AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-02-02, 04:45   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Origins of Kirito and Asuna's Romance: Theories and Discussion

I received a request for a discussion topic, and I think it could result in some interesting discussion.

One of the main plot threads in the SAO Aincrad arc was the development of the romance between Kazuto (Kirito) and Asuna. But it can be a bit murky to trace the exact origins of their feelings for each other and how those developed. So, for consideration, these two questions:

1. When do you think Asuna fell in love with Kirito? Please explain and justify your answer.

2. When did Kirito fall in love with Asuna? Please explain and justify your answer.

You may also use this thread to discuss other topics related to the development of their romance in the story, but please do not discuss matters from beyond the animated content outside of clearly-marked spoiler tags. (If you don't know what I mean by "clearly-marked", please read this first.)

Also, should be obvious, but this thread should not be used for any converse shipping purposes, or for anything that is better covered by another thread in this sub-forum.
Old 2013-02-02, 06:56   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
You may also use this thread to discuss other topics related to the development of their romance in the story, but please do not discuss matters from beyond the animated content outside of clearly-marked spoiler tags. (If you don't know what I mean by "clearly-marked", please read this first.)
So this is Anime Only? Good, that would be fair.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 07:47   Link #3
belatkuro
Kuro-chan

1. Episode 5. More specifically the time she fell asleep beneath the tree. She explained this already to the fisherman, Nishida, in episode 13 so I'm just gonna paraphrase/repeat it a bit.
She was hard-pressed to clear the game and would use any means to clear floors, as seen in the first part of episode 5. Then she saw Kirito laying back, sleeping well, and enjoying life in the game later in the same episode. She saw someone treating the game as another reality and living well in the present. She wanted to know more about him after the whole mystery incident. Eventually, she fell for him, as hinted in episode 7 with her reaction to seeing Kirito after the Liz quest, meeting him up in Agil's shop in episode 8 and so on.

2. Episode 9, after the boss fight with Gleameyes. Asuna was willing to take a break from KoB and party with him. And she showed concern for his reckless action in the boss fight that touched Kirito. The short flashbacks of Asuna kind of said that he's warming up to her.
He even confessed to her about the Black Cats guild in episode 10 as a sign of trust. He expected her to be disgusted with him for being the only survivor. But she stayed on his side and even said that she'll protect her. He refrained from embracing her though but he did raise his hand up, indicating that he wanted to return the action.
The final push would probably be the Kuradeel attempted murder in the same episode. He wanted someone to be with him after that incident. You could call it a spur of the moment or a suspension bridge effect though but he fell for her there and even declared that he'll protect her.

I'm not good at arguments though so pick it apart if you'd like.
belatkuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 08:07   Link #4
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

This will end well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belatkuro View Post
1. Episode 5. More specifically the time she fell asleep beneath the tree. She explained this already to the fisherman, Nishida, in episode 13 so I'm just gonna paraphrase/repeat it a bit.
She was hard-pressed to clear the game and would use any means to clear floors, as seen in the first part of episode 5. Then she saw Kirito laying back, sleeping well, and enjoying life in the game later in the same episode. She saw someone treating the game as another reality and living well in the present. She wanted to know more about him after the whole mystery incident. Eventually, she fell for him, as hinted in episode 7 with her reaction to seeing Kirito after the Liz quest, meeting him up in Agil's shop in episode 8 and so on.

2. Episode 9, after the boss fight with Gleameyes. Asuna was willing to take a break from KoB and party with him. And she showed concern for his reckless action in the boss fight that touched Kirito. The short flashbacks of Asuna kind of said that he's warming up to her.
He even confessed to her about the Black Cats guild in episode 10 as a sign of trust. He expected her to be disgusted with him for being the only survivor. But she stayed on his side and even said that she'll protect her. He refrained from embracing her though but he did raise his hand up, indicating that he wanted to return the action.
The final push would probably be the Kuradeel attempted murder in the same episode. He wanted someone to be with him after that incident. You could call it a spur of the moment or a suspension bridge effect though but he fell for her there and even declared that he'll protect her.

I'm not good at arguments though so pick it apart if you'd like.
Adding to your point. From the end of episode 2 to the beginning of episode 5, something must have happened to sour his his initial amicable relationship with Asuna. It may be a combination of Asuna's zealous pursuance to completing the game and Kirito's loner status in the aftermath of episode 3. This is anime based speculation.
Old 2013-02-02, 12:33   Link #5
Haiprbim
Banned

I personally think that the feelings were going on slowly.

The first "spark" was the time when they were eating bread and Kirito gave Asuna something to put on top of it. No one actually had any feelings to be that close as they were in the end at that time, nor thought of that.

The second impression was the look on Kirito's face when Asuna's hood fell down, showing her being a girl.

After the 1st boss was beaten, Asuna went after Kirito to the top of the stairs, and she must have felt something because she took what he said to her seriously. She took on the front-lines extremely well with no grace, as we can she later how she wanted to beat the boss by sacrificing the NPCs of a town, saying how they can respawn on which Kirito disagreed.

After that, there were many moments that brought the two closer and closer.

However, there was a huge moment under the tree, for Asuna, at least.
The most beautiful weather in the most beautiful time of the year, as described by Kirito.
As we can see later, that is what made Asuna loosen up, and she was really thankful for Kirito to show her what life can be like.

They were getting closer and closer even more, and there were a lot of dramatic moments as saving each others' life or asking for each other to get married.

Anyhow, the steps went on perfectly and they ended together as two people in mad love.

Really nice, Romance of SAO is on it's maximum.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-02, 13:09   Link #6
Neheigh

thank you very much for taking my thread request relentlessflame im sorry for the long email and making you sit through my weird conclusions befor the thread was even made but these are my thoughts on the matter im popping them on spoiler as they do have refrences from the manga and light novel

Spoiler for combination of manga light novel and anime ref's:
Neheigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 02:24   Link #7
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Spoiler for Not sure if anime only, so just in case:
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:20   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Spoiler for Highlights in the Romance Development of Kazuto and Asuna:
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 04:24   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

What!? This specific topic warrant it's own thread !? Too much sap would make the walls here all mushy!

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-02-03 at 04:40.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 06:09   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What!? This specific topic warrant it's own thread !? Too much sap would make the walls here all mushy!
I've no problem with a specific topic getting its own thread as long as it seems like it might generate interesting discussion. At this point, the amount of topics to discuss has gone down anyway, until the next anime season is announced.
Old 2014-09-03, 16:45   Link #11
rdtx2013

Sorry i'm about a year late, just watched this series

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
1. When do you think Asuna fell in love with Kirito? Please explain and justify your answer.
I wouldn't say the field moment as the others.. that moment really allowed her to "live life"

I would say during the boss fight of the first floor... and really forced the issue when she Tsundere'd him when she invite him over for dinner after he joined the guild

Quote:
2. When did Kirito fall in love with Asuna? Please explain and justify your answer.
When she saved him from the Poison and death.. he literally said he has given his life to her.
rdtx2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 22:12   Link #12
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Okay I'm gonna go slightly off topic here. It's generally accepted that the two did the nasty numerous times during SAO and in ALO now as well. So how does that work anyway? Do they get to have all the fun without any of the consequences?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 22:20   Link #13
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Okay I'm gonna go slightly off topic here. It's generally accepted that the two did the nasty numerous times during SAO and in ALO now as well. So how does that work anyway? Do they get to have all the fun without any of the consequences?
Presumably. It's not like Asuna could've gotten pregnant in the game, and I find it unlikely that there's any consequences like STDs in game... and even if there was, Kirito and Asuna seemed to be exclusive to one another, so that really wouldn't be an issue for them.

The only real consequences would be how it affects their relationship and their mental states, and there's nothing the game could do about that. But the physical dangers likely aren't present.
Old 2014-09-04, 00:18   Link #14
Darthtabby

Does ALO even have that feature enabled?

One complication with the origins of Kirito and Asuna's romance is that newer material like the Anime and the Progressive stories/manga retcons them as having met earlier in the game. Though I guess having them interact a lot more early on doesn't necessarily mean they were falling for each prior to the events that the novel indicates made them fall for each other. Though I wouldn't necessarily mind a retcon in that regard if it did a better job of leading up to them getting together.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 00:24   Link #15
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Presumably. It's not like Asuna could've gotten pregnant in the game, and I find it unlikely that there's any consequences like STDs in game... and even if there was, Kirito and Asuna seemed to be exclusive to one another, so that really wouldn't be an issue for them.

The only real consequences would be how it affects their relationship and their mental states, and there's nothing the game could do about that. But the physical dangers likely aren't present.
This every step of the way

That said I would say the first time Kirito realized he had feelings for her was when she undressed infront of him in her house, me being a male understands his denseness to the opposite sex feelings and takes something like that for men to realize what their acctually feeling. Also that scene still makes me laugh to this day
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 02:39   Link #16
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
This every step of the way

That said I would say the first time Kirito realized he had feelings for her was when she undressed infront of him in her house, me being a male understands his denseness to the opposite sex feelings and takes something like that for men to realize what their acctually feeling. Also that scene still makes me laugh to this day
Well at that point he knew he loved her and she loved him. It's just that he didn't knew Asuna would be that eager to consummate so fast.

A better question would be if he actually cockblocked himself that night. I mean Asuna was throwing herself at him so I would be pretty mad if they didn't do it since that's just not cool.

Last edited by omimon; 2014-09-04 at 02:52.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 06:25   Link #17
dotdotslash

Presumably

I guess a bit OT, but from the anime presumably ALO does have 'that feature', although it could be imagined that enabling it requites GM override. At least that's the implication of Sugou's threats at the end. If not then what was he going to do, continue to lick Asuna's tears until he broke her and then repeat the same IRL?

The LN version of Kirito's and Asuna's relationship is a bit too compressed for my taste, it works but could be improved with some fuller details (which the side stories retcon on). IMO, the other problem is that the relationship was really part of the single arc for Aincard and while I find it nice that the author has kept them together, it's also a bit of a pain because given the origins of their romance there would seem to be a lot of interesting ways to explore its implications further which are largely ignored in favor of going to a semi-harem approach (albeit with none of the other girls having a chance).
dotdotslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 10:44   Link #18
rdtx2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
i believe they "turned off" the Ethics part of the game... at least that i what i dug up searching around...
rdtx2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 11:20   Link #19
Gravitas Free Zone

I'm surprised there weren't giant sex parties going on in Aincrad, given that it was fully-immersive VR and these people didn't know if they'd ever get out of there alive.

(Then again, maybe there were, it's just that nobody talked about Fight Club.)
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-04, 17:27   Link #20
Psyco Diver

I wonder if you had to be married to do the dirty deed, I remember Asuna mentioning people getting married for no reason other than to share loot
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote