AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-09, 10:14   Link #11501
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
How in the hell would Phalanx counter it? It's a mental attack. As soon as you see him, you die. Just dead. It's an image planted in your mind, not an attack magic phalanx can block.
There are 2 reasons I give Phalanx the benefit of the doubt.
Because it is the best defense in the verse and because of this quote from v04

Spoiler for Quote from v04:
Old 2014-03-09, 10:17   Link #11502
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
There are 2 reasons I give Phalanx the benefit of the doubt.
Because it is the best defense in the verse and because of this quote from v04

Spoiler for Quote from v04:
Like Tatsuya, I'm not able to accept it so easily.

But it is a valid point worth considering.
Old 2014-03-09, 10:47   Link #11503
Ultragunner

putting aside how awesome Phalanx is, the deadliest point of Grim Reaper is that it can catch you off-guard easily.

But the problem here is that we don't really know the details of its mechanics. Like, does the 2nd strike need any Psion from Genzou? Or it already implanted in your mind (from the 1st image) and the direct encounter is just a trigger? If this is true then even with Phalanx, you "may" block the first hit, but if you miss that, consider leaving a note
Old 2014-03-09, 10:52   Link #11504
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
putting aside how awesome Phalanx is, the deadliest point of Grim Reaper is that it can catch you off-guard easily.

But the problem here is that we don't really know the details of its mechanics. Like, does the 2nd strike need any Psion from Genzou? Or it already implanted in your mind (from the 1st image) and the direct encounter is just a trigger? If this is true then even with Phalanx, you "may" block the first hit, but if you miss that, consider leaving a note
I agree. I feel like you need to be especially prepared and aware Genzou's coming for you, for you to be able to block it properly. Even then, like you said we still don't know exactly when it's cast vs. when it activates.

We need more Genzou PV side stories.
Old 2014-03-09, 11:03   Link #11505
Verisimilitude

Quote:
I agree. I feel like you need to be especially prepared and aware Genzou's coming for you, for you to be able to block it properly. Even then, like you said we still don't know exactly when it's cast vs. when it activates.

No, what we need is a SS Volume focused on the two generations before our main characters.
Old 2014-03-09, 11:37   Link #11506
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you have no idea what you are talking about with this "Precast" comment that you keep repeating over and over.

Miyuki doesn't start using Deceleration Zone until after Lina uses her Self-Acceleration magic. Otherwise it would be impossible for her to predict where the Self-Acceleration Magic was going to be to drop the Deceleration Zone on because it hadn't been cast yet.
Spoiler for Lina vs Miyuki Before Deceleration Zone:

If you read carefully Miyuki already knows Lina plan; simple she will drag this to a cqc showdown. In the end Miyuki set up a magic already. but did you ever consider why would Miyuki set up a magic before the fight?...it was to calculate her clincher magic; meaning her set up magic was to buy sometime; she may have use deceleration the moment Lina step in you know. it would earn the same result even lessen her move by 1 to 2.

When I watch or read I try to find the meaning of their action; I maybe right or wrong but its more fun and cynical reading it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
No, I'm talking cold, hard math.

Unless Erika knows a spell for teleportation, distance and the time it takes to cross it is an issue.
What can i do; the author didnt explain anything. He might have another idea when hes thinking of "common sense"

Because moving at 300mph is normal here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidswable View Post
Well, of course rozen plot is more interesting than mizuki's. I just thought that it could make a good plot twist if mizuki is a spy in the future plot.

Grim Reaper, best mental/mind based magic. Just by knowing that he is exist would make anyone dead. What a perfect magic for the grandfather for mahesvara
Mizuki's plot has to do with Miki. She is something that the Omyouji's/Yoshida are looking for the GOD's eyes; meaning "Its Destiny"

Quote:
Drawless:

So yeah, it's activated before he draws it, but he does draw it. If you move fast enough to avoid it's aim you'll dodge it every time, but it sounds like it can be a sort of surprise attack. You'd have to notice it before the magic activates, or else you can't Dodge. Tatsuya can notice the activation sequence, but Erika for instance, could be more 50/50. Honestly most people who weren't seasoned probably wouldn't notice it fast enough.

