AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-12-09, 17:41   Link #1
ZakRhyno

Stats - Hexagon Question

In animes, but usually mangas they sometimes put up a hexagonal with statistics on it. The statistics are outline around the tips of the hexagonal. Within the hexagonal there are smaller ones evenly space till the center. You can think of it as a spider web. For each stat a dot on each line going to the center of the hexagonal is place. When all the stats are done a line is drawn to each dot and then fill the shape with in the hexagonal is fill with color.

Now what is this thing called? I have no idea what to call it, anybody can chine him?
ZakRhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 18:56   Link #2
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I think they're called radar graphs. Other sources might call them web charts, spider charts, star charts, star plots, cobweb charts, irregular polygons or polar chart, as well. (1) For future reference, this might belong in another thread: I think the general chat might be a good place, although I myself will need someone else to clarify that for me

(1) Nancy R. Tague (2005) The quality toolbox. page 437.
Old 2012-12-09, 19:14   Link #3
Traece
:cool:

Assuming you are referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_graph

In the U.S. you will often see lines used to represent a value based on length with the lines placed together in a box. Guns in video games, for example, would have their accuracy and damage and other values presented in this way to represent the capabilities of the gun in question. Alternatively, Japanese games (From Software's mecha games for example) will often use that radar to do the same thing.

The radar graph is obviously a lot better at displaying multiple values in relation to the same object where those values are relevant to each other. The downside is that it's a bit more spacious and visually dominant. Why do we mostly see regular old lines and bars on graphs to display information like what I've mentioned? I suspect the reason is that it's just easier to make a simple line graph. Also, because we suck.
Old 2012-12-09, 19:19   Link #4
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Personally, my assessment of these graphs are that "the more of it is filled with colour, the more powerful/awesome/god-like something is".