes aren't always where Spike does shine, IMHO.
If we're talkin' Spike hatin' stuff, let's wait till ep 12 and see why the hay Spike wasn't invited together with Mane Six to the Crystal Empire which he had played a big part in saving. In last weekend's episode, he complained about it himself.

Quote:
If the new episode in a few weeks promotes her to princess status I'm not sure how the dynamic between the characters will remain intact.
I don't think it will change significantly. It's unlikely that the authors will want to do something risky for the show's balance, and as far as I understand, they have control over what to do with the actual plot development. Hasbro doesn't run the show, their concern should be ending at "throw in this and this, because we're launching a toy line about it" (something we'd better be always prepared for, since nobody really canceled the show's advertising purpose). Remember Canterlot Wedding - Hasbro basically ordered a wedding episode, and the bronies rioted at first, too. Meanwhile, McCarthy went ahead and threw in all the changelings, invasion and fake brides stuff which resulted in an impressive two-parter with some action and some of the show's finest songs ("and it's still a better love story than Twilight", as memes claim ). And, a not very fleshed-out villain aside, they likewise did an impressive job on The Crystal Empire which was also apparently ordered as a toyline tie-in. So the point I stand at is, let's wait and trust the authors to pull this one off as well. Good luck to them.

As to how to preserve the balance... I just don't think becoming an alicorn will change THAT much. Even Cadence has yet to demonstrate a scope of powers comparable to the sisters (over 1000 years of experience can't be a thing to underestimate here), and Twi is even younger. I don't see her becoming a constant Super Saiyan just like that - rather, I believe she'll get a pair of pegasus-type wings (the ones we've seen her have in the rumour-igniting merch) and some boost in magic. Going by the finale's synopsis, she may also get some exclusive magic of her own, which she will then showcase occasionally, mostly in epic two-parters. In the show where magic doesn't solve every plot and where not even all the episodes feel obliged to keep Twilight in focus, I don't see a drastic change out of this. I don't even think she'll be demanded to leave Ponyville, let alone rule anything.

I'm more interested in the kind of new plots this whole deal can lead to. From the slice-of-life "Rainbow Dash teaches Twilight to fly (or tries to teach, at least)" to TEH EPIC DRAMA "Twilight in danger of going downhill with her new powers like Luna once did". Plus, I can't deny that I find winged Twilight 20% cuter.

EDIT:

Spoiler for DUN DUN DUN!:

Last edited by Snork; 2013-01-29 at 14:53.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 16:34   Link #216
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
If Twilight Sparkle becomes an alicorn, we riot. If the new episode in a few weeks promotes her to princess status I'm not sure how the dynamic between the characters will remain intact. She's always been the center of the main six and held a special place for being Celestia's prodige but was like everypony else otherwise.

Oh well.

He's like the best friend guy in a harem anime nobody pays attention to. xD
Who's harem? Twilights?
Old 2013-01-29, 16:59   Link #217
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
There are people who tend to go overboard, and they're everywhere. What they love is the best, and nothing else so much as exists.
Also, a big deal has always been made of the adult fanbase, which I can only blame Animation Age Ghetto for. Myself being an animation fan in general and never really having taken that "cartoons are for kids only" stuff seriously, I didn't have any bias against watching a girl-oriented cartoon about ponies. I was sceptical to give it a try for some time, if only because a bunch of works I had encountered in early 2000s had dropped my interest towards American TV animation pretty low, so it took a couple of fanworks and exposure to the show's highlights before I did. And I liked it - but I felt neither shock for liking a cartoon about ponies nor catharsis for doing so, which is why I tend to take all those "social phenomenon" claims with a light-hearted smirk. It's a good thing Lauren Faust & Co managed to create something notable and enjoyable out of something that had used to be a set of 22 minute animated commercials for a toy pony franchise, but really now. IMHO this show gets the merit for:
- likable characters with kinky expressive animation and good voice acting
- nice plots (I mean stories, not what the fandom likes to call "plots" nowadays ) that have some moral without being overly preachy and allow for some actual character development (and an occasional healthy measure of OoC to avoid having wood-carved personalities)
- enjoyable humour with a conspicuous minimum of toilet gags (you might want to take some notes here, DreamWorks) and a pile of shout outs and references over half of which isn't for the target audience (unless little girls all watch Star Wars, Big Lebowsky and old Hanna-Barbera classics)
- fine music and especially songs that come in a variety of styles, often with Disney-like musical number presentation and quality (This Day Aria was among the things that got me hooked on the show, and it's freakin' Alan Menken level, if you ask me!) and more shout outs to old musicals. And the singing is something to remember, too - Kazumi Evans (Rarity's singing voice) reminds me of Jodi Benson and Eri Itoh combined, which buys my body and soul on the spot. Pity there's so little of her in season 3...

To summarize - the things that can make an animated work enjoyable to watch and follow, although are by no means exclusive to this particular animated work.
Yet there are people who manage to advertise a convincing impression that MLP FiM only has merit in having attracted a ridiculous amount of adult men and the ridiculous nature of this fact. They think that EVERYONE is either a potential brony or a stupid hater. They don't understand that aggressive advertising of the cult they made out of the show can only mostly lead to hype backlash - people annoyed and wondering what is so great in that stuff (not only a show can't physically be EVERYONE's cup of tea, but there are numerous cases when people get too high expectations from all the omnipresent pony talk - expectations the show fails to live up to for them).

I know there's one in every community (the punny term "Fan Dumb" wasn't created out of thin air), but with everything I'm a fan of, I like it and I like its popularity and I like to see it growing - but not being turned into a cult and troll material. That rarely ends well, if ever.

Let's just watch our ponies, indeed. I'd rather this show was viewed as a simply fine quality animated work, not as internet cancer.

Guess I might as well try this show, then, because I haven't heard these actresses anywhere else. I personally always imagined Ayumi Fujimura as a fitting seiyuu for Pinkie, but oh well... Although until March I can still hope for Kana Hanazawa to dub Fluttershy. As for Twilight... Chiwa Saitou, maybe? I'm not really sure here.

In any case, I'll definitely check this dub out. Voice acting trade has always seemed to have more money and people revolving around it in Japan then overseas, so it may be something interesting. I also wonder if they might do an exclusive OP or ED (like Italians did), although seeing as the show will be broadcast in both Japanese and English, it doesn't seem too likely.

Spoiler for As for the current season:

After this week's break, only two episodes remain. And the last one is the most intriguing, due to a lot of hints and rumours concerning Twilight which have already broken the fanbase with a loud crack. Can't wait to see if and how the authors will pull it off!
You are 100% truth, Snork!!

My beef there was just that, for whatever reason, the internet is literally filled with ponies at this point. I can't go anywhere even slightly nerdy without seeing ponies or someone talking about ponies.

Now, I have no problem with ponies being so widely discussed, of course. I just am annoyed that this overabundance of ponies makes the, um, "too hardcore" fans very easy to see. In all my other fandoms you won't see those guys unless you look for them. But with MLP they are everywhere...
Old 2013-01-29, 17:10   Link #218
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Personally, I don't mind Spike at all. However, I'm not happy with the writers doing something "experimental" (i.e. an episode that focuses on the side characters that takes place around the same time as the episode that will premiere on the 9th) while pretty much giving Rarity the shaft this season (especially given how greatly improved she's been in season 2).

As for that will happen with the season finale,
Spoiler for Season 3 Finale:
Old 2013-01-30, 01:41   Link #219
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Going by the finale's synopsis, she may also get some exclusive magic of her own, which she will then showcase occasionally, mostly in epic two-parters. In the show where magic doesn't solve every plot and where not even all the episodes feel obliged to keep Twilight in focus, I don't see a drastic change out of this. I don't even think she'll be demanded to leave Ponyville, let alone rule anything.

I'm more interested in the kind of new plots this whole deal can lead to. From the slice-of-life "Rainbow Dash teaches Twilight to fly (or tries to teach, at least)" to TEH EPIC DRAMA "Twilight in danger of going downhill with her new powers like Luna once did". Plus, I can't deny that I find winged Twilight 20% cuter.
The point of the two part episodes was to demonstrate how strong the main six are when working together. If Twilight can access something like an alicorn form ala Super Saiyan that can magically defeat whatever it is they need to defeat then the arc loses the camaraderie. If Twilight still needs their help then her upgrades are meaningless anyway.

The show isn't obliged to focus on Twilight but the problem arises when it does focus on her. Beforehand Twily was the rim keeping the spokes of the bicycle wheel together; now she could be the bike itself.

We'll see what happens I guess.
Quote:
Who's harem? Twilights?
She's a transfer student who moves into a new town with an athlete, a genki, an oujo, an Osakan, and a shrinking violet. She's got a friend who's the butt monkey of many jokes. Only with her girls has she become uber powerful.

Seems legit. :3
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 09:14   Link #220
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So after giving in to morbid curiosity I've decided to try out a few episodes here and there (To hay with continuity!), in the end I concluded that with a few exceptions aside, I can't really sit through an entire episode from start to finish.

BUT, the small individual gag scenes on their own were actually pretty entertaining in a non-brain dead kind of way

So no full episodes, just youtube clips for me

Though you know what this reminds me of? When I was a kid I'd found some resemblance of entertainment when I watch mahou shoujo like Cardcaptor and Akazuki chacha... Of course, I had to hide that shit like I was on the wrong side of the Iron curtain
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
my little pony