Spoiler for All I can see is a 100%:

Erika's eyes are more powerful than you think; its like ES but is only attained from hard work; dont forget that the only who was able sense Miyuki's Cocytus was Erika.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post

Yea the thing about Grim Reaper is that it isnt a target base....It an AOE spell
Deadly you see; unlike Miyuki's target base Cocytus.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Last edited by pampz21; 2014-03-09 at 11:55.
Old 2014-03-09, 11:47   Link #11507
Ultraviolet X

ahhh, pampz, you really should just cut your losses and let the topic regarding Erika drop, thats full of holes. Erika is a good character and all, but your overplaying her.

Quote:

Have to agree with this, that guys awsome.
Old 2014-03-09, 11:53   Link #11508
Konja7

There is a new picture about anime:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This picture makes me think that there will be fanservice of Tatsuya.

This is not really strange, since he is drawn as a bishounen (although he is described as average).
Old 2014-03-09, 11:57   Link #11509
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet X View Post
ahhh, pampz, you really should just cut your losses and let the topic regarding Erika drop, thats full of holes. Erika is a good character and all, but your overplaying her.
Its already been drop a couple of pages ago(idont know if they understand tho), now im talking about Miyuki vs Lina; on how advantagous Miyuki is;

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,

Old 2014-03-09, 12:10   Link #11510
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
There is a new picture about anime:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This picture makes me think that there will be fanservice of Tatsuya.

This is not really strange, since he is drawn as a bishounen (although he is described as average).
At this point, I believe the average thing to be almost as much BS as the course separation.
Old 2014-03-09, 12:55   Link #11511
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
At this point, I believe the average thing to be almost as much BS as the course separation.
lol
Well if you base a character's look to Lulu of course it would turn out to be "average looking" because in Japan you'll see that kind of hairstyle everywhere.

BTW: What theme songs would you give the characters.

Tatsuya would fit Im the man by Aloe Blacc

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,

Last edited by pampz21; 2014-03-09 at 13:06.
Old 2014-03-09, 13:36   Link #11512
only1uknow

Quote:
Yes it is. He could make people kill themselves on sight. Crazy stuff.
Oh thats beyond awesome.imagine if it can be inherited,n the one who receive it is Tatsuya! gosh who the hell can stop him? my sense of imagination is tingling just thinking about it.
hmm~ how did Genzou die anyway ( the nighmare chapter i didnt read it too thouroughly hehe).
but it said that Yotsuba lost 30 magician,so i was wondering how many are there still in Yotsuba clan?.
Old 2014-03-09, 13:45   Link #11513
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1uknow View Post
Oh thats beyond awesome.imagine if it can be inherited,n the one who receive it is Tatsuya! gosh who the hell can stop him? my sense of imagination is tingling just thinking about it.
That's impossible, Grim Reaper is Genzou's personal magic. Tatsuya isn't even of the same lineage.

EDIT: He died because he used Grim Reaper too much. It was too much for his Magic Calculation Area.

Last edited by Echizen777; 2014-03-09 at 14:12.
Old 2014-03-09, 14:17   Link #11514
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Spoiler for Ill leave it here just interpret it; use much as you want.:
Alright, using as much as I want. She gets hit as soon as she enters sword range, but before she gets thrown, she lashes out and lands a blow.

This does not degrade Erica in any way. In fact, her landing a strike on Lina at all is badass as hell considering the difference in ability. But it was a reactive strike. And Lina still wasn't looking at her even after that blow landed.

Quote:
Straightening the facts Erika lost; that's just how the story goes. So lets set aside the if, now.

Leo is more badass if hes a brawler; I don't want him to copy Tatsuya's taijutsu too.

Read it before you judge; that's what you always say.
I did read it, and judged based off of that. Her speed cannot possibly exceed that of Lina and Miyuki's cast time if Lina can notice a surprise attack mid-swing, choose a magic, and execute it before the strike lands.

And Erica's personal movement magic speed isn't ever noted as being remarkable among magicians. Every time someone uses it in combat, the narration says something similar. And she has to cast that magic for it to take effect. Miyuki can cast any ten magics she wants in that time.

Quote:
Miyuki was able to cast Deceleration zone is thanks to Precast.After she cast precast the next magic she had was the Zone; meaning it takes a lot of time; that she had to cheat her way to cast it.
Bzzt, wrong. Look, the precast only means Miyuki gets the first shot. If it had ended there then you could argue that Miyuki took her out because of pre-casting. And her next magic is another ice-wind attack. Lina even notes Miyuki had been trying to take her out with watered down attacks, which gave Lina an opening.

But Lina endures both the initial sneak attack and the follow-up strike, then activates Personal Acceleration. Miyuki casts Deceleration Zone after Lina uses Personal Acceleration. Which means Miyuki can cast it faster than Lina's Personal Acceleration (which is faster than Erica's) can cross that distance. Ergo, Erica wouldn't be able to blitz her.

Quote:
Are you talking about the real world? If it is, this novel is a fantasy; of course there are things that doesnt apply here. In the end we don't know what the author thinks when writing his piece.

Thats what I think too; Orochimaru still has 7 magics in it; but I doubt we'll see it soon because, just like Tatsuya's Third Eye, Erika cant wield it until the Chibas give a gag order
This world is based in ours and runs on our physics + magic. It's even mentioned that Magicians have the same limits humans do when it comes to their real bodies.

And Orochimaru (if this is the guillotine sword) has one magic, the one Erica uses. It was literally created only for that magic.

Before anyone questions that, I'd like to point out that Orochimaru isn't a "specialized" CAD but a "weaponized" one. Weaponized CADs only have a single Activation sequence that can't be changed, in exchange for being the fastest of the three types.

Quote:
Ushio just said that if ever happens to the kids he'll just protect them#! so let the kids have some fun kind of thing
I know what you mean by not liking Honoka; she copies Miyuki too much.

EDIT: Who watch 300 Rise of the empire?...I wish war is like that; not those modern guns; Tatsuya's magic is to mundane for you to get excited.
You're wrong because.... Wait, this has nothing to do with Erica.

Never mind, carry on.
Old 2014-03-09, 14:30   Link #11515
Rava

Quote:

If you read carefully Miyuki already knows Lina plan; simple she will drag this to a cqc showdown. In the end Miyuki set up a magic already. but did you ever consider why would Miyuki set up a magic before the fight?...it was to calculate her clincher magic; meaning her set up magic was to buy sometime; she may have use deceleration the moment Lina step in you know. it would earn the same result even lessen her move by 1 to 2.

When I watch or read I try to find the meaning of their action; I maybe right or wrong but its more fun and cynical reading it like that.

[...]
If you read carefully, you'll notice that you mentally skipped a few lines there. I will bold EVERY TIME a spell is cast.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
[...]

Bzzt, wrong. Look, the precast only means Miyuki gets the first shot. If it had ended there then you could argue that Miyuki took her out because of pre-casting. And her next magic is another ice-wind attack. Lina even notes Miyuki had been trying to take her out with watered down attacks, which gave Lina an opening.

But Lina endures both the initial sneak attack and the follow-up strike, then activates Personal Acceleration. Miyuki casts Deceleration Zone after Lina uses Personal Acceleration. Which means Miyuki can cast it faster than Lina's Personal Acceleration (which is faster than Erica's) can cross that distance. Ergo, Erica wouldn't be able to blitz her.

[...]
This exactly.
Old 2014-03-09, 15:02   Link #11516
only1uknow

Quote:
That's impossible, Grim Reaper is Genzou's personal magic. Tatsuya isn't even of the same lineage.

EDIT: He died because he used Grim Reaper too much. It was too much for his Magic Calculation Area.
well~ isnt Tatsuya his grandchild? or is that not enough?
Oo so thats how he die~ well i guess with great power come great responsibility(in this case greater risk).

btw i wanna know what is Fumiya and Ayako magic,did they have their own magic like the yotsuba or an inherited magic?
Old 2014-03-09, 18:56   Link #11517
anonfr

Quote:

Erika's eyes are more powerful than you think; its like ES but is only attained from hard work; dont forget that the only who was able sense Miyuki's Cocytus was Erika.

Yea the thing about Grim Reaper is that it isnt a target base....It an AOE spell
Wow a quote from volume 1 when Erika knocks a gun out of Morisaki's hand. That has absolutely NO weight in the context I described.

I'm talking about Erika noticing an activation sequence before it hits her, not a gun in her face that she knows for a fact is aimed at her.

Also your quote doesn't prove anything about how observant she is, just that she's fast and can deal with an obvious threat. Just, uhg. You, sometimes man... you really shove it on sometimes.

Also it is an AOE spell? I knew it!

Quote:

They're not the same lineage? You know you also say the most random things sometimes.
Are you talking about how Tatsuya is on the special ability side, and Genzou is on the outer systematic magic side of things?

Cause they are related, like direct descendant related. It's his grandfather after all.
Old 2014-03-09, 19:16   Link #11518
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1uknow View Post
btw i wanna know what is Fumiya and Ayako magic,did they have their own magic like the yotsuba or an inherited magic?
Just like Miyuki, Fumiya inherited Outer-Systematic Mental Interference Magic.

Ayako has special magic Pseudo Teleportation.
Old 2014-03-09, 19:49   Link #11519
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Spoiler for Lina vs Miyuki Before Deceleration Zone:

Her knowing the plan was never the point. Miyuki cast Deceleration Zone after Lina cast Personal Acceleration. Which means that she can get it off before some one as fast as Lina can get to her, much less Erica.

And you seem to be under the impression that she had pre-cast all her spells before hand, as if she could store them or something. She didn't. This is in fact explicitly impossible according to in-universe rules.

All she did was start casting her first spell before Lina did. That is literally all that "pre-cast" means.

Quote:
What can i do; the author didnt explain anything. He might have another idea when hes thinking of "common sense"

Because moving at 300mph is normal here
No, it isn't. In no place is it mentioned that the average speed is anywhere near this fast. Considering Sayaka without magic could react to Ericas Personal Acceleration magic, it probably isn't more than 30-50 mph tops.

Quote:
Mizuki's plot has to do with Miki. She is something that the Omyouji's/Yoshida are looking for the GOD's eyes; meaning "Its Destiny"
This has nothing to do with me~~~~~

Quote:

This is wrong on so many levels I had trouble finding where to start.
  • It says the same situation. Meaning if he tried to draw 100 times she'd knock it down 100 times.
  • Erica's eyes are nothing like ES. She can read others movements, thats all. It has no ability to percieve magic.
  • She didn't see Coctyus. She saw the after-effects. The only thing she commented on was that Miyuki hit the enemy without hitting her friends, which was impressive.

Quote:
Wow, you really didn't read this, did you? Grim Reaper is not area of effect. It isn't single target either. It works out side that. He plants an image of "death" inside someones mind, which can be activated through showing them the symbol of that death. It requires a direct meeting, though.

If for whatever reason you still count that as AOE, the Coctyus would count as well due to being able to strike multiple targets at once.
Old 2014-03-09, 19:53   Link #11520
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
This is wrong on so many levels I had trouble finding where to start.
  • It says the same situation. Meaning if he tried to draw 100 times she'd knock it down 100 times.
  • Erica's eyes are nothing like ES. She can read others movements, thats all. It has no ability to percieve magic.
  • She didn't see Coctyus. She saw the after-effects. The only thing she commented on was that Miyuki hit the enemy without hitting her friends, which was impressive.

Wow, you really didn't read this, did you? Grim Reaper is not area of effect. It isn't single target either. It works out side that. He plants an image of "death" inside someones mind, which can be activated through showing them the symbol of that death. It requires a direct meeting, though.

If for whatever reason you still count that as AOE, the Coctyus would count as well due to being able to strike multiple targets at once.
Glad you agree with his example being very poor.

But.. so Grim Reaper isn't AOE afterall :/ It still doesn't require a direct meeting though. It can be indirect, apparently.
I'm still not clear on how it's used, because he overused it when he invaded the base, but It's like he planted the image in everyone's head before he walked in, then he preceded to walk in and they all died. I'm not clear at all..

Coyctus does count as AOE. Multiple targest at once is the basic RPG definition of Area of Effect.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings