AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 15
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 45 24.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 46 25.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 49 27.07%
7 out of 10 : Good... 24 13.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 3.31%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.55%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.10%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.55%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 2 1.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-13, 15:34   Link #81
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Well, I hate to see depowered women in fiction, specially if they were quite badass beforehand. And I do find it quite a disservice to her character. This is one of those shitty tropes that have been done to death and, like I said, it's not my thing.
Fair enough.

Though to be fair, it's also not my thing to hate certain plot devices just because they're there, especially if they make 100% sense in the context of the story

and besides, even in this arc, Asuna is hardly "depowered" IMO.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:34   Link #82
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Cripes. This felt like a whole different show now that we're out of the game world. Suguha I'm mostly indifferent towards. She's cliche, but at the same time she could be much more annoying when it comes to the "non-blood related little sister" archetype character.

And about 300 people are still have their conciousness trapped somewhere even after Kayaba was defeated? How did that happen? Wasn't SAO supposed to be destroyed? I guess something's up considering that picture of her in a cage at the ending scene so I suppose we'll find out eventually.

Give this episode credit though, there's actually an emotional scene that I felt was convincing for once. That part where Kazuto felt absolutely helpless about not being able to do anything for Asuna while crying in his room, that struck a chord with me.~

Sugou's a slimeball, and it doesn't help that he technically has Asuna as a hostage. I think they might have exaggerated his antagonism just a touch though. The smelling Asuna's hair thing wasn't exactly called for.

But yeah, the main thought going through my head watching this episode was "is this REALLY the same show I was just watching for the past 3 months?" Not really a bad thing, it just gives a different feeling now. Maybe it'll be a bit more solid than the first half too. I sure hope so.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:42   Link #83
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Well, I hate to see depowered women in fiction, specially if they were quite badass beforehand. And I do find it quite a disservice to her character. This is one of those shitty tropes that have been done to death and, like I said, it's not my thing.
Well... I can understand that, but considering how the author treats males and females very equally both in Sword Art Online and Accel World, I don't think there's any sort of gender bias at play here. I think it's simply a case of human beings are sometimes in a position where they're vulnerable and need help, male and female alike; there's nothing wrong with having a female occasionally fill that role, because it's something that happens to everyone... and I don't think there's a person in this world badass enough that they wouldn't need help when in a coma. :p Even if you can't help but dislike it no matter what, Asuna is the main heroine of the story, she'll continue having lots more to offer just like before once this small bump is over.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:42   Link #84
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Though to be fair, it's also not my thing to hate certain plot devices just because they're there, especially if they make 100% sense in the context of the story.
Asuna could be raped by Sugou in her hospital room at the any moment. It would make sense, but would that make for a good story?

No.

And I'm not implying Asuna's gonna be raped, btw. All I'm saying is making sense =! good. Shitty tropes are shitty tropes.

Now if you like it, good for you.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:42   Link #85
Awrya
U mad?

Already 5 pages?

Wonder how Kirito vs Sugu would have ended if a) his physical condition was and b) if he dual wielded

Build his first computer with scrap parts at six? When I was six all I did was watching DBZ, Digimon and Pokemon

AW introduces Noumi Seiji SAO Sugou Nobuyuki in the second half. Kawahara seems to really like these kinds of characters as antagonists.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:43   Link #86
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Guys... everything will be explained in due time like SAO arc. No need to rush judgments etc.

A lot of foreshadowing in this eps.

As for Kirito building his first computer at the age of six, I completely believe it. I personally know somebody who built a car engine at the age of six. He's now our head mechanic who can make 1000-10000$ in 1 night depending on what he builds.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:45   Link #87
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Guys... everything will be explained in due time like SAO arc. No need to rush judgments etc.

A lot of foreshadowing in this eps.
That sort of goes without saying, but we don't really need the reassuring hints. Until things are explained, people are going to speculate, and some may be annoyed/upset, and that's okay too.

(Personally, I was doing stuff with computers at age 6 and younger, though less "building" and more "using". Never been much of a hardware guy...)
Old 2012-10-13, 15:50   Link #88
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Cripes. This felt like a whole different show now that we're out of the game world. Suguha I'm mostly indifferent towards. She's cliche, but at the same time she could be much more annoying when it comes to the "non-blood related little sister" archetype character.

And about 300 people are still have their conciousness trapped somewhere even after Kayaba was defeated? How did that happen? Wasn't SAO supposed to be destroyed? I guess something's up considering that picture of her in a cage at the ending scene so I suppose we'll find out eventually.

Give this episode credit though, there's actually an emotional scene that I felt was convincing for once. That part where Kazuto felt absolutely helpless about not being able to do anything for Asuna while crying in his room, that struck a chord with me.~

Sugou's a slimeball, and it doesn't help that he technically has Asuna as a hostage. I think they might have exaggerated his antagonism just a touch though. The smelling Asuna's hair thing wasn't exactly called for.

But yeah, the main thought going through my head watching this episode was "is this REALLY the same show I was just watching for the past 3 months?" Not really a bad thing, it just gives a different feeling now.

Maybe it'll be better that the first half. I sure hope so.

Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-10-13 at 15:54. Reason: Added spoiler tag for comparison to the novels
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:51   Link #89
GDB

The most important question of all wasn't answered: what meal did Kazuto get for Klein?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:53   Link #90
Avaricia
My Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The most important question of all wasn't answered: what meal did Kazuto get for Klein?
Pizza of course
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:53   Link #91
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I think it's simply a case of human beings are sometimes in a position where they're vulnerable and need help, male and female alike.
It's not the same for male or females. Even when a male character needs help, they're usually not objectified this way. Asuna isn't only disempowered but also objectified as the prize for the hero to win. There's all kind of wrong with these sort of tropes.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:54   Link #92
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

"building" can just mean put the part in. really pretty sure his parent help him when he make 1st one

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:55   Link #93
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Asuna could be raped by Sugou in her hospital room at the any moment. It would make sense, but would that make for a good story?

No.
Not in the kind of story that SAO is, as it is neither that dark nor would it have made sense in the story, but in others? yes it can be.

Would the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo have been a good story if you take all the rape/abuse stuff out of it? No, as you'd gut the entire premise of the story.

Ironically, by your standard, Lisbeth Salander would be categorized as a damsel-in-distress too, and she's about the farthest thing from one.

Quote:
And I'm not implying Asuna's gonna be raped, btw. All I'm saying is making sense =! good. Shitty tropes are shitty tropes.

Now if you like it, good for you.
Objectively speaking, making sense doesn't always means it's good, but the use of any trope/cliche also doesn't always mean it's bad.

Subjectively, anything goes.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 15:55   Link #94
Dr. Casey

Quote:
It's not the same for male or females. Even when a male character needs help, they're usually not objectified this way. Asuna isn't only disempowered but also objectified as the prize for the hero to win. There's all kind of wrong with these sort of tropes.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.
Well Asuna's one sexy bitch, it makes sense that people would fight for her!

But yeah, hopefully SAO will win you back over. :p
Old 2012-10-13, 15:57   Link #95
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Guys, look. If they want to drop the series, let 'em. If they end up justified in doing so (i.e. quality drops from here on out) then they're justified. If it only gets better from here on out, we're not the ones who are missing out. No need to argue over why they want to leave if they're already convinced.
Old 2012-10-13, 15:59   Link #96
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
but the use of any trope/cliche also doesn't always mean it's bad.
True. It's only when the trope is bad to begin with.
Old 2012-10-13, 16:00   Link #97
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That sort of goes without saying, but we don't really need the reassuring hints. Until things are explained, people are going to speculate, and some may be annoyed/upset, and that's okay too.

(Personally, I was doing stuff with computers at age 6 and younger, though less "building" and more "using". Never been much of a hardware guy...)
I hear ya, I'm more geared towards the software point.
And that actually kinda plays on the "hacking" scene where he inputted absurd amount of commands in little time lol.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 16:04   Link #98
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

K just saw the whole episode. Damn, the way they started it. Hits my heart right away. ;-;

That opening, so good too I like it like SAO's. Wow the kendo fight is animated better than some SAO fights. xD

And then that darn person shows his ugly-fayse. Ugh. Go away . ;-;

Well the ending was great though. Focuses on one character.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 16:14   Link #99
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Guys, look. If they want to drop the series, let 'em. If they end up justified in doing so (i.e. quality drops from here on out) then they're justified. If it only gets better from here on out, we're not the ones who are missing out. No need to argue over why they want to leave if they're already convinced.
I don't think I was hassling Kazu too much, really (since I only argued for two posts, my third post towards him was a jokey one letting things go), and I don't think Kazu's the irritable type that would be annoyed by someone politely arguing with him for a bit.
Old 2012-10-13, 16:16   Link #100
Mephos

Ok, let me just get this off my chest right now. DIE SUGOU YOU PIECE OF(Everything omitted due to language)!!

Now onto the episode itself. I liked it, the new OP+ED, Suguha, the tension build up so early, Suguha, Kirito having some form of skills with a sword outside Aincrad, and Suguha.

Though I still don't get why people would drop this series because Asuna is unconscious in a hospital and trapped in a game which prevents her from doing anything in real life.
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote